Well I graduated bootcamp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well I graduated bootcamp

TexasGlock23
04-15-2007, 18:24
as of Friday the 13 I am a Sailor finally!

SIGSAREBETTER
04-15-2007, 20:42
Nicely done brotha!:thumbsup:

skyboss_4evr
04-15-2007, 21:12
Congratulations, Shipmate! :thumbsup:

Fred Hansen
04-16-2007, 00:12
:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

TexasGlock23
04-16-2007, 16:46
I am still in the "indoc" phase of "A" school right now...

ABU
04-16-2007, 16:54
Congratulations!
Former BU3 in the USNR.

Fred Hansen
04-16-2007, 16:55
Which school?

DHansen
04-17-2007, 20:42
Great job!

"A" school isn't so tough - keep your nose clean, be where you need to be, when you need to be there, do what what your superiors ask of you (in this case, learn everything you can about your rate).

You'll find succeeding in the Navy to be pretty easy with the above tactic.

Good luck!

TexasGlock23
04-21-2007, 02:17
Sorry for the delay, I just got the internet and laptop running! I am going to BECC for EN! Hope to be an EN2 when I seperate...unless I end up staying

ajstrider
04-22-2007, 10:24
Congratulations, over four years ago since I graduated from Great Lakes. ET2 (SS) here.

spober
04-30-2007, 19:41
memorys,memorys shmemorys.AMS3 2-76-2-80.BOOT CAMP San Diago,A school Memphis Tenn.,NAS Norfolk.USS Inchon LPH 12.MAN THAT WAS SEVERAL LIFE TIMES AGO.:rofl:

spober
04-30-2007, 19:46
shmemorys..:rofl:

standerson
05-01-2007, 00:15
I've been retired from Uncle Sam's Canoe Club for about 10 years. If you stay 4 or 20 years, keep you nose clean and you'll do fine.

Congrats and good luck.

TexasGlock23
05-06-2007, 15:09
thanks!

Navy87Guy
05-15-2007, 06:09
Congrats! I've had the chance to witness a couple of battle stations and capping ceremonites, along with Boot Camp graduations, and they are impressive events. You and your family should be very proud!

Follow the advice you've been given - keep your nose clean! The biggest problem I saw as a ship's CO was young Sailors who went to A school and "forgot" everything they learned in bootcamp. The more responsible guys didn't have a problem, but as soon as they crossed over the tracks from RTC, some guys "went native" with the reduced supervision. You'll be going to an operational unit soon enough - so enjoy a little "down time"...but keep up the discipline and military bearing that got you through RTC successfully.

EN is a great rate (I spent 4 years as a Chief Engineer). There are some great training/education opportunities, whether you stay for 4 or 20. Hydraulics, small boat engines, AC&R -- good (and important!) stuff. I never had enough enginemen!

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Be sure to let everyone know where your first duty station will be!

Jim

goldshellback
08-06-2007, 04:39
Are you a comms, nav, or nuc? Sub RM here.

quaviet
08-07-2007, 04:38
By far, the worst experience I had in the US Navy was in boot camp. If you can survive that test then it will be a walk in the park. I would rather serve another six months participating in the spring offensive in 1972 than go through boot camp again. At the least we would get movies rejected by the aircraft carriers, we were only sent the B movies, then they would point and laugh and said that we were not a real ship. I won't get any deeper what happened next. We were training our guns toward the east, the opposite direction and toward the carrier. We let the MIG attack the carrier because it was hard for a regular sailor to win a medal, the carrier was helpless and when the MIG atacked from the east part of their wing was shot off and the F-4 wanted to finish it off. The Captain said that the MIG was motality wounded and would attack the F-4 if it persued. The F-4 turned because the Captian meant business and I believe he would have done it since I was on the spot because my seat belt was not fastened. Due to this miscarrage of justice, we lost respect of the aircraft carriers.

I'm just kidding about losing respect of the aircraft carriers. Without them we would have been stuck on the beach. Wrong analogy, two DDGs tried to pull an aircraft carrier off the beach and failed. Then we had to wait for the tide to come in, I think it was a BM. Same thing happened to us a little bit later. The ship never had a vibration before we got stuck on the sand bar and bent a shaft.

spober
08-07-2007, 18:14
WOW I GRADUATED back in may of 1976 in San Diego.32 YEARS AGO O MY now i really feel old.Man 12 1/2 years to go till i can retire from the work world and hopfully really enjoy life.but those memories from the 4 yrs. i spent in the navy were some of the best.at the time i didnt think so.
its a good way to start you like.build from 4 years in the service and then go to college.unless you stay in and let them put you threw college.o so many oportunities!!

SAWMAN
08-09-2007, 05:39
Had a crusty ol' Master Chief that I worked for at my first duty station tell me,"hell son,you gotta stay for 20 just to see if you like it or not".

I stayed for 22+.

rwdflynavy
08-11-2007, 05:25
Congrats on finishing boot camp! I had the opportunity to observe Battle Stations, the capping ceremony and graduation just a few months ago. You have good reason to be proud of your accomplishment.

As Navy87guy said, you have to work to keep the discipline instilled at bootcamp. Lots of guys get in trouble because their company officer isn't there anymore kicking their butt.

Keep your nose clean and make PT a part of your lifestyle. When you make it to your first ship, grab every qualification you can as quick as you can, that and your work ethic will drive advancement.

Good luck!

Ship A'Hoy
10-16-2007, 14:02
Originally posted by ajstrider
Congratulations, over four years ago since I graduated from Great Lakes. ET2 (SS) here.

Congrats, I taught ET "A" school from 1980 - 1984.
Taught SPS-10 and SPA-25. Wish I was still in!
ET1 Retired (medical)

hceptj
10-28-2007, 11:29
congrats to ya...former bt3 from '86 to '90...coldest i've ever been was bootcamp at great lakes in january/february...:)

md2lgyk
10-28-2007, 14:42
Congratulations. I graduated from NTC San Diego in 1967. Spent 8 years in the Navy (ET1(SS) nuc). Ended up retiring with 24 years from the Air National Guard.

standerson
10-28-2007, 23:56
Congrats swabby. Now, go to the Goat Locker and get me a cup of coffee. :)

I've been retired from Uncle Sams Canoe Club for about 10 years. Do youself a couple of favors;

1) Keep a log/diary. It'll come in handy when you are my age and are trying to remember stuff.

2) Don't pass up an opporutunity to be stationed overseas.

3) Get some college under your belt.

Enjoy your time in the Navy, I did.

Riflemanz
10-30-2007, 18:29
Congrats! NOW DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and take some college courses so you can build credits in case you get out after 3-4yrs.

Navy Gunner
10-31-2007, 20:46
Congrats! Boot camp was fun as I remember it. Seems like yesterday.

Good luck.

Thanks for your service.

GMCS(SW)

H-D&GLOCK
11-14-2007, 16:44
congrats to ya...former bt3 from '86 to '90...coldest i've ever been was bootcamp at great lakes in january/february...:)

Wow, it is cold up there then. Used to live there. Son is now going there, at first they said February, but last night after doing 2 mile run said it could be anytime between now and then.

bfg1971
12-05-2007, 16:08
Congratulations on your achievement.

Want a little more advice? College will never be cheaper than letting uncle pay for it. Get your education whenever you can. CLEP and Dantes exams are free. TA will fully pay for at least 1 class per semester use it! I finished a degree while on active duty took 1 course and 1 placement exam besides my Navy schools to finish.

Start TSP now! If you start now you will never miss the money going into it. I did 5% base pay and 10 % of all bonuses and special pays. I wish I had started earlier than I did but for my first 8 yrs it wasn't offered. It is possible to save over $1 million during a 20 year career. Combine that with your retirement and you could retire for life by age 40. Live like none of your shipmates do now and you can live like none of them will be able to later. Too many good people in the Navy drink their paycheck.

I see I have gone from advice to meddleing in your life so I'll stop. Again congratulations on your graduation. And in case no one else tells you thanks for coming to work today.

usn.shaft
12-24-2007, 17:33
Congrats from a recently separated vet. The Navy was a lot of fun for me, keep your nose clean and know when to hold your tongue and you should be just fine.