hit a bump with wifes car... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hit a bump with wifes car...

true believer
04-20-2007, 23:25
riped a hole in trans cover pan...any ideal of cost? it a 07 chevy hhr..
bob

Bushflyr
04-20-2007, 23:46
Figure out what tranny it has then snag one from a junk yard. Chevy's tend to share a lot of major components so it's likely that there are already a lot of wrecks with a little pan just waiting to be given a new lease on life. OTOH, the scrappers may not want to separate a pan from the tranny, so YMMV.

IslandHopper
04-23-2007, 07:59
Is it too late to just park it in the garage like nothing happened ? ... Let the tansmission sieze when SHE takes it out for a drive!

But seriously, are you looking for just the pan and doing the work yourself, or the cost of having the whole thing done ?
The pan itself should be fairly reasonable (less than $100, purchased from a dealer). But having the job done will be pricey. I'm not intimately familiar with the HHR, but there's a 50/50 chance the engine/trans will have to be dismounted to accomplish that job. Doesn't mean it's not a DIY job, just adds to the labor cost at a shop.

rhikdavis
04-23-2007, 08:12
and no more off-roading!

Dtrain323i
04-27-2007, 11:21
trade GM car in and buy a BMW :supergrin:

Bowtie
04-28-2007, 13:00
Originally posted by Dtrain323i
trade GM car in and buy a BMW :supergrin:
Yeah that way you can spend twice as much to maintain it..

Dtrain323i
04-28-2007, 18:59
Hate to say in man, but a BMW isn't that much more expensive than your chevy to maintain. Yeah some parts are a little outrageous when it comes to price but if you do basic maintinence yourself it'll last twice as long as your domestic crapbox and wont cost you all that much more. Case in point: I didn't have to replace the clutch on my 1994 325i until 150,000 miles when the TOB went out. The only time in recent history of BMWs taking a dump is the late 90s early 2000s 3-series automatic transmissions....but that was because they sourced their autos from GM. You take care of it, your bimmer will take care of you.

Bowtie
04-29-2007, 10:52
Crap Box? Man arent you a ray of *****in sunshine.Bmw require synthetic oil,Not that its a bad thing but much more $$$.Get on the phone and price a Cat. converter for that car of yours because when not if you need one your going to have to take a second morgage out to replace them.Brake pads are three times as much due to the fact that they have the elec.wear sensors in them.A good size pothole will set off all kinds of chassis codes but you wont know what triggered the light till you spend big $ getting it diagnosed.Naw thats ok I'll stick to my crap box Chevy.It'll get me anywhere your's will without that high $ look at me everbody I drive a beamer smile.Have a nice day.:thumbsup:

Dtrain323i
04-29-2007, 17:08
I've hit potholes and it's never triggered these alleged "chassis codes" that you speak of. And those expensive brakes? I just replaced 4 rotors, 4 pads and both of those wear sensors. Those "expensive" sensors are all of 12 dollars. My pads were a little more costly because they're performance ceramic pads and the rotors were brembos. Go ahead and enjoy your chevy it's gonna be tough finding parts when GM goes out of business. :D

Bowtie
04-29-2007, 17:12
GM out of business.:animlol: Now thats funny.

ecmills
05-07-2007, 12:52
Originally posted by true believer
riped a hole in trans cover pan...any ideal of cost? it a 07 chevy hhr..
bob

It'll be costly. It's the labor that'll kill you if you're not doing it youself.

It's probably cast aluminum, not stamped steel. I've fixed them before with JB-Weld for guys who were completely broke. It actually works very well, as long as you clean the pan VERY well, it's only got a small hole, and you've got all of the pieces to play jigsaw-puzzle. :)

wolfpack_5150
05-21-2007, 00:01
Originally posted by Dtrain323i
I've hit potholes and it's never triggered these alleged "chassis codes" that you speak of. And those expensive brakes? I just replaced 4 rotors, 4 pads and both of those wear sensors. Those "expensive" sensors are all of 12 dollars. My pads were a little more costly because they're performance ceramic pads and the rotors were brembos. Go ahead and enjoy your chevy it's gonna be tough finding parts when GM goes out of business. :D

Grow up, all vehicles have known issues. Imports and domestics alike....Wasnt the E36 or was it the 46 known to mis-shift due to crappy mounts and engine torque? Causing many people to hit... was it 1st instead of 3rd and revving the hell out of the motor and uh, killing it?
I know the 7series maybe early 90's had the cylinder lining issue?
Heres a few other satisfied BMW owners
BMW (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw_trans.html) Seems as though the 3series haul ass going forward but dont like to back up?

Trust me, I would love to own a M5 someday.....Get off your high horse though. No vehicle is perfect or there would be no TSB's, warranties, blah blah blah.

Dtrain323i
05-21-2007, 18:02
Originally posted by wolfpack_5150
Grow up, all vehicles have known issues. Imports and domestics alike....Wasnt the E36 or was it the 46 known to mis-shift due to crappy mounts and engine torque? Causing many people to hit... was it 1st instead of 3rd and revving the hell out of the motor and uh, killing it?
I know the 7series maybe early 90's had the cylinder lining issue?
Heres a few other satisfied BMW owners
BMW (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw_trans.html) Seems as though the 3series haul ass going forward but dont like to back up?

Trust me, I would love to own a M5 someday.....Get off your high horse though. No vehicle is perfect or there would be no TSB's, warranties, blah blah blah.

Trust me I've been a BMW owner long enough to know that they have their own little quirks. I'm more familiar with E36 and E46 3 series models so I can't comment on the cylinder issues on the 7. As for that reverse issue on the early E46, that only cropped up on cars equipped with a GM sourced transmission. I have a 99 323i which was the first year they offered an E46 body style, but mine is a manual which is made by ZF. My old E36 had the original clutch last until 150k. It worked PERFECTLY until the throwout bearing went. But I also know that the early E46 have fun little issues like the driver side window regulator likes to quit, or the brake light switch issue on the E36. But BMWs have a feeling to them that is unlike driving any other car in the world. Until American made cars have the quality that they used to 30 years ago, I'll stick to german cars.

wolfpack_5150
05-21-2007, 23:02
a GM sourced transmission?

Thats funny, not calling BS either..Just funny, i wish that wasnt true but a simple search proves what you say. How stupid, Pay for a premium vehicle and get a substandard transmission? WHy the hell would they do that? I guess we all make mistakes.:crazy: