fuel pump replacement [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump replacement

GLOCK30JOHN
04-27-2007, 19:28
I have a 1998 chev Z71 350 vortec.....70,000 miles.Yesterday I began having issues with my fuel gauge vibrating and jumping back and forth from E to F. A local shop suggested it could be the sending unit which is located on the pump in the tank. He said it is possible (and cheaper) to replace just the sending unit vs the entire pump ($500). I know I have to remove the fuel tank to get to the pump.I have some mechanial ability,and the tools but have never tackled stuff like this. Questions have any of you DIY guys tried this and if so is there any particular thing i need to pay close attention, special steps to follow, how difficult is this to replace? I was told to go back with OE parts whic are more $$$ but last longer.Just tryin to save a little $$$ ( maybe for another GLOCK) Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Braken
04-27-2007, 20:11
I've not had personel experience in replaceing one yet, but I have had several friends tell me it's easier to undo the bed and raise it up. Than it is to drain the tank, lower it, take it out from under the truck, to replace the sending unit.
Pro's and con's to both ways. Just thought i'd present a different option.

glock_19_9mm
04-27-2007, 20:20
I helped a buddy replace a fuel pump on a Cherokee. It was not that bad. Just make sure the tank is as empty as possible....It gets really heavy and the sloshing around makes it a bit unstable on a jack. Lessen Learned

The fuel pump comes out pretty easy. The one we did had a ring that rotated and held it in place.

Overall it was not that bad. I am not sure whether it would be easier removing the bed or just dropping the tank.