Edited: What Do You Think of A Paid Tier Being Added To GT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Edited: What Do You Think of A Paid Tier Being Added To GT?

Pages : [1] 2

bestseller92
04-14-2007, 17:40
The Nugent site has recently started charging new members twenty bucks a year for the privilege of posting there (old members get a one year free grace period).

I know bandwidth is not free, and boards cost to operate. But would you pay twenty bucks a year to post on a message board (as opposed to voluntarily donating to a board you like)?

I see this as a way for a board to atrophy and die, because it'll get no new members at all, and the old ones will slowly go away.

What do you think?

cooldude
04-14-2007, 17:44
NO!!

Thats the reason why I didnt join Klounge, Katharine McPhees official fan club! They want 25 bucks a year just to post on the forum. Veing a fan you shouldnt have to PAY to be a fan of someone.

Plus u have to give your personal info out, and I dont want to give out that!

MrKandiyohi
04-14-2007, 17:44
Charging is a good way to weed out the people who aren't seriously interested in joining. It also cuts out the spammers who post and run.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but that could be an explanation.

BEER
04-14-2007, 17:57
no.

zoyter2
04-14-2007, 18:02
Hellllll yes! It should be a choice, with a 'free' level still available, but a paid level would be cool.

I can think of at least a dozen or two trolling FNDAs that it would totally eliminate!

It would be nice to have a pay level here and I will be the first to sign up!

PS. Hijack!

Nugents site? $20 a year? :rofl: :rofl: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

Screw him and the guitar he rode in on.

Hijack over!

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 18:04
It's not a new idea.
Often it's done by letting paying members view ad-free pages, have access to member-only areas, member-only functions and other benefits, while allowing a limited but functional access to non-paying members. Those can be and have been successful. (I'm hoping Glocktalk will get there one of these days)

I haven't been to Nugent's site lately, but if the only option they are offering is a paid membership then there probably won't be a Nugent site this time next year.

Exactly as you say, sites that go pay-only atrophe and die, unless they have a corner on an exclusive interest or clientele.

Nugent's site doesn't have that.

Rabbi
04-14-2007, 18:05
Many websites have special forums available only to paying members. I like this idea. Also, if they are only viewable to paying members, the things you post will not end up getting picked up by search engines.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I wish we had such a feature here. I would, and I know others would, post more pictures.

GlockMan40s&w
04-14-2007, 18:09
I would pay to post on this site. Eric does alot to this site to stay up and running.

:thumbsup: Keep up the good work.

Taurus_Dude
04-14-2007, 18:28
No.

But another forum I frequent (offtopic) lets you buy avatars.

Without an AV you can still post, but paying members generally mercilessly make fun of you. And you can't search the forum, among other things.

ax157
04-14-2007, 18:33
It would have to be a very exceptional board, and I would have to be able to atleast view it without paying.

Assuming nothing else had changed... I would pay to use glocktalk, I'm not sure how much, but I would be willing to pay to an extent.

hotlunch
04-14-2007, 18:39
Why would anyone pay to read other peoples opinions? There are too many free sites to choose from that most people don't feel the need to pay for the priveledge of posting.

Nothing more boring than a small, insular forum where all you'll ever see or read are the same opinions from the same handful of people.

major
04-14-2007, 18:41
If I paid, I would want a little more say-so about some things.

stangyg123
04-14-2007, 18:47
Originally posted by zoyter2

+1

2nd. :thumbsup:

nipperwolf
04-14-2007, 18:51
Originally posted by cooldude
NO!!

Thats the reason why I didnt join Klounge, Katharine McPhees official fan club!

yeah, right. :upeyes: :upeyes:

they're smart enough to NOT let stalkers join. ;)

whitetiger7653
04-14-2007, 19:21
Originally posted by hotlunch
Why would anyone pay to read other peoples opinions? There are too many free sites to choose from that most people don't feel the need to pay for the priveledge of posting.

Nothing more boring than a small, insular forum where all you'll ever see or read are the same opinions from the same handful of people.

I agree. If a forum needs money that bad they need to sell advertisement space better. Not including the fact that there are free forum hosting places. Plus you can do fundraisers like Eric did.

zoyter2
04-14-2007, 19:35
I think that the general consensus will end up being that some will pay, some will not. (Hold the applauds for my genius :supergrin: ).

The workable idea here at GT might be for nothing much to change for everybody; the forums could still exist as they are, but there would exist another GLOCKTALK forum section that has options that many here WOULD pay for. IE...photo hosting, archival searching, email, etc.

I don't think that anyone wants to loose what we have, but many members DO want to have more good stuff available and are willing to cover what it costs. :thumbsup:

PS...Brother Rabbi has one VERY good idea (as usual) about the benefits of a paid tier...privacy!

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 20:02
There are some funny things here.
I almost said some funny misconceptions, but that is just my opinion, so I'll stick with funny things...which is also only my opinion.

I doubt if I'd pay $1 per 100 years just to read other peoples opinions.
But there is value in a place where people DISCUSS their opinions, thoughts and ideas.
And to pay a small amount of money to keep the discussions free from trolls, internet gangstas and people that just don't get it is a worthwhile expense.

no.
Seeya

A little, within reason, isn't a bad idea.
A forum ain't a democracy though. The ones that tried to be died young.

Plus u have to give your personal info out, and I dont want to give out that!
There I agree 100%. While if you are paying or donating to a site you have to give some info, or use [puke]PayPal and give it to them...always give the minimum or what you feel safest with.
If a forum needs money that bad they need to sell advertisement space better. Not including the fact that there are free forum hosting places. Plus you can do fundraisers like Eric did.
It isn't pleasant to wade through advertising to get to where you want to be. And advertising income isn't that great anyway...this ain't the superbowl..
Free forum hosting places would run you and everbody else out of here in a day or two...visit a few and you'll understand.
I don't think I should even need to comment on how much work a fund raiser is.

Like I said...funny things...open your eyes folks.

SuckLead
04-14-2007, 20:13
People are going to pay it. Those people have more money than brains, but they'll pay it. I don't mind a board that asks for donations and you can donate whatever you want to. But telling members they have to pay? Nah. I don't need to type at people that badly.

lcarreau
04-14-2007, 20:18
When GT offers a paid tier, I will pay for whatever the highest tier is.

FDC
04-14-2007, 20:22
Pay to post--no, although I have before on the TDR.

Pay for priviledges, it depends on the board. I pay at arfcom because it has a TON of info on it, and you need to pay to be able to search for it. :dunno:

whitetiger7653
04-14-2007, 20:22
Originally posted by chad10mm
It isn't pleasant to wade through advertising to get to where you want to be. And advertising income isn't that great anyway...this ain't the superbowl..
Free forum hosting places would run you and everbody else out of here in a day or two...visit a few and you'll understand.
I don't think I should even need to comment on how much work a fund raiser is.

Wrong on both accounts. Glocktalk and every other forum has paying advertisers. You see the ads every time you come here. You saw at least 2 to post that response. They are at the top of every page. Advertising income is a major part of the internet and can be a good income for the board.

Second there are free forum hosts that are reliable, safe, and have minimal advertising banners. Go visit GunLovers.Net (http://gunlovers.19.forumer.com/index.php) it is run on a free forum host. The only advertising is at the top just like here. The board is free for both the members and the administration.

Chad Landry
04-14-2007, 20:28
I've been hoping GT would offer a paid tier for a long time.

When I was a very regular poster at Team Chevelle, I paid the membership because the site was worth a lot more than that to me. The people there saved me a fortune in parts, taught me to do things that I didn't know how to do, and answered questions quickly when I had them.

Glock Talk is the same way. I've saved a lot of money on guns that I've wanted because people here knew about them and were able to tell me what to look for, and what they were paying for them.

Ammo suppliers that I wouldn't have otherwise found, advice on getting started in reloading, and many other things.

This site is financially rewarding, and I would gladly pay for a membership, even if it offered nothing above and beyond what I get now.

Nugent's site, OTOH, isn't something I'd pay for. I like the man's music, and I have been to a lot of his concerts. I have gotten a few laughs watching his outdoors show. And I'm glad he got Zumbo "upgraded".

I'll buy his records and attend his concerts, but I sure as hell won't pay the man for using his website. Not to worry, though, his "blood-brothers" will, as they continue to "upgrade".

IndyGunFreak
04-14-2007, 20:30
Originally posted by lcarreau

Ditto... and I think I'd still be ahead with everything I've learned here..

IGF

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 21:04
Originally posted by whitetiger7653
Wrong on both counts.(fixed it for you) Glocktalk and every other forum has paying advertisers. You see the ads every time you come here. You saw at least 2 to post that response. They are at the top of every page. Advertising income is a major part of the internet and can be a good income for the board.

Second there are free forum hosts that are reliable, safe, and have minimal advertising banners. Go visit GunLovers.Net (http://gunlovers.19.forumer.com/index.php) it is run on a free forum host. The only advertising is at the top just like here. The board is free for both the members and the administration.

First I recommend to you thehighroad.org. One of the best and most popular firearms-related forums on the internet. Your first comment makes it obvious you've never been there.

I commented to a statement that Glocktalk needs to sell advertising space better.
Glocktalk does a good job keeping the advertising up top where we can see it but use it or ignore it as we choose.

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I somehow missed it, but rest assured that I always see it and often click on it.

My response to that statement meant that putting more advertising on a forum interferes visually with peoples interaction with the forum for what is a small monetary gain. If that's not clear enough let me know and I'll try again.

As to your second item...
I have never seen a free hosting service that could handle anything with 10% of the traffic Glocktalk generates.

'Course I'm a newbie...only been messing around with this stuff for 20 years or so, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

ChuteTheMall
04-14-2007, 21:07
http://shop.glocktalk.com/product_info.php/cPath/7/products_id/19

Click up there :laughabove:

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 21:18
And just as an off topic aside...

I think this is a wonderful idea. I wish we had such a feature here.

I would pay to post on this site. Eric does alot to this site to stay up and running.

I've been hoping GT would offer a paid tier for a long time.

Ditto... and I think I'd still be ahead with everything I've learned here..

Anybody listening?

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 21:21
Originally posted by ChuteTheMall
http://shop.glocktalk.com/product_info.php/cPath/7/products_id/19

Click up there :laughabove:
A good thing, but not at all what we're talking about, ya know?

UtahIrishman
04-14-2007, 21:22
I would pay for membership here, but that's only because I've been here for some time and believe it would be worth it. I think a message board that has only paid membership won't last very long.

There's a ton of variations and options that could be offered as incentives for paid membership. On some message boards you can view but not post. I'm not certain that's the answer, but it's close. I think it takes a bit of experimentation to find the right mix of paid and non-paid services to keep a site optimal.

Chad Landry
04-14-2007, 21:34
It would suck to pay for membership on a board where you find that folks don't like you, after you've paid.

whitetiger7653
04-14-2007, 21:58
Originally posted by chad10mm
First I recommend to you thehighroad.org. One of the best and most popular firearms-related forums on the internet. Your first comment makes it obvious you've never been there.

I commented to a statement that Glocktalk needs to sell advertising space better.
Glocktalk does a good job keeping the advertising up top where we can see it but use it or ignore it as we choose.

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I somehow missed it, but rest assured that I always see it and often click on it.

My response to that statement meant that putting more advertising on a forum interferes visually with peoples interaction with the forum for what is a small monetary gain. If that's not clear enough let me know and I'll try again.

As to your second item...
I have never seen a free hosting service that could handle anything with 10% of the traffic Glocktalk generates.

'Course I'm a newbie...only been messing around with this stuff for 20 years or so, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

I am a member of THR as well. But one example out of how many thousands of forums on the net does not make it the norm.

I agree GT doesn't need anymore advertisements I think Eric has set up the site nicely.

Lastly, I completely understood your statements. I was simply stating they were wrong.

PS. Throwing out years of experience means didly squat to me. Anyone can work a job for 50+ years that doesn't mean they are good at it.

JCWohlschlag
04-14-2007, 22:00
Even having a forum be paid membership only doesn’t weed out the stupid people or the trollers. It only weeds out the stupid people and the trollers that don’t have money.

If you need proof that stupid people with money exist, just call any government phone number and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Eric
04-14-2007, 22:09
I am preparing to launch the paid tier I've been talking about for years. Basic membership will aways be free, but paid members will have access to many new features, like photo hosting, video hosting, games and much more. It should be quite a system. I'll post more about it soon. Eric

Rabbi
04-14-2007, 22:12
Originally posted by Eric
I am preparing to launch the paid tier I've been talking about for years. Basic membership will aways be free, but paid members will have access to many new features, like photo hosting, video hosting, games and much more. It should be quite a system. I'll post more about it soon. Eric

Eric....you run a great site. Thankyou.

Is there anyway you would consider doing a private forum so we can be free of our posts and pics getting indexed by search engines?

You get in at a specific donation level? Perhaps after a number of posts or time frame on the site?

Eric
04-14-2007, 22:16
Originally posted by Rabbi
Eric....you run a great site. Thankyou.

Is there anyway you would consider doing a private forum so we can be free of our posts and pics getting indexed by search engines?

You get in at a specific donation level? Perhaps after a number of posts or time frame on the site?

The paid tier will have some members-only forums that won't be indexable, but for the rest of the site, search engine indexing is absolutely vital for the site's continued growth. That's how people find us. Anyway, thanks for the kind words about GT. It has been a labor of love. Eric

Rabbi
04-14-2007, 22:19
The paid tier will have some members-only forums that won't be indexable, but for the rest of the site, search engine indexing is absolutely vital for the site's continued growth. That's how people find us. Anyway, thanks for the kind words about GT. It has been a labor of love. Eric

Yeah, my failure of words...I meant a specific forum not the whole site. Search engine optimization for this site is paramount for continued growth.

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 22:20
Originally posted by whitetiger7653
I am a member of THR as well. But one example out of how many thousands of forums on the net does not make it the norm.
I was merely responding to what you said...
Glocktalk and every other forum has paying advertisers.
If you are going to engage in a discussion you need to be prepared for the repercussions of broad, sweeping statements.

The rest isn't worth any more comment.

Different perspectives...no sense clogging up the thread.

chad10mm
04-14-2007, 22:23
:banana:

Looking forward to it!!

zoyter2
04-14-2007, 22:35

The preceeding post gets the official Zoyter2 seal of WHHHHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

HAWK11K
04-14-2007, 22:43
Never!!!

Kevin108
04-14-2007, 23:04
I would pay to post here but I doubt I would any other forum. I have donated to more than one forum in the past and never felt like it was a waste of money. I've contributed here once and bought a raffle ticket or two.

beckrodgers
04-15-2007, 05:37
No I don't think so ..
The thought reminds me of some of the chessy dating sites and forums around..

Riflemanz
04-15-2007, 05:42
I don't really care for the nuge site so i wouldn't pay for it.He's got plenty of cash and shoudn't charge anyone.

ChuteTheMall
04-15-2007, 18:52

How much will I get paid? I wanna be a paid member! :banana:

bukn77
04-15-2007, 18:56
NO!! I have recieved a lot of useful info here and when I can I will probably contribute, but if you force me to pay I will quit.

Gallium
04-15-2007, 19:09
Originally posted by bukn77
NO!! I have received a lot of useful info here and when I can I will probably contribute, but if you force me to pay I will quit.

What if we force you to read the ENTIRE thread?

:) :) :) :)

Hiya Eric. Kudos on a cool site. :beer:

'Drew

Ender
04-15-2007, 19:20
i will absolutely pay to post here.

would i pay to post at any other site? nope. here is different :supergrin:

i may not take the highest tier, since i won't be paying just to use the available features; i'll be paying to support the only non-porn website that i spend any amount of time at :supergrin:

bukn77
04-15-2007, 19:38
Originally posted by NYC Drew
What if we force you to read the ENTIRE thread?

:) :) :) :)

Hiya Eric. Kudos on a cool site. :beer:

'Drew

O man did that hurt, but it made me go back and read everything. Hope there's no test at the end. Eric's system still sounds like it gives you free access to a certain degree.?

Gallium
04-15-2007, 19:55
Originally posted by bukn77
O man did that hurt, but it made me go back and read everything. Hope there's no test at the end. Eric's system still sounds like it gives you free access to a certain degree.?

No harm, no foul! I meant that in an OKIE kinda way!

Yeah, based on what he's saying, and what's offered by other fine sites, it would be free to join, free to post, and PROBABLY free for the most basic of searches...but paid membership would (MIGHT) offer SOME services that are free now + a whole smörgåsbord of stuff not available to any of us now.

Be well.
'Drew
:cool:

jhall
04-15-2007, 20:02
I would pay here, as I donate when the fundraisers come around anyway.

And I paid at arfcom, although it was mainly to search the archives, as I was on a EBR kick for awhile..
I think I've posted just a few times there..

As I only visit 3 forums, and I've paid at 2 of them, I would have to say yes to the original question. :supergrin:

Singlemalt
04-16-2007, 05:56

+1.......how long has this been an "idea" here?

Shoeless
04-16-2007, 06:50
It would depend on the board and how much value I got from it. There are some boards I frequent that I'd definitely pay to participate. Others, probably not.

GT? Definitely.

Shoeless

1Mean9x19
04-16-2007, 07:18
I would not pay, not becuase it's not worth it, but because I already am stretched to the limit with my bills. If cash was not an issue for me, I might consider it.

I think if this site became a pay forum the membership would drop in half the first year, if not more.

BBruce
04-16-2007, 07:23
I love class division.

You soon to become 2nd Class posters, i.e., non-payers are gonna feel so left out.

Yep, membership cost / bulletin boards make one feel so special, of course that feeling is entirely dependent on what you do or don't pay, either way there's lots of feelings...

Rabbi
04-16-2007, 07:57
Originally posted by BBruce
I love class division.

You soon to become 2nd Class posters, i.e., non-payers are gonna feel so left out.

Yep, membership cost / bulletin boards make one feel so special, of course that feeling is entirely dependent on what you do or don't pay, either way there's lots of feelings...

Sad you see it this way. Life costs. That is a fact that people who are a little tight on funds know more than people who are not as tight on funds.

Glock Talk costs as well, so the truth is...You will end up with someone else paying your way.

Eric
04-16-2007, 09:14
I love class division.

You ought to try signing the checks and dealing with the headaches here for a while. You might have a better appreciation of why a step like this is necessary. The resources you use here cost money.

A number of people here need to go back and read the whole thread, or at least the original post. This didn't start out about GT becoming a paid member-only system. Eric

voodoomanx
04-16-2007, 10:54
I think I would have to...at least on GT. I've only been here a month or so and I'm a Glock-Talk-aholic. I've made purchases based on suggestions, reviews, recommendations, and saved money and gained insite into repair, troubleshooting, shooting techniques and tips. Glock Talk is my first stop for research, and usually for entertainment as well.

I was an admin for a board (much smaller membership around 1000, with only about 100 reg posters, but still it eats traffic like crazy, you get complaints, suggestions, and pm's up the butt, and mine was hosted on small server plan and when I ran out of bandwidth one month and the site was shut down I never thought I'd hear the end of it).

So thanks Eric and all the reg's here for their wisdom, their humor, and their ability to inform, frustrate, and educate all in one scary little package known as GLOCKTALK!

BBruce
04-16-2007, 11:13
Eric,

Points noted.

Educate me please.

What would help keep costs down?

Would editing out all the willy-nilly cut and pasting of articles from newspapers, blogs, etc. or the endless reposting of an O.P.'s original input or the same photo reposted over and over to satisfy one posters one word quip, or....what WOULD help keep costs down by the posters in general?

Anything?

Or is GT to become a cost type BB and that's that?

If and when that happens no problem for me.

I'm not locked into it.

Thanks

Gallium
04-16-2007, 15:47
Eric,

Points noted.

Educate me please.

What would help keep costs down?

Would editing out all the willy-nilly cut and pasting of articles from newspapers, blogs, etc. or the endless reposting of an O.P.'s original input or the same photo reposted over and over to satisfy one posters one word quip, or....what WOULD help keep costs down by the posters in general?

Anything?

I'm not locked into it.

Thanks

You are asking very pointed and leading questions to solidify your own point of view.

'Drew

IndyGunFreak
04-16-2007, 15:53

I'm not locked into it.

Thanks

:crazy: :crazy:

Did you read the thread as suggested? There's apparently no intent on Eric's part to make GT a paid membership only site. Paid membership will simply offer perks. If you want to continue posting for free, you'll be able to, and will probably notice little, if any, changes. He's pretty much played the same tune since the first time he mentioned a paid membership tier.

To keep costs down, we could all stop posting, but then advertisers won't pay to advertise here, etc. The paid tier to me, is just all a part of growing. I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner, unless Eric is independently wealthy and just hasn't told any of us... :)

Don't worry, you won't log on tomorrow, and be told to fork over your visa #, or no more posting for you... ;)

IGF

BBruce
04-17-2007, 09:17
I still didn't get an answer to my question.

What can the current posters do to help with keeping the costs down i.e., disallowing reposting of newspaper articles and the like, repetitious OP reposting when completely unnecessary, ad nauseam, and other types of bandwidth waste?

If the current posters CAN help, why not appeal to them? And, if they can and choose not to cooperate, ban them.

If I'm off base - please educate me.

82ndAbn
04-17-2007, 09:36
I would never pay to post on a discussion board. Why do that when there are top quality websites available for free?

That said, the Nuge is free to do whatever he wants. As a pro capitalist, I hope he's successful in recouping the cost of maintaining his site and then some.

FDC
04-17-2007, 17:25
If we pay, can we have an "ignore forum" feature? There are a couple of forums here that I would love to not see on the "view new posts" list.:)

Eric
04-17-2007, 17:40
I still didn't get an answer to my question.

What can the current posters do to help with keeping the costs down i.e., disallowing reposting of newspaper articles and the like, repetitious OP reposting when completely unnecessary, ad nauseam, and other types of bandwidth waste?

If the current posters CAN help, why not appeal to them? And, if they can and choose not to cooperate, ban them.

If I'm off base - please educate me.

BBruce, you are off-base. Cost-cutting isn't the right approach. I could easily cut costs by limiting access to the site's resources. That would have the financial benefit of driving away longtime members and reducing the number of new members, eventually leading to the site's demise, which would really save me time and money. In order for the site to thrive, it has to grow and evolve and efforts to curtail the use of its resources, beyond stopping gross wastes of those resources, would hurt the site. The site is going to use the resources that it uses. The focus instead needs to be on keeping those resources financed, which is what I am working on now.

Trying to throttle the site's use to save money would be like trying to make your dog stop running to save money on dog food. The dog needs to be able to run and play and occasionally chase his tail to be healthy and happy. This site can't grow and thrive if its resources are being metered out too conservatively. There is no reason why this place can't be self sufficient and pay its own way. I think that adding a paid membership level to the site is a good start towards that end. I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. Eric

muscogee
04-17-2007, 18:54
Do it. I have been waiting and hoping.

betyourlife
04-17-2007, 20:15
Originally posted by major

+1 otherwise why not just go elsewhere?

betyourlife
04-17-2007, 20:15

+1 otherwise why not just go elsewhere?

Gallium
04-17-2007, 20:42
BBruce, you are off-base.... I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. Eric

I honestly didn't mean to get creative with quoting you!

I merely kept the 1st and last sentences!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AJE
04-17-2007, 21:17
I'm a paying member over at ARFCOM.

Eric
04-17-2007, 21:53

At lot of things will change when the paid membership tier launches. One important thing will not: GT is not run by committee. One guy needs to be in charge and for better or worse, that guy is me. As always though, I am interested in hearing people's opinions on the site and its operation. That won't change. I do tend to lend more weight to the thoughts, opinions and suggestions of people who have been here a while. Likewise, people who have helped the site out financially are going to get listened to as well, but no one should think that their money is buying them the right to expect me to do as they say. The money buys the continued existence of the site and it is appreciated. I just don't want anyone to have any false expectations.

<b>Things paid membership <u>WILL NOT</u> buy you:</b>

Any leniency or special consideration when it comes to the behavior expected of people here. A paid membership does not give anyone the right to act any differently than anyone else and no special consideration will be given to anyone who violates the TOS here, regardless of their membership status.
The right to tell me how to run the site. Well actually, people have never been shy about doing that and I don't mind as long as the opinions are expressed politely, but no one should think that buying a paid membership gives them the right to expect me to do as they say.
A paid membership does not buy my advocacy or my support of your political views, your opinions, your company or your side in an argument.

<b>Paid Memberships <u>WILL</u> buy you:</b>

A larger avatar by their name.
A special icon under their name.
Access to many great new features, including photo hosting, video hosting, free your name at glocktalk.com webmail, a new game area and much more. I will announce more details soon.
A larger private message box.
A spell checker.
The ability to submit articles to be posted in a new article system on the site.
Access to post in a new review system that will be openning.
Access to some paid members-only forums that will be opening. I am also considering making a couple of the more controversial forums to paid members-only forums, to cut down the signal-to-noise ratio a bit. A couple of the forums under consideration are the Religious Issues and Political Issues forums. I haven't made any firm decisions on this matter yet.
Access to a new chat system. I am also looking into adding new Instant Messaging system.
There will be a business paid membership option as well as a personal one. In the new systems, businesses will not be allowed to advertise themselves in their signature lines, or in other places on the site, unless they are a paid business member. Business membership will have a number of other perks as well.
Under the new system, we are adding a very slick new classified ads system. This software uses the GT membership database (So only one login and user account to worry about) and it has some really great features. Under the new system, any member will be able to post a small number of classified ads a month for free (Probably 2 or 3 monthly). If someone wants to post more ads than that a month, they will need to step up to a paid membership. There will also be the advantage of having a paid member icon as a buyer or seller in the classified ads system. That means that others can buy or sell with you with more confidence because you will be known to the system.
I am considering putting a percentage of GT's earnings into a special fund. Others will be able to donate directly to this fund as well. Paid members will have a vote in this system and will elect a committee that will come up with worthy causes to which to donate this money. This committee will put any ideas to a vote and paid members will be allowed to vote on the matter. The money could be donated to a charity or cause, or to a person or persons, members on GT or not, who have suffered a hardship and need help.

I have given this idea thought for a long time and I have tons of great ideas about how to improve the site and make this new system a true asset to everyone involved.

The delay in launching this system, or in taking other proactive measures to provide for the site's financial wellbeing is a simple one with no simple solution: The site requires enough of my time to run it that it is for all practical purposes a full time job. Unfortunately, it doesn't make enough money to pay its bills AND pay me a living wage and it does not leave me enough time to work a conventional full-time job. In order to make ends meet, I take contract work that I can fit into my schedule. As a result, my schedule is so hectic and unpredictable that it is difficult to devote the time necessary to get the paid membership tier, and other ideas, off the ground.

If I can get this place to a point that it is taking care of itself AND me financially, I can make some truly great things happen here. I have a lot of ideas I would like to turn into a reality, like a political action advocacy system, a political humor showcase and series of products, a comprehensive how-to and multimedia informational system for all type of firearms and much, much more. We could do some truly incredible things here, if I can clear this next hurtle.

Folks, I built this place and I've been running it almost a decade. I've gotten pretty good at it and I've got a wealth of experience from which to make predictions about how new innovations and ideas will be received here. I know that there are a percentage of people that will reject change in any form and others that will fight any attempt to make money for the site. Most people will come around and others will not. We will lose members when these changes happen, but the new features and functions will entice many new members to join. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and things will go on. I will regret losing any members, but I must confess that I don't have much patience for anyone who doesn't agree in principle with my decision to try to make this place pay for itself and pay me for my efforts. People that feel this way will come or stay as they see fit, but I am not going to spend a lot of time worrying about how they feel about the changes to come. This is something that needs to happen. All I ask is for everyone to keep an open mind and give the new system a chance. I am good at what I do and I believe the new system will be worth any trouble or inconvenience any of us has to endure to get it off the ground. Eric

Eric
04-17-2007, 22:18
I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this seemed like a good opportunity to bring up the pending GT paid tier info. Eric

lcarreau
04-17-2007, 22:23
I like the idea of making the high maintenance (controversial) forums paid tier only. Also, more PM space will be a plus for me.

I look forward to the new tiered system and intend to be among the first in line to pay for the toptier of memebership.

-Lonnie

BEER
04-17-2007, 22:40
I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this seemed like a good opportunity to bring up the pending GT paid tier info. Eric

i have one question, what will the membership payment methods be for a paid member? will money orders be acceptable or will it be online transactions only?

Eric
04-17-2007, 22:52
Originally posted by BEER
i have one question, what will the membership payment methods be for a paid member? will money orders be acceptable or will it be online transactions only?

I will initially accept Pay Pal, or check or money orders as payment. I hope to be able to add credit card processing soon as well.

<b> People will be able to pay by money order, but if they use this payment method, they will not receive whatever <font color="red">'Verified'</font> icon that I will give to paid members, for use in the classified ads forums. The purpose of that icon is to let users know that the member in question used some sort of verifiable payment method that will give law enforcement a way to find them, in the event of a fraudulent transaction. <font size=1><i>Obviously, any personal information on any member of the site would only be given to the proper authorities and only then when the request is verified as being legal and official.</i></font> Anyway, money orders are more anonymous, so no 'verified' icon will be given. I hope this answers your question.</b> Eric

Blinky
04-17-2007, 22:55
Eric, so far I'm liking what I'm hearing about the paid membership. :thumbsup:

lcarreau
04-17-2007, 22:59
I will initially accept Pay Pal, or check or money orders as payment. I hope to be able to add credit card processing soon as well.

<b> People will be able to pay by money order, but if they use this payment method, they will not receive whatever <font color="red">'Verified'</font> icon that I will give to paid members, for use in the classified ads forums. The purpose of that icon is to let users know that the member in question used some sort of verifiable payment method that will give law enforcement a way to find them, in the event of a fraudulent transaction. <font size=1><i>Obviously, any personal information on any member of the site would only be given to the proper authorities and only then when the request is verified as being legal and official.</i></font> Anyway, money orders are more anonymous, so no 'verified' icon will be given. I hope this answers your question.</b> Eric

The "verified" icon will make for safer transacions in the classified section. I try to stick to face to face transactions because I worry about traceability.

-Lonnie

UtahIrishman
04-17-2007, 23:01
This is sounding way cool. I like what I'm hearing Eric.

So...ummm...at the risk of hi-jacking the thread further...as a paid member will I have access to where ever you get those cool avatars from? :supergrin:

zoyter2
04-17-2007, 23:03
Let me reiterate......my money and I are ready and waiting! :banana: :banana:

Eric
04-17-2007, 23:05
The "verified" icon will make for safer transacions in the classified section...

-Lonnie

That's what I'm hoping. The icon, along with the feedback system that the new software has, should make things safer for everyone. Eric

Eric
04-17-2007, 23:07
Originally posted by UtahIrishman
This is sounding way cool. I like what I'm hearing Eric.

So...ummm...at the risk of hi-jacking the thread further...as a paid member will I have access to where ever you get those cool avatars from? :supergrin:

Funny you should ask. I have considered making up lots of avatars and offering them in the GT shopping cart, for a nominal fee. It wouldn't make much, but every little bit helps keep this place in Cheese Whiz. Eric

Gallium
04-17-2007, 23:12
Sounds good Eric.

At the rate of my <s>addiction</s> participation, A few schekels to keep this place running is very worth it.

One suggestion.

Can you ACCIDENTALLY reset Okie's & Mrs. VRs post counts during the upgrade so a NY brother could have a shot at catching up?

....and it's a foregone conclusion that the "health" of the relationship should not change because of financial contribution.

I'll send out my annual check by May 1st!

'Drew

Eric
04-17-2007, 23:18
...Can you ACCIDENTALLY reset Okie's & Mrs. VRs post counts during the upgrade so a NY brother could have a shot at catching up?...

Funny you should mention THAT...

I have kicked around an idea of a system here where people could make a donation to the site and pick another member to get picked on. We could call the function something like <b>'GT Pet Goat For A Day'</b>. It would all be done in good fun and we could come up with all sorts of ways to screw with the poor victims!:devilish: It could be something like a GT celebrity roast type of thing. It would take a bit of work to get the format and ground rules down to make it workable, but I think it would be a lot of fun. Eric

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 00:13

E-

I'm hoping you didn't cover this in page 3 at all, but would prior donaters be granted the "Paid Tier" access, or would we donate again?

Rabbi
04-18-2007, 00:19
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
E-

I'm hoping you didn't cover this in page 3 at all, but would prior donaters be granted the "Paid Tier" access, or would we donate again?

I am sure he will acount for that in some way. (And good question)

I guess all I am curious about is how many levels and what dollar amounts are you thinking.

Other than that, I think you do a wonderful job keeping the peace among 65000 folks. Not only can that not be easy...not many could even do it at all.

Eric
04-18-2007, 00:37
E-

Actually, the donations system and the paid tier will be separate systems. I only keep records of donations for 45 days, so it wouldn't be possible for me to know who paid how much further back than that.

I don't want to sound ungrateful for donations that people have made, but donations in the past were gratefully accepted and used to pay bills at that time. I need the revenue from the paid tier system to help support GT into the future.

As I mentioned, I am going to keep up the donation system exclusive of the paid tier, but I am working on a way to do something nice for people who donate. The spirit of the donation is that it is made not expecting something in return, but it would be nice to be able to give something back. I am thinking about doing a recurring drawing for people who make a straight donation to the site. I thought that I might be able to get some sponsors to pony up gift certificates for prizes. I'm not sure exactly what the finished concept will look like, but I am working on it.

Donations, or the paid tier, or advertising or merchandise sales can all make money for the site, but none of them can support the place by itself. I am hoping that all of them together can do so. Eric

Eric
04-18-2007, 00:40
I am sure he will acount for that in some way. (And good question)

I guess all I am curious about is how many levels and what dollar amounts are you thinking.

Other than that, I think you do a wonderful job keeping the peace among 65000 folks. Not only can that not be easy...not many could even do it at all.

Initially, there will be a personal paid membership and a business paid membership. In the near future, I want to be able to offer three levels each type of membership, with progressively more and better access to the features I will be adding. I haven't settled on dollar amounts for the memberships yet. I will keep them fair. I hope to be able to post more information on the system in the next week or so. I appreciate the interest. Eric

BEER
04-18-2007, 00:49

that not only answers my question, but it also changes my mind about my willingness to pay for membership. the quicker you get these shenannigans rolling, the quicker you'll get my snail mail payment.

one last question, and this is not imprtant or anything but, once we get a paid tier type deal working will there be any special adult oriented type forum where we can cut losse a little? you know, the language filters are a little looser, and the pics are a little racier maybe, anything like that?

Eric
04-18-2007, 00:56
that not only answers my question, but it also changes my mind about my willingness to pay for membership. the quicker you get these shenannigans rolling, the quicker you'll get my snail mail payment.

one last question, and this is not imprtant or anything but, once we get a paid tier type deal working will there be any special adult oriented type forum where we can cut losse a little? you know, the language filters are a little looser, and the pics are a little racier maybe, anything like that?

You know, that is something I have given quite a bit of thought. I wouldn't mind having an area for more adult oriented content, but I am wondering if it would be possible to do so without it turning into a smutfest. If I did something like this, I would want it to be in keeping with the atmosphere on the rest of the site. Anyway, it is something I am kicking around.

As for the bad word filter, I am working on an idea for a new modification of this system. What I have in mind is to modify the system so that non-members, members who are not logged in and all logged in members by default would be under the umbrella of a bad word filter, but members would have the ability to turn the filter off individually when they were logged in, if they liked. I could even make it so that each user had their own personal bad word filter list they could maintain. Again, this is just speculation at this time, but it is something I have kicked around. Maybe this is a mod that would only be applied to some paid members-only forums. I don't know. I am considering a number of new ideas. I am a tinkerer at heart. Eric

BEER
04-18-2007, 01:05
if you become anymore "the man" we're gonna have to change your screen name to chuck norris. lol

DustyBottoms
04-18-2007, 02:08
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have about 30 sites that I regularly visit. Paying for them is not an option.

tantrix
04-18-2007, 03:03
once we get a paid tier type deal working will there be any special adult oriented type forum where we can cut losse a little? you know, the language filters are a little looser, and the pics are a little racier maybe, anything like that?

I agree 10000000000%.

You know, that is something I have given quite a bit of thought. I wouldn't mind having an area for more adult oriented content, but I am wondering if it would be possible to do so without it turning into a smutfest. If I did something like this, I would want it to be in keeping with the atmosphere on the rest of the site. Anyway, it is something I am kicking around.

As for the bad word filter, I am working on an idea for a new modification of this system. What I have in mind is to modify the system so that non-members, members who are not logged in and all logged in members by default would be under the umbrella of a bad word filter, but members would have the ability to turn the filter off individually when they were logged in, if they liked. I could even make it so that each user had their own personal bad word filter list they could maintain.

Maybe make paid memberships optional, and only the paying members have access to the uncensored content. Users would have the choice of accessing the boards how they are now or if they want the full-blown version they could access the uncensored language and adult-oriented topics.

This would also cut down on misbehaving in the current forum areas, because if the topic was very sensitive and it escalated into a heated debate they could "take it out back" so to speak. The thread could be moved to the adult-only unrestricted area by mods or simply closed and the members told to take it to the other area.

That would be fantastic and quite a brilliant setup. Anyone offended chose to be, so no repercussions on your end as the Admin. It's the perfect message board actually. :thumbsup:

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 03:19
Eric:

How much would it cost me to have LV702's post count reset to about -1000000? If you shoot me a number that's workable I'll send you a check.

And for Naughty Filter v 2.0 can we please block the words:
-Rosie
-O'Donnell
-Jarhead
-Brokeback?

Thank you.

Chad Landry
04-18-2007, 07:06
Eric:

How much would it cost me to have LV702's post count reset to about -1000000? If you shoot me a number that's workable I'll send you a check.

And for Naughty Filter v 2.0 can we please block the words:
-Rosie
-O'Donnell
-Jarhead
-Brokeback?

Thank you.

And we should also include American Idol related items (just joking Peach).;)

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 07:39
Originally posted by cjlandry
And we should also include American Idol/reality tv related items

:innocent:

lcarreau
04-18-2007, 08:14
Eric:

If Eric had a telethon where every dollar decremented LV's post count by one, GT would be good to go for a long time. :)

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 08:41
If Eric had a telethon where every dollar decremented LV's post count by one, GT would be good to go for a long time. :)

"For just pennies a day YOU can make Stephen very ticked off!"

freakshow10mm
04-18-2007, 09:01
When GT offers a paid tier, I will pay for whatever the highest tier is. :thumbsup: Me too.

Razoreye
04-18-2007, 09:53
Originally posted by cooldude
NO!!

Thats the reason why I didnt join Klounge, Katharine McPhees official fan club! They want 25 bucks a year just to post on the forum. Veing a fan you shouldnt have to PAY to be a fan of someone.

Plus u have to give your personal info out, and I dont want to give out that! Perhaps to get rid of creepy stalkers like you, Cybyte?

The Nuge is full of himself. He has crappy music and a sketchy past that people are willing to overlook because he supports gun rights.

Razoreye
04-18-2007, 10:08
Will the board be purged of old posts as fast as it currently is or are you going to set up an archival server...? Sometimes it'd be nice to be able to go back more than 6 months to a year.

Glock20.com
04-18-2007, 10:55
Just saw your thread on people paying to post, etc.

I would be happy to put together smaller AMSOIL gift certificates (additional ones) so you could give them away on a more frequent basis. Maybe something so that when X number of people sign up at a level, there is a prize drawn so that there is a pretty good/consistent chance that people would win. If memberships were $10 each at a level, the maybe each set of 25 would get a 1 in 25 chance at a $25 certificate. certificates would be transferable. For higher levels, say $25 levels, every 10 could get a drawing or every 20 could get a drawing for a $50 cert, etc.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, so I am pulling these numbers out of my butt, but I am happy to help in exchange for ad space.

yet another Eric
www.Race-Oil.com
AMSOIL User and Dealer

Actually, the donations system and the paid tier will be separate systems. I only keep records of donations for 45 days, so it wouldn't be possible for me to know who paid how much further back than that.

I don't want to sound ungrateful for donations that people have made, but donations in the past were gratefully accepted and used to pay bills at that time. I need the revenue from the paid tier system to help support GT into the future.

As I mentioned, I am going to keep up the donation system exclusive of the paid tier, but I am working on a way to do something nice for people who donate. The spirit of the donation is that it is made not expecting something in return, but it would be nice to be able to give something back. I am thinking about doing a recurring drawing for people who make a straight donation to the site. I thought that I might be able to get some sponsors to pony up gift certificates for prizes. I'm not sure exactly what the finished concept will look like, but I am working on it.

Donations, or the paid tier, or advertising or merchandise sales can all make money for the site, but none of them can support the place by itself. I am hoping that all of them together can do so. Eric

Taurus_Dude
04-18-2007, 11:07
Let me reiterate my thoughts.

I will not pay to post on GlockTalk. There are other gun forums I'd rather go to if it came down to paying $5 a month. In fact, I already pay for one.

As I said before, you may want to look into the system that forums.offtopic.com uses. You do not need to pay to post. However, you do need to pay to use the search feature, and get an avatar. The avatar is a respect thing. The guys without them are usually reminded (friendly most of the time) that they really ought to get one.

If you pay $5 for an Avatar, for a month you can use all of the extra features. After that month, your avatar remains, but you can no longer use search features, you can't change your avatars picture, and your PM box will only hold 5 messages.

That way anyone selling anything is going to be encouraged to get an avatar. Anyone who wants to search will need it, and so forth. There are closed forums that only the members with Avatars can get into, and usually anyone selling anything in the for sale section doesn't want to deal with anyone that hasn't payed the $5 atleast once.

Its seemed to work out great, and the owner of the site makes a nice chunk of change.

Problem is, they have a pretty good gun forum, and If I have to pay to be here, I'll just stick with the one site I'm already paying for.

I just checked and the front page says there are 1100 active users at this instant. I've seen it go over 2000 in the evenings sometimes. If just a tenth of those purchased the extra features for $5 a month, thats $500 a month. And those are just the users surfing right now. I have no clue how many active users glocktalk has on a daily basis, but the front page says 67,000 registered users. I'm gonna take a guess and say maybe 20,000 are active. If even just a twentieth payed for an avatar and everything else, that would be a dang nice chunk of money. I know hosting isn't cheap, but its not THAT expensive either. A private server at a colo is only around $200 a month last time I checked. And that was with a 5 mb/s connection.

Another thing your going to want to think about is, a week or so ago I made a post (I can't remember about what) and used the word "cock". As in "That guy was a real cock". I got 2 separate Personal Messages from different people telling me to edit my post. If I'm paying to post somewhere, you better believe I'm going to be ticked if I can't type the same way I talk. I'm not saying let people post hard core porn, but if someone is paying, and a "****" or "damn" slips in here or there, they shouldn't be chastised like little kids. This is a gun forum after all, and I'm sure the majority of gun owners and enthusiasts are of age.

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 11:12
Once again you're not going to HAVE to pay to play here. Only if you want "enhanced" features. You'll still have everything you had before if you don't pay.

Eric
04-18-2007, 11:16
Originally posted by Taurus_Dude

I will not pay to post on GlockTalk. There are other gun forums I'd rather go to if it came down to paying $5 a month. In fact, I already pay for one.

You may want to look into the system that forums.offtopic.com uses. You do not need to pay to post. However, you do need to pay to use the search feature, and get an avatar. The avatar is a respect thing. The guys without them are usually reminded (friendly most of the time) that they really ought to get one.

If you pay $5 for an Avatar, for a month you can use all of the extra features. After that month, your avatar remains, but you can no longer use search features, you can't change your avatars picture, and your PM box will only hold 5 messages.

That way anyone selling anything is going to be encouraged to get an avatar. Anyone who wants to search will need it, and so forth. There are closed forums that only the members with Avatars can get into, and usually anyone selling anything in the for sale section doesn't want to deal with anyone that hasn't payed the $5 atleast once.

Its seemed to work out great, and the owner of the site makes a nice chunk of change.

Problem is, they have a pretty good gun forum, and If I have to pay to be here, I'll just stick with the one site I'm already paying for.

It isn't going to cost you anything to actually read what I posted. If you don't want to support GT, that is your right. I covered that in my posts as well. Eric

Glock20.com
04-18-2007, 11:22
It seems like you have a lot of people who want to send you money for paid memberships. perhaps you can set up a shopping cart item for membership deposits so they can start sending you money to relieve your financial stress while you work out what exactly it will earn.

an item of $5 and/or $10 and/or $25 would let people start sending cash your way and then when you figure out the program and the start date, you just give them the credit and let them send the balance of what's due for the level they want.

I also have another idea that might generate money for you that I will post in the support forum.

Gallium
04-18-2007, 14:15
It isn't going to cost you anything to actually read what I posted. If you don't want to support GT, that is your right. I covered that in my posts as well. Eric

Aw MAN! You stole my thunder.

I ESPECIALLY like when someone (who is neither a business sponsor, a moderator, an administrator, NOR THE OWNER) says

"Let ME reiterate...."

For those that are coming in late...

Eric
Administrator

= GLOCKTALK BIG CHEEZE

BigBoostDSM
04-18-2007, 15:40
I pay to post on OT, but that's cause I get my porno there :hearts:

Doubt I'd pay for a site that doesn't offer me something above and beyond what I can get elsewhere.

Rabbi
04-18-2007, 16:17

As I said before, you may want to look into the system that forums.offtopic.com uses. You do not need to pay to post. However, you do need to pay to use the search feature, and get an avatar. The avatar is a respect thing. The guys without them are usually reminded (friendly most of the time) that they really ought to get one.

I just checked and the front page says there are 1100 active users at this instant. I've seen it go over 2000 in the evenings sometimes. If just a tenth of those purchased the extra features for $5 a month, thats $500 a month. And those are just the users surfing right now. I have no clue how many active users glocktalk has on a daily basis, but the front page says 67,000 registered users. I'm gonna take a guess and say maybe 20,000 are active. If even just a twentieth payed for an avatar and everything else, that would be a dang nice chunk of money. I know hosting isn't cheap, but its not THAT expensive either. A private server at a colo is only around $200 a month last time I checked. And that was with a 5 mb/s connection.

Another thing your going to want to think about is, a week or so ago I made a post (I can't remember about what) and used the word "cock". As in "That guy was a real cock". I got 2 separate Personal Messages from different people telling me to edit my post. If I'm paying to post somewhere, you better believe I'm going to be ticked if I can't type the same way I talk. I'm not saying let people post hard core porn, but if someone is paying, and a "****" or "damn" slips in here or there, they shouldn't be chastised like little kids. This is a gun forum after all, and I'm sure the majority of gun owners and enthusiasts are of age.

The admin of this site doesnt need anyone defending his actions when it comes to something he owns...so I wont issue a diatribe on those matters....however,...the money... Why would you...who will not have to pay if you dont want too...why would you try to limit what Eric makes? He stated he would like to make a living off of this site. Many people do just that with forums.

It is a full time job. this is an entertainment venue. Eric is the Ringmaster of a 50 ring circus and last time I looked into it, entertainment managers made a fair living. Generating 500 a month would probably be a step BACK from current earnings. Given his skills and what it takes to live these days, he would probably like to NET well over $5,000 a month. (I dont see why this place could not net 10-15K a month though.) Working towards a goal such as that should be the goal...not how cheap he can do it so you dont have to pay.

Wog
04-18-2007, 16:21

Besides, you're on your third account here, so it's best not to make an investment that you'll likely lose!

Gallium
04-18-2007, 16:27
...Generating 500 a month would probably be a step BACK from current earnings. ...

If I made less than $500 A DAY I'd be in deep doo doo.

If he was able to make $5000 a month (net), more power to him.

It's not like he's in LaPierre territory - and even if he was, I would not care - unless he stated pleading poverty!

:)

Ender
04-18-2007, 16:38
Once again you're not going to HAVE to pay to play here. Only if you want "enhanced" features. You'll still have everything you had before if you don't pay.

people don't seem to grasp the concept that nothing will really change for those who don't WANT to pay.

i'm all for the paid tier system. i HOPE it not only helps keep GT afloat, but that it helps make Eric some cash.

i bet if you dropped 10k in his lap right now, and divided it over all of the hours he has spent maintaining this site, that he'd be making less than your average fast food employee ;)

not counting expenses and such that he has never done anything more than ASK for donations or run a contest now and again.

there are very few things on the net that i would pay for. i won't pay for porn, and i won't pay for email access. i WILL pay a few bucks a month to support GT. and i hope it puts a few extra bucks a month in Eric's pocket, for all the crap he has dealt with in the past, building a website just for the sake of having a community such as this one.

Eric
04-18-2007, 17:29

Let me cover a couple of points I missed the first time I read your post:

First of all, GT isn't on one low-end box at a budget co-lo facility. The website system is on TWELVE servers and we used more than 1.4TB of bandwidth last month. That is terabytes for those of you that don't habla geek-speak. It costs one hell of a lot more than $200 a month to keep this place afloat and that isn't even factoring in equipment costs, software license costs and wages. This is an expensive operation.

Secondly, <b>and I want to be very clear on this point</b>, the same behavior will be expected of everyone here, whether you are a paid member or not. This site's posting rules have been in place unchanged for almost a decade and it is unlikely they will change in the future. If you do not like the site's rules or how the place is run, keep your money in your pocket. Anyway, I don't think that anyone here ever gets 'chastised like kids', but whatever you call the warnings, it is never necessary when people act like mature, responsible adults. If you want to be able to use vulgar language when the mood strikes you, maybe this isn't the site for you. At any rate, paid membership is not going to give anyone the right to dictate terms to me or to act in a way that violates this site's TOS and you can take that to the bank. Eric

henrygale
04-18-2007, 21:52
pay ? no i would not. there are alot of gun forums on the internet as good or better then gt that is for free.That and i have seen the added features and none of the paid features stands out as anything i would care for paid or free.also this site has has to be making some pocket money or it would not be up and going, it is not a hobby parttime site.money is being made.to each thier own god bless.

Eric
04-18-2007, 21:58
Originally posted by henrygale
pay ? no i would not. there are alot of gun forums on the internet as good or better then gt that is for free.That and i have seen the added features and none of the paid features stands out as anything i would care for paid or free.also this site has has to be making some pocket money or it would not be up and going, it is not a hobby parttime site.money is being made.to each thier own god bless.

You know, if I had been banned from a site, managed to sneak back on and wanted to hang out there, I hope I would have the sense to keep my head down. Eric

Gallium
04-18-2007, 22:07
Originally posted by henrygale

Date Registered: 04-11-2007

Sarah Brady, is that you?

Razoreye
04-18-2007, 22:07
You know, if I had been banned from a site, managed to sneak back on and wanted to hang out there, I hope I would have the sense to keep my head down. Eric LoL, pwnt.

Ahem.

Originally posted by Razoreye
Will the board be purged of old posts as fast as it currently is or are you going to set up an archival server...? Sometimes it'd be nice to be able to go back more than 6 months to a year.

Eric
04-18-2007, 22:16
LoL, pwnt.

Ahem.

I do plan on setting up an archive system. Once I have the funds to upgrade the equipment, I will set the archive up on the older stuff. I don't like having to lose the old message threads either. Eric

jdeere_man
04-18-2007, 22:31
I think I'm addicted what can I say.

However, I and many people, have come to love the internet because of the many "free" services it has to offer. I despise the day when all the sites charge for services we're used to getting for free.

That said, for a good site, yes I'd probably pay, but would limit my membership to a select few, and participate in less sites.

I think a donation basis is the best way to go if you can make it work for you. If donations aren't cutting it, then charge a reasonable fee.

BEER
04-18-2007, 22:33
so mr.eric sir, once this joint goes paid tier and you start making a living at this does that mean we'll see more of you posting around? i kinda like watching your avatars change. lol

Eric
04-18-2007, 22:36
Good grief.

<b><font color="red" size="7">BASIC MEMBERSHIP HERE WILL ALWAYS BE FREE.</FONT></B>

The paid tier will be in addition to the current free basic membership level. Eric

lcarreau
04-18-2007, 22:37
Originally posted by jdeere_man
I think I'm addicted what can I say.

Me too. Eric is my dealer, but so far he has been giving it away for free.

rhikdavis
04-18-2007, 22:38
Why is this stickied?

Eric
04-18-2007, 22:39
so mr.eric sir, once this joint goes paid tier and you start making a living at this does that mean we'll see more of you posting around? i kinda like watching your avatars change. lol

Yeah, I will be around here more when I have some free time. I do enjoy hanging out here. Eric

Eric
04-18-2007, 22:41
Originally posted by rhikdavis
Why is this stickied?

Because I want people to see it. Try to keep up. :tongueout: Eric

rhikdavis
04-18-2007, 22:47

It's late. I'm going to bed on that note.

Ender
04-18-2007, 22:49

one thing i have to say about stickies...just as an aside...

i damn near always overlook them. don't mean to, but i skip down to the "current" threads, and overlook stickies at least 90% of the time. they effectively get LESS attention from me than they would if they weren't stickied.

i'm sure others are bass ackwards of me tho :supergrin:

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 22:57
I'm still mad you didn't save the AOD Drunk "Piano Piano Piano" thread.

And once again for those hard of reading:
<h1>IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY YOU WON'T HAVE TO. IT WILL STILL BE FREE FOR YOU. YOU CAN CHOOSE NOT TO PAY, AND YOU WILL STILL GET TO POST HERE.</h1>

Ok, if you'll notice, not one word was more than one syllable. Ender/Eric, think they'll catch it then?

Ender
04-18-2007, 23:11

Ok, if you'll notice, not one word was more than one syllable. Ender/Eric, think they'll catch it then?

funny, that.

i JUST reiterated the same statement in a copycat/dup thread...

Kentuckian
04-18-2007, 23:17
No.

PeterJasonMN
04-18-2007, 23:21
Originally posted by Ender
funny, that.

i JUST reiterated the same statement in a copycat/dup thread...

You'll notice I bumped it back to top.

Taurus_Dude
04-19-2007, 00:19
Let me cover a couple of points I missed the first time I read your post:

First of all, GT isn't on one low-end box at a budget co-lo facility. The website system is on TWELVE servers and we used more than 1.4TB of bandwidth last month. That is terabytes for those of you that don't habla geek-speak. It costs one hell of a lot more than $200 a month to keep this place afloat and that isn't even factoring in equipment costs, software license costs and wages. This is an expensive operation.

Secondly, <b>and I want to be very clear on this point</b>, the same behavior will be expected of everyone here, whether you are a paid member or not. This site's posting rules have been in place unchanged for almost a decade and it is unlikely they will change in the future. If you do not like the site's rules or how the place is run, keep your money in your pocket. Anyway, I don't think that anyone here ever gets 'chastised like kids', but whatever you call the warnings, it is never necessary when people act like mature, responsible adults. If you want to be able to use vulgar language when the mood strikes you, maybe this isn't the site for you. At any rate, paid membership is not going to give anyone the right to dictate terms to me or to act in a way that violates this site's TOS and you can take that to the bank. Eric

Eric, I was not trying to be condescending with my remarks regarding your servers. I'm a little surprised that its 12 of them, I would have expected more like 2 or 3, and perhaps one set on east and another on west coast, but thats besides the point.

There is no reason why you couldn't make a living on the site. The site I described before does make a lot of money, and the owner is very well off now because of it. I was just trying to help.

No, I will not pay to post here, there are plenty of other gun forums out there. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if you made it totally pay to post, but its obvious your not doing that.

I full support your plan of wanting to make a living off the internet. Tons of people do it.

I think you may want to think things through REALLY well though. If your making money, your moderators are probably going to want a cut too. Right now, your probably losing or maybe breaking even on the server costs. What happens when your making money, but obviously you can't keep up on moderating by yourself. So your going to keep around the mods you have. But...who would want to work for free when your boss is making money off your work? Are you going to pay them too? Its just a thought. I just reread your other post, and you mention "wages" so maybe you already are though. I think glocktalk is a good site, but I don't really see anything special here, that sets it apart from other gunnut sites.

Taurus_Dude
04-19-2007, 00:25
Originally posted by Wog
Besides, you're on your third account here, so it's best not to make an investment that you'll likely lose!

Yeah, no thanks to you, huh wog?

Did you ever stop to think its a little strange the moderator I spoke with via email sided with me, let me register a new name, and I'm back to posting? Maybe its because he agreed you were a jerk, and let me register a new name so that you would quit bothering me. But no, you had to be a crafty little twerp, somehow figure out who I was again (I'm assuming because I posted pictures of the same guns I had before) and start sending me threatening Personal Messages.

But I let it go, and didn't report it.

Let it go wog, its getting REALLY old, you posting in all my threads hinting around about reporting me for god knows what.

Critias
04-19-2007, 00:52
Just lemme know when and where to sign up, Eric. I've learned more on GT than I certainly dreamed I would when I first made an account, and made better friends than I'd planned on -- tier one member, waiting to happen! Were I to write a book about the stuff I've learned thanks to this place, it would certainly cost me more than my donations thus far have, which means I'm getting a bargain (the way I see it).

m2hmghb
04-19-2007, 01:20
I'm very willing to pay a bit every month or year. I enjoy this site and it's atmosphere plus I learn a lot.

Bill1954
04-19-2007, 06:15
I figure if I want to go to another tier I'll pay for it. I know these sites can be very expensive. But what ever happens, the decisions are up to the person running the site. I never really thought about it before. But this is my favorite website. And if Eric charged for the site, so be it. It's certainly been worth the donations I have already sent. And I really liked the on-line raffle. Just wanted to say Thanks to Eric for all that is done on this site.:thumbsup:

Eric
04-19-2007, 09:59
Eric, I was not trying to be condescending with my remarks regarding your servers. I'm a little surprised that its 12 of them, I would have expected more like 2 or 3, and perhaps one set on east and another on west coast, but thats besides the point.

There is no reason why you couldn't make a living on the site. The site I described before does make a lot of money, and the owner is very well off now because of it. I was just trying to help.

No, I will not pay to post here, there are plenty of other gun forums out there. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if you made it totally pay to post, but its obvious your not doing that.

I full support your plan of wanting to make a living off the internet. Tons of people do it.

I think you may want to think things through REALLY well though. If your making money, your moderators are probably going to want a cut too. Right now, your probably losing or maybe breaking even on the server costs. What happens when your making money, but obviously you can't keep up on moderating by yourself. So your going to keep around the mods you have. But...who would want to work for free when your boss is making money off your work? Are you going to pay them too? Its just a thought. I just reread your other post, and you mention "wages" so maybe you already are though. I think glocktalk is a good site, but I don't really see anything special here, that sets it apart from other gunnut sites.

Look, you may not have meant to come off as condescending, but you certainly nailed it. You know very little about this site's problems or operation and if you cannot understand why what you have to say (Actually, more how you chose to say it) is irritating, I can't help you. As I have said seven or eight times now, if you don't want to pay, don't. As I have also said more times than I can recall at this moment, basic membership here will always be free.

You have shared your opinions on my site here at length, so why don't you go spread your sunshine in some other threads and give this one a rest? Eric

lcarreau
04-19-2007, 10:12
Originally posted by m2hmghb
I'm very willing to pay a bit every month or year. I enjoy this site and it's atmosphere plus I learn a lot.

I would prefer an annual fee myself. If Eric wanted to do a monthly thing, I think I would just pay in advance for a lot of months.

-Lonnie

Wog
04-19-2007, 10:30
For the record, this site is worth at least $20 a month for MrsWog and I to participate in. I don't particularly care for adding additional features, as it's a pretty complete experience already. I'm glad you're keeping it free for some folks, as it wouldn't the same without them I'm sure. Besides, I do love picking on Lugoismad, and if you required payment, he'd go away forever! :sad:

Still, we'd gladly pay for the same reason we tip good service at restaurants, excellent haircuts, etc. We want those people to have motivation to stay right where they are and keep providing the service we enjoy. We get a ton out of GlockTalk, much more than any other board either of us have ever participated in. It would be a major bummer if the site someday closed its doors because the admin couldn't juggle it and making his living at the same time.

How about this: We've used online services before that allow you to set up a subscription via paypal. Every month, it silently pulls the cash you specify from the funding source of your choice. Have you looked into that? Screw the extra features for now; if you can arrange a way to regularly donate a small amount, many of us would jump on it.

Wog
04-19-2007, 10:36

Hey, I do what I can. :thumbsup:

You're the one who lied like a dog to cover up your multitude of TOS violations, including multiple accounts. I and some others just spotted your actions and reported them. What became/becomes of you was and is between you and the mods. They must have thought that your entertainment value was worth keeping you around. :thumbsup:

That's the last of THAT discussion in this thread, at least for me. Back to the GT love-fest! :banana:

B. Somm
04-19-2007, 15:07
Originally posted by tantrix
Maybe make paid memberships optional, and only the paying members have access to the uncensored content. Users would have the choice of accessing the boards how they are now or if they want the full-blown version they could access the uncensored language and adult-oriented topics.
Sorry, but I don't want to pay for smutty content & profanity, thanks anyway.) :upeyes:

Also by tantrix
(snip)...That would be fantastic and quite a brilliant setup. Anyone offended chose to be, so no repercussions on your end as the Admin. It's the perfect message board actually. :thumbsup:
That's what a bunch of folks thought when they left GT to start "GlocksUnlocked" because they thought Eric's TOS rules were too "strict" and wanted more freedom to "express themselves"...and we all know how THAT site ended!
(Yep, it imploded on itself and GT is still here & thriving...gee what a surprise!!)

Taurus_Dude said:
If I'm paying to post somewhere, you better believe I'm going to be ticked if I can't type the same way I talk. I'm not saying let people post hard core porn, but if someone is paying, and a "****" or "damn" slips in here or there, they shouldn't be chastised like little kids. This is a gun forum after all, and I'm sure the majority of gun owners and enthusiasts are of age.
And being "of age", they should be mature enough to be able to express themselves w/out being vulgar, rude or using profanity to get their point across!

The majority of folks come here because the site IS moderated and is (usually) family friendly. If I wanted to look at "more racy" pictures (which I don't) and cuss a blue streak, then there are other sites that offer those types of services. :upeyes: Fortunately, GT isn't one of them and I really hope that it stays that way...even with the paid tier!!! (Again, GU anyone?!)

As for the mods being paid? I'd do it for free and consider it an honor to be able to help Eric & the site out...AND I'd STILL pay to be a paid member!

I started in Glockworld's "Glockenspiel", which got ruined by trolls so "Alien Glockster" started a new Glock forum (Dang it! I can't remember the name! "The Ultimate Glock Site" or something like that??). It too was ruined when the trolls & folks who wanted the rules to be loosened up a bit started showing up. Then Eric started Glocktalk and has for the most part kept his original TOS. Needless to say, GT has grown and prospered and is the only gun related forum that I belong too!

So, if you want a site that allows for more "adult" (and I use that term loosely) content, then feel free to run your own site the way that you see fit. In the meantime, I'll stick with GT and have my check book ready for my monthly dues! :thumbsup:

B. :wavey:

USDefender
04-19-2007, 15:25

+1

But I seriously doubt I'd ever pay in the first place.

If one of my boards starts charging, I'll simply move on. I've done it before.

For what it's worth, I think Eric runs a good 'ship' & I'm glad to be able to go to a sight that isn't infused with porno and foul language... There are sometimes I have my nieces in the room & I have a new baby on the way.

Call me a 'prude' but IMO, non-gun porn = a no-go on my computer. But please be advised, if you DO call me a 'prude', that I am a well-armed 'prude'. http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/2ar15smilie.gif

Wog
04-19-2007, 16:08
Originally posted by B. Somm
And being "of age", they should be mature enough to be able to express themselves w/out being vulgar, rude or using profanity to get their point across!

The majority of folks come here because the site IS moderated and is (usually) family friendly. If I wanted to look at "more racy" pictures (which I don't) and cuss a blue streak, then there are other sites that offer those types of services. :upeyes: Fortunately, GT isn't one of them and I really hope that it stays that way...even with the paid tier!!! (Again, GU anyone?!)

As for the mods being paid? I'd do it for free and consider it an honor to be able to help Eric & the site out...AND I'd STILL pay to be a paid member!

I started in Glockworld's "Glockenspiel", which got ruined by trolls so "Alien Glockster" started a new Glock forum (Dang it! I can't remember the name! "The Ultimate Glock Site" or something like that??). It too was ruined when the trolls & folks who wanted the rules to be loosened up a bit started showing up. Then Eric started Glocktalk and has for the most part kept his original TOS. Needless to say, GT has grown and prospered and is the only gun related forum that I belong too!

So, if you want a site that allows for more "adult" (and I use that term loosely) content, then feel free to run your own site the way that you see fit. In the meantime, I'll stick with GT and have my check book ready for my monthly dues! :thumbsup:

Agreed on all points!

(Except being a mod. NO THANKS! I'd cause too much trouble.)

HAWK11K
04-19-2007, 16:42
Originally posted by Ender
one thing i have to say about stickies...just as an aside...

i damn near always overlook them. don't mean to, but i skip down to the "current" threads, and overlook stickies at least 90% of the time. they effectively get LESS attention from me than they would if they weren't stickied.

i'm sure others are bass ackwards of me tho :supergrin:

+1

muscogee
04-19-2007, 20:05
Originally posted by B. Somm
Sorry, but I don't want to pay for smutty content & profanity, thanks anyway.) :upeyes:

Well said!!!

Thanks.

buster55
04-20-2007, 05:00
For Glock Talk absolutely,I have been around here 4 years and mostly read more than post,but it is the cast of characters here that makes it a great place.It is a form of entertainment & a place to kick back and laugh off the troubled world we live in.The crew that runs the site does a great job,I have contributed in the past and would be a dues paying member as soon as Eric sets it up.:thumbsup:

Blitzer
04-20-2007, 05:07
Yes.

The United States isn't a Democracy either. ;)

Peace Warrior
04-20-2007, 08:50
Originally posted by bestseller92
...What do you think?
Tough one, but I'd have to say NO to being required to pay or compelled to pay. This is why I like Glock Talk. The ability and means to give, for the purpose of promoting the site and deferring its operational cost, are supplied without any pressure that I have noticed. The founder(s) and moderators also have ingeniously targeted Forum specific advertising to help offset operational cost.

I also have received first hand information that Eric himself is a generous giver into other people's needs and endeavors; therefore, in the past I have given anonymously, but this year GT has the little contributor pacth thingys for your moniker; so I will give this year under my nom de' plume.

(To Eric: I'll do it just as soon as I get by my current tax crunch! :thumbsup: )

PeterJasonMN
04-20-2007, 09:30
Eric:

Another idea for paid tier (Though if you could establish it early I'd love you long time):

Sometimes you want to send out a PM to several people, but you can only do one at a time. If it could be set that you can send a PM to up to say...5-10 people at a time, that would ROCK.

ROCK I tell you.

Rock you like a hurricane.

I'm not kidding, that'd be super cool.

Critias
04-20-2007, 10:10
Oooh, Mr Cool Guy, bragging that he has 5-10 friends.

*runs off, crying*

PeterJasonMN
04-20-2007, 11:04
Originally posted by Critias

*runs off, crying*

:wedgie:

(I also chose 5-10 to reduce spammers sending out mass msgs)

anyplainjoe
04-20-2007, 11:17
I've supported this site before and will continue to do so aslong as I continue to use its services.

Things I like about GlockTalk and am willing to put some money up to make it all happen:

1. No flame wars
2. Factual info and friendly opinion is conveyed
3. Posts/pics harmful to the hobby are stopped.
4. The knowledge able to be gained here is mind boggling.

In the "real" I'm the sales manager for a company which offers internet advertising services, and know there are more costs to running an outfit like GT other than plugging in a PC. I think it's fair to help financially support a service you use.

In the big picture, as gun lovers, I think we're often too cheap with the companies which make our hobby happen. Equipment must be purchased, and services have to be paid for. Stuff costs money. If we don't support it, who will?

George Soros has billions to use to attack us. So does Sarah Brady. So does Nancy Pelosi. And we're too cheap to pony up a little cash?

Anyone who has been here for more than a month should throw $5 in the pot.

fludy12
04-20-2007, 15:21

Did you ever stop to think its a little strange the moderator I spoke with via email sided with me, let me register a new name, and I'm back to posting? Maybe its because he agreed you were a jerk, and let me register a new name so that you would quit bothering me. But no, you had to be a crafty little twerp, somehow figure out who I was again (I'm assuming because I posted pictures of the same guns I had before) and start sending me threatening Personal Messages.

But I let it go, and didn't report it.

Let it go wog, its getting REALLY old, you posting in all my threads hinting around about reporting me for god knows what.

There IS an ignore feature. Unfortunately, you will have to put up with jerk posts if someone else quotes them. Or, just not read it all... ;)

Wog
04-20-2007, 15:34
Originally posted by fludy12
There IS an ignore feature. Unfortunately, you will have to put up with jerk posts if someone else quotes them. Or, just not read it all... ;)

Darn it, why must you quote people on my ignore list? :rofl:

Edited to add: Lugoismad, I *never* threatened you in any way. If you would like me to post a complete history of my messages to you, I'd be happy to do so. You keep accusing me of these rotten, terrible things, yet you are the one who's had threads locked and accounts banned. Funny how that works...

Wog
04-20-2007, 15:40
Originally posted by Critias

*runs off, crying*

What's this "friend" thing that everyone keeps talking about? Where do I get one?

Gallium
04-20-2007, 15:45
Originally posted by Wog
...Edited to add: Lugoismad...

DAMM.

fludy12
04-20-2007, 15:46
Originally posted by Wog

Edited to add: Lugoismad, I *never* threatened you in any way. If you would like me to post a complete history of my messages to you, I'd be happy to do so. You keep accusing me of these rotten, terrible things, yet you are the one who's had threads locked and accounts banned. Funny how that works...

Um, I'm not Lugoismad...

Gallium
04-20-2007, 15:48
Um, I'm not Lugoismad...

I think he meant Tarus Prude.

fludy12
04-20-2007, 15:55
I think he meant Tarus Prude.

Ah, I misunderstood. I think that bad blood pre-dates me here...

Wog
04-20-2007, 15:55
Um, I'm not Lugoismad...

No, that was meant for Taurus_Dude/Lugoismad/Major_Tom. Sorry for the confusion.

And sorry, mods, for hijacking the thread somewhat. :sorry:

02LimitedX
04-20-2007, 18:13
I'd love to support GT with a paid tier system! Eric, when its ready count on me!

JellyBelly
04-20-2007, 21:28
I'm a paid member at ARFCOM. I don't post in their team forum too often, but it's nice to have the BOTD threads. I'd like to see them allowed at GT under ARFCOM-like rules (no nips or lips).

I intend to pay for membership here. Eric, have you any idea how much it'll cost me?

MB-G26
04-21-2007, 01:56

For those that are coming in late...

Eric
Administrator

= GLOCKTALK BIG CHEEZE

http://www.alanskitchen.com/Ingredients/Images/Swiss_Cheese.jpg

:thumbsup:

Taurus_Dude
04-21-2007, 14:30
Originally posted by Wog

A week or so after I opened my new account, after having the mod close both of my old ones, this shows up in my mailbox.

"Hi, Lugo. Do the mods know that you've created YET ANOTHER user account?"

No, its not directly threatening, but you were basically saying "I'm going to report you"

You had absolutely no reason to stick your nose into business that wasn't yours. And you keep finding ways to bring up my past username for no reason other than to taunt me with "I know who you are!"

Its getting very old. Drop it. You've already said you would once, and you just keep bringing it up over and over.

And you know what, it'd be worth the few bucks a month to me just to stick around here and tick you off, if you don't knock this off. Whatever Eric charges will be worth it, just to see you squirm when your no longer special with your "contributor" emblem next to your name and someone picks on you and the mod sides with them, because hey, we're all paying members now.

Taurus_Dude
04-21-2007, 14:35
And Eric, I'm not sure what your pricing scheme is going to be, but I'm starting a new Co-Op job and will have plenty of pocket change. I realized last night that Glocktalk is one of 4 or so forums I'm constantly bouncing between to read up on cool stuff. I'm either here, Slashdot, Offtopic, or my personal forum. I'm surfing this board atleast 10 hours a week. Thats worth a few bucks to me to get rid of the ads, and what not.

As long as you keep it reasonable, I wouldn't mind tossing a few bucks your way.

Peace Warrior
04-21-2007, 15:02
A compulsory pricing structure may not hurt most of you, but some of the "John Q. Public's" interest would be lost.

When surfing, if you come acorss a "pay site," most will pass it by immediately. I think keeping GT as a non-compulsory priced domain is the best way to go.

Eric, it is a tough call, but think of all the surfers.

BTW- I think maybe Uncle Ted's decision maybe precipitating this thread a little at least. I like Ted's stance on the Cw issues and especially Ar-15's and similar, but I will not become a member there.

Wog
04-21-2007, 17:14
And you know what, it'd be worth the few bucks a month to me just to stick around here and tick you off, if you don't knock this off. Whatever Eric charges will be worth it, just to see you squirm when your no longer special with your "contributor" emblem next to your name and someone picks on you and the mod sides with them, because hey, we're all paying members now.

Hey, look! I brought another contributor into the fold!

(Only, he's going to be disappointed to learn that we don't get any special treatment or powers. Yeah, I know. I was sad too... :sad: )

You're so much fun, man. I hope you never leave. :hugs: :hearts: :rofl:

Wog
04-21-2007, 17:25
Originally posted by Peace Warrior
A compulsory pricing structure may not hurt most of you, but some of the "John Q. Public's" interest would be lost.

When surfing, if you come acorss a "pay site," most will pass it by immediately. I think keeping GT as a non-compulsory priced domain is the best way to go.

Eric, it is a tough call, but think of all the surfers.

BTW- I think maybe Uncle Ted's decision maybe precipitating this thread a little at least. I like Ted's stance on the Cw issues and especially Ar-15's and similar, but I will not become a member there.

Good grief.

<b><font color="red" size="7">BASIC MEMBERSHIP HERE WILL ALWAYS BE FREE.</FONT></B>

The paid tier will be in addition to the current free basic membership level. Eric

PeterJasonMN
04-21-2007, 17:38
And Eric, I'm not sure what your pricing scheme is going to be...

Nice choice of words.

As long as you keep it reasonable, I wouldn't mind tossing a few bucks your way.

Just what is your definition of "Reasonable".

Skintop911
04-21-2007, 19:57
I'd like to see a new-posts feature that was configurable to include only those subforums I was interested in.

I'd like to see moderation that would jump on, lock, or delete nonsense exchanges that are unrelated to the subject, like that above.

I'd like to see more logically organized stickies in the subforums rather than the "read this first" threads that no one apparently reads.

I'd like to see posters directed to the search button, or to improved stickies, when asking the usual questions, rather than seeing yet another repetitive thread run. I'd also like to see moderators lock the thread immediately thereafter to prevent same. Who needs another "Mini-14 or AR-15", "9 vs. 40", "What Departments Carry" or "M&P or XD" thread?

I'd like to see a requirement to complete profiles, moderators enforce it, and someone vet certain credentials.

I'd like to see the (perceived) value of post count decline.

I'd like to see firearms business and industry participate here in the open, rather than through employees in lurk, under their noms de Glocktalk, or via PM. A great many are here.

I'd like to see membership cultivated, rather than simply enrolled.

I'd like to see the members list periodically purged of old or inactive accounts, to accurately reflect current enrollment. Is this a community of 67,000, or 6000?

For these things, I would pay a premium.

Ender
04-21-2007, 20:58
I'd like to see the (perceived) value of post count decline.

good luck with that one, NEWB! :supergrin: :supergrin: :hugs: :hugs:

I'd like to see the members list periodically purged of old or inactive accounts, to accurately reflect current enrollment. Is this a community of 67,000, or 6000?

i do agree with that one...but you'd have to be pretty careful about it also. set a limit on it?

one year of no use? well, then factor in service members who are deployed w/o internet access. this may be their favorite website, etc etc.

also factor in members who are deceased. to me, there will only be one WOOF, and one sinecure, etc etc.

i do agree with you in theory about that one, but i just talked myself out of that argument ;)

Ender
04-21-2007, 21:02
Whatever Eric charges will be worth it, just to see you squirm when your no longer special with your "contributor" emblem next to your name and someone picks on you and the mod sides with them, because hey, we're all paying members now.

funny, that.

i'm a contributor, and just the other day, i not only got a thread locked, i got a pm about it from one of the mods.

now, i supposed with almost 30k posts, i'm bound to get a pm now and then, but did i whine and *****? nope. i apologized, corrected the problem, and moved on.

if you think having a contributor symbol next to your name gets you special treatment, you are a motard :supergrin:

Taurus_Dude
04-21-2007, 21:13
Nice choice of words.

Just what is your definition of "Reasonable".

I'd be happy to pay 5$ a month, if that included a few extras. I'd really like to see a picture gallery feature for members, so I could keep all my gun pictures in one spot.

GlockMan40s&w
04-22-2007, 04:27
At lot of things will change when the paid membership tier launches. One important thing will not: GT is not run by committee. One guy needs to be in charge and for better or worse, that guy is me. As always though, I am interested in hearing people's opinions on the site and its operation. That won't change. I do tend to lend more weight to the thoughts, opinions and suggestions of people who have been here a while. Likewise, people who have helped the site out financially are going to get listened to as well, but no one should think that their money is buying them the right to expect me to do as they say. The money buys the continued existence of the site and it is appreciated. I just don't want anyone to have any false expectations.

<b>Things paid membership <u>WILL NOT</u> buy you:</b>

Any leniency or special consideration when it comes to the behavior expected of people here. A paid membership does not give anyone the right to act any differently than anyone else and no special consideration will be given to anyone who violates the TOS here, regardless of their membership status.
The right to tell me how to run the site. Well actually, people have never been shy about doing that and I don't mind as long as the opinions are expressed politely, but no one should think that buying a paid membership gives them the right to expect me to do as they say.
A paid membership does not buy my advocacy or my support of your political views, your opinions, your company or your side in an argument.

<b>Paid Memberships <u>WILL</u> buy you:</b>

A larger avatar by their name.
A special icon under their name.
Access to many great new features, including photo hosting, video hosting, free your name at glocktalk.com webmail, a new game area and much more. I will announce more details soon.
A larger private message box.
A spell checker.
The ability to submit articles to be posted in a new article system on the site.
Access to post in a new review system that will be openning.
Access to some paid members-only forums that will be opening. I am also considering making a couple of the more controversial forums to paid members-only forums, to cut down the signal-to-noise ratio a bit. A couple of the forums under consideration are the Religious Issues and Political Issues forums. I haven't made any firm decisions on this matter yet.
Access to a new chat system. I am also looking into adding new Instant Messaging system.
There will be a business paid membership option as well as a personal one. In the new systems, businesses will not be allowed to advertise themselves in their signature lines, or in other places on the site, unless they are a paid business member. Business membership will have a number of other perks as well.
Under the new system, we are adding a very slick new classified ads system. This software uses the GT membership database (So only one login and user account to worry about) and it has some really great features. Under the new system, any member will be able to post a small number of classified ads a month for free (Probably 2 or 3 monthly). If someone wants to post more ads than that a month, they will need to step up to a paid membership. There will also be the advantage of having a paid member icon as a buyer or seller in the classified ads system. That means that others can buy or sell with you with more confidence because you will be known to the system.
I am considering putting a percentage of GT's earnings into a special fund. Others will be able to donate directly to this fund as well. Paid members will have a vote in this system and will elect a committee that will come up with worthy causes to which to donate this money. This committee will put any ideas to a vote and paid members will be allowed to vote on the matter. The money could be donated to a charity or cause, or to a person or persons, members on GT or not, who have suffered a hardship and need help.

I have given this idea thought for a long time and I have tons of great ideas about how to improve the site and make this new system a true asset to everyone involved.

The delay in launching this system, or in taking other proactive measures to provide for the site's financial wellbeing is a simple one with no simple solution: The site requires enough of my time to run it that it is for all practical purposes a full time job. Unfortunately, it doesn't make enough money to pay its bills AND pay me a living wage and it does not leave me enough time to work a conventional full-time job. In order to make ends meet, I take contract work that I can fit into my schedule. As a result, my schedule is so hectic and unpredictable that it is difficult to devote the time necessary to get the paid membership tier, and other ideas, off the ground.

If I can get this place to a point that it is taking care of itself AND me financially, I can make some truly great things happen here. I have a lot of ideas I would like to turn into a reality, like a political action advocacy system, a political humor showcase and series of products, a comprehensive how-to and multimedia informational system for all type of firearms and much, much more. We could do some truly incredible things here, if I can clear this next hurtle.

Folks, I built this place and I've been running it almost a decade. I've gotten pretty good at it and I've got a wealth of experience from which to make predictions about how new innovations and ideas will be received here. I know that there are a percentage of people that will reject change in any form and others that will fight any attempt to make money for the site. Most people will come around and others will not. We will lose members when these changes happen, but the new features and functions will entice many new members to join. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and things will go on. I will regret losing any members, but I must confess that I don't have much patience for anyone who doesn't agree in principle with my decision to try to make this place pay for itself and pay me for my efforts. People that feel this way will come or stay as they see fit, but I am not going to spend a lot of time worrying about how they feel about the changes to come. This is something that needs to happen. All I ask is for everyone to keep an open mind and give the new system a chance. I am good at what I do and I believe the new system will be worth any trouble or inconvenience any of us has to endure to get it off the ground. Eric

Eric,

This site has cause me to loose sleep, spend money on ammo, and buying guns (glocks) :tongueout:

But I can't wait for the new system to get up and running. You're the man...:thumbsup:

Just to let you know, you are doing one hell of a job.

BBruce
04-22-2007, 14:08
I've been hard headedly negative because I don't fully understand what's being offered. Up to now, I've reacted to a paid membership in a reactionary manner and that's simply not fair, so in the interest of fairness and understanding, I'm working on wanting to be better informed about it.

As you can tell from my posts I don't have an avatar.

That said, I'm guessing they provide a positive I've overlooked.

As the No. 1 item listed for a paid membership, I'm thinking my lack of knowledge as to what they can do for one is sorely misunderstood by me, so: Can anyone explain what they're all about?

Also, a special icon under one's name does what?

And, last, a larger private message box - what class or category of poster uses this feature? Traders? Buyers? Clubs of some form or another?

Obviously my technical/general knowledge of the ins and outs of an internet bulletin board is less than adequate. Who's fault is that? Mine.

I hope with gathering more information, I'll be better armed with what's worthy of praise (and perhaps also become a paid member) and be less inclined to be scornful of that I know not enough of.

Thanks

fludy12
04-22-2007, 14:45
Eric,

Can you explain what WILL change from the current experience for those who choose not to pay? Will we still be able to read everything and post like we can today? Thanks...

Eric
04-22-2007, 14:50
I've been hard headedly negative because I don't fully understand what's being offered. Up to now, I've reacted to a paid membership in a reactionary manner and that's simply not fair, so in the interest of fairness and understanding, I'm working on wanting to be better informed about it.

As you can tell from my posts I don't have an avatar.

That said, I'm guessing they provide a positive I've overlooked.

As the No. 1 item listed for a paid membership, I'm thinking my lack of knowledge as to what they can do for one is sorely misunderstood by me, so: Can anyone explain what they're all about?

Also, a special icon under one's name does what?

And, last, a larger private message box - what class or category of poster uses this feature? Traders? Buyers? Clubs of some form or another?

Obviously my technical/general knowledge of the ins and outs of an internet bulletin board is less than adequate. Who's fault is that? Mine.

I hope with gathering more information, I'll be better armed with what's worthy of praise (and perhaps also become a paid member) and be less inclined to be scornful of that I know not enough of.

Thanks

Look, you are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. You aren't buying a used car. What this comes down to is whether or not you want to help support the site. It costs real money to keep the place going and I need help. The features I am offering are things that I can think to do to help compensate people for their support of the site. These features are not going to set the world on fire. They won't make you healthier or wealthier and they probably won't improve your posture. They will probably be fun and useful, but they are not going to change your life.

I've tried to explain the attraction of the bells and whistles and camaraderie of a message board website to people who weren't into them before and they just didn't get it. The best advice I can give to you is to reserve judgment and wait & see what develops. Spend more time getting to know our community and when the paid tier launches, look it over. If it looks like something you want to play around with then, have at it.

Free is good. I like free. I like it a lot. The fact is though, nothing is really free. Someone pays for everything. In the case of this site, I am the guy holding the back, with help from my sponsors and the site's many supporters. I think the features and functions I am building into the new system will be entertaining and useful and I hope it will help to entice more people to support the site. With more support, I can do more to improve the site and benefit everyone. That is the goal, not the sale of photo hosting or avatars or icons. I hope this helps to bring my efforts more into perspective. Eric

Eric
04-22-2007, 14:56
Eric,

Can you explain what WILL change from the current experience for those who choose not to pay? Will we still be able to read everything and post like we can today? Thanks...

Things won't change much. Businesses that choose not to become paid members will no longer be able to post about themselves in their sig lines. That is the only thing that is getting taken away from anyone. On the plus side, anyone will be able to view the pictures, videos, articles and reviews that get posted. There will be a ton of new content available to all then there is now. Nothing else will change. Eric

anyplainjoe
04-22-2007, 16:25
I had the same problem of people picking apart the benefits of membership when another group i am involved with raised the dues to $12. Some people made it out to be the end of the world. Ironically, it was alot of people who made tons of cash in really secure jobs.

In the end it boils down to, do you get a benefit from participating in this forum, and if so, would you step up and help pay the bills.

If you can't see any value in this forum then why are you here?

But if you are like me and really enjoy this forum, help cover the costs! But if you want the services but don't want to carry your own weight, other people will carry you. Kinda like welfare.

Kinda reminds me of people who complain about guns restrictions at the gun shop but never vote, or write letters, or donate to organizations protecting to our cause.

Sidhe
04-22-2007, 21:36
Be sure to send out a mass email when you DO launch the paid tier membership, otherwise I'll probably miss the announcement (I tend to not 'see' the stickies either for some reason, just continually overlook them....).

That said, I'm on board. I've contributed before and was just thinking that I should pop over more dinero when I saw this thread.

Kat

Razoreye
04-23-2007, 09:15
And, last, a larger private message box - what class or category of poster uses this feature? Traders? Buyers? Clubs of some form or another? My PM box has been constantly full since I joined. Only once have I deleted almost all the PMs and it is full again. I reallllly want a larger PM box or an archive to store messages in. Every time I get a PM now, I delete it right after I read it. Kinda sucks.

<-- avgjoe... (!!!) not a trader/buyer/club member.

Eric
04-23-2007, 09:25
My PM box has been constantly full since I joined. Only once have I deleted almost all the PMs and it is full again. I reallllly want a larger PM box or an archive to store messages in. Every time I get a PM now, I delete it right after I read it. Kinda sucks.

Make sure you delete the messages in the 'Sent' folder too. They count towards the quota. Eric

lcarreau
04-23-2007, 09:26
My PM box has been constantly full since I joined. Only once have I deleted almost all the PMs and it is full again. I reallllly want a larger PM box or an archive to store messages in. Every time I get a PM now, I delete it right after I read it. Kinda sucks.

I would pay for membership without a larger PM box, but it would be a nice to have. I keep getting my PM box full too.

Razoreye
04-23-2007, 10:06
Make sure you delete the messages in the 'Sent' folder too. They count towards the quota. Eric I clean that out regularly as well! Still at 200. Guess I'm popular? Maybe just a pain in the ass. :supergrin:

I usually deselect the "add to send folder" option when I send PMs as well.

Wog
04-23-2007, 10:07
Maybe just a pain in the ass.

+1!

:tongueout:

Perry F.
04-23-2007, 10:15

I don't agree with you on" just to read other peoples opinions".

When I first started posting here I found the information here and help from forum members very valuable.

Razoreye
04-23-2007, 10:38
Originally posted by Wog
+1!

:tongueout: :wavey: :hugs:

bukn77
04-23-2007, 20:32
This thread has made me a little more open minded than I was in the beginning of it. Im fairly new to all this stuff and sometimes when you're just enjoying all the info and fun threads you forget about the work it takes to have a site like this. I do enjoy this site and this is the only one I belong to. I have gotten some good advice on here and hopefully will get alot more in the future. Thanks everyone.

m1garande
04-25-2007, 11:12
Having donations is a prefect way to keep the site going. I do see the costs getting a little crazy with so many people on the server....

AdamsvillE
04-27-2007, 21:02
pay to post on a message board :rofl: hell no

Daps
05-01-2007, 13:50
Can we get some type of guess on membership cost? I need to start saving my pennies :)

lcarreau
05-01-2007, 15:16
Originally posted by Daps
Can we get some type of guess on membership cost? I need to start saving my pennies :)

My guess is that a lot of thought needs to go into that.

Gareth68
05-01-2007, 17:31
I would never join a pay to post board. That said, once I find a board that I am comfortable with and consider it to have a decent mix of technical information, debate, and casual BS...I always contribute. You have to give back to the people who make this possible.

Daps
05-01-2007, 21:22
Oh I thought it was close to a decsion as long as it isnt too high I would probably do it. Get paid this friday think I'll contribute a few bucks to the site.

pangris
05-05-2007, 21:46
first thousand posts free, $.01 per post therafter.

$10/thousand posts - cheap.

pangris
05-05-2007, 21:48
Originally posted by AdamsvillE
pay to post on a message board :rofl: hell no

If you spend time here - is not time far more valuable than money?

If being somewhere is worth your time...

fludy12
05-06-2007, 10:31
Originally posted by pangris
If you spend time here - is not time far more valuable than money?

If being somewhere is worth your time...

But, remember...

Many people don't want to be "charged" to spend their invaluable time. They'll go elsewhere.

That being said, I'm not against Eric wanting to charge us.

But I think he understands my "concept". Donations/Sponsors are what keeps GT alive.

Someday, I'll get off my butt and give Eric some money because so many of us DO like GT.

pangris
05-06-2007, 13:07
No doubt. Eventually, I'm willing to bet most worthwhile forums will go to a tiered membership/access function.

fludy12
05-06-2007, 13:23
No doubt. Eventually, I'm willing to bet most worthwhile forums will go to a tiered membership/access function.

I hear ya, but I'm also willing to bet most of them will die off due to lack of traffic.

Those forums would retain the most "hardcore" members, but if general discussion isn't allowed, new members will become few and far between.

anyplainjoe
05-06-2007, 13:40
But, remember...

Many people don't want to be "charged" to spend their invaluable time. They'll go elsewhere.

That being said, I'm not against Eric wanting to charge us.

But I think he understands my "concept". Donations/Sponsors are what keeps GT alive.

Someday, I'll get off my butt and give Eric some money because so many of us DO like GT.

I am in another club which started to charge dues. Some people complianed to high heaven about it and left. But the ones left, plus the new people, are really involved and their participation adds value. We have alot less pickering than before, and the troublemakers left when they had to become vested in the organization.

People who demand something for nothing, and threaten to go else where vs paying for what they use are generally better left to freely go somewhere else.

fludy12
05-06-2007, 13:45
[i]People who demand something for nothing, and threaten to go else where vs paying for what they use are generally better left to freely go somewhere else. [/B]

Very true, and if/when Eric requires "us" to pay, I'll do it because GT is a great "place" to be. :thumbsup:

pangris
05-06-2007, 13:55
I hear ya, but I'm also willing to bet most of them will die off due to lack of traffic.

Those forums would retain the most "hardcore" members, but if general discussion isn't allowed, new members will become few and far between.

ar15.com works under that basis and is the biggest around.

PeterJasonMN
05-06-2007, 14:08
*doubletap*

PeterJasonMN
05-06-2007, 14:11
One more time for the hard of reading:

Nowhere would you HAVE to pay to use GT.

NO WHERE.

Nowhere.

If you CHOSE to join the paid tier system it would be your CHOICE and you would get ADDED features.

Meaning the things we have now as FREE members would be the SAME.

So to rehash YET again:
-If you don't want to pay, NOTHING will change.
-NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-If you CHOOSE to pay, you will get EXTRA content.
-ONLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO PAY.
-No pay = Same GT as we have right now.

****, it's not rocket science here folks. No new members are going to be offended about paying because they're not going to lose out on anything if they don't. The GT they experience will be the same GT as we have.

Is that FINALLY sinking in?????

BEER
05-06-2007, 14:22
One more time for the hard of reading:

Nowhere would you HAVE to pay to use GT.

NO WHERE.

Nowhere.

If you CHOSE to join the paid tier system it would be your CHOICE and you would get ADDED features.

Meaning the things we have now as FREE members would be the SAME.

So to rehash YET again:
-If you don't want to pay, NOTHING will change.
-NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-If you CHOOSE to pay, you will get EXTRA content.
-ONLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO PAY.
-No pay = Same GT as we have right now.

****, it's not rocket science here folks. No new members are going to be offended about paying because they're not going to lose out on anything if they don't. The GT they experience will be the same GT as we have.

ok, wipe out everything else in this thread except the quoted post and then make it a sticky, pleeeeease?!

fludy12
05-06-2007, 14:33

How about not cussing and typing in a word that gets "asterisked out" in a rant you're "trying" to preach? Even I know that violates the TOS, so I've been "told".

Do you actually hold the "purse strings" for GT?
:upeyes:

PeterJasonMN
05-06-2007, 14:50
How about not cussing and typing in a word that gets "asterisked out" in a rant you're "trying" to preach? Even I know that violates the TOS, so I've been "told".

Actually I type the asterisks.

And no I don't hold the purse strings but I can obviously read when Eric says that non-paying members will have the exact same content as before and that paid tier members will receive extra content.

fludy12
05-06-2007, 15:08
Actually I type the asterisks.

Yup, but we all know what you MEANT and that violates the TOS.

PeterJasonMN
05-06-2007, 15:11

:violin:

voodoomanx
05-06-2007, 15:13

Engaging in a flame war is also against the TOS (and is particularly rude in a sticky).

edit: nice smilie :laughabove: haven't seen that one before.

PeterJasonMN
05-06-2007, 15:14
Originally posted by voodoomanx
Engaging in a flame war is also against the TOS (and is particularly rude in a sticky).

Some people just get testy when they get owned.

voodoomanx
05-06-2007, 15:17
Some people just get testy when they get owned.

I guess so...especially when over the course of this 8 page thread (sadly I've read all the posts), over and over Eric and others have said people would only pay for EXTRA services. In fact I got my sig line from this thread.

I guess some people just read the subject line then interject their .02 which I don't get really...esp when THEY ARE WRONG.

:wavey:

PeterJasonMN
05-06-2007, 15:20
I guess so...especially when over the course of this 8 page thread (sadly I've read all the posts), over and over Eric and others have said people would only pay for EXTRA services. In fact I got my sig line from this thread.

I guess some people just read the subject line then interject their .02 which I don't get really...esp when THEY ARE WRONG.

Mmhmm.

That there "Reading Comprehension" thing gets in the way.:hugs:

fludy12
05-06-2007, 15:23

And some of us have never done that. No disparaging remarks about anyone directly from me. :wavey:

JellyBelly
05-06-2007, 16:27

Mr "January 2007" preaches to one of the most senior members? :rofl:

fludy12
05-06-2007, 17:00
Originally posted by JellyBelly
Mr "January 2007" preaches to one of the most senior members? :rofl:

JellyBelly
05-06-2007, 18:41

Back at'cha there, bud.:thumbsup:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/Canonista/hre.gif

Eric
05-06-2007, 19:09

No, I hold the purse strings and I will deal with any violations of the TOS here. For the record, using deliberate misspellings or special characters to bypass the bad word filter is against the TOS, but simply writing a bad word that subsequently gets zapped is not. That is what the bad word filter is there for.

Guys, please do not drag this thread into an argument. Eric

JellyBelly
05-06-2007, 19:23
No, I hold the purse strings...

Heh heh heh, Eric has a purse.... :tongueout:

Sidhe
05-06-2007, 19:30

Someone had to say it. I wasn't brave enough. :supergrin:

pangris
05-06-2007, 19:37

Any purse with a 1911 in it is an acceptable man purse :)

JellyBelly
05-06-2007, 20:32
Any purse with a 1911 in it is an acceptable man purse :)

Given the name if his site shouldn't it be a Glock?

Eric
05-06-2007, 21:08
Given the name if his site shouldn't it be a Glock?

I don't carry a Glock. I carry a Kimber. Eric

pangris
05-06-2007, 21:15

The ironies of life...

fludy12
05-07-2007, 06:31

Which model of Kimber?

Eric
05-07-2007, 11:41
Which model of Kimber?

a 5" Kimber CDP Custom. Eric

pangris
05-07-2007, 12:20

I try to carry a full size steel 1911 when possible, but that 47+oz of steel gets old compared to the 18 oz of my J frame...

But back onto topic...

Log onto paypal and contribute, you slackers!

PeterJasonMN
05-07-2007, 13:02

Was that the one that almost suffered a crappy fate?

Eric
05-07-2007, 13:08
I try to carry a full size steel 1911 when possible, but that 47+oz of steel gets old compared to the 18 oz of my J frame...

But back onto topic...

The 5" Kimber CDP weighs 31oz. It weighs an ounce-and-a-half less loaded with 9 rounds of 230gr JHP's than a standard 1911 weighs empty. A 1911 typically weighs around 39oz. I don't even notice the weight.

It has been my experience that when the weight of a firearm does cause problems for someone, a less than ideal holster, pants or belt is at the root of the problem. With pants that fit with the pistol IWB, a good comfortable holster that supports and carries the pistol properly and a belt stiff enough to bear the weight and keep the weapon tucked in against you and stable, a person can carry a pretty big weapon comfortably.

I carry in a Kramer horsehide IWB holster, I wear pants about a size too large to accommodate the pistol and I use a 1 1/2 inch fairly stiff leather belt. The pistol rides beautifully and it remains hidden under a t-shirt. It generally surprises people a great deal to find I am carrying, when the subject comes up. Eric

Daps
05-07-2007, 13:25
But back onto topic...

I did contribute Friday and I'm a broke man but when I logged in and looked at my recent purchases it shows I haven't purchased anything and I don't see any contributor icon by my name, I did get a reciept from paypal that says I paid oh well I did try :).. slackers :supergrin:

anyplainjoe
05-07-2007, 13:52
I did contribute Friday and I'm a broke man but when I logged in and looked at my recent purchases it shows I haven't purchased anything and I don't see any contributor icon by my name, I did get a reciept from paypal that says I paid oh well I did try :).. slackers :supergrin:
Sometimes you have to mention it to the mod.

Daps
05-07-2007, 13:56
ohhhh well I guess we see who the real slackers are :supergrin:
j/k
So do I get my purty contributor icon...
Figure some mod would see it here in this thread *cough* pangris :)

Eric
05-07-2007, 14:05
j/k

Ummm, you do have a contributor icon. Do you need to make it larger, or brighter, or something?:supergrin: Eric

Just kidding. I just added it. I am a bit behind in adding people's contributor icons. I am going to get caught up this week. Eric

Daps
05-07-2007, 14:08
Hahah :laughabove:
When ever I have some free dollars I will be more than happy to support this site. This place is like crack...checking every so often for new post.

Looking forward to the new tiers..Everytime I see you're avatar why do I think of CP3O and star wars when I know thats not what it is, you avatar goes with your sig

JellyBelly
05-07-2007, 14:49

The money is set aside and I'm just waiting for Eric to let me subscribe.:thumbsup:

pangris
05-07-2007, 15:25
The 5" Kimber CDP weighs 31oz. It weighs an ounce-and-a-half less loaded with 9 rounds of 230gr JHP's than a standard 1911 weighs empty. A 1911 typically weighs around 39oz. I don't even notice the weight.

It has been my experience that when the weight of a firearm does cause problems for someone, a less than ideal holster, pants or belt is at the root of the problem. With pants that fit with the pistol IWB, a good comfortable holster that supports and carries the pistol properly and a belt stiff enough to bear the weight and keep the weapon tucked in against you and stable, a person can carry a pretty big weapon comfortably.

I carry in a Kramer horsehide IWB holster, I wear pants about a size too large to accommodate the pistol and I use a 1 1/2 inch fairly stiff leather belt. The pistol rides beautifully and it remains hidden under a t-shirt. It generally surprises people a great deal to find I am carrying, when the subject comes up. Eric

Forgot the CDP was an aluminum frame gun...

I carry in Sparks VersaMaxII's, IWB. The holsters are great - my waistline is the problem. If I had a little less in the love handle area, I'd be fine - as it stands, 1911s are a little "pokey" for me, but a S&W 681 actually works amazingly well.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1560122/2983580/227877329.jpg

Building a couple Ti Commanders right now... realy looking forward to carrying them. I think they will be the perfect balance of light enough to carry, but heavy/durable enough to shoot the hell out of...

Paul

Back to our task at hand. Send Eric money.

pangris
05-07-2007, 15:28
j/k

Man, if I could put icons up, all the mods would have old style sheriffs badges :tongueout: And whenever we posted, old style spaghetti western music would play...

Gallium
05-07-2007, 16:23
Man, if I could put icons up, all the mods would have old style sheriffs badges :tongueout: And whenever we posted, old style spaghetti western music would play...

Hi Twin guy :)

I don't normally pay attention to the stuff beyond posts, but I get condolences :supergrin: are in order for your moderatorship. When did this happen, and does this mean you're not gonna help me paper Ox's house??????

'Drew

pangris
05-07-2007, 16:35
Hi Twin guy :)

I don't normally pay attention to the stuff beyond posts, but I get condolences :supergrin: are in order for your moderatorship. When did this happen, and does this mean you're not gonna help me paper Ox's house??????

'Drew

Happened last week... I am laid up right now which means I have time to really dig around - but am amazed at how much people screw up :shocked:

Honestly, after years of thinking I'd like to help, I had no idea how much work it would actually be - the mods do a FANTASTIC job.

Regarding Ox's house, my new position means I will BUY the paper ;)

Daps
05-07-2007, 19:11
I'll just call you Clint Eastwood :)

linh811
05-07-2007, 20:30

Nothing more boring than a small, insular forum where all you'll ever see or read are the same opinions from the same handful of people. exactly. if glocktalk ever goes to fees, someone will start a glocktalkII, 99% of the members of glocktalk will leave and join the new free forum...

Daps
05-07-2007, 20:35
Its already been stated that GT will still be free, just that those who pay with have access to more benefits.

I visit a golf forum and I have to say I think it's one of the biggest on the net and they have a paid tier. you dont have to join and you still get to post but if you pay you are automaticlly entered into free drawings for some great prizes and you also have other benefits...

pangris
05-07-2007, 20:41
I'll just call you Clint Eastwood :)

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1560122/2983580/211883306.jpg

I am equipped...

Originally posted by linh811
exactly. if glocktalk ever goes to fees, someone will start a glocktalkII, 99% of the members of glocktalk will leave and join the new free forum...

Nope.

1. Someone that didn't like the way GT was run started a competing forum, Glocksunlocked, that burned like powder - fast, bright... then it was gone. Running a site like this takes tons of time, lots of hardware, and cash. You can't run a comperable site without coughing up, oh, 50-100K? Then you need member count to attract advertisers, etc.

2. 99% won't leave - more than 1% of people who post are contributors.

3. People don't listen to what Eric is saying - the tiered membership will ADD services to paying members, not exclude current members from current content.

There is a 4,5,6, all the way to 100 as to reasons this site can generate plenty of revenue, BUT Eric has always wanted to keep it completely free.

linh811
05-07-2007, 20:46
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1560122/2983580/211883306.jpg

I am equipped...

Nope.

1. Someone that didn't like the way GT was run started a competing forum, Glocksunlocked, that burned like powder - fast, bright... then it was gone. Running a site like this takes tons of time, lots of hardware, and cash. You can't run a comperable site without coughing up, oh, 50-100K? Then you need member count to attract advertisers, etc.

2. 99% won't leave - more than 1% of people who post are contributors.

3. People don't listen to what Eric is saying - the tiered membership will ADD services to paying members, not exclude current members from current content.

There is a 4,5,6, all the way to 100 as to reasons this site can generate plenty of revenue, BUT Eric has always wanted to keep it completely free.
i love this site and the resources it provides, but you HAVE to keep it free. If fees were a membership REQUIREMENT for ALL current and new members, I wonder what the this site would be like a month from now?

Daps
05-07-2007, 21:18
but thats the thing the site will still be free, if you pay you get added benefits to what you already have. I remember the site mention that burned like powder and i visited there a few times but its hard IMO to try to start another site and then use a similar name and survive

Sidhe
05-07-2007, 21:43
Oh dear god people,

What are you NOT getting?

The site will remain as it is right now. Look around you. Poke around the forums. What you see NOW is what it will STILL be when Eric starts to offer "Paid Tiers". NOTHING will change as far as what you see now for the FREE membership (such as you're enjoying now....).

What WILL change is that those who decide they want to support Eric's endeavor by PAYING for the PAID tier will get other goodies (such as larger PM boxes, larger avatars, 'members only' forums: such as ARF has I assume?) and whatever other goodies Eric listed earlier (I'm not going to go look for the list again).

So....basically, what you see now is what you'll get in the future should you choose to NOT pay. It's a choice folks, no one is holding the proverbial gun to your head and demanding your money.

Pretty sad that my 14 year old daughter gets it (and she's as blonde as blonde can be...) and yet supposed adults on this forum can't grasp the concept.

Free. It'll remain free should you choose to remain a non-paying member of this board. Get it? Should you choose to pay for the "Paid Tier", you'll be supporting Eric's forum and getting some goodies in return for your support.

Eric, as soon as you figure out what the paid tier is going to be, I'll be on board. I've learned quite a bit here, I enjoy my time here (yep, I'm addicted...), and I KNOW this site isn't cheap to run.

Kat

pangris
05-07-2007, 21:52
Originally posted by Sidhepro
Oh dear god people,

What are you NOT getting?

Pretty sad that my 14 year old daughter gets it (and she's as blonde as blonde can be...)

Kat

Keep breeding! We need more smarts!

Bottom line, when the paid tier roles out, anyone who stops coming because they refuse to pay but can remain and get the same thing for free...

Eric
05-07-2007, 21:58
Originally posted by linh811
i love this site and the resources it provides, but you HAVE to keep it free. If fees were a membership REQUIREMENT for ALL current and new members, I wonder what the this site would be like a month from now?

Good grief. As I have said a couple of times in this thread already, would it cost you anything to read what I posted here on this subject? As I have said at least a dozen times now, <b><font color="red" size="+2">BASIC MEMBERSHIP WILL ALWAYS BE FREE.</font> The paid tier members will have access to new features that will be added when the new system launches.</b>

Please folks, trouble yourself to read before you post. Eric

pangris
05-07-2007, 22:18
paradox

par·a·dox

–noun 1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Example -

People that can't read occasionally post on Glocktalk.

:outtahere:

Razoreye
05-07-2007, 22:30
paradox

par·a·dox

–noun 1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Example -

People that can't read occasionally post on Glocktalk.

:outtahere:
"Wait. A paradox? You mean one of those things that can destroy the universe?"

Gallium
05-07-2007, 22:33
I'm personally disappointed that GlockTalk is moving to a system where people have to read the threads.

It was a much cooler place back when we could simply look at a topic title and leap to your own conclusions.

Sucks that now you have to fill out a form to get payment when you read the threads, instead of how it USED TO be, where the funds were wired directly to your paypal account...

'Drew

xxiv
05-08-2007, 00:32
Without having read the majority of replies here, I can honestly say no I do not forsee myself paying to post on an internet forum.

There will always be places I enjoy going on the net that are free and just as entertaining/informative if not more so. It would have to be one hell of a site to make me pay to post.

pangris
05-08-2007, 00:50
Originally posted by xxiv
Without having read the majority of replies here, I can honestly say no I do not forsee myself paying to post on an internet forum.

There will always be places I enjoy going on the net that are free and just as entertaining/informative if not more so. It would have to be one hell of a site to make me pay to post.

Just read the ones on this page, particularly the ones the owner wrote in bold bright red :)

And, welcome to GT, the fun and free hub of all things firearm related, and the OAF, which is where we keep all the weirdness of the universe contained in one forum.