Shotgun employment and TO&E [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun employment and TO&E

CPTCHAOS
04-14-2007, 07:39
Can someone with some experience answer some basis questions I have. What is the Basis of Isssue of the shotgun these days? i.e how many are issued per company; is it a dedidcated weapon or spare, etc.

Also how effective is it in breaching doors in combat?

Thanks a bunch.

tc556guy
07-18-2008, 12:15
Our company has an issue of two Mossberg shotties per platoon, loaded with 00 Buck. Short barrel, pistol grip ( although they came to the unit with both pistol grip and full stock, we left the full stocks at home station). There is a pending upgrade for the shotties that will give them an M4 style stock, rail system, etc. I have the website for that if you still want info.
Mossberg shotguns are essentially spare weapons with a limited usefulness, although I made sure to grab one when I was sent out on my PMT mission.
The Afghan Police are issued similar Mossbergs with even shoter barrels than ours and, believe it or not, slugs for ammo. i'm not sure who thought that ammo selection out for an Afghan weighing a buck twenty firing a shotty with a pistol grip.....

Biscuitsjam
07-18-2008, 12:57
There are specialty "door breaching" rounds for shotguns that increase the effectiveness of blowing locks off which also reducing the risk to the operator. I don't know what percentage of units get this round, which is filled with some kind of fine powder instead of heavy buckshot.

There are a LOT of different shotguns in use. Most of what I've seen are Mossbergs, but I've also heard of 870s, and I think there are 4 or 5 different makes/models out there total.

We were told that we were going to receive one shotgun per tank platoon (16 soldiers), then one per company (63 soldiers), then ended up receiving none. The infantry and cavalry scout guys would usually bring one out on patrol, though it was often because of the preference of an individual soldier. I can't tell you much about their actual effectiveness.

SergeantC
08-11-2008, 11:16
All I can add is that my understanding is that they are often issued to vehicle drivers.

Rakkasan
08-12-2008, 15:17
Our company had 3 M500s per platoon. 1 for each line squad. The first team in breach man (designated before the mission) would carry the M500 loaded with 00 buck configured however the breach man was most comfortable (pistol grip or stock). Also... Ricochets hurt :rofl:. Alot of doors in Iraq are thin metal. The shotgun breach would work, but sometimes it would bite you back.

The shotgun was a secondary weapon/tool for breaching.

deadday
08-12-2008, 15:59
We had one shotgun per squad so there was always at least one on each mission. We loaded them with the door breacher rounds, think they were compressed lead dust or something?? Anyways, one per squad/mission, special breaching rounds...To be used against personnel only as extreme last resort..

The shotgun was carried along with your M4/M16 and was extremely effective at breaching doors...You can either target the locking mechanism (if it's visible) or the hinges....Locking mechanism is preferred, as one round usually does the trick..

The shotgun is carried on a modified single-point sling so that once fired, the breacher can just drop the weapon and grab their primary.

drew

GMAN40
09-01-2008, 06:42
I was an MP in 04-05 tour OIF. We had maybe 2 SG in the platoon, unit commander would not allow them to be issued.:upeyes: