SLC Appleseed May 5-6 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SLC Appleseed May 5-6

Specks
04-17-2007, 13:32
Just a heads up on this. It's coming up pretty quick. I just submitted my registration for it.

To register, click this link rwva.org (http://rwva.org) and click the 'Event Registration' link on the left side menu.

Staats
04-17-2007, 14:22
I am not familiar with with what this is. Care to explain?

GixxerSixxer
04-17-2007, 16:40
Originally posted by Staats

Distance marksmanship specializing in trying to train you how to shoot 300+ yards with open sights and actually hit something.

Gibbles
04-17-2007, 17:20
Sounds cool
Would an AR15 carbine be ok?
I'm working on building up a nice 20in rifle but it won't be finished for a few months.

Man, I need to invest in some reloading stuff, I keep shooting away my build money... :supergrin:

GixxerSixxer
04-17-2007, 17:59
A carbine might work for you. I find a heavier rifle is easier to shoot far and accurate with. My National Match is around 13 lbs. I have lead in the handguard and the buttstock.

The sight radius on the 20 is more conducive to aid the shooter in accuracy.

The 16" and 20" are both capable of shooting 3/4 MOA. The big difference is velocity. The 16" will need more hold-over than a 20". If you can do the 15-minute trigger job that can help too. Polish up engagement surfaces and smooth things out. If you have a nice trigger long-range accuracy is a lot easier IMO.

It can't hurt to try things with the carbine. I think from the last one that was held there were some people that never did hit the target even with the right equipment.

I'd also be using 69 or 77 grain BTHPs, especially in the early springtime in the valley.

UtahIrishman
04-17-2007, 21:22
Bring what you have. An AR-15 would be fine. I went to the Appleseed shoot last year with my BLR. Not exactly the best choice for this type of shooting but it's what I have. Most likely I will be using it again this year since my FAL isn't ready yet. :sad:

You will learn a lot about shooting that's for sure.

Specks
04-17-2007, 22:50
Originally posted by Staats

Visit the link in my original post. There is all the info you need. But to put it in a nutshell: An appleseed shot is training on how to become a rifleman.