Shooting with my wife out at Lone Rock - PICS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with my wife out at Lone Rock - PICS

TylerDurden
04-22-2007, 23:38
Finally got a chance to go out to the desert and give the CAR-15 a workout. Had a great time and my wife took some pretty good pics with the hills in the background.

The CAR-15 is kind of a mixmaster with a DSA lower and a Bushmaster upper. The flash suppressor is a slipover model that gives it a shorty look but retains a good 14-15" of rifled barrel - the suppressor steps down and is mated flush with the HBAR unlike some I've seen that have a gap.

The rifle did really well with a variety of ammo: 50 grain Federal HP, 55 grain Federal AE, 55 grain Guatemalan M193 and 62 grain Radway Green. No failures through 300 rounds (including 100 rapid fire) and all ammo types were pretty accurate.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/stalingradseven/CAR-15desert-wide.jpg

Also put a couple hundred of rounds through the stainless XD9. No failures (I replaced the striker retaining pin after my last range session) and it seemed to like the WWB 147 grain HP which will become my new carry load.

If you look closely, you can see that my wife caught the pic with the slide in motion and a casing in the air - pretty cool.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/stalingradseven/XD9Desert-wide.jpg

Last, but not least, my lovely wife had a lot of fun with the 60 year old Winchester 62A (my favorite .22 rifle) and was really quite good for a new shooter. She also picked up my brass for me while I was shooting the other guns. :hearts:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/stalingradseven/Stephshooting.jpg

Steve Koski
04-22-2007, 23:41
Nice pics man!

I love those old trombone 22's!

Cokeman
04-22-2007, 23:52
Where is Lone Rock?

TylerDurden
04-23-2007, 08:56
Originally posted by Steve Koski
Nice pics man!

I love those old trombone 22's!

Thanks, that Winchester is gonna be in the family for a long time.

TylerDurden
04-23-2007, 09:00
Originally posted by Cokeman
Where is Lone Rock?

It's on the North end of Skull Valley, just south of I-80 about 40 miles west of SLC. It's BLM land and a fairly popular spot for ATVs, and shooting.

RMTactical
04-23-2007, 11:36
Awesome pictures. I love it.

GixxerSixxer
04-23-2007, 15:10
Originally posted by Cokeman
Where is Lone Rock?

I believe you take West I-80 out to the Iosepa exit. There's an abandoned gas station right at the exit.

ElConquistador
04-23-2007, 18:23
Weaver is so yesterday .

You do know that your stock will stretch out right?

...oh no, I'm being overly critical again aren't I???

Looks like a nice spot.

reerc
04-24-2007, 18:46
Ah, quality time with the Mrs.

Good for you!

:hearts:

JGoates
04-27-2007, 16:05
Be careful there man. I was once shooting close to where you were using lone rock as my backstop and low and behold two dudes on ATV's parked on top of Lone rock (my backstop) and sat there intending to watch me shoot. :shocked: I just left.
The trouble with lone rock is there are trails to the top of it.

I think the better place to shoot is to the east there up against the hills, although I have met up with an overzealous BLM agent who instructed me to step away from my truck via the intercom on his truck so he could "inspect" my guns. He just gave them a once over, probably looking for filed off serial numbers or something..?? He then proceeded to remind me to pack out all my trash (which I always do) and gave me a trash bag.

Cokeman
06-16-2007, 00:42
I took some pictures of my wife last week. She didn't take good ones of me so I won't post them.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/cowfishlover/DSC00125.jpg

I took this one as she shot. The camera clicked as the gun went bang. The gun is either coming up or going down right after the gun fired. I timed it so perfect that I expected to see the slide moving back in the picture.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/cowfishlover/DSC00127.jpg

She bought a porcelain rabbit at Easter and dropped it and broke it as she entered the house right after buying it. Her first thought was "I'm going to shoot it". She finally did last weekend.

GlockRik
06-16-2007, 01:11
Cokeman, lovely wife. If the slide gets into her thumb, it could easily break it.
Rik

Steve Koski
06-16-2007, 06:30
Nice pics Coke!

Cokeman
06-16-2007, 10:39
Originally posted by GlockRik
Cokeman, lovely wife. If the slide gets into her thumb, it could easily break it.
Rik

She actually shoots very well. She holds the gun perfectly but I always have to remind her to keep her finger off the trigger until she is ready to shoot.

Steve Koski
06-16-2007, 14:35
Seen lots of thumbs cut, never seen or heard of one broke.

RMTactical
06-17-2007, 12:49
My cousin split open the webbing between his thumb and index finger on my G27 pretty bad when I first bought it. I had told him just moments prior that he should reposition his grip with his weak hand... and I must have not been paying attention because I let him shoot it with his hand/thumb back there...

OUCH!!

Cokeman
06-17-2007, 19:51
I worked with her again yesterday to get her to put that thumb forward instead of around the back of the gun. She usually does it right but seems to switch from time to time.

G27Chief
06-17-2007, 19:54
Nice to see couples enjoying shooting together

ElConquistador
06-18-2007, 16:40
Originally posted by RMTactical
My cousin split open the webbing between his thumb and index finger on my G27 pretty bad when I first bought it. I had told him just moments prior that he should reposition his grip with his weak hand... and I must have not been paying attention because I let him shoot it with his hand/thumb back there...

OUCH!!

I hope he didn't get blood on the 27.