Florida suppressor laws [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Florida suppressor laws

rolf2
04-24-2007, 15:33
Is it legal to purchase a suppressor in Florida?
What about local laws? (I live inside Miami city limits -so that may have restriction I suppose.)

Thanks!
:)

65Mustang
04-24-2007, 16:01
I did a quick Google search and I found that the following is a list of states that do not allow the ownership of suppressors unless you are exempt (assume LEO, or military)

California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont

Now the funny part is the website appears to come out of the UK:shocked:

Link (http://www.thegunshop.co.uk/silencer.htm)

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more accurate information.

:cool:

65Mustang
04-24-2007, 16:10
Ok... so I realized that the link I posted was actually to a airsoft website. However, after a little more research I found this:

(M30) Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms? [Back]

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm... Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax.

uh... wow.:upeyes:

65Mustang
04-24-2007, 16:23
Back on topic...

I found this Link (http://www.awcsystech.com/civiliansales.html) That appears to say it is legal to own in Fl.

I also looked at the Florida statutes but didn't see anything there. See this Link (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm&StatuteYear=2000&Title=%2D%3E2000%2D%3EChapter%20790)

Unless someone can provide a link directly, I would contact your local sheriff and ask the question.

Dual_40's
04-24-2007, 17:35
theyre sold at gun shows every day to people with nothing but a drivers license. Florida allows the sale and use of suppressors.

Usingmyrights
04-24-2007, 21:47
Originally posted by Dual_40's
theyre sold at gun shows every day to people with nothing but a drivers license. Florida allows the sale and use of suppressors.

Not legally. You need to send a Form 4 to the ATF along, with $200 and a blessing from the county sheriff. After 6 months or so you can an approval and with that approval you can then legally buy your suppressor

G31
05-03-2007, 20:18
Yep, requires an ATF F4 and $200. Florida has a preemption law, so local gov'ts can't regulate further than what state law allows.

Usingmyrights
05-03-2007, 20:24
Originally posted by G31
Yep, requires an ATF F4 and $200. Florida has a preemption law, so local gov'ts can't regulate further than what state law allows.

You still need the sheriff/cheif LEO so sign off on it. From what I've heard, here in Jax the sheriff will sign on a suppressor but not a full auto.

El Duderino
05-03-2007, 21:37
Set up a trust. No CLEO signature needed.