Suckin' On A Pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suckin' On A Pistol

ULVER
04-14-2007, 15:36
Had an intoxicated guy stick a .357 in his mouth this week. Not too smart. Fight with the girlfriend. Been out there before for domestics, and always thought it would be a murder/suicide. He wasn't too nice of a drinker. Instant anger.

I was amazed he was still breathing, when we got there. Although it was a magnum, it wasn't loaded with hollowpoints. The bullet exited closer to the front of the scalp, dislodging an eye from the socket. He expired thirty minutes later. There was some brain matter, but just a lot more blood. He had been sitting on the end on the bed. He ended up on his knees with his butt in the air. Kind of strange.

The woman was asking if he was aware of anything after the shot. I really didn't want to say anything other than "no, he didn't feel a thing." So, that's exactly what I said.

Been thinking about it a lot though.

:sad: Anyone else had to work through these? Thanks...

bayshtyshorty
04-14-2007, 16:11
Yeah...always a bad deal, i went to a house last night where a 50-something yr. old male frequently threatens suicide with his 30-06, he never does...till yesterday. NOT the hardest thing i've ever had to deal with....last year a drunk driver hit a family on their way to go camping and the only survivor on seen was the drunk (only for about 1/2 hour). I had to hold a 7 year old (deceased) up by his shoulders while med control removed his foot from the seat bracket....the best way to cope is to seek help from CISD (Critical Incident Stress Debriefing). They will send people out to talk to you within a day or so at your department...usually the people on scene will be there too and sometimes the dispatchers...Let us know if you need anymore help....Good Luck man, time heals all wounds.

Scott

gruntmedik
04-14-2007, 17:04
I am no longer amazed at what people will do to themselves, or to others. I have seen more than my share of this. You are experiencing a normal reaction to seeing this. The trick is how you deal with it, or in some cases not deal with it. Do I recall things I've seen--of course I do, but I have learned how to leave work at work. Talking to others in the same line of work helps, as does having a hobby to help take your mind off of it. Shorty is right, time heals. There is no shame in talking to CISD folks if you feel you need to. We're here, too.

ULVER
04-14-2007, 18:24
Well guys, I think the hardest part, was he did it right in front of the girlfriend. On his birthday. After a "nice" dinner. What's really sad is she had just moved into this new home. And JUST had allowed him back, after a restraining order. I helped her get that one, which was what? About the 4th?

I contacted her several days later, and she was still asking the same thing---did he suffer? When in doubt lie.

She had a lot of cats, and they seemed really freaked. Animals know stuff. It's something else.

After years of telling her it was her first, and them himself, I guess she is lucky to be around to clean the rug. But sad... real sad...:sad:

Thanks...

GusDog
04-14-2007, 23:34
Ulver -

We've all beeen there brother, hang in there - I agree time heals. Just remember - for all the F-ed up things we see and deal with, these are somebody else's emergencies, not ours. These horrible things would happen to people whether we were the ones to show up, or someone else was. When I go on a particularly bad call, I always feel fortunate that it was me who responded - I know that I am good at what I do and that I give my patients the best chance of survival/recovery.

Right after this past X-Mas we got a call for a possible suicide, ex-girlfriend was on the phone with the ex-BF and heard a shot and the line went dead. We get enough of these that it's easy to think it's going to be BS - they usually are. Well we're staging down the street and the police call us to come in. As we pull up an officer meets us outside and says, "He blew his face off with a shotgun, not sure what you guys are going to do for him. It's all clear go on in".

Well, of course we're thinking DOA. Go in, say, "Yep, he's dead", and clear. Well, we go in, this guys got no face, I mean he's got a lower jaw, eyebrows, and ears, but NOTHING in between - you can see the front of his brain! AND he's still breathing 20 times a minute! Best part is his Father, step mother, and 2 YOUNG CHILDREN were home on the 2nd floor of the house and never heard a thing! He sat on the couch and blew his face off directly beneath the room that his 3 year old daughter was sleeping in! Thank God the ***** Hat used bird shot and sucked on the 12 ga. like the beeaatch he apparantly was, or he could have killed that poor little girl that will now have to grow up the child of a father who committed suicide.

So, he's breathing and we have to work him. Somehow through all the blood and mangeled tissue my partner gets him intubated, and we transport him to the trauma center. The family arrives shortly afterward, and after talking with the Dr agrees that the best course of action if to allow him to die and donate his organs. We end up back in the same ER 26 hours later on a differnt call and find out that even though they had removed this guy from the respirator half an hour after arriving in the ER the nighht before, he just finally died! The transplant team had to wait in the OR the whole time for him to expire. The only bright side is that multiple people benifited from his young healthy organs, and my partner proved that even though he can't start I.V.s worth a darn, he is an airway god. The trauma surgeon, nurse anestatist, and anastesiologost all commented that thsy could have gotten that tube, I know I couldn't have!

Anyway brother, don't let this stuff get you down. Yeah it sucks to see the heart ache these poeple leave behind when they commit the ultimate selfish and cowardly act of suicide, but be glad you were there because you know that no one could do a better job than you did. And as was said here before, don't ever be afraid to talk to somebody if something is messing with your head. Whether it's here or at your station with your partners, or you ask for formal CISD, don't try and carry the burden by yourself. There are plenty of us that have been there, felt your pain, and are happy to share our time, thoughts, and experience to help a brother out.

Take Care, God Bless.

D25
04-15-2007, 10:33
As others have already stated, keep talking about it and don't just internalize the whole thing. Your coworkers are a good resource, and hell, we're here for you too. Although I'm not a big fan of formal CISDs, they are a resource that is available, and if need be you can get referred to someone who can help you sort these things out. There is no shame in seeking a little help for things that are bugging you. Hang in there.

00blkgt
04-15-2007, 10:48
Yeah, in my area this seems to becoming a more prevalant choice for some of the citizens. Like others have mentioned it is a screwy thing to have to respond to just be glad that it isn't your family or one of your friends. Cism is always worth a try, if the people performing the meeting are top notch you will have a positive experience. Unfortunately not all of the cism team members are good at what they do.