Recommendations greatly appreciated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations greatly appreciated

slyjackalope
04-20-2007, 17:33
After a long wait, I will finally be commissioned as a first lieutenant in the Army JAG Corps and will be attending the 173rd JAOBC in early July. Today I received a list of potential assignments available to my class and must select my top 8 choices as soon as possible.

Since there seem to be many knowledgeable soldiers and veterans who regularly post on this forum, I thought that it would be a good idea to solicit information and / or recommendations from those that have probably spent a lot of time at these various assignments.

The following is the list of my available choices:
Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
Fort Benning, GA
Fort Bliss, TX
Fort Bragg, NC
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Drum, NY
Europe
Fort Gordon, GA
Hawaii
Fort Hood, TX
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Irwin, CA
Fort Knox, KY
Korea
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Fort Lewis, WA
Fort Meade, MD
Fort Polk, LA
Fort Riley, KS
Fort Rucker, AL
Fort Sam Houston, TX
Fort Sill, OK
Fort Stewart, GA
Fort Wainwright, AK

We were informed that the top five requested assignments on this list are Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Europe, Hawaii, Fort Meade, and Fort Lewis. We were told that we may only select one of the top five and that it is by no means guaranteed that we will get assigned to our first choice.

My present list of selection consists of 1. Europe, 2. Fort Huachuca, and 3. Fort Sam Houston. I have no clue which ones I should list as 4 through 8, or even whether I should change 1 through 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

FDC
04-20-2007, 19:41
Serioously---what are you interested in doing?
Since you're a Jag guy, unit won't really matter.

I'd have Europe and Bragg on the list at least.

slyjackalope
04-20-2007, 19:55
Originally posted by FDC
Serioously---what are you interested in doing?
Since you're a Jag guy, unit won't really matter.

I'd have Europe and Bragg on the list at least.

Eventually, I want to do operational law. However, I've been told that you have to work your way up to that. My experience has been in criminal law, but I'm also interested in international law and administrative law.

On the personal note, I'm pretty flexible with extracurricular activities. Things to do outside would be nice, but I've read that installations in isolated areas have extra facilities on base to compensate.

Sorry for not being very specific in my initial post, but really what I'm asking about is a general, all-around recommendation, based on as many relevant factors as possible. For instance, I've read on one of these forums that firearms are prohibited by the post commander even off post at one of the installations in Alaska. As such, I probably would put that one lower on the list, if at all.

TankerrobM1A1
04-27-2007, 14:54
Stay the hell away from Fort Knox, KY. heh. I spent time there and let me tell you, you will not have a good time there. Very little to do in a social aspect, but operationally you may have something or another pass so close to your desk it will disturb the dust..

60Pilot
04-27-2007, 17:20
If you like doing things outdoors add Ft. Rucker to you list. It is a small post of only about 3000 soldiers, bascialy the only thing here is WOCS and flight school (the reason I'm here), and there are all kind of outdoor activities. Panama City is only 80 miles away. Lake Efuala (hunthing, fishing, camping...etc.)is about and hour and a half away, and there are some great river for fishing canoeing, tubing all around. The town of Enterprise is a farily small town, but Dothan is only about a 30 min. drive and they have just about anything you need there.

I have also been stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC which is a really large post. It was okay but difently not my favorite. And Ft. Sill, OK I hated that place and promised myself I would never go back to the state of OK again.

Bren
05-02-2007, 06:03
I think I would just list Europe 7 times and Hawaii once. I've been to Europe (19+ months and wish I had stayed 20 years) and that's a hard assignment to beat. As for the rest, I've been the Knox, Sill, Bragg, Benning and Leonard Wood for anything from a visit (L. Wood) to a permanent duty station (Bragg) - I can't imagine why anybody would WANT to go to any of them, particularly, but I would put Benning and Bragg first and I see nothing good at all about being stationed at Knox, Sill and LW.

Bren
05-02-2007, 06:05
Originally posted by TankerrobM1A1
Stay the hell away from Fort Knox, KY. heh. I spent time there and let me tell you, you will not have a good time there. Very little to do in a social aspect, but operationally you may have something or another pass so close to your desk it will disturb the dust..

I agree, I live near Ft. Knox and go there for reserve drills - unless you REALLY like the cavalry store, there isn't much to recommend it.

Sigmund79
05-04-2007, 22:55
If you are planning on making a career of the military and you are not married you want to do the following - Deploy! You will get the real JAG experiance you are looking for, not just the hum drum of normal post legal stuff nor will you be stuck doing SRP legal reviews of joes rolling through a mob station or SRP site.

I would do the following.
1) Europe/Hawaii your choice great places to experiance life is never tough for the JAG so you will love it.
2) Korea - You will get this one, but from what I hear it is good duty and is a hardship tour but you will get real experiance. You should get a better say in where you go after your year in Korea. So you get a year of OCONUS duty and a pretty good say where you go after not a bad runner up if you dont get your #1 pick.
3) Any post with a real combat division not some "support" post. Combat arms guys are good guys but they definitly get into trouble and need good people to support them. Again I would want to deploy if you are singe, more money, great experience and great for your career. This means pick as post with a combat arms divison/brigades that are getting ready to deploy pay attention to the news for this one.

Just my $.02

icarian
05-06-2007, 12:45
We ALL have opinions on certain posts and generally there is a consensus. Not always, though. Posts that I've actually lived/PCSd at (or my spouse has in one case) from best to worst and why:

Lewis. positives: Cascades/Rainier/Olympics/Seattle to the north of you. Negatives: traffic sucks, Seattlelites liberal views (generalization obviously) and your ability to deal with the rain (flip side is the weather rarely goes below freezing in the winter and doesn't get too warm in the summer...and the mountains are not too far for the snow). My wife IS more conservative than me and currently finishing up here master's at a rather liberal school (UW-Seattle)...weathered/liked it just fine...and will probably be in for culture shock when she hits Interior Alaska in a month and a half.:rofl:

Sill (ONLY TRADOC post I will rate highly). I know, I know, going against the grain. Positives: BEST MILITARY POW Range I've EVER had the pleasure of shooting at. I was there in 2000-2001...hopefully MWR hasn't changed that range. The onpost elk herd, The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge--yeah, they are true mountains, too, with a LARGE free roaming buffalo herd, elk, and long horn cattle, Meer's Restaurant, Geronimo's grave (and the associated long run to it in the morn), the prairie dogs--cute to look at...for me without a gun...for others, through a scope. :wavey: Negatives: Lawton and the heat in the summer.

Wainwright (probably tied with Campbell). Positives: outdoors and how the locals feel about guns (negative is my Commanding General is anti-guns/CCW and made a policy to prove it), the late spring/summer/early fall. Negatives: winter temps, home prices for what you get (this occurs at most military posts not in the deep south), and that you will most likely spend alot of cash on toys to get outside (MTB, ATV, Snowmachine)...positives occur when you have them and get out in the bush--primarily with the ATV in summer, sled in winter).

Campbell. Positives: the 101st (IMO), the quarry south of Woodlawn that everyone used to shoot at, Nashville. Negatives: an hour from Nashville, no mountains.

Bragg. Positives: XVIII ABC/82d. Negatives: Fayetteville, Sandhills, middle of it all...and close to none of it.

Rucker. Positives: home of Army Aviation--my branch, but not yours...mileage may vary on that. Quite a bit to do outdoors...none of it being absolutely spetacular imo. Negatives: TRADOC and all that envisions, flat area filled with southern pine trees, your "escape" is to Dothan?! Okay, okay, the water babies will quote Panama City being an hour and a half a way...yeah to the first signs saying "PCB"...don't kid yourself, it is two to two and a half hours to the actual water/beach.

Korea (over three years there). Positives: alcohol intake?, Korea is very technologically advanced/wired. Negatives: married, most likely will be there unaccompanied, alcohol intake?!, wherever you go, someone else will be near (population density), 2ID in Area I--wore the Indianhead for over two years--I can rate saying that, non deployable to OEF/OIF (for the vast majority...ole 2d Bde guys might contend that...Army decided to send the unit CONUS...with a deployment in between--how f'd is that).

Remember: TRADOC, most don't deploy. FORSCOM/actual units (versus trainers) are in the deployment rotation. You go to Hooahchuca, you MIGHT deploy individually, but most likely wont deploy as a unit. Deployments suck, but not even really being available for the deployment pool kinda sucks in my opinion.

Okay, done now--sorry for the long post. Hopefully it helps about the posts I could intelligently discuss.

Originally posted by slyjackalope

Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
Fort Benning, GA
Fort Bliss, TX
Fort Bragg, NC
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Drum, NY
Europe
Fort Gordon, GA
Hawaii
Fort Hood, TX
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Irwin, CA
Fort Knox, KY
Korea
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Fort Lewis, WA
Fort Meade, MD
Fort Polk, LA
Fort Riley, KS
Fort Rucker, AL
Fort Sam Houston, TX
Fort Sill, OK
Fort Stewart, GA
Fort Wainwright, AK

We were informed that the top five requested assignments on this list are Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Europe, Hawaii, Fort Meade, and Fort Lewis. We were told that we may only select one of the top five and that it is by no means guaranteed that we will get assigned to our first choice.

My present list of selection consists of 1. Europe, 2. Fort Huachuca, and 3. Fort Sam Houston. I have no clue which ones I should list as 4 through 8, or even whether I should change 1 through 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated. [/B]

slyjackalope
05-16-2007, 15:56
Thank you all very much for your recommendations. I just found out today that I've been assigned to Fort Hood, so I'm very happy that I got one pretty high up on my list.

bburgi
05-16-2007, 21:36
-----

OttoGudd
05-17-2007, 07:51
you didn't choose Ft. Campbell?
:shocked:

slyjackalope
05-17-2007, 15:08
Originally posted by OttoGudd
you didn't choose Ft. Campbell?
:shocked:
Fort Campbell was 5th on my list, but Fort Hood was 4th and the LTC in charge of the Judge Advocate Recruiting Office was nice enough to assign me to a post as high up on my list as she possibly could.

speepdaedeesi
06-07-2007, 23:12
dont go to drum. im here now. it sucks. snow snow snow, 4 months of summer, snow snow snow. dont worry about the summer, youll be in iraq. and dont buy a nice car before coming or while here. the salt will have its way with it lol.

jeff copeland
09-02-2007, 08:16
[
Sill (ONLY TRADOC post I will rate highly). I know, I know, going against the grain. Positives: BEST MILITARY POW Range I've EVER had the pleasure of shooting at. I was there in 2000-2001...hopefully MWR hasn't changed that range. The onpost elk herd, The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge--yeah, they are true mountains, too, with a LARGE free roaming buffalo herd, elk, and long horn cattle, Meer's Restaurant, Geronimo's grave (and the associated long run to it in the morn), the prairie dogs--cute to look at...for me without a gun...for others, through a scope. :wavey: Negatives: Lawton and the heat in the summer.

i love the meer's burger! i think i need to go back.
Last one 1997 or so.

ft sill 1996-1997

Ghost-1
09-07-2007, 04:36
Originally posted by bburgi
Welcome to Texas!

Yeah welcome and be glad you got got Hood instead of Bliss. TRUST ME ON THIS YOU DO NOT EVER WANT TO GO TO BLISS!!!!!! I am hopeing and praying that when we redeploy I will be getting the hell out of there.

slyjackalope
09-07-2007, 18:45
Originally posted by Hunter1
Yeah welcome and be glad you got got Hood instead of Bliss. TRUST ME ON THIS YOU DO NOT EVER WANT TO GO TO BLISS!!!!!! I am hopeing and praying that when we redeploy I will be getting the hell out of there.

I was glad to get Hood, but I'm not going there (for right now at least). I'm finishing up the JAOBC and one of my fellow classmates needed to trade with me for family issues. I'm going to Riley now.

I know what you mean about Bliss. I'm getting a crash course in Army bases from speaking with all of the prior service guys and I hear it ranks right up there with Polk. Good luck getting out of there. :)

nothing
09-07-2007, 19:03
I can't believe you even put Polk and Irwin on the list. Put a line through them immediately :shocked: Do whatever it takes to stay away from these. Statement, Act or Marriage mean nothing if nobody tells :supergrin: