Toyota Truck/coolant issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Truck/coolant issues


RMTactical
04-18-2007, 14:24
So, my wife went to work today and said that when she was driving our '95 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 that when she would accelerate she would hear a "gurgling, splattering sound". It would only do it when she would accelerate.

She also mentioned that there is coolant leaking and splattered under the hood. So, is my radiator busted you think?

She said the coolant level looked fine in the overflow.

I guess I am gonna have to go down and check it out.

Any helpful thoughts or advice is appreciated.

NotAMonte86
04-18-2007, 18:18
You are gonna have to look at it first.

It could be any number of things. Leaking from the radiator, radiator hoses, t-stat housing, water pump, etc.

RMTactical
04-18-2007, 18:41
Originally posted by NotAMonte86
You are gonna have to look at it first.

It could be any number of things. Leaking from the radiator, radiator hoses, t-stat housing, water pump, etc.

OK, I took a look. There appears to be a hairline crack on the front of the radiator that is spitting coolant when you give it gas.

Is there an easy fix for this or is it time for a new radiator?

What do you think it will run ($$) to fix it?

NotAMonte86
04-18-2007, 19:05
Hairline crack in the radiator... in the core or endtanks (metal or plastic)?

You can go to AutoZone or somewhere similar, they have radiator repair kits. There are a few methods, and a few kits for each method. I'd prefer to use the putty-type stuff to seal it from the outside. The other way is to pour a bunch of junk into the radiator that seals it from the inside.

Each kit will have instructions on how to use. If the crack is in the plastic endtank, make sure the area is clean and dry, then work up the putty and spread it over the crack. Let it sit for 15 minutes and you are ready to rock. The repair kits will run from $5-$15.

The other way to do it would be to buy a new radiator, which can range in price depending on many things. But it will certainly cost more ($150+ for the radiator, plus labor, coolant, etc). It sounds like you will be just fine with the cheap-o repair. Just keep an eye on it.

RMTactical
04-18-2007, 19:14
Originally posted by NotAMonte86
Hairline crack in the radiator... in the core or endtanks (metal or plastic)?

You can go to AutoZone or somewhere similar, they have radiator repair kits. There are a few methods, and a few kits for each method. I'd prefer to use the putty-type stuff to seal it from the outside. The other way is to pour a bunch of junk into the radiator that seals it from the inside.

Each kit will have instructions on how to use. If the crack is in the plastic endtank, make sure the area is clean and dry, then work up the putty and spread it over the crack. Let it sit for 15 minutes and you are ready to rock. The repair kits will run from $5-$15.

The other way to do it would be to buy a new radiator, which can range in price depending on many things. But it will certainly cost more ($150+ for the radiator, plus labor, coolant, etc). It sounds like you will be just fine with the cheap-o repair. Just keep an eye on it.

It's plastic and it's on the top. It only leaks when there's a lot of pressure...

I am tempted to just do the quick/cheap fix but I want peace of mind when I am driving it...

I'll probably end up replacing it pretty soon.

Thanks for the help.

ecmills
04-20-2007, 10:31
Throw a radiator in it. Toyota truck rad's are easy to swap.

You HAVE checked for traces of engine oil in the radiator, and for coolant in the oil (milkshake on the dipstick)... right?

My initial thought when I read your symptoms was a blown headgasket pumping combustion pressure into the cooling system, severely over-pressurizing it.

Be happy if it just needs a radiator. ;)

knightkrawler00
04-20-2007, 23:20
I'm thinking the same as you, ecmills. The crack is most likely just a crack, but could have been caused by overpressure from a blown head gasket. The cap would normally vent anything over 15psi, but could have been stuck, allowing more than that. The fact that coolant is spitting out when the engine is revved would make me want to check more into a possible head gasket failure. The thermostat causes a restriction right before the radiator, so any pressure build up from the water pump is bled off. But, if there is a combustion leak into the cooling system, excess pressure will make it to the radiator since the t-stat is a restriction for liquid, not air.

I would get a new radiator, cap, coolant, and a block tester from Napa. The block tester is a clear tube that sits in the radiator neck, it is filled with a blue fluid that reacts to combustion by-products and turns green when in contact. Run the truck with the new radiator and the block tester in place, you will see air bubbles running through the fluid. Let it run for awhile, being careful that it doesn't come in contact with coolant. If it stays blue, great. If it turns green, time for the heads to come off.:sad:

Bushflyr
04-20-2007, 23:54
Originally posted by RMTactical
It's plastic and it's on the top. It only leaks when there's a lot of pressure...

I am tempted to just do the quick/cheap fix but I want peace of mind when I am driving it...

I'll probably end up replacing it pretty soon.

Thanks for the help.

Actually you want peace of mind when you wife is driving it. :supergrin: The JB Weld will last you till you can do it right but I've always found that peace of mind is worth a lot of money. Certainley more than the $150 or so that a new radiator costs. Like the other guys said, check your oil for peanut butter, check your coolant for sheen, then just replace the radiator and drive on. :thumbsup:

ecmills
05-07-2007, 13:13
Be glad it's a 1995. That vehicle has the 5VZFE 3.4L engine.

1994 and earlier toyota trucks had a 3.0L V6 that was very prone to popping headgaskets, and there were several factory recalls regarding this. A blown headgasket on the 3.4L is very rare, unless the engine was severly overheated - on the older engine, it was just a matter of time.

Due to the age of this post, I'm guessing you got this all sorted out by now.

RMTactical
05-07-2007, 18:47
Originally posted by ecmills
Be glad it's a 1995. That vehicle has the 5VZFE 3.4L engine.

1994 and earlier toyota trucks had a 3.0L V6 that was very prone to popping headgaskets, and there were several factory recalls regarding this. A blown headgasket on the 3.4L is very rare, unless the engine was severly overheated - on the older engine, it was just a matter of time.

Due to the age of this post, I'm guessing you got this all sorted out by now.

Yeah, I was aware of the issues with the older Toyota P/U's and avoided them when I was looking for my truck because of that reason (and because the V6 in the older ones was very weak too and got lousy mileage for the amount of power, or lack thereof).

I did take care of the radiator though, it's got a brand new one now.

Thanks! :)