Where's all the turkey hunting threads!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the turkey hunting threads!!

nyredneck
04-12-2007, 20:20
C’mon guys usually by this time of year everyone is regaling GT with their tales of victory (or defeat) in the turkey woods. This year one thread?!?! Turkey season doesn’t start for a few more weeks in NY and I’m having withdrawals!! The way it looks I’ll be turkey hunting in the snow!! So fellow Gters regale me with your tales of daring do in the turkey woods!!!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/NYREDNECK2/turkeygif.gif

noway
04-13-2007, 08:19
it's been all defeat for me so far. The nearest bird I called in got to about 80 yards of decoys and hanged up big time. Will be out for 2 more days of the next upcoming weekends and that's it for me. I have until April 22 to get my one or hopefully two birds ( if I get lucky ).

I'm even planning on taking off one day in the middle of the week to make this happen.

Gbuilder
04-13-2007, 08:52
Our opening day is tomorrow. I'll be out there bright (well... dark) and early :)

nyredneck
04-13-2007, 15:37
Originally posted by noway
it's been all defeat for me so far. The nearest bird I called in got to about 80 yards of decoys and hanged up big time. Will be out for 2 more days of the next upcoming weekends and that's it for me. I have until April 22 to get my one or hopefully two birds ( if I get lucky ).

I'm even planning on taking off one day in the middle of the week to make this happen.

I feel for you. Last year I had 5 longbeards in the middle of a field being led around by 1 (!) hen. Every time I yelped and they started coming my way she'd cut them off and lead them away! :steamed: I tried calling to her but she wasn't having it.:sad: Oh well, that's turkey hunting for ya!

Good luck tagging a long beard, I'm pullin' fer ya!:supergrin: :thumbsup:

agarr
04-13-2007, 18:03
I've only killed three this year- so far. Head to WA tomorrow for the opener there. Merriams Turkeys all over the ranch we hunt....

I have killed Two Easterns in SC and a nice Rio in TX...

Season should get better here at home soon. The weather has been iffy at best.

I am on the left in the photo- Rule ,TX - 20 Lbs , 9.75 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs. One of four I called clean across the Brazos river...

Good luck to all.

AG

Bitmap
04-13-2007, 20:59
I've been either sick or rained/hailed out every weekend. I've been trying to get my two oldest boys (5 & 7) out this season since the youth pre-season which was the second or third weekend in March. No luck yet. Maybe it will dry up enough next weekend to get to my farm.

I'll be sure to post pics when we finally get out.

Last spring I was down with pneumonia from the first week and never did get to go in the spring. Thank goodness for fall turkey season!!!!

gruntmedik
04-14-2007, 17:48
Our opening day is today, but with all the rain and 40 degree temps, I kept my happy butt inside. :supergrin:

Gbuilder
04-15-2007, 11:40
Well, heres my opening day: The weather was nice here, temperature was in the low 50's, rained twice for about 30 seconds each time. I had one hen come out of the woods beside me (I was set up on the side of an open field.) It was really weird that she was by herself. She walked around and fed for 15 minuets about 40 to 50 yards directly infront of me and never saw me. She even called out several times, must have been pretty lonely. I heard 2 gobblers but they were both pretty far off, one a ways behind me in the woods, the other was about 200 yards infront of me across the field. I couldnt persuade him to come by though, he must have been with a bunch of hens. Overall it was a really good morning, I saw a bald eagle which was pretty cool.

noway
04-15-2007, 17:45
Today was exciting until the wind/rain blew in. I sat in my makeshift blind till 08:30 and then I went exploring, spooked two deer and one hog. On my track back to my blind thru a dry marsh, I ran across 2 hens about 180yards away from my orginal position. I spook one and the other I think didn't see me.

So I waited till the all clear and then sat a lone hen decoy about 20yards into the marsh and then I nailed my butt up into some shrub. About less than 10mins later, I heard the unforgettable cluck and putt sounds coming out from my right side. I quickly picked up my rifle and binocular and saw 1 hen then a second thean one bearded hen and a fourth hen. I tried to get a bead on the bearded hen ( her beard was about 2-3" long) but I lost sight of her head in the tall grass between me and my decoy.

No lie I had 4 hens starring at me from a distance of 17-20yards aways.

As soon as my heart settle down, I back up deeper into the woods and tried to cut them off, but to my avail, I couldn't from this sight point determine which one of the 4 hens was the bearded hen,so I had to let them go. I did watch them cross the far end of the marsh after the bumped into my decoy and such and have a good ideal of where I need to be at come nect weekend.

;)

DJ Niner
04-15-2007, 23:00
I'm not hunting them this year, but during a hike/photo safari this weekend I saw one, and heard a bunch more. Every time I hike this area I see them; might be a good place to try next year...

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2134/turkeywebov1.jpg

agarr
04-17-2007, 19:07
Dos Pavos....

noway
04-23-2007, 16:56
Will turkey season ended without a bang from me .Most other hunters had the same luck. No rain , low to no water made a big impact on turkeys and other games.

I did ended out the season looking at a few possible victims for next year.Here's a young buck that was hiding in the brush. I decided on stalking him mid-day for about 1/2 mile and then he caugh on it was me ;)

edit: the wind has been bad also, drowns out your call, mutes any other sounds, plus teh birds stayed afar from any trees, shrub or other vegatation.

noway
04-23-2007, 16:57
my gear that saw nbo action other than gunrange.

Gbuilder
04-23-2007, 21:43
I'm sorry to hear that noway. I'm going out the next three saturdays and atleast 2 or 3 other mornings between now and the end of our season (may 12) There hasnt been much luck here either, but hopefully I can increase my chances by going out a few more times. I have a few exams next week, but after that I am done with school. Since I havent found that summer job yet I could go turkey hunting every morning if I wanted, and I just might ;)

Michigun
04-26-2007, 07:21
Just posted my turkey hunt details in a thread titled “Michigan 2007 Spring Turkey Hunting Report!”! :tumbsup:

P.S. Sorry to hear that noway... :sad:

nyredneck
04-27-2007, 22:06
Michigun, I saw your thread, nice bird (I hate you!):thumbsup: :supergrin: Season starts weds. for me, but I'm starting a new job so I won't be able to go until Sat.:sad:

cyphertext
05-02-2007, 22:09
I just posted my story in the Just Got Back From Turkey Camp thread. Long story short, Tom busted me...didn't get a shot. For the full story, see the other thread.