Michigan 2007 Spring Turkey Hunting Report! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan 2007 Spring Turkey Hunting Report!

Michigun
04-26-2007, 07:16
Well guys, my turkey hunt started this past Monday... I’m working 3rd shift right now so I’m out looking for long beards about 2 hours too late.

Monday I saw 6 different gobblers between 8 & 11 a.m., but I was always too late or in the wrong spot to set up on any of them... so I decided to try a different approach for Tuesday morning’s hunt.

On Tuesday morning I took 6 of my decoys & set them up in a field which has always been a good crossing spot... I was all set up by 8:15 am & was happy to find that there were no turkeys already there. I decided I was going to stay there till at least 1:30 pm before picking up shop & heading home to bed. At about 9:45 am a lone hen entered the field heading my way about 200 yards out... when she was at around the 60-yard mark I caught movement to my right... a nice tom in full strut at 84-yards! (Laser range finder. :thumbsup: ) As I was working on positioning myself for a shot in that direction 7 hens & 1 more nice tom came into view from the same direction... SWEET! The toms stayed off to the right, out of range, in full strut, but I knew it was just a matter of time before they made some kind of move as all 8 hens were interested in what my 6 decoys were doing & coming right in. It looked for just a bit that both gobblers might pass out in front just out of my shotgun’s range, but a few minutes later the larger of the 2 toms tucked it all back in & hot footed it into 24-yards where I gave him a full dose of 3" #4 Hevi-Shot... he dropped right there! :dancing:

He ended up having a 11-1/4" beard, 1" spurs & weighed in at 23-1/2 lbs. :supergrin:

Here are the mandatory ;) pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/Hunting/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/Hunting/2.jpg

Good luck to all you turkey hunters!

noway
04-26-2007, 18:33
NIce job, I plan on buying more decoys to make the hens and toms more welcome for next season.

Q: when you place decoys in this setting , did you do any calling and if so what did you use?

Michigun
04-27-2007, 12:48
Originally posted by noway
NIce job...

Thanks sir!

Originally posted by noway
Q: when you place decoys in this setting , did you do any calling and if so what did you use?

I did zero calling myself... my thoughts are that they’re coming to that field anyways no matter what & that when they see my decoys they’re gonna stop by for a visit... so far it has worked out that way every time turkeys have shown up. :supergrin:

(On a side note... a few years back I set up the exact same way, in the exact same place & ended up falling asleep about an hour into the hunt. By my guesstimation I was out for 30 minutes & when I woke up I found a VERY nice mature tom strutting around in my decoys... yeah, he didn't make it. ;) )

nyredneck
04-27-2007, 22:07
Nice bird!!!:thumbsup:

gemini
05-03-2007, 19:10
Shot my bird 04/28/07. Used decoys and my Remington 870 with Remington Turkey loads 6 shot. Shot the bird at 56 yds. He had a
9 15/16" beard, 13/16" spurs each and weighed 20 lb.

File was to big to send a picture. Sorry.

Good Luck to those still hunting and to those who have the late hunt.