Favorite Places to camp?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Places to camp??

Walter45Auto
04-26-2007, 10:00
Allright, folks. The title says it. What are your favorite places to camp?? I'm a big fan of Mineral Wells State Park. There's a privately owned camping park outside of Glenrose/Granbury called Tres Rios Park that's really nice, however small. Rusk/Palestine State Park is a nice one. Cooper Lake State Park is a good place to camp, too. Mineral Wells has been my favorite so far.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

kafromet
04-26-2007, 11:38
I used to love going down to the Guadalupe River, camping and tubing, but it got so eaten up with tourists and litter that I haven't been in several years.

I've hear the Frio River (which I believe Garner State Park borders on) is great.

Ol' Dirty
04-26-2007, 21:17
Garner is great for the tubing and hiking, but Big Bend is spectacular. It's a long drive from anywhere, but once you get there you will have no regrets.

nuparadigm
04-27-2007, 04:52
I've always enjoyed Lake Texana State Park.

Gumbo
04-27-2007, 21:17
Bastrop State Park

Inks Lake

Garner State Park

Big Bend...in a league of it's own

hank327
04-29-2007, 12:34
Garner State Park is great and the nearby Lost Maples Recreational Area is just about as nice if not prettier.

Big Bend is wonderful. It's worth the drive to get there.

Walter45Auto
05-03-2007, 14:30
:bump:

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

Minuteman
05-03-2007, 15:37
First Place that comes to mind:
-Guadalupe Mnt park on the border with new mexico. It's small, the campsite are close together..., but the location and view are second to none. Stunning!
Bring a telescope or binocs. The air is so clear you can see mountains ranges on the moon with cheap binocs.
Sunrise/sunset painted on those mountains is something I will never forget.
You can visit the awesome Calrsbad Caverns just across the border in New Mexico, about 1 hour away from the park. Very cool.

Also
-Enchaneted Rock near Fredricksburg, north of san marcos. Very cool little old german town, home of the LBJ, Nimitz and other cool museums. The town is just 10 blocks long, with at least 3 major museums! Plus cool little local shops.
Enchanted Rock has great camping, backpacking and some of the best rock climbing in Texas. The "Enchanted Rock" is a giant granite formation that "glows" slightly when the moon hits the mountain just right, viewed from the right angle. Old navite American site, you can still find arrowheads sometimes. Lots of wildlife, backed up against a large wildlife sanctuary, that you can see but not enter.
I like to back pack 2-3 miles to the back of the park and you leave 99% of the tourists behind.

-Big Bend, ya' gotta' go at least once. Huge! Backback for weeks.
I rafted the Rio Grande thru the park. Also visit Terlingua Texas, cool town, home of the International Chili Cook Off.
Stay away from the brownsevill/matorose border area. Looks good on the map, but don't go there. Trust me.

:patriot:

(eddited to add: Enchanted Rock is only about 2 hours from Dallas.

ranchonodinero
05-05-2007, 07:59
Rochelle's at the "dark valley" bridge on FM4 on the Brazos. Primitive, but if you like the river it is very nice. Miserable Wells is O.K.-no one mentioned Possum Kingdom state park. Very nice and one of the prettiest places and off the beaten path is the state park at Bend, Texas on the Colorado-it is paradise at the end of 12 miles of gravel road.