House vote permits guns in more places [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : House vote permits guns in more places

Zak3056
04-19-2007, 18:49
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_5492294,00.html

NASHVILLE - In a surprise move, a House panel voted Wednesday to repeal a state law that forbids the carrying of handguns on property and buildings owned by state, county and city governments - including parks and playgrounds.

"I think the recent Virginia disaster - or catastrophe or nightmare or whatever you want to call it - has woken up a lot of people to the need for having guns available to law-abiding citizens," said Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains. "I hope that is what this vote reflects."

As amended, the legislation still wouldn't allow guns on school property, however.

More at link.

Rogueplayer
04-19-2007, 18:51
Thanks for the heads up.

bikecop3141
04-21-2007, 14:42
Surprise, surprise, not a word in the Tennessean!!:upeyes:

ecmills
04-22-2007, 14:14
That's nice.

When they let me carry at Chili's, Applebees, TGIFridays, Hueys, and a dozen other restaurants that serve beer, I'll get excited.

Dammit, WHY is it so hard to pass a bill allowing you to carry in a restaurant that's below 50% alcohol profit, assuming you stay completely sober? Sure, there are salient arguments against carrying in a bar (which is why I never visit bars)... but the local burger joint?

That said, if I worked in a State-run building, I'd feel differently. And adding place we can carry is certainly better than taking them away. :)

glockluvr64
04-22-2007, 20:55
I think allowing carry in parks is a big step forward

It'll just take more patience for the restaurant carry, we know
how slow things move in Nashville.

Look how long it took to get a simple lottery

slow ride
04-22-2007, 21:13
If we can win this battle, the restaurant fight will be next; I think.

As long as I'm not drinking, I don't see the big deal. I've never seen the point.

CRUEL HAND LUKE
04-24-2007, 10:27
The point is who has controlled the comittees for the last 140 years.

As long as Jimmy Naifeh and his cronies controlled the committees this was NEVER going to pass. Janet Sontany has also done all she can to stymie any pro gun permit reform legislation from coming to a vote. Several times in the last few years it looked like we had enough votes in the legislature to get stuff passed, but it always got killed in committee before the whole legislature got a chance to vote on it.....

But both Naifeh and Sontany say they support gun rights when they go home and talk to their constituents ....and I can SAY I'm 7 feet tall ,but that doesn't mean it is true.

MrNord
04-24-2007, 21:15
Hopefuly this step forward will not lose momentum in the full vote. The only place I feel that guns should not be permitted is in bars. I hope that this will lead to more freedoms for HGC holders.

Thick45
04-25-2007, 14:17
I don't drink any form of alcohol at all, for any reason. I'm 41 now, and the last drink I had was Champaign, the night I graduated from High School....

Anyway, what I don't like about the current law, and what I'm hoping to see changed, is the prohibition against carrying into restaurants that serve alcohol. As it currently stands, if my wife and I go out to Applebees, I'm supposed to leave my pistol in the car? I don't agree with that....

TNRonin
05-13-2007, 20:02
FWIW I will NEVER carry and drink. With that said, I don't care what Applebees or whoever says. If I'm eating, I'm carrying. I don't display in any form or fashion so they can go on being blissfully ignorant until I intercede in an armed robbery. FWIW, I'm a former LEO/FTO/SWAT and understand fully the use of force.

ETA: I'm glad they are moving forward though.

Akita
05-14-2007, 10:42
Originally posted by TNRonin
FWIW I will NEVER carry and drink. With that said, I don't care what Applebees or whoever says. If I'm eating, I'm carrying. I don't display in any form or fashion so they can go on being blissfully ignorant until I intercede in an armed robbery. FWIW, I'm a former LEO/FTO/SWAT and understand fully the use of force.

ETA: I'm glad they are moving forward though.
I am in the exact same position(-the FTO) as you and agree with you 100%.
Everyone must ask themselves exacty what their life is worth.

TNRonin
05-14-2007, 20:22
I'll take getting kicked out IF they figure out I've got a gun. And I'll take a jury trial if they prosecute me. Hell, I'd do a bench trial in front of the judge. Wouldn't happen in my small town (Cookeville).

Marshall
05-17-2007, 16:29
When the bill gets to the finance committee they will vote it down:

"A second amendment would require governments to post the new rules."

It will cost big bucks to make signs and do all the posting. That's why the second amendment was added. It's a way to defeat the bill.