Deer Feeders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer Feeders

vafish
04-13-2007, 09:27
I don't want to discuss the ethics of hunting over bait. VA recently made it illegal during hunting season.

But, I'm not going to be "Hunting", I've been asked to shoot some deer under a damage control permit this summer. There are way to many deer in the area and they need to be thinned out.

Given my limited time resources I thought that the best way to do it is to condition the deer to be where I want them to be, when I want them to be there with an automatic feeder.

Does anyone have any experience with the less expensive feeders, or the kits where you supply your own container?

Thanks in advance.

MD Mountain Man
04-13-2007, 09:40
Originally posted by vafish
I don't want to discuss the ethics of hunting over bait. VA recently made it illegal during hunting season.

But, I'm not going to be "Hunting", I've been asked to shoot some deer under a damage control permit this summer. There are way to many deer in the area and they need to be thinned out.

Given my limited time resources I thought that the best way to do it is to condition the deer to be where I want them to be, when I want them to be there with an automatic feeder.

Does anyone have any experience with the less expensive feeders, or the kits where you supply your own container?

Thanks in advance.

I know this isn't what you asked but I have to ask. Have you considered inviting some more hunters onto the property? I know that there are a lot of hunters out there that would love to have some private land to hunt. The land owner might even be able to get those hunters to do a little work on the property over the summer. I know sometimes you just have to kill some deer but it seems like a waste if you don't allow hunters who would truly appreciate the opportunity. Just my .02

vafish
04-13-2007, 11:45
Originally posted by MD Mountain Man
I know this isn't what you asked but I have to ask. Have you considered inviting some more hunters onto the property? I know that there are a lot of hunters out there that would love to have some private land to hunt. The land owner might even be able to get those hunters to do a little work on the property over the summer. I know sometimes you just have to kill some deer but it seems like a waste if you don't allow hunters who would truly appreciate the opportunity. Just my .02

MD MM,

I understand your point, but,

It's a small property of less than 10 acres in suburbia and there are 4 of us with permission to hunt it already with archery and crossbows only. The 4 of us coordinate our hunting times so that only 1 person is on the property at a time. There really is only 1 good place for a stand on the property, a 30 second walk would scare all the deer completely off of it. From that one stand I often have deer about 30 yards away that I can't shoot at because they are on the neighbors property and visible from the neighbors house.

Inviting more hunters isn't a real good solution unless we can get more of the neighboring property owners involved. (and there isn't any reason to get more neighbors involved unless I have more hunters, kind of a catch 22)

I was really hoping I could condition the deer to coming up on the property at specific times, like just after I get off of work and can get over there in my stand, which would be just before dark as they were starting to move around and feed anyways. The place is 15 minutes from my office, but evening hunting hasn't been very successful so far. All of the deer we've taken (and the 2 I should have but screwed up on) have been in the early morning so far. Nothing wrong with early morning hunting, but it's not conducive to my work schedule and if I get a deer in the warmer weather I have to take part of the day off to process it.

MD Mountain Man
04-13-2007, 12:08
Originally posted by vafish
MD MM,

I understand your point, but,

It's a small property of less than 10 acres in suburbia and there are 4 of us with permission to hunt it already with archery and crossbows only. The 4 of us coordinate our hunting times so that only 1 person is on the property at a time. There really is only 1 good place for a stand on the property, a 30 second walk would scare all the deer completely off of it. From that one stand I often have deer about 30 yards away that I can't shoot at because they are on the neighbors property and visible from the neighbors house.

Inviting more hunters isn't a real good solution unless we can get more of the neighboring property owners involved. (and there isn't any reason to get more neighbors involved unless I have more hunters, kind of a catch 22)

I was really hoping I could condition the deer to coming up on the property at specific times, like just after I get off of work and can get over there in my stand, which would be just before dark as they were starting to move around and feed anyways. The place is 15 minutes from my office, but evening hunting hasn't been very successful so far. All of the deer we've taken (and the 2 I should have but screwed up on) have been in the early morning so far. Nothing wrong with early morning hunting, but it's not conducive to my work schedule and if I get a deer in the warmer weather I have to take part of the day off to process it.

Sometimes you do just have to cull the heard. I'm glad that you have brainstormed on how to make the most of the hunting opportunity that is there. Don't be afraid to approach the neigbors about the possibility of expanding the hunting to their property. Don't go in your camo though. Every year there are less and less hunters. I think part of it is there are less hunting locations available. If you can get the neighbors involved and supportive of a "hunting co-op" it would do wonders for the deer herd and for hunting's future. I'm kind of passionate about this topic so thanks for listening. Sorry I don't know much about feeders. I have never used one.

noway
04-13-2007, 12:36
10acres is kinda small. What and how many deer will cross this in one day?

A deer might graze and traffic within 100 or more acres depending on the food sources around or not around.

To answer your questions, cabelas has a good selection of timer feeders that wholes up to 50lb or maybe more of feed. But be advise what you pay for is what you get. Don't expect them to hold up and expect problems

vafish
04-13-2007, 21:46
Originally posted by noway
10acres is kinda small. What and how many deer will cross this in one day?

A deer might graze and traffic within 100 or more acres depending on the food sources around or not around.

To answer your questions, cabelas has a good selection of timer feeders that wholes up to 50lb or maybe more of feed. But be advise what you pay for is what you get. Don't expect them to hold up and expect problems

It's suburban hunting for sure, the deer do move through the property every day. When I was hunting it during the season I saw deer either on the property or on neighbors property every time I hunted. I usually saw only single deer, but one of the other hunters saw a group of 6 doe and fawn on a couple occasions and the owner says he sees them almost daily, but not on any real schedule.

The "get what you pay for" was kind of what I figured on the feeders, I was just wondering if any were better than others.