Sumter, SC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sumter, SC

jBrian
04-12-2007, 16:53
Anyone in, around, or near Sumter? I am moving from the upstate and I am trying to find places to shoot in the area. Also, any advise on areas to look at or avoid when it comes to housing? Thanks!

Glockphobia
04-12-2007, 18:21
manchester state forest? i think, my mother and nephew lives in sumter. he told me that some of his friends went shooting their. i'll check and let you know.

The Pontificator
04-13-2007, 09:14
1. Manchester State Forest. Located 7 miles South of Wedgefield, SC on state highway 261.

Hours:

Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am - 5:00pm

Fee: Day pass is $5. Annual pass is $25.

Separate ranges for handguns and long guns. All ranges are COLD and are supervised by volunteer range safety officers who call the range "hot" and "cold".

Wearing of holstered firearms is prohibited. No "holster work".

2. Mid-Carolina Rifle Club near South Congaree, SC (southwest of Columbia)

Annual dues are $200/year. You actually pay $100 with the other hundred being "held back" unless you break the rules. They're giving you a $100/year discount as an incentive to behave.

All sorts of discplines there: IDPA, USPSA, CMP, SASS, etc.

go to www.scfirearms.org for a link to the club.

The Pontificator
04-13-2007, 09:27
I'm not knocking Manchester but if you are interested in doing self-defense drills that is not the place to go. That range, owned by the state and operated by the state forestry commission, is designed for the least competent shooter. "nuff said.

In contrast, Mid-Carolina rifle club encourages the wearing of hot, holstered firearms. They also offer free CWP classes as part of the membership package.

Kalashnikova
04-20-2007, 10:31
I din't know that Mid Carolina offered free CWP classes. I will have to join soon.

glockrod
04-20-2007, 15:00
Tell me your price range, and I'll point you to some good areas. Tell me where you are working, and I'll let you know whats close. It'd be better to PM me.

Rod

The Pontificator
04-20-2007, 16:22
Unless you're a retired WOOF, why would you want to move to Sumter?

Yuck. :puking: