S.C. Bill would allow CWP holders to carry in schools [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S.C. Bill would allow CWP holders to carry in schools

walrus108
04-26-2007, 21:43
(click here)H3964 (http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/3964.htm)

There is a bill now in the house judiciary committee that would allow concealed carry in schools statewide for CWP holders.

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 - 07:05 PM

BY Mackenzie Taylor

A bill that is currently at the Statehouse in Columbia would allow anyone with a concealable weapons permit to carry a concealed weapon while on the property of any public school, from elementary schools to colleges.

Kris Crawford, R-District 63, is one of the billís sponsors. Crawford said the bill was drafted for several reasons, including in response to the Virginia Tech shootings last week.

According to the state Law Enforcement Divisionís website, residents who wish to obtain a concealable weapons permit must be at least 21 years old and "not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon."

Applicants must also, among other requirements, complete a special training course and pass a background check. Fingerprints are also screened by law officials.

Jamie Norman, whose family owns Normanís Guns and Sporting Goods in Florence County, currently holds a concealable weapons permit. He said he believes the bill would be a good idea.

"Thatís in our constitutional right to bear arms and I feel like if they got a concealed weapons permit, they ought to be able to tote one," said Norman on Wednesday afternoon.

Sarah Richey said she thinks the bill is a bad idea. Richey has three children in public schools and said she often worries about their safety. She said she doesnít think the bill is the answer, though, to better school security.

"I donít agree with that unless theyíre law enforcement and are actually on duty," said Richey. "I donít think thereís any reason why they should carry a weapon into any school."

Currently, there are restrictions on where permit holders can carry concealed weapons. Law enforcement facilities, courtrooms, and daycare facilities are among those restricted locations.

The bill is currently in the House Judiciary Committee.

source (http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlantic/scp/local_news.apx.-content-articles-BTW-2007-04-25-0011.html)

It's time for all of us to work our representatives ears and get this passed. If we email and call our representatives in our home districts as well as every member of the Judiciary Committee we can get this to the floor for a vote. If we all get all our gun buddies to do the same we can get it passed through both houses and the Gov will sign it. The media hasn't made a big deal of this so far. They want to sweep it under the rug so we don't activate and push our reps to make this happen. I believe the support is there. We need to put the fear of god into our reps, let them know we're watching and that we VOTE. If we sit back and see what happens nothing is likely to. I encourage all of you to also join Grassroots South Carolina (http://www.scfirearms.org/) also. This is where our numbers are counted and our lawyers are hired. This organization has done more to fight for expanding our god given rights than any other here is SC. Here's a link (http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/) to find your reps office phone numbers AND email addresses. We can do this. Who's gonna step up???

Hef
04-27-2007, 13:40
I've called my rep and expressed my support for this bill. I also asked him to consider adding my "guns-in-bars" revision to the bill as a rider, if it makes sense strategically.

walrus108
04-28-2007, 17:16
That's it? ONE reply post? I had hoped to see dozens of "I just called and emailed mine" responses by now. Must be you guys don't mind being disarmed when picking up your kids at school(when you most likely might need it). I hope I'm wrong but with enthusiasm like this, the bills doomed. :sad:

The Pontificator
04-28-2007, 17:29
Predictably, the Myrtle Beach Sun-Times released an anti-carry editorial on the "guns in schools" issue. They've always been a liberal crap rag.

jim2037
04-29-2007, 04:30
Good Job! I wasnt even aware this bill existed. I have called and emailed my reps and expressed my support for this bill. Since my girlfriend works in NC schools I hope that NC will soon follow suit.

Jim

Greycat
04-30-2007, 03:01
Didn't know this bill was out there. I've just e-mailed my House Rep, and will send something to our senator so he will be aware of this legistlation as well.

Thanks for pointing this out....

G

paradoxpictures
04-30-2007, 19:13
I read somewhere that Governor Sanford has stated that he will veto this bill if it passes. I truly hope I'm misinformed. Does anyone have any info on this?

walrus108
04-30-2007, 19:54
Originally posted by paradoxpictures
I read somewhere that Governor Sanford has stated that he will veto this bill if it passes. I truly hope I'm misinformed. Does anyone have any info on this?

I've heard the opposite. Judging from his record I would guess that he would sign it. But these days, NOTHING would surprise me. Let's all call him too. A few thousand calls in favor might rattle his cage a bit.

Tomorrow I am probably going to be talking to Nelson Hardwick, the representative for my district and one of the co-sponsors of this bill. I will be asking him what house members are on the fence and need a little push. I will take names and numbers so we can all have the info we need to try to influence their decisions. If the State government perceives an active support, they are likely to pass this. Tell your pro gun friends and relatives.

hawk0484
05-01-2007, 15:27
I just completed my contacts to my state representative and senator.

GAFFN1
05-01-2007, 18:39
Done.....I think if someone takes the time and effort to get their CWP they should be able to carry in class...as well as restaurants where alcohol is served! Bars need not have knuckleheads toting guns in them....way too many dumbasses out there!!!!!

walrus108
05-03-2007, 16:59
We've gained 2 co-sponsors!

The sad thing is we lost one for some reason. Please call and email Representative Denny Woodall Neilson (female) and express your disappointment and ask that she get back on board. E-Mail Address: DWN@schouse.org, Home (843) 393-2079, Bus.(803) 734-3097

The other cool thing I didn't see before is it's set to go into effect upon the Governors signature.

H. 3964

STATUS INFORMATION

General Bill
Sponsors: Reps. Duncan, Loftis, G.R. Smith, Hinson, Crawford, Lowe, Bedingfield, Barfield, Chellis, Clemmons, Delleney, Hardwick, Hiott, Merrill, Scarborough, Witherspoon, Rice and Owens
Document Path: l:\council\bills\swb\5266cm07.doc

Introduced in the House on April 24, 2007
Currently residing in the House Committee on Judiciary

Summary: Concealed weapon permits

HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS

Date Body Action Description with journal page number
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4/24/2007 House Introduced and read first time HJ-111
4/24/2007 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-111
5/1/2007 House Member(s) request name removed as sponsor: Neilson
5/2/2007 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Rice, Owens

View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site

VERSIONS OF THIS BILL

4/24/2007

(Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)

A BILL

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 23-31-250 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON WHO POSSESSES A CONCEALABLE WEAPONS PERMIT MAY CARRY A CONCEALABLE WEAPON ON HIS PERSON WHILE ON THE PREMISES OR PROPERTY OF A PUBLIC EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION; AND TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS, SO AS TO DELETE THE RESTRICTIONS PLACED UPON CARRYING A CONCEALABLE WEAPON INTO A SCHOOL OR COLLEGE EVENT.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 23-31-250. Notwithstanding another provision of law, a person who possesses a concealable weapons permit issued by this State or another state pursuant to Section 23-31-215(N) may carry a concealable weapon on his person while on the premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a public school, elementary school, secondary school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution."

SECTION 2. Section 23-31-215(M) of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

"(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre-school facility;

(8)(7) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9)(8) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10)(9) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

A person who wilfully violates a provision of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.

Nothing contained herein may be construed to alter or affect the provisions of Sections 10-11-320, 16-23-420, 16-23-430, 16-23-465, 44-23-1080, 44-52-165, 50-9-830, and 51-3-145."

SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

SnapCraklePOP
05-03-2007, 23:09
I didnt know this Bill was out there. I work for a TV station in the upstate and will try to push to get a story on air and spread the good word even more.

walrus108
05-06-2007, 17:16
Everybody please go here and ACT on another very important bill. We need to make our voices heard!

GAFFN1
05-06-2007, 17:24
Originally posted by walrus108
Everybody please go here and ACT on another very important bill. We need to make our voices heard!

Where too?

walrus108
05-07-2007, 15:29
Oops! Sorry about that. http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=695394

hawk0484
05-08-2007, 07:32
I saw something about this on this morning's local news (NBC-WYFF channel 4) on the ticker at the bottom of the screen. It said something to the effect that 20 lawmakers are backing the bill.

walrus108
05-09-2007, 14:41
We added another 2 sponsors to this bill today! Let's keep those phone calls and emails coming. We seem to be gaining some momentum. :supergrin: :banana:

Bullwinkle J Moose
05-23-2007, 18:51
Yesterday at the House Judiciary Committee, this bill was amended by Rep. Crawford to allow only CWP holders to have a weapon on a campus if in their glove box, console, trunk, locked container and under the seat (this part was added by Rep. Rutherford*). Crawford offered this amendment to salvage some benefit to CWP holders. The bill as written would have been killed had this amendment not been accepted. Rep.s Viers and Clemmons argued hard in favor of the original bill. It's not what many wanted, but it at least will allow, if it becomes law, parents to drop off and pick up kids without having to travel unarmed. The bill was passed and will now go to the Senate.

I don't like the idea of having to unholster and hide the piece and am hoping the Senate changes it to allow carry in cars as well.

* Rep Ritherford said the reason for this is is two-fold. He's had to defend many of his "law-abiding" constituents who got busted with a gun under the seat and his GFs car pockets and console were filled with trash and made it hard to stash his gun. Maybe it just me, but if they were really law-abiding, would they have been violating the law about where to stash their gun? BTW Rutherford appeared on CNN twice last week howling about this bill flooding our schools with guns and would create VT type massacres.:upeyes:

AB1136
03-21-2008, 16:53
Has anyone heard if this bill is coming back up for vote this session? I felt this bill was more important than H3212....

bagballa
03-30-2008, 15:54
Ok I'm not to savvy when it comes to laws and bills or what not. Did this already get passed? Can I carry to school? or Can I at least leave it in the center console or glove box?

The idea of going to school completely unarmed is ridiculous, who's going to protect me while I'm in class? I don't think the campus security is armed either.

Is breaking the law to protect my life, worst than dying?

Glockrunner
03-30-2008, 19:17
Ok I'm not to savvy when it comes to laws and bills or what not. Did this already get passed? Can I carry to school? or Can I at least leave it in the center console or glove box?

The idea of going to school completely unarmed is ridiculous, who's going to protect me while I'm in class? I don't think the campus security is armed either.

Is breaking the law to protect my life, worst than dying?

Continue to abide by the law as it is written.

rebbryan
03-31-2008, 01:37
Well I was gone when this bill was going through the process, it'd be nice, although SC does need a different system in dealing with crazies being reported. And as an underequipped police officer, you should be scared :dunno: