can you drive a atv on the street [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can you drive a atv on the street

glockingtime
04-11-2007, 22:07
can you drive a atv on the street

and back roads in marion co fl

if so what do i need on it and what size motor?

Rusty Shackleford
04-12-2007, 06:01
Check out this site: www.google.com

This came up in the very first result:

Section 316.2074, F.S. All-terrain vehicles
(1) It is the intent of the Legislature through the adoption of this section to provide safety protection for
minors while operating an all-terrain vehicle in this state.
(2) As used in this section, the term "all-terrain vehicle" means any motorized off-highway vehicle 50 inches
or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure
tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended
for use by a single operator with no passenger.
(3) No person under 16 years of age shall operate, ride, or be otherwise propelled on an allterrain
vehicle unless the person wears a safety helmet meeting United States Department
of Transportation standards and eye protection.
(4) If a crash results in the death of any person or in the injury of any person which results in treatment of
the person by a physician, the operator of each all-terrain vehicle involved in the crash shall give notice of the
crash pursuant to s. 316.066.
(5) Except as provided in this section, an all-terrain vehicle may not be operated upon the
public roads, streets, or highways of this state, except as otherwise permitted by the managing
state or federal agency.
(6) An all-terrain vehicle having four wheels may be used by police officers on public beaches designated as
public roadways for the purpose of enforcing the traffic laws of the state. All-terrain vehicles may also be used
by the police to travel on public roadways within 5 miles of beach access only when getting to and from the
beach.
(7) An all-terrain vehicle having four wheels may be used by law enforcement officers on public roads within
public lands while in the course and scope of their duties.
(8) A violation of this section is a non-criminal traffic infraction, punishable as a non-moving violation as
provided in chapter 318.

That said, people do it all the time around here and I don't see anyone enforcing it.

sidewinder6
04-12-2007, 13:11
Originally posted by glockingtime
can you drive a atv on the street

and back roads in marion co fl

if so what do i need on it and what size motor?

Until you get caught. There is the whole thing about lights and license plates and probably some other silly stuff on any motor vehicle that is greater than 5 brake horse power.

Rusty Shackleford
04-15-2007, 05:14
Glockingtime,

You asked a question that you could have easily answered yourself if you'd taken the time to search Google. No problem. I did it for you and posted the answer here. Again, no problem; since I didn't know the answer myself, I learned something in the process.

But after I've posted the answer to your question in the forum and thread where it was asked, it makes you seem like somewhat of a tool when you PM me asking the SAME DAMN QUESTION again.

You'll find people on GlockTalk will be happy to help you and answer your questions, even if they're ones that you should be able to answer without help.. but people aren't going to be very tolerant of cross-posting the same questions repeatedly ("where can I shoot near Marion County/Ocala"), or PM'ing people questions that they've already answered for you. If there are details you're unclear on, specify what they are and ask about them.

Dandapani
04-15-2007, 06:09
Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford
That said, people do it all the time around here and I don't see anyone enforcing it.

Yup. They fly up and down my newly paved road all the time now. I guess it is better having them fly on the new smooth road than the old, pothole filed, lime rock road we used to have.