Open Carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry?

Korey5640
04-11-2007, 09:52
Kind of a newbie question but I am not 21 y/o so therefore cannot obtain my CPL. I was curious, however, what, if any, regulations there are for open carry in the State of Michigan. Obviously I know that in a motor vehicle is a no-no, but anything else?

I wouldn't just be out and about at like Home Depot carrying but I was curious, for instance, if I was out in the yard, middle of summer, carrying and then decide to walk down the block to the corner store to buy a pop and then walking home...legal? I know not to do anything that would cause anyone to call the cops, because I do not want to be a problem to the locals, but on this block/area...no one minds guns. :thumbsup:

Punctilious1
04-11-2007, 11:03
It's legal to open carry. But if you do it in a populated area you'll likely get harassed about it.

phool
04-11-2007, 12:12
check your local ordinances as well... I know for instance Madison Heights had/has something in their ordinances banning the open carrying of weapons.

I'm not saying it's state constitutionally legal for them to do that, in fact it may not be. But if you don't have lots of money for lawyers, I wouldn't try it in a place that has ordinances against it.

jooos
04-11-2007, 20:08
I’d also check with your local prosecutor, it would be up to them to decide to prosecute. Usually they throw the Brandishing charge at you. Luckily for all us Michiganders it is the opinion of State attorney general (Michel Cox) that open carry is not considering brandishing.

I live in a rural area, and I often open carry to the gas station, or if I have to run into town. I’ve never had an issue with any one. I checked with the Sheriff’s office first to see what they would do if I was to open carry, I got different answers depending on the person I spoke with. My lawyer sat on the local Gun Board for years, I’m not real worried about it.

:thumbsup:

MKG23
04-11-2007, 20:28
If you have CCW and open carry (for instance going to the gas station), wouldn't the Sheriff give you some crap because you have a CCW and that means "concealed carry" if somone reported you???

jooos
04-11-2007, 21:01
Originally posted by MKG23
If you have CCW and open carry (for instance going to the gas station), wouldn't the Sheriff give you some crap because you have a CCW and that means "concealed carry" if somone reported you???

No, because Michigan is an Open Carry state, just because I have a CCW doesn't mean I'm not able to exercise all of my rights? The beauty about this is if I am open carrying and do decide to cover up, I'm still within my legal right to do so because of my CCW.
Also as you would expect to find depending on the LEO you come into contact with there reaction to open carry will vary greatly, those who are not opposed to open carry will often not give you "crap" as those who are opposed to open carry will be the ones to disarm you put you in the back of there squad car, try to lean on you all the while expressing their lack of understanding about you exercising your right to open carry.
I have two friends who are LEO's and it's funny that one is pro gun for private citizens, one is not. We take range trips together often and it's funny when this topic comes up, makes for interesting conversation, not so much anymore because we've all had our say and each one of us knows the other persons views by now. However I will say that my friend who would at one time would have like to see mine and your gun rights go the way of the Dodo, isn't so hard core anymore, I think he's seen what a good can come from private citizen's who take the time to become Proficient and educated about the weapons they own!

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/

Tito
04-12-2007, 12:12
Why in the world would you want to open carry? All you're doing is drawing attention to yourself and losing the element of surprise. Open carry strikes me as tactically unsound.

Plus every Q-tip that sees you is going call the police and report a man with a gun.

The only advantage I can think of is to compensate for defeciencies in certain parts of your anatomy, or to make a political statement, neither of which serve any real practical purpose.

jooos
04-12-2007, 14:03
Originally posted by Tito
Why in the world would you want to open carry? All you're doing is drawing attention to yourself and losing the element of surprise. Open carry strikes me as tactically unsound.

Plus every Q-tip that sees you is going call the police and report a man with a gun.

The only advantage I can think of is to compensate for defeciencies in certain parts of your anatomy, or to make a political statement, neither of which serve any real practical purpose.

Hey, Tito congratulations one being the first jack-arses of this thread to make a personal attack on someone who believes other than you!!! I know I’m going to get flamed for responding to this, and I know I should just ignore your little jab at my manhood, but what the hey you asked for it so here ya go…

Frist I’m sick and tired of everyone who doesn’t agree with open carry always spouting off at the mouth about anyone who choses to open carry losing the “Tactile Advantage” Please share with us your extensive knowledge or experience about all the incidents you can prove with written documentation. Please, I’m always eager to learn, and unlike you are open to listening to anyone who intelligently converses and conveys those beliefs and opinions.

If you read my post I only expressed my own experience with my open carry, and even advised the young man to check with his local prosecutor and law enforcement offices first. However living in Michigan we do have the right to open carry…. End of conversation. That really should be something you try to understand, there are lots of practices people do I may not agree with but if they have a legal right to be doing them, while not encroaching on any of my own personal freedoms, or causing harm, so be it…

I of course do not open carry everywhere I go or more than I conceal but it’s a personal choice when I do. As for your opinion that “The only advantage I can think of is to compensate for deficiencies in certain parts of your anatomy.” As far as I’m concerned you can wrap your lips around the alleged deficiency of the anatomy and when you’re done you tell me!

Brigrat
04-12-2007, 14:32
as an outsider looking in on this converstaion, the thought occurred to me that there may be a tactical disadvantage to open carry, but there is also a deterent factor with open carry.

The question is...does the deterent factor of open carry outweigh the tactical disadvantages lost by open carry (i.e. the element of suprise)?

This is a personal decision that a person must weigh for themselves. I generally carry concealed, but do open carry at times...

MKG23
04-12-2007, 19:16
I carry concealed 99% of the time also but it's nice to know that when I'm up north camping I don't have to be worried that a C.O. is going to come walking into my camp site and hassle me for open carrying because I have a CCW permit. Thanks JOOOS for the good info.:thumbsup:

jooos
04-12-2007, 19:25
Originally posted by MKG23
I carry concealed 99% of the time also but it's nice to know that when I'm up north camping I don't have to be worried that a C.O. is going to come walking into my camp site and hassle me for open carrying because I have a CCW permit. Thanks JOOOS for the good info.:thumbsup:

Well you still need to be careful where you are camping. If a campsite has a no weapons policy and it is posted you need to observe those rules. It's even more tricky once you get into State vs Federal owned camp sites and land.

Zippy06
04-13-2007, 17:30
Jooos. Not to step on your argument. But, I noticed "tito" lists location in TJ, mexico.
Last, I heard mexican citizens, are not allowed to own or posses firearms.
Like Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela, Columbia, etc...........

leadfootdriver
04-29-2007, 00:39
I think it's pretty dumb to carry a gun out in the open in urban areas. It's asking for trouble; that's just common sence to me. You might get away with it if you carried a 6 shooter though... Don't forget the spurs, and cowboy hat. :upeyes:

leadfootdriver
04-29-2007, 00:55
Tactile Advantage

I think people who have this phrase in their vocabulary for the most part should just get it over with and have a shoot out. Because the core of your being is a gun obsessed dementia of a percieved inevitable stand off. Last man alive wins. :rofl: :upeyes:

Fukkers like you can't wait to shoot someone. Lighten up Francis... :laughabove: