Kaps Match on Saturday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kaps Match on Saturday

45gunner
04-19-2007, 18:37
We starting a Convoy of IPSC shooter in route to the legendary Kaps match that takes place this Sunday in Bardstown Ky.

So far the famous Treehuggin, KyGundoc and 45gunner, of the famous GLIPSC club, are going.

There is going to be two pistol matches and 1 rifle match.

We are inviting everyone to a day at one of the best matches around.

Some info on the match:

The regular monthly KAPS match will be held this Sunday, April 22nd. at the range near Bardstown.

The pistol match will consist of 5 stages, including USPSA classifier stage CM 99-22 "Nuevo El Presidente". A minimum of 113 rounds will be needed to complete the pistol match.

The registration desk will open at 9 AM and the 1st relay will start at 10:30 AM. The 2nd relay should start at approx. 1 PM.

There will be a rifle side match and a minimum of 24 rounds will be needed to complete the rifle match.

Set-up for this match will start at 4 PM on Friday, April 20. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Kaps Directions (http://www.practicalshooters.com/kaps2.htm)

TreehugginGlock
04-19-2007, 19:37
Thanks for the directions Gunner. Most appreciated.

domzilla9
04-20-2007, 18:43
I'm in. I get back to town Saturday night. Just tell me when and where to meet for the convoy/carpool.

GLW
04-20-2007, 19:55
Please count me in too. Just say where and when to meet. Thanks

dmoremen
04-21-2007, 17:09
I'm in! See you there.

Clyde
04-21-2007, 20:12
See ya In the A.M. :banana:

45gunner
04-21-2007, 21:07
Originally posted by GLW
Please count me in too. Just say where and when to meet. Thanks

Waffle house on brooks hill rd at 9:00

Berretta9
04-22-2007, 18:09
So... how was it ??

45gunner
04-22-2007, 20:29
Awesome. Treehuggin, Grady, Conlan, Dean an myself were there. Everyone except for TreeHuggin shot two pistol matches and some of us shot the rifle match.

Beautiful day and just the right temperature.

This was TreeHuggin's first KAPS match.

The GLIPSC team was outstanding.

I got to try out my KyGunDoc's 1911 Single stack mag pouches on a CR Speed holster. They are fast and easy to use.

KYgundoc
04-22-2007, 20:38
Originally posted by 45gunner
Awesome. Treehuggin, Grady, Conlan, Dean an myself were there. Everyone except for TreeHuggin shot two pistol matches and some of us shot the rifle match.

Beautiful day and just the right temperature.

This was TreeHuggin's first KAPS match.

The GLIPSC team was outstanding.

This was treehuggins first IPSC match. (Not IDPA)
Dom was also there and he was shooting very good.

Houngan
04-23-2007, 05:54
Practice, practice, practice . . .

I'm getting depressed about the single stack, I just haven't allowed enough time to learn this thing. Two missed mag changes (not seating completely) and one jam (dirty chamber, I hope). I'm learning the trigger and when everything comes together, it really hums through an array.

On a happy note, KAPS puts on a good show, I must say. I'll have to attend the rest of their matches this year.

H.

GLW
04-23-2007, 07:11
I feel your pain. I had two jams with my single stack yesterday which I think are magazine related (I hope)! Welcome to the world of 1911s. They really run great, until they don't. All I can say is that it's not a glock. If you keep with it, the problems will smooth out as you gain familiarity. I watched you shoot a stage and you shot it well. I saw the mag drop out at the final position which cost you some time. The same thing happened to me at the Nationals one year and it cost me a top ten finish. I reloaded after not getting one mag seated and tried to make up the time and hit a no shoot in my haste. Ended up 19th overall. Bummer of a way to learn that lesson. They are great guns but are a little quirky, that's why they get there own category!!

The match was great!! The KAPS team has been at this a long time and it shows. Terrific facility, and challenging stages. Well organized. Thanks KAPS! And finally, it was fun shooting with the the local Louisville group. Thanks for letting me tag along.

See you all next month.

Houngan
04-23-2007, 10:07
The mags are my fault, I'm used to Lim10 with extended basepads on a Glock; I can nearly throw them into the magwell, whereas the SS needs a very postive seating to engage the catch.

I scrubbed out the chamber thoroughly last night, so we'll see if it runs smoother during the next practice session.

H.

45gunner
04-23-2007, 16:09
I find that I always have less trouble with guns(1911) that I shoot more frequently than Glock.

Until I got a non extended slide lock for the G35 that I had to bend it to make it narrower to get it away from my thumb I was always hitting the slide lock and the slide would lock back during a match. After that mod I shot the last Kaps match without a single mishap after practcing for about 1 1/2 wks.

I also shot a SS 1911 and my Para 1911 yesterday without a single mishap.

BTW GLW if the way you shot your 1911 was an example of how badly 1911's shoot and run then I wish I always shot as badly as you did.

domzilla9
04-23-2007, 20:25
April Match Results Posted:

http://www.practicalshooters.com/kaps.htm

45gunner
04-24-2007, 04:55
We need to get TreeHuggin to give us tips on long range shooting from prone.

Houngan
04-24-2007, 08:59
Moved my gear over to the CR Speed belt last night, and it made a huge difference in stability of the draw, and thus my initial grip. I'll be shooting tonight, let's see if I've worked out the bugs in this heater.

H.