Tell me about Salt Lake City [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Salt Lake City

proactive
04-12-2007, 13:38
Hello Utah Glockers! I may have a job opportunity in the SLC area. What are some pros and cons of living there? Great areas to buy a house? Areas to avoid, etc? Thanks in advance.

GixxerSixxer
04-12-2007, 14:07
Avoid Rose Park if you can.

The East Side tends to be a bit more affluent than the West side. Holladay, Millcreek, and Cottonwood Heights are nice areas. Sandy is hit and miss depending on where you are.

You may have to go North or South of Salt Lake City to buy a starter homes if you're just staring your career. West Jordan, South Jordan, Herriman, Lehi, Kaysville, and Fruit Heights are places that can accommodate a starter home.

The valley is easy to navigate around. Everything is on the grid system so if you could draw those grid pictures in elementary school you'll be fine.

Mormon, non-Mormon it doesn't matter to me. I don't think the Mormons have suppressed the non-Mormons in the Salt Lake Valley. Some places have a higher amount of LDS but I'm not one to hold ones religion against people.

Guns are supported here. You can own NFA toys easily. CCW permits are easy to obtain.

We get inversions and crappy air throughout the year. Mainly in the winter.

Kaliber
04-12-2007, 16:37
Originally posted by proactive
Hello Utah Glockers! I may have a job opportunity in the SLC area. What are some pros and cons of living there? Great areas to buy a house? Areas to avoid, etc? Thanks in advance.

Some random thoughts....to me it's an ideal place to live, not too big, but not too small. I wouldn't mind a bit on the smaller side actually. Recreation stuff is all taken care of with mountains/desert/water all in close proximity. I can't imagine living somewhere without the mountains. Very gun friendly. Mormon/non-Mormon really is a non-issue for most people. Traffic can suck sometimes mainly due to increasing population. Road construction abounds.

Housing prices have gone through the roof since about 2004. I'd say 15-20% appreciation per year since that time, depending on where you live. Good for those that already are homeowners, but sucks for those who were late to the party. The general rule for housing is you can have an older home with a smaller lot on the east side, or a newer home with more space on the west side for the same price. I'd personally avoid the west side anywhere north of West Jordan, but that's just me. (no offense to anyone living there) The southwest corner of the valley is growing like nuts and is pretty nice. Check www.utahrealestate.com to get an idea of prices.

Other randomness....the economy is super-strong right now and unemployment is non existent. Weather suits me great. Spring & Fall are perfect, Summer not too hot, Winter can be hit and miss. It's nice when there are plenty of storms and it snows lots, other times because of the mountains we get temperature inversions and are stuck with smog for weeks on end.

As for cons....well I don't care much for the local politicians. The SLC mayor drives most everybody nuts. There isn't a single politician willing to take action on the illegal immigration issue. But they can sure run their mouths. I'm not much of a nightlife person, but SLC doesn't offer a whole lot in that area. Education here isn't the best, but not the worst either. I'd say wages are a little low considering the increasing cost of housing.

All else aside, when you get here I'd recommend eating at Crown Burger. :)

~Kaliber

TMG
04-12-2007, 17:02
Originally posted by proactive

+1 what Kaliber said.

Your profile says Florida? I came from Seattle. The main problem I had was lack of humidity. So be prepared for some nose bleeds..lol Remember, It's still a desert climate. You'll see more extreme temprature as compared to Florida. Hot summers and Colder winters. Other then that, it's a great place to live!!

muscles
04-12-2007, 17:23
i lived in south jordan in salt lake county for years. it was a good place. nice homes and plenty of job opportunity. good for family life. it depends on what your lifestyle is i guess. good for shooting and outdoors as others have mentioned. the downside to the area as i see it is the air quality/smog. it gets really nasty in the valley during inversion times. i have since moved a couple hours away.

proactive
04-12-2007, 17:51
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the input. As for the climate, I've only been in Florida for a few years. We moved down here from Colorado (for work), and have been aching to move back west ever since.

You've all been very helpful with your info.:thumbsup:

reerc
04-12-2007, 23:14
I live in Utah County, so to me, SLC is "The BIG CITY" - actually, bigger than I like, so I'm not much good for advice here.

I come to SLC for events when I have to - "Thriller" at Halloween! :banana:

Oh, and +1 on the Crown Burger - with pastrami.

:supergrin:

phox_mulder
04-13-2007, 11:47
I live in Sandy, work in downtown Salt Lake City.

Trax (light rail) makes it easy to get to/from work, and don't have to deal with finding parking (very hard for a 7ft tall truck) or paying for it (upwards of $75 a month).
Right now it only runs down the middle of the valley, but they are expanding west soon.

+1 on the previous posts.

Oh, Trax now has a stop right by the Southtowne Expo Center, home of the Crossroads of the West Gunshow. :thumbsup:

phox

proactive
04-13-2007, 18:44
Thanks reerc and mulder.:thumbsup:

UtahIrishman
04-13-2007, 22:51
Salt Lake City and Vicinity,called the Wasatch Front, is changing rapidly. I think it's still a cool place to live but it is getting more and more crowded all the time. With the increase in population comes an associated increase in housing costs, crime etc.

But the area is a remarkably nice area to live in despite some of these new nuisances. I live in West Jordan but if I had my preferences, and the money, I'd take the Holladay area or up by the University of Utah. Those areas have charm which some of the other suburbs of SLC lack. I'm not saying other areas aren't nice, they're just a bit bland.

Areas to avoid? Rose Park and the industrial areas around the freeways. Also certain areas of the downtown, though most of the downtown is a vibrant lively place. It's not a sleepy little town anymore.

As expected there is a strong Mormon influence. Most people don't notice it in their every day life. I've met some people that have moved to the area say otherwise, including out of state Mormons, but overall religion is a non-issue here.

I'll chime in on Crown Burger as well. Excellent food. Or if your tastes are more cosmopolitan there are many excellent restaurants in the downtown area, including a Beni-Hana's which I think everyone should experience at least once. There's also Market Street Grill for excellent fresh sea-food and lots of good Greek food in little diners all over town.

Weather wise the inversions here can be a beast. But spring time weather as well as fall can be absolutely beautiful. Today it is 52 degrees and gorgeous. I'm not as fond of the winters as I used to be, but they aren't too bad. There's actually five seasons here though...Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer and Construction. :supergrin:

UtahBen
04-14-2007, 12:24
UtahIrishman...sounds like you and I have similiar tastes when it comes to eating out! If you want a really good deal, go to Benihana for lunch and ask for the "Chowdown" (It's not on the muenu, but is a very good deal for 2 people.

Sigfried's Deli (German food) on 200 South is awesome as well. They are now open for dinner at a great price on Thursday, Firday, and Saturday nights.

UtahIrishman
04-14-2007, 15:12
UtahBen,

I forgot about Siegfrid's Deli. Good catch. I used to go to lunch there a lot when I lived closer to the down town. I haven't been in there in years. I'll have to go down and check out their dinner menu.

There's also an Indian restaurant on 3rd South that is good. Star of India is the name I think.

The one thing I haven't found yet is a really good Chinese restaurant. There are quite a few that are decent but nothing outstanding.

I like ethnic foods.

edited to add: Almost forgot a Salt Lake City icon, Lamb's on Main street. Not ethnic but it is interesting and a definite must visit.

Cat Juggler
04-14-2007, 18:21
+1 to the above posts.

I'd just like to add that in spite of the growth explosion, I still love living here. If you like golf, there are fantastic courses here at cheap prices. Same with the skiing. Fishing is pretty good, too.

UtahBen
04-15-2007, 00:16
Originally posted by UtahIrishman
UtahBen,

The one thing I haven't found yet is a really good Chinese restaurant. There are quite a few that are decent but nothing outstanding.

The best Chinese I have found is The Mandarin in Bountiful. It really is awesome, even if it is a bit of a drive.

proactive
04-15-2007, 17:30
Thanks, everyone! A lot of useful info in this thread. :beer:

jeaprdy
04-19-2007, 13:57
Sorry to go off topic but for good Chinese try P.F. Chang's downtown or Magic Wok off of Bangerter (crappy service but the lemon chicken is very,very good.) Then again I could eat at Panda Express every day for the rest of my life. :banana:

Gibbles
04-19-2007, 21:26
Just to add my input, if you don't mind driving a little every day, my favorite areas are Farmington, Centerville, North salt lake, and Bountiful. They have some nice and quiet suburbs, and you don't get the lake smell very often.

Cokeman
04-19-2007, 22:30
Originally posted by UtahBen
The best Chinese I have found is The Mandarin in Bountiful. It really is awesome, even if it is a bit of a drive.

Joy Luck in Sandy is really good too.

Cokeman
04-19-2007, 22:36
Originally posted by UtahIrishman
There's also an Indian restaurant on 3rd South that is good. Star of India is the name I think.

I didn't think that one was that good. I was there on business and ended up eating there. The health inspector showed up during lunch and locked the place down with us and other customers inside. That made me feel good. I at least got to see the kitchen before eating. It looked good. The owner said that they were shut down because they didn't have a working mop sink. I don't know. :upeyes:

Bombay House in Provo is the best Indian food that I have had in Utah. It's my favorite restaurant.

Cokeman
04-19-2007, 22:42
Originally posted by jeaprdy
Sorry to go off topic but for good Chinese try P.F. Chang's downtown or Magic Wok off of Bangerter (crappy service but the lemon chicken is very,very good.) Then again I could eat at Panda Express every day for the rest of my life. :banana:

Is Magic Wok on the NE corner of Bangerter and 4500 S or something? If so, that place is a rat hole.

I used to know what the kitchen of every Coke serving restaurant in Utah county and lots in SL county were like. Now I have to ask my employees before I go to eat.

If you guys want to know what places are safe to eat in and which aren't, I can tell you.

Cat Juggler
04-21-2007, 19:13
How's the Hong Kong Tea House? I have heard it's good and I am looking for an alternative to Pf Changs.
thanks

reerc
04-22-2007, 10:41
Originally posted by Gibbles
Just to add my input, if you don't mind driving a little every day, my favorite areas are Farmington, Centerville, North salt lake, and Bountiful. They have some nice and quiet suburbs, and you don't get the lake smell very often.

+1.

We lived in Farmington for ten years when I worked at Hill Air Force Base, and had just built a new house in Kaysville, when I got a job at Novell and moved BACK to Utah County, where it (I) all began.

Cokeman
04-22-2007, 23:49
Originally posted by Cat Juggler
How's the Hong Kong Tea House? I have heard it's good and I am looking for an alternative to Pf Changs.
thanks

Where is that one? Must be Pepsi?