Recommendations greatly appreciated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations greatly appreciated

slyjackalope
04-20-2007, 19:18
After a long wait, I will finally be commissioned as a first lieutenant in the Army JAG Corps and will be attending the 173rd JAOBC in early July. Today I received a list of potential assignments available to my class and must select my top 8 choices as soon as possible.

Since there seem to be many knowledgeable soldiers and veterans who regularly post on this forum, I thought that it would be a good idea to solicit information and / or recommendations from those that have probably spent a lot of time at these various assignments.

The following is the list of my available choices:
Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
Fort Benning, GA
Fort Bliss, TX
Fort Bragg, NC
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Drum, NY
Europe
Fort Gordon, GA
Hawaii
Fort Hood, TX
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Irwin, CA
Fort Knox, KY
Korea
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Fort Lewis, WA
Fort Meade, MD
Fort Polk, LA
Fort Riley, KS
Fort Rucker, AL
Fort Sam Houston, TX
Fort Sill, OK
Fort Stewart, GA
Fort Wainwright, AK

We were informed that the top five requested assignments on this list are Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Europe, Hawaii, Fort Meade, and Fort Lewis. We were told that we may only select one of the top five and that it is by no means guaranteed that we will get assigned to our first choice.

My present list of selection consists of 1. Europe, 2. Fort Huachuca, and 3. Fort Sam Houston. I have no clue which ones I should list as 4 through 8, or even whether I should change 1 through 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

WIG19
05-15-2007, 13:55
All this expertise around and no one's answered yet? OK, I'll have a go...

Stay away from Hawaii, very gun UN-friendly. :upeyes:
Likewise Ft Drum, if you want to travel. Nothing against the post but if the 10th Mtn Div gets their hooks in you it's tough to escape.

On the up-side...
Your first 3 choices so far are all excellent, and in that order. (I love the area around Huachuca and 8 of the best - and wildest & challenging - years of my live were in Europe.)

If you like to hunt at all, you should definitely put Ft Wainright, AK on the list. Likewise, Ft Leonard Wood, MO is a good central location and lots of outdoor stuff if you're into that sort of thing. (You didn't say much about what you're looking to get out of a particular location.)

Congratulations! Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

:patriot:

bburgi
05-15-2007, 14:17
-----

slyjackalope
05-16-2007, 16:04
Thank you both very much for your recommendations. I just found out today that I've been assigned to Fort Hood, so I'm very happy that I got one pretty high up on my list. It should be really fun to be centrally located in Texas.