Bowling with Bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bowling with Bullets

Nuclear
04-15-2007, 22:02
The bowling pin club I belong to wants to recruit more shooters. We basically bowl using handguns instead of the usual bowling pin shoots. You can use anything from a .22 to a .44 mag (.17's won't knock over pins and the range won't let us shoot .50's). If you are interested, stop by the Delray Shooting Center on Wednesday nights at 6:00 PM. Talk to any of the club officers (Dave, Bryan, Bob or Irwin).

Moderators, if this violates some rule or is in the inappropriate sub-forum, my apologies in advance and please do what is necessary.

noway
04-16-2007, 12:54
hey I notice you stopped at 44mag what about 45auto and 45colt?

I might show up and check out the sence, but where in Delray shooting center did they setup a table for pins?

eddief4
04-16-2007, 15:42
i have always wondered about this, my local range has this and i may want to try it.

Nowhere Man
04-16-2007, 17:55
How do you get your gun to roll down the alley? Doesn't it get all scratched up?:supergrin:

Dave

njl
04-16-2007, 20:26
Its a lot of fun, but can be discouraging if you don't bring heavy enough lead. .45acp or better is recommended.

Los Suenos
04-17-2007, 18:50
Explain the rules please. I'm guessing you get two shot's per frame. Do you have to knock them off the table or just down? I'm guessing you would'nt be at a disadvantage using a revolver. A nice slow, heavy .4something should work well?

noway
04-17-2007, 21:40
typically you shoot with no limits aganist the clock, but some ranges have a limit.

So this way a 22lR shooter wouldn't be their for 1 hours trying to shoot the pins off the table ;)

For me CCI/blze 200gr TMJ in10mm works great
or a 200grain 45acp jacket SWC flying out at 770fps knocks them down with ease.

accuracy and time is your point killer ;)

Court in FL.
04-18-2007, 09:06
When you are shooting in this competition are you still required to use only ammo sold to you by the store ?

Or can you shoot your HOT reloads to help you knock the pins off the table ?

Thank You, Court in FL.

noway
04-18-2007, 18:38
I never heard of only store range ammo. I bet it depends the locale.

fwiw: mild to lite loads do just fine in big calibers like 10mm/44mag/45colt/45acp. You don't need a blazing screamer in these caliber.

Momentum says alot ;)

Nuclear
04-22-2007, 11:32
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I was out of town and internet disabled.

Ok, more details - we set up 10 pins and you have 10 rounds (and 30 seconds) to make a strike. If you have any pins left standing, you get that many rounds to knock them over (we only make you knock them over, not off the table) and get a spare. Scoring is just like bowling scoring.

We have 5 regular frames with 2 bonus frames (like the 10th frame in regular bowling).

You can use .45's (most of us do), I don't know why I stopped at .44 caliber in the original post (probably sleep deprivation).

Three of our best shooters use revolvers.

We have an agreement with Delray JUST for our bowling pin league shoots to use what we bring rather than what they sell (since we have a bunch of reloaders).

njl
04-22-2007, 15:46
That sounds much easier than what we used to do. We'd set them up bowling style on a big table and you had 18 rounds (3 mags of 6) to clear the table. Just knocking them over didn't cut it. Score was time + 100 for each pin left on the table.

Clearing knocked over pins from the table with smaller calibers (i.e. 9mm) could be quite challenging. Almost everyone used either .45acp, .44, or .45LC.

Ian
04-23-2007, 10:22
It is a lot of fun, but pretty difficult at the end, when you only have the top half of the pin to shoot at, and I think that it is about 50 feet away.
I will be back soon, as was away with a shoulder injury.

beefums
04-24-2007, 19:51
I am totally going to start doing this. I love shooting non paper objects.... that aren't alive.