Need TX truck advise [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need TX truck advise

SMOKEin
04-11-2007, 08:56
About to buy a new truck. Will I need 4x4 at the boat ramps or to go hunting or anything you can think of? Always had 4x4 here, never used it at the boat ramp because there nice concrete poured, but I do use it going up the mountains or muddy back roads when hunting. Do you guys find that you need the 4WD for those activities?

Kinny
04-11-2007, 10:17
If all you do is drive in the city or use it at the boat ramp, then no. If you will go off roading on your property, then yes. Weather here is unpredictable, and it can get quite muddy at times. I've gotten stuck before and 4WD saves me quite a few times.

SMOKEin
04-11-2007, 13:55
Originally posted by Kinny
If all you do is drive in the city or use it at the boat ramp, then no. If you will go off roading on your property, then yes. Weather here is unpredictable, and it can get quite muddy at times. I've gotten stuck before and 4WD saves me quite a few times.

I wont have enough property to worry about that myself, but i hope to do lots of exploring around the state while hunting and fishing.. maybe its just better to cough up the extra 2mpg and go 4x4..

Kinny
04-11-2007, 14:18
It comes in handle when you need it. :)

cwood
04-11-2007, 15:26
but it DOES let you get stuck farther back in the pasture.

Just something my Daddy once told me.

nate527
04-11-2007, 20:10
Depends where in TX. If your in Dallas don't be worried about snow- we get ice. Up until recently you needed a long armed crane to put a boat in the water around here.

RPBROWN
04-12-2007, 16:48
Originally posted by cwood
but it DOES let you get stuck farther back in the pasture.

Just something my Daddy once told me.

AND STUCK DEEPER

SMOKEin
04-14-2007, 06:14
Originally posted by nate527
Depends where in TX. If your in Dallas don't be worried about snow- we get ice. Up until recently you needed a long armed crane to put a boat in the water around here.

please dont talk like that.. all droughts will end when i get there..

bburgi
04-14-2007, 07:17
-----

cwood
04-14-2007, 07:45
Originally posted by RPBROWN
AND STUCK DEEPER

Excellent additional point.

Don't get me wrong, I like 4WD, but this stuff does happen.

kafromet
04-18-2007, 11:00
Originally posted by cwood
Don't get me wrong, I like 4WD, but this stuff does happen. Agreed, but I think it has more to do with the tendency of 4x4 to make the driver feel invicible than it does with flaws in 4x4 itself. :thumbsup:

APD
04-19-2007, 21:30
I do not have 4WD currently but the next truck I buy will have it. I have needed it a few times and was SOL.
If you do not want to go 4WD you can get a truck with a locking differential at least (I think Chevy has it). I have a LSD and it works ok but a locking is better than it.
If you use the concrete boat ramps with a small to medium sized boat you should not need 4WD. I have dropped a 21 ft Mako several times with no problems but it was a nice concrete ramp. If you go near sand or dirt with a boat get the 4 wheel drive.
What kind ya looking at if ya don't mind me asking? I will not
critique your make, only curious.

SMOKEin
04-22-2007, 12:04
Originally posted by APD
I do not have 4WD currently but the next truck I buy will have it. I have needed it a few times and was SOL.
If you do not want to go 4WD you can get a truck with a locking differential at least (I think Chevy has it). I have a LSD and it works ok but a locking is better than it.
If you use the concrete boat ramps with a small to medium sized boat you should not need 4WD. I have dropped a 21 ft Mako several times with no problems but it was a nice concrete ramp. If you go near sand or dirt with a boat get the 4 wheel drive.
What kind ya looking at if ya don't mind me asking? I will not
critique your make, only curious.

thanks for the info..

I looked at them all..

Ford - Way to expensive in the four door model.
Chevy - While ive had 3, I just dont like the new design.
Dodge - Hemi Quad Cab was 6k off rebate and all the options I needed were sitting on the lot.

2007 Dodge 1500 QC Hemi 3.95 LSD 4x4.. Last truck was a 2500HD and was much more suitable for heavy loads, hope the Dodge handles the boat good, I'm well within the rating of the vehicle.

APD
04-23-2007, 16:58
Dodge has its good and its bad. I have been somewhat satisfied for the last few years with mine. PM inbound.