How many of you have, or would re-enlist [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have, or would re-enlist

sgtslwilson
04-13-2007, 21:22
Im thinking seriously about it. Tell me your experiences or preferences please.

Lance

pt945
04-15-2007, 19:06
it all depends on what you are looking for myself i am married with a 11 year old son so the option of moving my family around every 3 years did not appeal to us however i still wanted to serve my country again so the logical decision was to go national guard my family is not wanting me to deploy but they understand it is a possibility and are fully supportive of me if i do. i will be happy to help you with any questions about the national guard. :patriot:

chris

Brigrat
04-15-2007, 19:10
I was set to reenlist, but my MOS was frozen preventing me from moving into somthing that I really wanted to do...

working int he brig was enough for one enlistment...two would have been asking too much...

That being said, I found out that there is a lot more money in the private sector if you make good choices...

Bearcat06
04-16-2007, 03:06
I may go back in the Reserve/Guard but not sure yet......

I have looked at some local units and talked to a couple of recruiters for same....but if I do....I want to go in a field that I like, not one they are trying to fill.....and it probably won't be what I do for a living and/or what I was when I was in the last time (MP).

I have looked at KC-135 Crew, C-21 Crew, Weather (all with AF/Air Guard) and CID (National Guard)........

Tactical Cook
04-16-2007, 08:24
I just reenlisted this past Friday the 13th for another 4 years in the Navy. That will take me to the 19 year mark and then I'll have to decide if I'm going over 20 or not?
How many years do you have in now? If you're already over 10 you're almost there, no matter how bad it may seem at times the retirement check is just over the hill!
If you have less then 10, you need to ask yourself some questions.
Are you still enjoying your service?
Do you want to pay for medical when you get out?
Are you advancing like you should for you rate/MOS?
Have you taken advantage of the FREE college yet?

When I joined 15 years ago I said I'd stay as long as it was working for me. That's all that really matters, is it still working for you?

Bob Hundley

Sam White
04-18-2007, 15:33
I did four years in the Army Reserve. I signed up for six in the Air Guard last year.

Advantages to going to the Air Guard for me were shorter deployments (gone about 4 months instead of 18-19) and more rank available.

I've got a 3 year old and have been the person who takes care of him most of the time- I will be getting divorced soon and will end up with my son. He needs a parent and I'm that parent. Shorter deployments allow me to contribute but not be away for too long.

I also have the possibility of advancement past E5 with my current career field, something I didn't have in the Army Reserve.

It all depends on what you're looking for, but the Air Guard works a lot better for me.:usaf:

xxiv
05-07-2007, 22:31
No thanks, I cherish my time and accomplishments while in but all by bro's are either out or set to get out soon. Wouldn't be the same trip.

md2lgyk
05-08-2007, 09:44
I joined the Navy with every intention of making it a career. I was a Nuc, and re-enlisted once before I married my first wife. When it came time again, she if I did she'd leave. Shoulda listened LOL. Got out instead, after 8 years. Went into the Air Guard a few years later (new wife) and just retired with 24 years total.

sgtslwilson
05-08-2007, 15:10
It doesn't matter now. I was just PDQ'd at MEPS. So, for me, the point is moot.

DriBak
05-08-2007, 22:14
Did my 8 and got out. Went to College on the GI BIll and Army College Fund.

RENEA
05-25-2007, 04:59
I reupped in late December of 2001 for three more years while serving in OEF (tax free bonus too). When I came down on orders on 04 for PSD in Germany I dec'ed orders and ETSed a few months later to get into contracting. Basically I was tired of the petty BS, the "good enough" attitude of my fellow NCO's and the overall PC state of the military. I'd done nearly 10 years so I felt that it was time to go and move onto other things.

dewidmt
05-28-2007, 16:58
Retired from USAF in 2004 with 21 years.2 years later, Army NG unit here in Idaho was lookin for a few medics to fill out their ranks so I talk to the nice young men....turns out that if you VOLUNTARILY RETIRE they put a big "V" on your DD-214 and they won't let you back in, even if you wanna go......

xen271
05-28-2007, 18:23
Never. I hated it. Felt like I was wasting my life. I found more leadership and common sense in the private sector. FTN.

sgtslwilson
05-28-2007, 18:42
Like I said. It doesnt matter anymore. I was disqualified because of my hearing in my left ear.

You would think at times like these they would want an experienced soldier but they said no. Go figure.

I guess I'll just keep on policing...eech!

Lance

easyg
05-30-2007, 07:11
The old saying "you can never go home" is 100% true...and you can never re-live your youth either.
I've seen too much and I know too much to be a part of the big green machine again.
But I have no regrets concerning my 6 years as a Soldier.
And I definitely recommend military service to all young men.
It gives one somthing that no amount of money can buy.

agentl074
06-02-2007, 22:41
I am proud to have served and would do it all over again in a heart beat. Would I reup? Probably not. I would have loved to be stationed at another base other than Minot - however there really are no guarantees in the service. I am a proud veteran and member of the American Legion Post 43. I take my knowledge and experience to the civilan side and soon I will have a BS in Public Affairs. Wherever I go from here - NSA Special Agent or local cop ... I have the USAF to thank for making it all possible.

kikr
06-04-2007, 04:48
I recently walked away after 16 years. I've done 2 branches and all 3 components. Had some good times and some bad times and decided enough was enough. I like being able to make choices now. I'm glad I served but even happier that its over.

Hanzerik
06-07-2007, 13:57
I'm on my last re-enlistment and last duty station, which will put me at 22 years. Can retire next year if I want to at 20...but I have not made up my mind yet.

Juliet Lima
06-10-2007, 23:49
After my first 4 years I was still single so I reenlisted. After my second 4 years I was married with 2 children. I was probably on the hook for a remote (without the family) to Korea. My children were 1 and 2 years old, so it was a pretty easy decision. I did NOT want to be apart from them. I decided to get out. Plus, if I reenlisted a second time I would have 12 years in. I would then have to go the full twenty and retire.

It's all a personal decision, and it's different for everyone. Good luck with your decision.

azk9
06-23-2007, 14:32
I did my active duty time in the late 80s but after the events of 911 I was angry, hot and bothered to go back and serve. Oct 5th I was at the recruiters office re-enlisting. I put a great job on hold, take a huge cut in pay and had to say good bye to my family. It sucked being away from my family but it was something I felt I had to do. It's sad that these days are not like the days of WWII when guys dropped everything to serve their country in times of need.

Some of us flew an american flag with pride long before those planes hit the towers.

Don't confuse politics, patriotism,
You may not always support a war but please always support the troops.

Sorry to ramble, I'll get off my soap box now :thumbsup:
Joe

chadb1019
07-12-2007, 21:04
Once a Marine, always a Marine...so why re-enlist?

Kingslayer
08-09-2007, 14:51
I sat on the forecastle of the U.S.S. Pensacola off the coast of Bosnia and pondered my re-enlistment. I was 22, newly married, kids sure to come, and on my second deployment with a combat MOS.

While it's easy to find the negatives of that situation, I tried to find the positives. I was only 22 and coming straight from high school into the Marines I was still pretty ignorant to "life". I knew that learning about real life would be easier for me and my family under the protective cover of the military.

I also figured the reenlistment bonus would help in getting a house started.

I knew that my wife and daughter would have good medical and dental care.

It wasn't hard to figure out that another 4 years would help more than hurt. I was right...

Incarcer8
08-24-2007, 11:55
Originally posted by easyg
The old saying "you can never go home" is 100% true...and you can never re-live your youth either.
I've seen too much and I know too much to be a part of the big green machine again.
But I have no regrets concerning my 6 years as a Soldier.
And I definitely recommend military service to all young men.
It gives one somthing that no amount of money can buy.

+1 BTW, I was not in the Army and I only did four years.

deadday
08-26-2007, 17:32
I'm sitting close to my ETS, and will probably be riding a medical extension for a while, but as soon as my bar is lifted (barred due to medical) I will reclass and re-up.

drew

APD
09-03-2007, 17:42
I got out right before 9-11. I did my first 3 then re-upped for 4 more and got orders for Korea soon thereafter. I had a great time and loved the Army but they spent more time finding ways to cram it in my rear so I felt it was time to go. There are days I regret not finishing out my 20 and doing the last 1 or 2 things I wanted to do but when I think back to getting to spend almost every night with my wife and kids after ETS'ing I think I made the right choice.
I do find they push out damn good soldiers by inflexible policies and stupid procedures. Instead of keeping trained and motivated soldiers they find ways of pushing them out in favor of a dope smoking 17 year old kid that barely made it through high school.The New Army.

If you are out for good then pick a goal and achieve it and do some good in the private sector.:thumbsup:

JimBianchi
09-03-2007, 18:22
I joined in í80, lateral-transferred from the Coast Guard after 3yrs to the ADAF Security Police in Ď83. In Ď86 when my first 6 was up, it seemed like I hadn't done anything yet so I re-upped for 4. In 1990 I was at an excellent assignment in Greece, with a follow-on to Italy, so reenlisting was easy. Once I was over 10, I though for sure I'd do 20 years or more.

In the middle of that enlistment (1992-4) I was not a happy camper. Bad boss, bad commander, bad base, just bad overall. Only thing good was my wife and she supported what ever I wanted to do. I toughed it out and eventually got new assignment and things got lot better in OKC.

Ended up doing nearly 23 total, retiring in 2002 in Vegas.

It was a tough road and 99% of my military friends did not stay to the next enlistment. More than a few took the buy-out of the 1990's, one got out for 8 years and came back in, some just up a left to work for a SO or a PD some where.

I think I did the right thing for me.

But when I joined I was coming from a very poor, unstable and uneducated background with little to look forward to. I knew in my heart that the military was my only hope of a middleclass life, free of drugs and jail, and I was right.

Every time I did my security clearance updates the investigator would be shocked I was so normal. Once my stepsister had an AZ murder and fleeing felon warrant out (I think in 1984 or 85), my clearance was held up. As far as I know, they never did catch her.

Of my HS friends, a few are in the AZ prison system, I heard a kid I ran with Kenny, died in the Florence State Pen during the late 1980ís, at least two were homeless in 1991 (I ran into them living in their car in the Rancho parking lot on 27th ave. and Bethany H.R.), most are MIA. As far as I know, none did squat with their lives. It took decades for my stepbrother and step-niece (My stepsisterís kid my mom adopted during that warrant thing) to get their acts together.

Iím not trying to say one way or the other what you should do. But I canít see my life any other way.

quaviet
09-07-2007, 04:03
sgtswilson, Looking back with 20-20 hindsight, I wish I would have stayed in but my EAOS was up during the Jimmy Carter years and to be quite frank, I was quite sick of him. If you can stick it out and put up with the horse stuff then I say stay for the twenty. You will never worry about a paycheck again.

Then again, if you have a good MOS that can transfer to civilian life then there is a real possiblity that you will make a lot more money on the outside if you have your stuff together. When I was in 20 years seemed forever but now the decades fly by.

In a nutshell, if you are happy with your work then stick with it. If you are not happy then it is a hard transition to civilian life because there is no guarantee unless you are a hard worker that is humble and smarter than the average fellow.

RepairMan
09-08-2007, 15:44
I've re-enlisted once so-far and intend to re-enlist a few more times till 20. I'm coming up on the second re-up now, no question for me, I'm sticking around to do 20. I love my job, of course I question, doubt and hate things sometimes. But that'll happen everywhere. Not everywhere do I get the chance to take over that job and fix things or move somewhere else and not make the same mistake.

VAshooter
09-25-2007, 12:05
I retired in December of 1979 from the US Navy with 20 years.

I had some good times but now that I'm out I'm still having good times. I just make more money.

BrokenArrow
09-27-2007, 14:06
Maybe.

If they let me "homestead" at the local CONUS base, sure.

Play in the sandbox again? No way!

GreenDrake
10-21-2007, 07:28
I wish I could but the heart palps would keep me out for sure. I developed an abnormal heartbeat that the docs are trying to figure out, and thyroid issues that messed with my metabolism, so weight gain and a funky ticker usually keeps you out of re-upping.

Ghost-1
10-25-2007, 06:16
I wish I could but the heart palps would keep me out for sure. I developed an abnormal heartbeat that the docs are trying to figure out, and thyroid issues that messed with my metabolism, so weight gain and a funky ticker usually keeps you out of re-upping.

I am in the same boat I have a thyroid problem myself. They are useing it to flag me from re enlisting. I am about to the point to just say screw it and get out.

I am on three permanet profiles from doing what I used to do and being in the sandbox once already. I am sure I can find something to do on the outside.

Fishjager
11-11-2007, 19:28
I wish I would have gone in the Coast Guard instead of the Air Force. I could have appreciated all of the life saving and drug interdiction, stateside assignments, and the water. Hind sight is 20/20, and I would probably have reenlisted.....Just my .02

I worked Presidential Support at Andrews......it sucked!

Fox
11-27-2007, 17:52
No thanks, I cherish my time and accomplishments while in but all by bro's are either out or set to get out soon. Wouldn't be the same trip.

Did my 8 and got out. Went to College on the GI BIll and Army College Fund.

8yrs?

You are about halfway to a pension. Consider joining the National Guard or the Reserves to keep those benefits for old age.