Women who carry concealed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Women who carry concealed

Rora
04-17-2007, 23:09
Well, my little one is a glock 26.

I've looked around, I know all the different options for concealment belly band, between the belt and body, thunderwear, thigh holster w/ skirt, 5.11 makes concealment shirts...

But, what I'm really looking for, are opinions from other women out there.

What do you carry and where is your choice for concealed carry?
Explain how it works for your body, or interesting situations you've found yourself in where the concealed weapon nearly unconcealed.
What other ways of concealed carry have you tried, and what did you like/not like about them?

I would appreciate to hear your stories and opinions.

-AuroraRose

Mrs. Tink
04-18-2007, 09:35
I haven't shelled out the cash for a little carry gun yet. My choice would also be a G26. (I was going to buy one but then I needed new tires... but that's neither here nor there...)

I tend to prefer cross-draw IWB with a paddle holster. I like leather better than Kydex, which tends IMO to print like Kinko's. Having it on the side or small of back just seems unnatural and difficult to me. Since I don't have a small handgun and the days of bulky coats are melting into the days of spring, IWB is less available to me now since my gun is not small. I have purse carried, which is handy but 1) the purse gets HEAVY after a while, 2) you get a bit paranoid about putting it down anywhere for any reason, and 3) if the purse isn't specifically designed for carry, you have to configure the inside or put the gun in there with your own holster, which can be difficult in and of itself.

Right now I am carrying my Walther P99. Huge, clunky, but unencumbered by overt safeties. Um, woohoo?

I have not yet had a problem with concealed weapons becoming nearly unconcealed. But I don't want to try an ankle holster for that very reason.

Lynn D
04-18-2007, 15:24
Originally posted by Rora

What do you carry and where is your choice for concealed carry?
Explain how it works for your body, or interesting situations you've found yourself in where the concealed weapon nearly unconcealed.
What other ways of concealed carry have you tried, and what did you like/not like about them?

-AuroraRose

IWB for me and my Kahr P9. Most always in a Bianchi "Professional". Have occasionally been using an Uncle Mike's "Sidekick", especially on pants with drawstrings in the waist....it seem to fit better in that area.

I'm short waisted and plus size to boot. OWB isn't for me. Concealability, especially in warm weather, takes a bit of planning, but is quite doable.

Somewhere, I have a small of the back holster...used it once...then went IWB, which just works better. Would like to try a fanny pack for the summer. Men complain that it "screams gun"....but on us, I think it will look like a "purse alternative".

Best of luck.

Two-Gun Mary
04-18-2007, 18:51
I'm not a woman but my soulmate is and she loves her Keltec P3AT with a Clipdraw.

It was actually purchased for ME, but she shot it, considered the light weight and small size and promptly declared it to be HER gun.

I don't mind a bit because, (1) I love her tremendously, (2) I like her to be armed, and, (3) I can always buy another P3AT for me but I could NEVER find another HER!

kcb
04-18-2007, 18:54
I have an old 22 that was my Daddy's.

I am still wanting a small gun...new for me. Daddy's gun is really getting old, though I'll cherish it for always!

I've been looking at this with my husband. I keep hoping to get it as a gift several times over. :sad:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/kcb405/SW638.jpg

SW638

:banana: :thumbsup:

April
04-19-2007, 08:12
I *was* carrying a G26 strong side IWB in a Fist K1 kydex holster. I say *was*.. being pregnant tends to do funny things to one's waist so I've moved to the KelTec P32 in a front pocket, but even that is waning as I get bigger.

The thing is finding a holster that's comfortable, once you do that finding the "sweet spot" to carry won't be very difficult. There are pros and cons to each method of carry, the trick is finding the one that works the best for you.

btcglockgirl
04-20-2007, 00:27
I carry at G 26. Most of the time I carry in a gun purse (which my husband who is a professional firearms instructor absolutely despises). The purse is nice, but it does get heavy (as someone else mentioned) and hurts my shoulder even with my little gun.

Sometimes, I carry in a kydex holster on the hip, but in the summer, it's impossible for me to conceal the gun this way. This also does not work well with the new style low waisted jeans. I know some people who carry on the ankle, but this drastically slows your draw time.

My husband recommends fanny packs made for firearms in the summer if you chose not to use a hip holster, however this is not very fashion friendly. Otherwise, for him the only option is his kydex holster with a backup ankle gun.

I have seen the underwear style holsters, but never tried one. I'd like to hear some opinions if anyone has used them.

Jenn

Bowie Tactical
04-20-2007, 01:23
btcglockgirl, remember saving your life or the life of a loved one is not about fashion. Concealed carry is a lifestyle choice and fashion can not be the main issue. Looking good when you die is not going to make you feel any better.
CHECK 360

Glockgirl26
04-20-2007, 08:48
Originally posted by Bowie Tactical
btcglockgirl, remember saving your life or the life of a loved one is not about fashion. Concealed carry is a lifestyle choice and fashion can not be the main issue. Looking good when you die is not going to make you feel any better.
CHECK 360

Besides, if nothing else, it's a good excuse to go buy some new clothes. And who doesn't like new clothes?
:supergrin:

:wavey:

SARDG
04-20-2007, 10:22
Originally posted by btcglockgirl
...Most of the time I carry in a gun purse (which my husband who is a professional firearms instructor absolutely despises)... ...My husband recommends fanny packs made for firearms in the summer if you chose not to use a hip holster...

Jenn
Jenn - I'd pretty much have to agree with your husband on this one. And I've been on GT regularly, railing against purse carry. I'm not a tiny gal (uh - 5'9" and big-boned :)), but still couldn't manage to hold on to my purse when a bad guy wanted it. I've posted an abbreviated account of the purse snatching on other threads but here's an excerpt when the thread was about slingshotting the Kahr, and then about carrying a round chambered, but drifted to talking about "good" neighborhoods:

"The purse snatching was in St. Louis, about 2 miles from my home at that time. Generally the area is a good one. But this happened at a hotel, on a major thoroughfare where criminals probably were looking for an easy mark.

The assailant himself actually had a friend driving a (stolen) getaway car. I didn't (couldn't) carry at that time, but it wouldn't have been prudent to shoot a fleeing purse snatcher in the back anyway. I did chase after him however (in my 2" heels) and actually caught up with the getaway car, hooked my arm around the B pillar, and got pulled down the parking lot for dozens of feet before realizing that was a bad idea. I let go just before a 90 degree turn, bounced off the pavement, and noticed I still had my car keys in my hand through all that. So yes, I ran back to my car and chased after them. I never did find them however, but po-po located my purse later that evening on the floorboard of an abandoned stolen car.

I do better these days by alarming my house (in a good neighborhood in Florida) and by paying a little bit more attention to what in the heck is going on around me. I also carry DAILY."

The point is, it's very easy for an average male to overcome and snatch a purse from an average female (IF we discount any EXTRA training a woman may have in self-defense).

A fanny pack would be better as far as a quick "snatch" was concerned, but if the BG had the drop on you, and threatened you with a gun or knife - he could still demand your fanny pack, and most victims (wisely) wouldn't consider resisting and engaging in CQC (Close Quarter Combat).

These real scenarios lead me to believe that the absolute best way to carry is (holstered, and concealed), on your person. At least if the BG got your purse, he may never know you were carrying and you wouldn't be supplying criminals with more guns.

It's true that in some cases, I've had to buy 1 size larger jeans, or wear shirts and tops that fall over my waist, but I'm personally real tired of being a victim.

I'm a First Responder, and always in the thick of things. I can see a time in the future when I'm off-duty and find it necessary to draw my firearm. (I don't carry on-duty) I've seen crime and more importantly - been the victim of crime, and know it can happen at any time, again.

The entire thread I spoke about above can be found here and I speak a little about my home invasion on there:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=638602

and on the very last post in the thread, here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=653817&perpage=25&highlight=home+invasion&pagenumber=3

The above thread was closed by the moderator after my post. I presume he thought (incorrectly) that I was bad-mouthing (all) cops - which I absolutely was not. (Though I was disappointed in how the HPD {Honolulu PD} handled my home invasion).

SARDoG

Glockgirl26
04-20-2007, 10:54
Jenn, have you ever tried Carhartt brand women's jeans? They are not low waisted like so many of the women's jeans are now, super comfortable, and not very expensive. You're right, it is harder to conceal with those low rise jeans.

I got a fanny pack from our favorite Blackhawk dealer (;) ) and while it is convenient, even the small one feels huge when it's on, and my oh-so-nice boyfriend always made fun of it.
:upeyes:

btcglockgirl
04-20-2007, 15:25
Glockgirl26- I haven't seen the Carhart jeans. I'll have to check those out. I do have a few pairs of 5-11s which I like and they aren't low either and have plenty of pockets.

In response to the other posts I totally agree that carrying your firearm on your body is the best way to carry. I am an average to small sized person. For smaller sized people in the summer when you don't have bulky clothing to cover the gun, it makes it harder to do so.

tlish
04-21-2007, 09:08
here's a similar thread on carrying concealed:

carrying w/ hips (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=669115&perpage=25&highlight=women+holster&pagenumber=1)

Vic303
04-22-2007, 22:00
CCO sized 1911 in a Sparks VMII IWB, or a FM HighPower Detective, in a shortened UCR IWB, or a snubbie in a fanny pack.

SARDG
04-22-2007, 22:09
Originally posted by Vic303
CCO sized 1911 in a Sparks VMII IWB, or a FM HighPower Detective, in a shortened UCR IWB, or a snubbie in a fanny pack.
That's easy for you to say... ;)

Bearjing
04-23-2007, 18:11
I'm a woman that doesn't ordinarily carry a bag-- but I do now! I bought a nice black leather bag from Coronado leather that has a zippered middle pocket just for a gun. Over your shoulder just like a bag, the gun pocket is completely accessible and RIGHT there-- it zips along the side, not the top, so it's really accessible. A holster fits in there to keep the gun easily accessible. The holsters can be changed, but mine fits both my 1911 (Kimber Compact CDP) and my snub nose .357 fine.

btcglockgirl
04-24-2007, 01:00
I started out with a Coronado Leather purse which was way too big for me. I bought a Galco Leather purse in January and absolutely love it. It is the right size and the leather seems to be better quality. However, it was a lot more than the Coronado Leather bag.

Tazlima
04-24-2007, 18:51
I've carried a knife for years and there were many times when my pockets simply weren't comfortable as a place to put it. Pockets on ladies jeans tend to be ridiculously small and tight, or simply nonexistant.

About two years ago I struck on the idea of carrying a pocket knife (I have one with a clip on the side) in my bra. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I just clip it in the middle. It feels a bit weird at first (much like wearing a bra in the first place...flashback to middle school), but once you're used to it you can wear it just about constantly. It's virtually invisible and in most shirts it's very easy to access. The only limiting factors are turtlenecks and very low cut shirts. The former make access difficult and the latter risk people spotting it.

I've carried this way for two years now and nobody has ever noticed a thing. On occasions when I've taken it out in front of people to open a box or something, the response is invariably "have you carried that thing around all the time I've known you?!" Not only that, but if you're carrying a concealed handgun (in most holsters), you're knife won't interfere with your gun and vice versa.

Feel free to respond to this message with a resounding "Well DUH." I'm sure lots of women have already come up with this solution, but as I said, I carried a knife for years before it occurred to me. Maybe it will be useful to someone else.