Today's Problem... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Today's Problem...

USMCGLOCKER
04-27-2007, 16:48
I posted this in "General Glocking" and wanted the Indiana people to give feedback too.
I was shooting with a friend out in the national forest here in Indiana, and we heard some yelling, so we stopped firing and took out our earplugs.

Two older guys(40's - 50's) in camouflage came up to us from out of a ravine and gave us some serious s**t about shooting there and how it was dangerous because people might have been around.

Shooting in the National Forest is legal, and we aren't any closer than a mile from any homes or ranches, and we always know what is behind our targets. (many, many trees and dirt)

One guy asked to see my handgun license (I have a LCH) but I refused to show him. He then said that I HAD to show him, because the other guy was a cop. I asked to see his badge, then showed him my license.

It felt like they were trying to just pull a power trip, what should I have done? Needless to say, we packed up our stuff and left the forest. I am not the only one that shoots there. there are frequently many casings on the ground that are of calibers that i don't own, and i plan on shooting there still.

Anyone have constructive comments for me?

axel
04-27-2007, 18:51
Thoughts in no particular order:

1)how could you be 100% sure that there wasn't someone behind the targets but out of eyesight?
2)how could you be sure someone a quarter mile beyond the targets wouldn't wander into range of a bullet?
3)was the dirt burm high enough to negate 1) and 2)?
4)I didn't know it was legal to shoot in a National Forest.
5)I think you are required to show your carry permit to a LEO if asked but it sounds like it wasn't the LEO doing the asking. If it had been me I probably wouldn't have shown it to the guy unless asked by the LEO and even then I would only show it to the LEO not the other guy.
6)why does the carry permit even come into play? Not everyone who goes shooting at a range has a carry permit. You can legally carry the weapon unloaded in a locked case in the trunk without a permit, can't you?
7)I'd have to see the area to know whether or not I would feel comfortable shooting there but if you've scoped it out and believe it to be a safe place to shoot then I'd say be safe and have fun.

txgho1911
04-27-2007, 19:26
Call the forestry office. It is legal as it is not a park.
You may do some research and print a copy. you could also just say the truth as there is no law against target shooting in the forest. I called and confirmed. I would recommend policing your brass because no one else will.

dwh79
04-27-2007, 20:03
You can not transport a handgun in indiana with out a carry license. They have speacial permits for target shooting and for personal protection. Depending on where you were in the National forrest that are off limits to target shooting. It is listed in there flyers. These are the areas where the state owns land that is intermixed with the federal lands.

toots shor
04-27-2007, 21:06
i was under the impression it was perfectly legal too. i think those guys were looking for someone to yell at. as long as you are shooting into the berm of a ravine, it is perfectly safe. dont show your license to anyone not a LEO. you dont have to. nice job there.

USMCGLOCKER
04-27-2007, 22:17
thanks for the input everyone!

I think I'm going to find a different, even MORE secluded spot to avoid this kind of situation.

KSFreeman
04-28-2007, 07:33
Are you legal to shoot there? Were there people around? Do you have a proper backstop and know what is behind it?

If you are legal to shoot there, no people around running back and forth (like Police Squad) and you have a solid backstop, tell them to have a nice day and continue shooting. Oh, yeah, police your brass.

R. Emmelman
04-28-2007, 08:51
"Two older guys(40's - 50's) in camouflage came up to us from out of a ravine and gave us some serious s**t about shooting there and how it was dangerous because people might have been around."

I really don't need to comment on this, do I? Morons!

rhino465
04-28-2007, 14:10
I just thought of something . . . (and forgive me if someone else has mentioned this too) . . . if it's not safe to target shoot and plink there, why is it safe to shoot for hunting purposes? Seems like the safety risks associated with the former would be even worse with the latter.

Snowman92D
04-28-2007, 14:30
Originally posted by txgho1911
Call the forestry office. It is legal as it is not a park.

Just because it's "legal" doesn't always mean that it's "smart".

R. Emmelman
04-28-2007, 18:48
OK, so I am in camouflage, and in a ravine, and I hear gun shots. I am just going to poke my head up like a prarie dog? Like I said, morons.

Also wonder what they were doing out there? I have heard about some drug making labs being set up in the middle of nowhere. Hmmmm.....

USMCGLOCKER
04-28-2007, 22:01
I don't know if their story is legit or not, people do mushroom hunt down here.

What I thought to be odd is that they made a point to come over to us to "investigate" rather than just pass through. Hell, we were given the 3rd degree by the non-badge having one. (who knows if it was real... I couldn't tell a fake from a real one.)

boby
04-29-2007, 02:00
Originally posted by USMCGLOCKER
I don't know if their story is legit or not, people do mushroom hunt down here.

What I thought to be odd is that they made a point to come over to us to "investigate" rather than just pass through. Hell, we were given the 3rd degree by the non-badge having one. (who knows if it was real... I couldn't tell a fake from a real one.)

Ask for an ID card next time. The badge means nothing without ID card...

Anyone can custom make a badge and impersonate an LEO.

fire1035
04-29-2007, 09:07
Originally posted by boby
Ask for an ID card next time. The badge means nothing without ID card...

Anyone can custom make a badge and impersonate an LEO.

Yup. There are many places out there that will make a badge for you and not even think twice about it.

Ignition
04-29-2007, 11:02
bah who knew it was already forest ninja season

sjstill
04-29-2007, 17:09
Sounds like you were there for the start of turkey season and you flushed a couple of 'em out.....

:animlol:

blackbeast
04-29-2007, 17:54
prolly cooking meth...

bubba wasn't missing some teeth was he?

twitching a bit?

smell like urine?

boby
04-29-2007, 18:10
In what manner did he procure his badge. Was it in a wallet? Was it attached to anything? On his belt? Or did he just whip out a badge from his pocket?

dblagent
04-29-2007, 18:20
Was this the place we were just talking about in the other thread? I have never ran into anyone there. I normally yell out first, than shoot 1-2 rounds into the back of the ravine and wait to see if anyone is around first, then start shooting.

To everyone else - If this is where we were discussing the other day it is a very safe area to shoot in, shooting downhill into a ravine with the entire ravine wall area available as a backstop. I also second that there is NOONE around there for miles in the direction you shoot, I looked it up on google maps to be very sure.

Sorry to hear of the trouble, let me know if you find a better area as I have been looking and that was as good as I had found so far.

USMCGLOCKER
04-30-2007, 02:20
Originally posted by boby
In what manner did he procure his badge. Was it in a wallet? Was it attached to anything? On his belt? Or did he just whip out a badge from his pocket?

Twas embedded in a leather wallet looking thing.

USMCGLOCKER
04-30-2007, 02:22
Originally posted by dblagent
Was this the place we were just talking about in the other thread? I have never ran into anyone there. I normally yell out first, than shoot 1-2 rounds into the back of the ravine and wait to see if anyone is around first, then start shooting.

To everyone else - If this is where we were discussing the other day it is a very safe area to shoot in, shooting downhill into a ravine with the entire ravine wall area available as a backstop. I also second that there is NOONE around there for miles in the direction you shoot, I looked it up on google maps to be very sure.

Sorry to hear of the trouble, let me know if you find a better area as I have been looking and that was as good as I had found so far.

Yep, same place man. I'm hoping it is an isolated incident, and that i wont run into them again. It is the first time i have even seen anyone there... some luck eh?

oh, and IF i find a better spot, i'll let ya know. I doubt it though. its such a sweet location!

R. Emmelman
04-30-2007, 05:08
Originally posted by USMCGLOCKER
Twas embedded in a leather wallet looking thing.
Did it look like this?

http://www.ccwusa.com/site/images/pagemaster/ccwbadge_2.jpg
:animlol: :rofl: :animlol:

KSFreeman
04-30-2007, 06:06
Hey, how did you get a photo of my badge???:animlol: :rofl:

R. Emmelman
04-30-2007, 07:23
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Hey, how did you get a photo of my badge???:animlol: :rofl:
I thought this one was yours:

http://eddie.gn.apc.org/graphics/mp-badge.jpg

KSFreeman
04-30-2007, 08:20
:upeyes:

Yes, that's right, I wear on my big hat and walk around saying "what's all this then?":tongueout:

And I wear a powdered whig in court.:supergrin:

sjstill
04-30-2007, 17:54
Originally posted by KSFreeman

And I wear a powdered whig in court.:supergrin:

Wondered what that smell was...:rofl: :rofl: :banana: :banana:

Gump
05-03-2007, 20:23
What county is this in?

R. Emmelman
05-04-2007, 04:45
Originally posted by sjstill
Wondered what that smell was...:rofl: :rofl: :banana: :banana:
Theat's the steak and kidney pie you smell.

dblagent
05-04-2007, 05:15
Originally posted by Gump
What county is this in?

Monroe County, outside of Bloomington.

Gump
05-04-2007, 19:51
Ok, I live in Monroe Co. I am always looking for places to go shoot. What is this by, if you don't mind me asking?

USMCGLOCKER
05-06-2007, 12:22
Originally posted by Gump
Ok, I live in Monroe Co. I am always looking for places to go shoot. What is this by, if you don't mind me asking?

It is off of 446 south of Bloomington, just south of the Monroe Reservoir. There is a thread in here about IU area shooting spots with links to maps, and regulations.

ussflintster
05-09-2007, 07:10
That area south of Monroe Res. is called the Deam Wilderness. It's one of the only places that you CAN'T shoot target. It's in the DNR website. If you want to shoot, go to the hoosier natl. forest near Story and make sure you read the DNR websight about the rules (no shooting across lakes,etc.)

USMCGLOCKER
05-09-2007, 11:44
I'm aware of that, i'm south of that.