Charlie Ross, candidate for Lt. Governor of Mississippi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Ross, candidate for Lt. Governor of Mississippi

NRA_guy
04-13-2007, 20:32
I am liking what I hear from Charlie Ross, candidate for Lt. Governor of Mississippi.

Anybody else heard him?

Maybe "Roll with Ross" would be a good slogan. No, wait . . . that's been done already. :)

(For you young folks, that was Ross Barnett's slogan back in the early 1960s.)

Here are some things that I like that he has pushed:

# Senator Ross authored and led the successful fight to pass the Castle Doctrine Law. The Castle Doctrine Law stands up for citizens who defend themselves in their home, their workplace, and their car when somebody is unlawfully breaking and entering. The law creates a presumption that a person acts reasonably in defending themselves in such cases, even if the defense involves deadly force. The Bill also provides that when a person is threatened, regardless of where they are, they do not have to retreat in order to legitimately defend themselves.

# Senator Ross is against illegal immigration, period. If someone is going to be here working, they should go through the proper legal channels and pay their taxes like Mississippians. That is why Ross wrote and introduced legislation to require employers to withhold 5% on all non-citizens. Under his bill, those who are here legally can file a tax return and get a refund. Those here illegally, however, will not file, so the state needs to get their taxes up front. Ross also supported the other anti-immigration bills presented on the Senate floor this year.

Ultimately, the immigration issue is a national problem and it needs a national solution. Mississippi can address symptoms at the state level, but the root cause is an unsecure border. It is Ross' hope that the federal government--the only one who can do so--will take strong action to secure our border because a border that is not secure is not really a border at all.

# Senator Ross authored and led the fight for the successful passage of Jessica's Law. Jessica's Law protects our children from sexual predators. Under the law, a sex offender who commits an offense against a child less than 14 years of age will have to register on the sex offender registry for life. Further, the law provides that sex offenders cannot live within 1500 feet of a school or child care center, and provides judges authority to require sex offenders to wear G.P.S. ankle bracelets during any part of their sentence that includes probation.

# Senator Ross has consistently opposed tax increases. He led a coalition in the Senate that successfully warded off tax increases in the 2005 Legislature. Senator Ross believes the key to budget stability is living within our means, not increasing our taxes.

# Senator Ross believes strongly in law enforcement. For this reason, he drafted legislation increasing the number of Assistant District Attorneys, and successfully fought for passage of legislation.

# Sen. Ross authored the legislation passed in 2005 that prohibits convicted sex offenders from working in places such as child care centers where they would have access to children.

# Senator Ross authored and led the successful fight to pass tort reform. Hailed by the Wall Street Journal as model legislation, the Mississippi Tort Reform Act passed in 2004 has made Mississippi's legal climate fair and predictable, has made insurance more affordable and more available, and made Mississippi a better place to work. Since the passage of tort reform, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says, Mississippi is now "open for business."
Here is his web site: LINK (http://www.charlieross.com/)

NoloContendere
04-13-2007, 23:43
Yep. I like him better than Bryant... However, Bryant's camp is pushing that Ross is pro-illegal because he's not saying anything about the illegal issue. politics.

nc

MidnightJMC
04-26-2007, 10:37
I just read his website and I agree with him 100%. We need a strong conservative leader in the position. I think he might be the right guy.

NoloContendere
04-26-2007, 11:24
There is a huge interview with him on the jackson free press website.

www.jacksonfreepress.com

Look to the left, and you'll see his picture on the front. He's good. And VERY pro-2nd, and not afraid to say it.

nc

MidnightJMC
04-26-2007, 11:40
That brings us to gun control. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Law-abiding citizens with guns are not a danger to anybody. Itís the criminals with guns that are a danger. Iím real proud of legislation this year that increased the penalty to 10 years for a felon in possession of a firearm or commitment of a crime with a firearm, and the sentences have to be served consecutively, rather than concurrently. Matches donít cause arson. People with matches cause arson, and guns donít cause crime. Criminals do.

:thumbsup:

MidnightJMC
05-16-2007, 13:11
I just listened to Jamie Franks speak in Hattiesburg. He was no slacker but he made me feel as if I'm going to die old and broke and withouth any health care in the poorest state in the union if I don't vote for him. I don't like the scare tactic politicizing (if that's even a word :rofl: )

Him and Charlie overall seem to have about the same core values.

Think I'm gonna pull for Charlie.

MidnightJMC
05-17-2007, 09:44
Did anyone catch the inteview on 97.3 this morning? I tuned in right after it was over and from what the calls that were coming in it didn't seem to go well but I don't know anything about that Gallo guy so maybe it was doomed from the start. I contacted the station about a transcript but they want $75 bucks for it. No thanks. Lemme know if you heard it.

NoloContendere
05-17-2007, 17:31
Originally posted by MidnightJMC
Did anyone catch the inteview on 97.3 this morning? I tuned in right after it was over and from what the calls that were coming in it didn't seem to go well but I don't know anything about that Gallo guy so maybe it was doomed from the start. I contacted the station about a transcript but they want $75 bucks for it. No thanks. Lemme know if you heard it.

They are required to have a copy of it for 30 days. Tell them you want an audio copy, and ask how much that would cost. Should be about 5 dollars.

nc

NRA_guy
05-18-2007, 05:17
Did anyone catch the inteview on 97.3 this morning? I tuned in right after it was over and from what the calls that were coming in it didn't seem to go well but I don't know anything about that Gallo guy so maybe it was doomed from the start. I contacted the station about a transcript but they want $75 bucks for it. No thanks. Lemme know if you heard it. Yep. I heard some of it on my way to work. (Reception is intermittent where I live.)

Gallo is typically a conservative, straight-up guy.

I thought Gallo was extremely and unusually obnoxious with Mr. Ross.

He kept drilling Ross about the fact that Ross works for a law firm that represents some medical organization among thousands of other clients.

Apparently, legislation came up that would govern how Federal Medicare or Medicade funds are managed in Mississippi.

Like 3 times, Ross was absent when votes were taken on it. (Gallo kept saying that Ross recused himself, but Ross said that he was just absent.)

Apparently, Ross was there for one vote and changed the word "may" to "shall" in mandating that the medical organization represented by his law firm manage the Federal money comnig into the state.

Gallo kept saying that it was unethical and a conflict of interest.

Ross kept saying that it was not.

I don't give a rip about any that. It pales in comparison to things every politician does every day. But I was dissappointed in Ross's inability to easily handle a radio talk show guy.

MidnightJMC
05-18-2007, 09:59
Thanks for the info. Gallo was still ripping into Ross this morning.

MidnightJMC
08-08-2007, 05:22
Better luck next time Charlie....

I was absolutley sickened by the number of people I know that didn't vote....

NoloContendere
08-08-2007, 11:37
Better luck next time Charlie....

I was absolutley sickened by the number of people I know that didn't vote....

Yep.. I was sad to see him lose. He's a really great guy. People that don't vote lose all their ability to complain in my view. Even the people that don't register to vote. Our system only works if people vote.

swatmed4
08-09-2007, 06:46
Yeah it sucked that he lost. Had some good ideas. As for the lazy people who did not vote, they have no right to complain when Bryant screws up. Of coarse they will be the 1st to do so.

NRA_guy
08-10-2007, 05:36
My email to the SuperTalk producer Peterson and Paul Gallo:

Sent : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:13 AM
To : apeterson@telesouth.com
CC : pgallo@telesouth.com
Subject : Super Talk's election coverage

Congratulations!

You got your guy Phil Bryant, Republican candidate for Lt. Governor, elected.

But you lost me as a listener.

Until today, I listened to "Gallo" and "JT and Dave" every day as I was driving to and from work.

Because of their daily vehement, biased attacks on Charlie Ross, I have re-programmed your button on my car radio, and I will just skip your station from now on.

You won't care (or notice) and I'll be less stressed; so it's a win-win situation for both of us.

PS: Your signal strength is really, really, really weak in this area and drifts in and out. But that won't be an issue to me any longer.

/s/

NoloContendere
08-11-2007, 07:00
Nice!

NRA_guy
08-26-2007, 05:24
I got this in a "Thanks for your support" email from Charlie Ross:

Last week, Congressman Chip Pickering announced that he will not be running for re-election in 2008. This announcement was a total surprise. Since then, many have called and urged me to consider running for the position. Because so many have called, and because I do believe in public service, Sharon and I are considering running for the seat vacated by Chip. Because of your faithful support during the Lt. Governor campaign, Sharon and I would very much like to have your thoughts as to whether we should run for the congressional position. Please let us know your feelings and thoughts.

Sincerely,
Charlie Ross

I would LOVE to see him in Congress even more than in the Lt. Governor's seat for 2 terms.

And I conveyed that to him.

I expect that he will be on the ballot.

PS: This is for the 3rd Congressionsl District, a long gerrymandered bunch of counties cobbled together:

LINK TO MAP OF 3RD DISTICT (http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/images/preview/congdist/ms03_109.gif)

Unfortunately, I live in Benny Thompson's 2nd District, a gerrymandered bunch of counties cobbled together to guarantee that he will be re-elected as long as he can breathe . . . and maybe longer.

NoloContendere
08-26-2007, 07:49
I will vote for him too.. I am in his district.

I will also be announcing my candidacy for an office here in the next month or so for the 2008 Election. (Not Congress...)

Nolo