What a contrast [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What a contrast

Snowman92D
04-18-2007, 11:22
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=22156

The answer to a rampaging killer is an armed citizen.

FThorn
04-18-2007, 12:21
Here is a fantastically sad read:

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1176871125899&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1112876262536

Students have to check guns in at security office
Click here to find out more!
By Jeff Gardiner, Wellesley, Ont.
The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 18, 2007)

Re: Classroom slaughter (April 17)

In Virginia, citizens can get a licence to carry a concealed firearm.

The theory is that criminals will have weapons, so why not allow law-abiding people the means to defend themselves.

But in the case of Virginia Tech, there is a policy that forces students to check their guns at the campus security office when they arrive at school. In 2006, a bill challenging this practice was defeated.

A Virginia Tech spokesman was quoted right after this bill died saying: "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

The failure of this bill guarantees criminals are the only ones allowed to carry a gun on campus. That knowledge would not make me feel safe and, in light of what happened, it seems I would be justified in thinking that.

Compare this shooting with the one that took place at the Appalachian School of Law in 2002, where an armed student was able to subdue a gunman. Banning and restricting guns only affects people who are inclined to follow society's laws.

When will the anti-gun lobby figure that out?

mpholic
04-18-2007, 13:20
As has been said more than once, these "gun free zones" created by anti gun legislation are just slaughter houses waiting to happen.

Universities do it, corporations do it, even some munincipalities do it.:shakehead: The solution is simple and the antis just don't see it.:crazy:

Snowman92D
04-18-2007, 13:56
Others here can speak to this better than I can, but I have to wonder why someone doesn't file a lawsuit against VT for proudly denying their students and employees their state-recognized right-to-carry a defensive weapon, and then failing to protect them from injury and death? The shootings at VT are yet another bloody sacrifice on the altar of Unilateral Victim Disarmament masquerading as "reasonable gun control".

mpholic
04-18-2007, 14:40
Originally posted by Snowman92D
Others here can speak to this better than I can, but I have to wonder why someone doesn't file a lawsuit against VT for proudly denying their students and employees their state-recognized right-to-carry a defensive weapon, and then failing to protect them from injury and death? The shootings at VT are yet another bloody sacrifice on the altar of Unilateral Victim Disarmament masquerading as "reasonable gun control".

I have wondered about this myself, more than a few times.

I think I read someplace there were a few lawsuits going on against a large corporation for denying their employees the right to carry. It was a very small blurb and I have had little success verifying it or checking on its progress.

Once a few organizations lose (if they lose) these sort of lawsuits it may become harder for companies or orginizations to enforce these policies. Not being a lawyer though I don't know how realistic that expectation is.

cougar_guy04
04-18-2007, 16:54
This one was posted on another gun board I frequent:
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=1344