Talk about the Norfolk area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk about the Norfolk area


GlocknSpiehl
04-28-2007, 10:32
I am winding up my college degree here in FL and can move fairly soon. My wife's company is talking about opening a 2nd warehouse near a seaport in the USA. We lived in VA for 5 years and would love to move back.

How is the Norfolk area to live? Crime good/bad? Traffic? With both of us working we could afford a very good house, as long as it was not too far from her work...

Enlighten me, please! :thumbsup:

MD2010
04-28-2007, 23:20
Norfolk is not a bad place to live. Like any city it has its good parts and its bad parts. It you can find something in the Ghent area that's not too expensive that's a good area to live. There's also some nice affordable houses off Granby street over around Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center area. Much out of that, you're better to look in City Virginia Beach or City of Chesapeake, they're more "suburb" like with nicer subdevelopments at a more affordable price. Property taxes are also less there, though not significantly so. Avoid Portsmouth, not to offend anyone here who might be from there, but it's kind of ghetto. All those cities are relatively close together and well connected and are collectively referred to as the "hampton roads" area. You could easily have a house in those areas and commute to work like many others here. There's several good gun stores and ranges around here too. PM me if you want anymore info.

Jerseycitysteve
04-30-2007, 13:35
We love Norfolk!

GlocknSpiehl
04-30-2007, 16:58
Right now it is all up in the air. My wife's company wants to open a 2nd location on the East coast near a port. They originally were looking at newark, NJ, dispite my warnings about it. :alex:

Fortunately my wife had to go there for a biz meeting and came back saying: "No freaking way". YAY.

I suggested Norfolk and also Portsmouth, NH/Boston, MA as we could live in NH and commute to Bahstahn.

Thanks!

Hunterjbb
04-30-2007, 19:39
Way, Say down around Charleston SC ? Not sure whats available down that way, but with the Navy base closed..

What you don't like Bayone, NJ or Newark ? lol.. can't say i've met anyone that does..

Boston, ouchies.. bring $$$$..

How about up Maine Way.. Portland area ? i have a cousin that lived up there, always enjoyed visisting up there.

Hampton area is just about like most other area's these days from what folks i know live down there tell me. Pricey.. lol..
I would say Traffic in the Summer time down that way is horrendous.. Virginia Beach etc.. yuck.

What the price range of "very good" house to you ?

Jerseycitysteve
04-30-2007, 20:08
Notice my alias so I speak with some authority. If you like doing business with guys like Tony Soprano, then the port of Newark is your bailiwick. Actually, when I lived up there the Gambino family had things under control.

Norfolk is great.

GlocknSpiehl
05-02-2007, 04:09
Originally posted by Jerseycitysteve
Notice my alias so I speak with some authority. If you like doing business with guys like Tony Soprano, then the port of Newark is your bailiwick. Actually, when I lived up there the Gambino family had things under control.

Norfolk is great.

That's what I kept telling her! LOL

We lived in VA for years before moving to FL for her job. Decent house for us would depend on my pay at the hospital, but we could probably easily afford $500k or so, with our downpayment after selling down here. Of course the mkt here for houses is down right now; 90+ days to sell most houses. :sad:

Thanks for the info!

GlocknSpiehl
05-02-2007, 04:11
Originally posted by Hunterjbb
Way, Say down around Charleston SC ? Not sure whats available down that way, but with the Navy base closed..

What you don't like Bayone, NJ or Newark ? lol.. can't say i've met anyone that does..

Boston, ouchies.. bring $$$$..

How about up Maine Way.. Portland area ? i have a cousin that lived up there, always enjoyed visisting up there.

Hampton area is just about like most other area's these days from what folks i know live down there tell me. Pricey.. lol..
I would say Traffic in the Summer time down that way is horrendous.. Virginia Beach etc.. yuck.

What the price range of "very good" house to you ?

That's why we would live in NH and commute! :supergrin: Portland ME is too far north; if they go north, they want to be convenient to NYC for shipping purposes. We shall see. This is at least 9 months away...

Jerseycitysteve
05-02-2007, 06:16
Originally posted by GlocknSpiehl
That's what I kept telling her! LOL

We lived in VA for years before moving to FL for her job. Decent house for us would depend on my pay at the hospital, but we could probably easily afford $500k or so, with our downpayment after selling down here. Of course the mkt here for houses is down right now; 90+ days to sell most houses. :sad:

Thanks for the info!

In NJ, 500,000 will buy an OK house in a decent neighborhood. In Norfolk, your money will go farther

OldRonin
05-02-2007, 06:41
I lived in the Norfolk area for 10 years. Its got a lot to offer, and the economy will probably always stay strong due to a lot of military presence that is not going to get shut down. There is a lot of variety in types of neighborhoods to live in. Lots of water all around. I loved it.
Graduated from Old Dominion University there.
It beats Baltimore, the next port up the coast.

marinr
05-04-2007, 19:54
I live in Norfolk, and I plan to move as soon as I can (which won't be soon enough).

Traffic is horrible here, and it gets worse every year. It will never get better, because the main roads away from here go over bridges and through tunnels which are not feasible to expand.

Every year during hurricane season I'm reminded that this area is literally impossible to evacuate in case of natural disaster or "civil disturbance".

I can't compare the crime rate to that of other similarly-situated metropolitan areas.

Jerseycitysteve
05-04-2007, 20:23
Originally posted by marinr
I live in Norfolk, and I plan to move as soon as I can (which won't be soon enough).

Traffic is horrible here, and it gets worse every year. It will never get better, because the main roads away from here go over bridges and through tunnels which are not feasible to expand.

Every year during hurricane season I'm reminded that this area is literally impossible to evacuate in case of natural disaster or "civil disturbance".

I can't compare the crime rate to that of other similarly-situated metropolitan areas.

True enough about the bridges. We were looking at living in Hampton and commuting to Norfolk. Forget.

However, in my experience, the traffic isn't bad if you don't use bridges or tunnels and my wife and I rarely do: except when I go to an IDPA match at NCRR. I'd shoot much more if not for the tunnel headache.

Now, if you want really bad traffic, try Northern Virginia. Hampton Roads isn't a patch to that, but YMMV.

m4arc
05-20-2007, 17:12
GlocknSpiehl - I live in Va Bch and work in Norfolk. Condos are going up like crazy in downtown Norfolk right now so you would have an easy time finding a very nice place if you wanted to live downtown. Other than that follow MD2010's advice.

Yes traffic sucks but unless you're going to move to North Dakota you better get used to it. I usually commute by bicycle so I don't really worry about it :supergrin:

Kevin108
05-26-2007, 15:44
Average new home sales here are about $250,000 so your cash will buy plenty! Or at least buy enough in one of the good sections of Norfolk.

Navy87Guy
05-27-2007, 14:33
Originally posted by Jerseycitysteve
Now, if you want really bad traffic, try Northern Virginia. Hampton Roads isn't a patch to that, but YMMV.

We lived in Chesapeake for 7 years before we moved up to NoVa. I had been away for about 4 years when I got stationed down there again. All I could do was laugh about the "traffic" around Hampton Roads compared to DC. Granted, if you're trying to get across one of the bridges it can become miserable very quickly....but if you live on the south side (Norfolk, Va Beach, Chesapeake) then even the height of rush hour isn't so bad. Of course, that's not much consolation when you're the one sitting on I-64! It's all relative.

Jim

fourtfourmag
05-27-2007, 20:40
Originally posted by MD2010
Avoid Portsmouth, not to offend anyone here who might be from there, but it's kind of ghetto.

Hey, whats wrong w/P-Town. :shocked: At least they have great Boobie Bars :thumbsup:

J/K

I wouldn't live in P-Town either...

Kevin108
05-27-2007, 23:33
Give me a map of Portsmouth and I can show you where to avoid. Most of it is actually good. I've worked there for 5 years, lived around it my whole life, and lived downtown for a full year next month. Portsmouth definitely has a bad rap and maybe 10 years ago it deserved it but it's made a huge turnaround. Several of the housing projects have been torn down and it's just not the same city it was even a couple years ago. Norfolk has more crime and is far more ghetto than Portsmouth at this point. But one advantage to living in Norfolk is you're already on the right side of the tunnel to go to the indoor range at Bob's Gun Shop. :thumbsup: