Gun Shop employees who act like they hate their job. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shop employees who act like they hate their job.

2legit2quit
04-16-2007, 13:47
Stopped by Popguns the other day. I think the employees there need more sleep or different jobs. There was one guy named Fred who was friendly, professional, and helpful. A big guy acted like a complete jerk towards customers in the shop and on the phone. The guy who appeared to be the manager or boss seemed to not give a damn about anything. Customer service was lacking big time. I'm not expecting to find Little Miss Sunshine working in a gun shop. But why are these people in the business if they act like they hate their job so much?

I won't go out of my way to stop there ever again.

KSFreeman
04-16-2007, 14:01
We should all pause and remember Kirk's Laws of the Internet. Kirk's Law are unfailing and a continually source of comfort to those confused by the gun culture.

"People do not become gun dealers to make money; they become gun dealers to tell others 'NO!'"

Let it be written for it is The Truth!

Kirk the Wise, Kirk the Clement.

R. Emmelman
04-16-2007, 14:28
I noticed that also about Popguns. I spent about 45 minutes there looking in the display case and nobody even asked if they could show me anything. Other shops are different.

sjstill
04-16-2007, 16:47
I think we're very friendly at Plainfield. I can get rude, but the customer has to try pretty hard to get me there.

minuteman32
04-16-2007, 18:01
Originally posted by sjstill
I think we're very friendly at Plainfield. I can get rude, but the customer has to try pretty hard to get me there.

Man, I must not be trying hard enough!:poke:

rhino465
04-16-2007, 18:27
Originally posted by 2legit2quit

A big guy acted like a complete jerk towards customers in the shop and on the phone.

By any chance do you mean "tall" when you say "big," and did he have sandy-colored hair?

rhino465
04-16-2007, 18:29
Originally posted by KSFreeman
We should all pause and remember Kirk's Laws of the Internet. Kirk's Law are unfailing and a continually source of comfort to those confused by the gun culture.

"People do not become gun dealers to make money; they become gun dealers to tell others 'NO!'"

Let it be written for it is The Truth!

Okay, which number is that?

So far I have documented Kirk's Laws the First, the Second, and the Fifth.

1-2man
04-16-2007, 18:36
I'm driving 45 minutes 1-way to shoot and buy guns when there is a shop 5 minutes and 20 minutes away from my house. They were rude, uninterested in my business or clueless on the products they were selling. After spending a few thousand in the course of a couple months, I found somewhere that knew how to take my money.

singlestacksig
04-16-2007, 18:39

Yes, I have driven very far out of my way to purchase a gun @ Plainfield..

Pop Guns once refused to show my Wife a gun and were very rude to her..
We have never purchased a thing from them...and probably never will..

rhino465
04-16-2007, 18:41
Originally posted by singlestacksig
Yes, I have driven very far out of my way to purchase a gun @ Plainfield..

Pop Guns once refused to show my Wife a gun and were very rude to her..
We have never purchased a thing from them...and probably never will..

If they only knew how much she loves to shoot . . . hey would have tried a lot harder to keep you both as customers. Or maybe not! Maybe they're just that bad.

singlestacksig
04-16-2007, 18:45
Originally posted by rhino465
If they only knew how much she loves to shoot . . . hey would have tried a lot harder to keep you both as customers. Or maybe not! Maybe they're just that bad.
OH, they will never know..
It was going to be her first purchase......

Sometimes she jokes about going in there and doing the scene from "pretty woman" , the one about the bad sales man who makes commission...

rhino465
04-16-2007, 19:29
Originally posted by singlestacksig
OH, they will never know..
It was going to be her first purchase......

Sometimes she jokes about going in there and doing the scene from "pretty woman" , the one about the bad sales man who makes commission...

That would be awesome! If you guys ever win a lottery or otherwise come into crazy amounts of money, you should do. But make sure to invite me, because I want to hear her say, "BIG MISTAKE!"

epsylum
04-16-2007, 19:30
For you south-side-ishers there is a new shop in Mooresville, AAC Guns. You may recognize several faces there if you have been going to Plainfield. ;)

seamus
04-16-2007, 20:12
Where at in Mooresville? :headscratch:

2legit2quit
04-16-2007, 21:09
This guy had very short hair. Tall, stocky build. Carried a Glock and was surly.

The overall attitude I got in that shop is the customer is a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by rhino465
By any chance do you mean "tall" when you say "big," and did he have sandy-colored hair?

epsylum
04-16-2007, 21:35
Originally posted by seamus
Where at in Mooresville? :headscratch:

Indiana st., right next to the KFC.

Rikki
04-17-2007, 02:20
I won't say you didn't have a bad experience at Pops- but I like the place. I used to stop in there 2-3 x a week(sane detour on the way home).
Those guys kinda got to know me and flipped me some really good deals.
I'll add this- Pops is ALOT nicer place on any weekday afternoon than it is on the weekends! that place is crazy busy on Saturdays.

2legit2quit
04-17-2007, 05:12
I was there on a week day around 2:30. If that is the nice time to go I can only imagine Saturdays!

Originally posted by Rikki
Pops is ALOT nicer place on any weekday afternoon than it is on the weekends! that place is crazy busy on Saturdays.

jmb79
04-17-2007, 05:31
I have always had good experiences at Pop Guns. Moreover, during the long, cold Winter months when the employees at Eagle Creek are too wimpy to open, it's the only place reasonably close at which to shoot.

Now, if you want a gun shop full of unsavory employees, go to Plainfield Shooting Supply. The worst one there is the tall, wirey red headed fellow!

I.P.D. R.I.P.
04-17-2007, 05:31
The guys at Pops are definately ASSES.

But the worst has to be Jason at Elmore's.

He went to college until he got bored and it was to much trouble,then came to work for old dad.He will totally ignore customers to sit and look at catalogs,that's why we call him the "Catalog Commando" kinda like a Sidewalk Commando but alot more lazy.
And then there's the fact of him being an expert at everything but unable to fix anything.;)

KSFreeman
04-17-2007, 05:52
jmb, at least the tall, wiry red-headed guy is always hard at work. Every time I see him at the gun shows he is working hard for the people.

sjstill
04-17-2007, 06:12
Originally posted by jmb79
Now, if you want a gun shop full of unsavory employees, go to Plainfield Shooting Supply. The worst one there is the tall, wirey red headed fellow!

HEY!! I think I know that lout:rofl: :rofl:

epsylum
04-17-2007, 08:32
Originally posted by KSFreeman
jmb, at least the tall, wiry red-headed guy is always hard at work. Every time I see him at the gun shows he is working hard for the people.

I am pretty sure jmb meant to put a ;) or some other smiley to indicate he wasn't at least 100% serious (also note his Eagle Creek reference).

That being said, every time I see him (said red-headed guy) at the gunshow he is yacking on the telelphone. :chatter:

:tongueout:

mpholic
04-17-2007, 11:31
Originally posted by jmb79
during the long, cold Winter months when the employees at Eagle Creek are too wimpy to open,

Just because you've got icewater in your veins instead of blood doesn't mean everybody does.;)

I've talked to Steve about staying open year round but since you're the only one who'd probably come he doesn't go for it.

epsylum
04-17-2007, 15:34
Originally posted by mpholic
I've talked to Steve about staying open year round but since you're the only one who'd probably come he doesn't go for it.

I think I know of a certain judge that would still show up. ;)

usaf207cwf
04-17-2007, 16:28
HEY!! I think I know that lout:rofl: :rofl:

The lout doesn't bother me

Bob's singing however:zipmouth: :nutcheck:

sjstill
04-17-2007, 19:09
Originally posted by usaf207cwf

Hey, Bob and I *almost* hit 2-part harmony this afternoon. :shocked: :animlol: (I think I'm learning his bad habits :rofl:

minuteman32
04-18-2007, 08:45
Originally posted by usaf207cwf

To quote a kid I worked w/ in New Mexico several years ago, "I used to wish that I could sing ........ now, I wish HE could!".:rofl:

seamus
04-18-2007, 20:34
Originally posted by epsylum
Indiana st., right next to the KFC.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

TommyG19
04-22-2007, 21:14
I love going to Pops. The big guy, Terry I think, is pretty much an ass that acts like we're wasting time buying guns from him. But he's pretty good on crowd control in the range. Has no problem letting that week's G-wannabe know that the reason his rental gun keeps malfunctioning is because the kid is limp-wristing, and then picks up the same gun and clears the center of the target in short order from a perfectly functioning gun.

Jason at Pops is great. Remembers my name, shows me whatever SBR or other project he's working on. Nice guy.

I think Pops is in a place (geographically) where some unsavory characters come in on a daily basis, and so they don't immediately warm up to just anyone. But I love that it's clean, they push the sale of quality firearms for the right reasons, and keep a straight shop.

boby
04-22-2007, 22:09
Terry basically taught me how to assemble an AR15 one day. I thought it was pretty nice of him seeing as how we didnt even know each other. He has always treated me well.

Jason is by far the nicest in the store however. Rembers my name as well, has given me free range time for waiting forever, and answers questions with honesty. He does not spout the ".45 knock down power" crap that I hear in most gun stores. If I can I try to conduct my transactions with him every time.

Mike the owner has always treated me professionally. I had some problems with my night sights that someone at another local store screwed up. I asked Mike if he could take a look at them. He reinstalled them at no charge.

Fenway
04-23-2007, 09:09
I belong to the range at Pops.

I don't buy anything at the shop and if there was another range option for me I would switch in a minute.

I'm not a jack ass and have been nothing but polite and courteous to the workers. I don't care for the way I've been treated a couple of times by a certain employee so my money goes elsewhere.

mpholic
04-23-2007, 09:37
Originally posted by Fenway
if there was another range option for me I would switch in a minute.

Not to steal business from Pop's but why wouldn't Eagle Creek Pistol Range work for you?

http://www.ecpr.4t.com/

http://www.pubplex.com/ecppr/category-view.asp

We'd be happy to help any way we can.

Fenway
04-23-2007, 09:40
Thanks for the suggestion. The big problem for me is the limited hours and Pops is alot closer. I live on the NE side.

Originally posted by mpholic
Not to steal business from Pop's but why wouldn't Eagle Creek Pistol Range work for you?

http://www.ecpr.4t.com/

http://www.pubplex.com/ecppr/category-view.asp

We'd be happy to help any way we can.

mpholic
04-23-2007, 09:43
Originally posted by Fenway
The big problem for me is the limited hours.

True, we are only open on the weekends.

What hours do you usually have available?

There is a conservation club on the West side also. Weekday evenings and Weekend hours are pretty booked up but weekdays are wide open.

WetPhoneBook
04-25-2007, 12:55
I remember when Pops was on the West side at 56th and Georgetown about four or five years ago, and how excited I was that they were opening a range. Hooray, somewhere to shoot besides that basement Dons calls a range!

They've kept the place up well over the years, and I've bought four of my guns from them.

The staff is pretty helpful, but I'd classify them as "serious", not so much as rude. You do have to ask for help if you want it, since the majority of people that come in there are just looking and don't want to buy anything. I'll bet if you're a LEO you get treated better though ;)

FThorn
04-25-2007, 13:08
I took my NRA Basic Pistol from Mike and Terry. I had not ever really shot a handgun before. I stopped in to look at something, saw they had classes, asked about it, and they just had an opening the next day (SAT). I went and spent 10 hours learning about handguns. I really appreciated Terry's instruction for a complete newbie.

boby
04-25-2007, 13:41
Yea I really think the problem is the people who come in the store. Look at the neighborhood that Pops is in. A majority of the people in there are either mopes, or they are just looking. So why should they greet and bother everyone coming in the store? Take best buy for example, I just wanna mace those people. Every 10 seconds "Hi can I help you!?" or "You looking into buying a TV?" They will not leave you alone its quite frankly very annoying. I myself would rather have to ask for help so im not bothered constantly while im trying to browse.

I think another part of the problem is that we are used to being greated at other retail stores. The best buy example is a good one. But the thing is, they are not greeting you because they care. They are greeting you to deter theft. Anyone who has ever worked in one of the mainstream retail stores can tell you this. They train you to constantly greet people thus letting them know they are being watched. I really dont think Pops has much of a theft problem and so they arent in the practice of greeting people.

KSFreeman
04-25-2007, 13:51
At Best Buy always head for the area with the best looking female employee. Ask her a bunch of questions.

teamplayer
04-26-2007, 18:16
The things I love about gunshop salespeople are:

(1) If you ask about any gun that's in the case, they say "Yup, just got that in this morning." (They sell guns so fast that every gun just came in this morning, dontcha see.)

(2) If you ask about any gun that's out of stock, they say "Yup, we had one o' them a coupla weeks ago, but it sold pretty quick". You see, their inventory turns over so fast you better grab anything you see quick.

epsylum
04-26-2007, 19:18
Originally posted by teamplayer
(2) If you ask about any gun that's out of stock, they say "Yup, we had one o' them a coupla weeks ago, but it sold pretty quick". You see, their inventory turns over so fast you better grab anything you see quick.

Try PSS, they sold a gun minutes before I showed up, literally. I came in with money in hand and there was a guy with my gun walking out. :shocked:

I wound up with a gun that I know now that I would be happier with anyways, so it worked out. :thumbsup:

sjstill
04-26-2007, 20:29

(1) If you ask about any gun that's in the case, they say "Yup, just got that in this morning." (They sell guns so fast that every gun just came in this morning, dontcha see.)

For some shoppes, that's actually true. We average 6 new guns a day at PSS, 3 or 4 used per day from trades. Some days, up to 15 new guns come in.

Some guns, like the Springfield EMP, we only get one of (almost a 1000.00 pistol!), and it's gone within a day or two.

We got in the new S&W M&P45 Wednesday around 2.30, and it was sold (not to me, either) by 4.30 or so. Bob didn't even have a chance to make a tag for it.

I've got this pretty bad habit of being honest with customers, and Bob does too (otherwise, I wouldn't work there).

seamus
04-26-2007, 20:34
I've always been treated well by the guys at Pop's and I think what several of you stated is probably true , they are somewhat reserved because of some of the clientele. I took 2 of their handgun classes taught by Terry & Mike and Mike told us about the time several thugs tried to rob him when he was working solo in the old store at 10th and Mithofer. I think they are reserved to the point of being stonefaced until they really know you.

rhino465
04-26-2007, 21:53

I've got this pretty bad habit of being honest with customers, and Bob does too (otherwise, I wouldn't work there).

You . . . you . . . FIENDS!

:supergrin:

sjstill
04-27-2007, 16:10
:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

FThorn
05-01-2007, 04:48
I made a point to stop into Pop Guns yesterday to try and get a feel for the attitudes.

I've been there before, and taken a class, but in no way do they know me on a first name basis.

I have to say that during the 15 minutes I was there, they acted in the most professional manner towards everyone. And, the customers were plentiful and mixed-race, too. Terry, for instance, kept saying SIR,,...yes sir, no sir, can I help you sir, anything else you'd like to see sir? ....very nice.

And there was one guy there that they let browse/compare about 3 or 4 .45s at one time. And they had stepped away/did not hover over him for 5 minutes. Very accommodating.

I asked a couple of questions and got good, polite answers.

I'll have to say the prices were 10% higher than I've seen elsewhere recently (Plainfield). But, that leaves money for negotiations, right? :)

And they have a TON of rental guns to choose from. Coupons are also on their website for discounts on rentals, too, I think.

Overall, much better than I recall.

WetPhoneBook
05-01-2007, 12:19
Originally posted by FThorn
And there was one guy there that they let browse/compare about 3 or 4 .45s at one time. And they had stepped away/did not hover over him for 5 minutes.

I didn't think they did that anymore after Galyan's in 2001.

R. Emmelman
05-01-2007, 12:40
When I got my G22 at Gander Mountain (Castleton) the salesman was very nice and helpful. Showed me several pistols and let me dry-fire them. They were also very efficient in processing the paperwork.

FThorn
05-01-2007, 12:41
Originally posted by WetPhoneBook
I didn't think they did that anymore after Galyan's in 2001.

It's quite possible they know the guy personally. I don't know.

Blitzer
05-01-2007, 15:09

Many employees in general have this attitude today:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/3327/giveadamnanimatedyq8.gif

And their heads filled with:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8630/SPAM-Lite.jpg

And these guys are a lot brighter:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6076/StoogesFaces.jpg

And their handy work and craftsmanship look like they used
this to mount that $1,669.00 Swarovski scope on that
$2,175.00 Sako 75 Big Game Deluxe:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7479/Image4.jpg

Their fortunes cookies always read:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5029/fortune52.jpg

My attitude is such:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6431/stupidiq3.gif

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3482/awjeez0ft.jpg

FThorn
05-01-2007, 18:01
That's the hair style I'm shooting for

tooms
05-08-2007, 22:15
I often shoot at pops regularly on weekdays only. I've never had a problem with any of the staff there. They always seem to be pretty nice.

Hoosierbilly
06-02-2007, 00:25
i was at Ludco in parker city a while back one day with a buddy and we were towards the back looking at some blackpowder revolvers and a guy walks in and fred says "Hey, what can i do for you?" and the guy says in a stern voice "I need to kill somebody..." and they both laugh and he shows him some guns.....it was hilarious, im guessing they knew each other

P.S. I love the smell of that place...

B Coyote
06-03-2007, 13:37
Being from The Region, I only get to the Indy area once or twice per year.

I used make it a point to stop at Popguns. Used to. The last time (at their new store) they were borderline rude and very short when I asked questions like "do you have any Sigs" and "do you have any magazines for a Glock 21".

Next time I get down South, I'll see about a trip to Plainfield...;)

bc

glockguyind
06-04-2007, 09:47
+1 on Plainfield. Anytime I have been there, I have always been treated good. Great prices too!:thumbsup:

FThorn
06-04-2007, 10:19
The more I shop around the more Plainfield is da bomb (I mean, they are good).

depending upon what you want, then, Bradis and Elmores are the next ones I like.

http://www.elmoresfirearms.com/
http://bradisguns.com/

The nicest, shop talk place I have been is the The Outdoorsman, on 135. They sit and chat a lot. And have some decent guns, too.

http://www.outdoorsmansportshop.com/profile.cfm

With Elmore's and KS&E (Pendleton Pike)you can also smoke a pack without ever lighting up. :rofl:

seamus
06-05-2007, 15:10
Ed acually goes outside of the store at KS&E's now to smoke. I never asked him why but the store is now smoke free. Daryl probably threatened to sit on him!:rofl:

FThorn
06-05-2007, 15:18
not the last two recent times I was there.

seamus
06-06-2007, 20:20
Well, I wonder if they had a meeting of minds? I haven't been in for about 2 months. I was very surprised when I saw Ed going outside to smoke because he always had a cig burning in the ashtray like a carcinogenic incense stick.