Where do you shoot in Houston Area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shoot in Houston Area?

TxCZshooter
04-12-2007, 21:43
Really want to get back into regular shooting. I live in the Spring Area and have only been to Carter's. Used to go to Tomball Gun Club with my father-in-law, but he passed away.

I rarely make it out of the North side and not originally from Houston, but am willing to go a reasonable distance to have some good safe fun.

So, what decent public ranges or member clubs do you shoot at?

nighteye
04-12-2007, 22:03
I mainly go to the pasadena gun club...not the nicest around but its close and cheap...Or try Marksman range on of HWY3 off and Richie in pasadena. I have gone to the tomball range, but there is also another range just west of PORTER down 1314..(i think thats the road). really nice set up...they have a tactical area with doors, windows etc...also have a 300 yrd rifle range. If you find something new or better let me know...

TxCZshooter
04-12-2007, 22:05
Thanks for the FYI. I'll have to check out the one in Porter.

waltherone
04-13-2007, 12:46
I used to shoot at Sportsman's Shooting Center, southeast side of town (Clear Lake City Blvd. about 3-4 miles from I-45) but lately every time I go there they're always closed... weird hours too, I get there at 430pm on a saturday and they'll be closed, but other times they're open till 8pm on saturdays.

Real small place, not a lot of rules unless he looks at you and thinks you might be a moron. Buddy of mine went in there (mexican guy about my age, tattoos, etc) and they told him to read over the range rules before goin in.. first time I ever walked in I just signed my name in and what caliber I was shooting and went in shooting.. guess me coming in with a big range bag and crap made me look like I do it a lot or somethin..

Got my CHL from Top Gun shooting range, it's the SW side of town a bit, only been there that once but looked like a top notch range for the little time I got to shoot during the CHL class. Been meaning to go back..

Justa_TXguy
04-14-2007, 04:22
Originally posted by waltherone
I used to shoot at Sportsman's Shooting Center, southeast side of town (Clear Lake City Blvd. about 3-4 miles from I-45) but lately every time I go there they're always closed... weird hours too, I get there at 430pm on a saturday and they'll be closed, but other times they're open till 8pm on saturdays.

The guy who ran SSC has some serious health problems. I'm not sure if SSC is still open or not.

PSC is a great range if you live anywhere near it.

waltherone
04-14-2007, 12:37
Originally posted by Justa_TXguy
The guy who ran SSC has some serious health problems. I'm not sure if SSC is still open or not.

PSC is a great range if you live anywhere near it.

Ahh, sorry to hear it. I'd heard a while back he was starting to "feel his age," guess the person that told me that was right :(

BattletweeteR
04-14-2007, 12:46
Originally posted by nighteye
but there is also another range just west of PORTER down 1314..(i think thats the road). really nice set up...they have a tactical area with doors, windows etc...also have a 300 yrd rifle range. If you find something new or better let me know...

yes your correct, its called thunder range, and its on FM 1314, jsut a tad bit south of the 242/1314 intersection

i have not been there, but i have driven past it many of times.

Texas T
04-15-2007, 17:11
For pistol I normally go to Shooter's Station on Hwy 105, west of Conroe, just as you reach the lake. It is an indoor range and I've been going out there since 2000. I used to shoot in the fun league on Wed night but haven't done that in a long time.

For rifle/shotgun I like the Gun Emporium on 2854 west of Conroe. Take 45 north to the 336 Loop S and go west. After it begins to curve north take the exit to 2854 and go west about 1 mile. 200 yd range, and although it's a downhill range the benches are superb - much, much better than Thunder Range's rickity old wooden benches (unless they've upgraded since the last time I was there about 5 years ago).

TxCZshooter
04-15-2007, 22:32
Texas T - Great info. Thanks

Ghetto
04-17-2007, 10:18
No one goes to American Shooting Center off of Westheimer Parkway?

I drive there from Clear Lake about every 6 weeks to shoot, best range in the area IMO.

BattletweeteR
04-17-2007, 23:04
Originally posted by Ghetto
No one goes to American Shooting Center off of Westheimer Parkway?

I drive there from Clear Lake about every 6 weeks to shoot, best range in the area IMO.

that's a nice range but its too far out for me to drive, especially when i got decent ranges near my place up here in north east houston.

BigBody
04-22-2007, 07:25
I go to top gun it is an indoor range and that has Class III firearms to rent and has a great set up

TxCZshooter
04-22-2007, 08:03
Yep, but they're expensive. Great place though.

juggy4711
04-27-2007, 12:11
Originally posted by BigBody
I go to top gun it is an indoor range and that has Class III firearms to rent and has a great set up

I've been there trwice before. Kind of pricy but the C3 rentals were sweet.

tiva
04-27-2007, 14:58
Originally posted by juggy4711
I've been there trwice before. Kind of pricy but the C3 rentals were sweet.

Where is Top Gun?

04-27-2007, 15:54
Marksman Indoor Range, on Nebraska, off of Highway 3.
Take Gulf Fwy south bound, exit Monroe, left on Monroe, right on Highway 3, right on Nebraska. Rapid fire all you want.:supergrin: