Good used car? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good used car?

Drilled
04-29-2007, 19:36
I need to get a good used car for my son in the $5,000 range anybody have one that is in good shape or know anyone that has one? Don't want to get one and have to put a money into it right away.

Looked at a bunch today and most of them had issues...Man 5 grand does not get you much anymore!

He is 16 so I know the law of averages are against him but I am not putting him on my insurance! Would rather he has his car in his name and his own insurance.

darkside852003
04-30-2007, 04:55
There is a used GM dealership at 10 half and Van Dyke and another at Topher and Gratiot that I have had good luck with. I would spend four grand on a car and have thousand as a backup with any used car. My friend has had good luck with cars off ebay, never know you might get a deal. Also look on autotrader.com.

cyberhick
04-30-2007, 09:13
I recently bought a Geo Prizm for $4000, great little car, even if its really a Toyota Corolla.

Glocker45
05-01-2007, 18:24
While I don't know of one for sale offhand, I do recommend Chevy Luminas. I have had two and both have broken 225,000 with little to no work. I did have an alternator die on one and fuel pump on the other (mainly due to the fuel filter having never been changed). Main thing overall is to find one that someone has taken care of (any make of car).

Hauptmann6
05-01-2007, 18:58
DO NOT GET A GM MIDSIZED CAR from before 94. They had a VERY badly designed rear brake system that caused the rear calipers to burn up in around 6 months. 94 and after they fixed it.

aaronrkelly
05-01-2007, 19:14
Im not from your area so I dont have any specific informations but you might try salvage yards or rebuilders lots.

Thats where I found my last car.....

It was a 2002 Kia Rio (I bought it in 2004, so it was a 2 year old car).

The car had 24K miles on it with factory warranty till 60K miles still in effect. 4 cyl, 5 spd with air, cd player but nothing really fancy.....still have to crank the windows up and down.

It was NOT salvaged but had a "tear" in the rear bumper cover. I paid $3500 for the car, $100 for a bumper cover (from the same place) and had 1 hour of time replacing it.

Not a bad buy and they can be had around here like that all day long.

My uncle just bought a 98 Ford Contour with 70K miles on it for $1800......it had been close to a fire and the driver mirror had melted a bit. Its his work car so he didnt even fix it....still works just looks like ****.

Drilled
05-01-2007, 21:07
Originally posted by aaronrkelly
Im not from your area so I dont have any specific informations but you might try salvage yards or rebuilders lots.

Thats where I found my last car.....

It was a 2002 Kia Rio (I bought it in 2004, so it was a 2 year old car).

The car had 24K miles on it with factory warranty till 60K miles still in effect. 4 cyl, 5 spd with air, cd player but nothing really fancy.....still have to crank the windows up and down.

It was NOT salvaged but had a "tear" in the rear bumper cover. I paid $3500 for the car, $100 for a bumper cover (from the same place) and had 1 hour of time replacing it.

Not a bad buy and they can be had around here like that all day long.

My uncle just bought a 98 Ford Contour with 70K miles on it for $1800......it had been close to a fire and the driver mirror had melted a bit. Its his work car so he didnt even fix it....still works just looks like ****.

Are you in Michigan? If so where? My job takes me around the state occasionally...

Drilled
05-01-2007, 21:08
Originally posted by Hauptmann6
DO NOT GET A GM MIDSIZED CAR from before 94. They had a VERY badly designed rear brake system that caused the rear calipers to burn up in around 6 months. 94 and after they fixed it.

All makes?

Drilled
05-01-2007, 21:09
Originally posted by Glocker45
While I don't know of one for sale offhand, I do recommend Chevy Luminas. I have had two and both have broken 225,000 with little to no work. I did have an alternator die on one and fuel pump on the other (mainly due to the fuel filter having never been changed). Main thing overall is to find one that someone has taken care of (any make of car).

Thanks for the tip on the Luminas!

Drilled
05-01-2007, 21:11
Originally posted by cyberhick
I recently bought a Geo Prizm for $4000, great little car, even if its really a Toyota Corolla.

My daughter drove one of those for a few years,was a good car.

aaronrkelly
05-01-2007, 21:22
Originally posted by Drilled
Are you in Michigan? If so where? My job takes me around the state occasionally...

Nah, Im in Iowa. Both of the above cars were bought at Sams Riverside in Des Moines.

http://www.samsriverside.com/

Check out their site, may give you a good idea of what can be found in your price range. Saw a 2002 Cavalier in your range that wasnt damaged....had 50K miles for a little under $5k.

Also saw a Mercury that just needed a headlight and bumper cover for $5500 - had something like 26K miles on it and it was fairly loaded.

sdsnet
05-01-2007, 21:33
You might try a used small pickup truck. A Nissan or Mazda might fit your price range and be a good safe vehicle for a kid.

the fool
05-01-2007, 21:54
see what he would like to have
dont go get him a car when he might want a truck or an suv

geminicricket
05-01-2007, 22:05
Chrysler there might be willing to give you a new car that they are not able to sell for the price that they wish they could.

I checked, the tongue is not in the cheek.

Hauptmann6
05-03-2007, 21:04
All makes?

Yes, the entire W Body line.

Grand Prix, Lumina, Cutlass and Regal.

Drilled
05-04-2007, 10:39
Originally posted by Hauptmann6
Yes, the entire W Body line.

Grand Prix, Lumina, Cutlass and Regal.

Okay, got it,thought you meant all makes, but this refers to GM Models, I will shy away from those.

darkside852003
05-04-2007, 12:03
If you do choose to get a GM though get one with the 3800 engine. Those engines are great, I have had a few last me over 230k.

Hauptmann6
05-04-2007, 16:05
Okay, got it,thought you meant all makes, but this refers to GM Models, I will shy away from those.

93 and before for those models. After is great. The 3.1 and 3100 is a great engine. The 3.4 DOHC is nice, but requires alot of EXPENSIVE maintenance.

mufasa1023
05-18-2007, 09:21
I know its heresy to mention foreign cars anywhere near Detroit, but used Honda's and Toyota's are tough to beat and can be had in great condition for your price range. If you're going truck take a look at a Ranger, even though I dont like Ford, my old ranger was a great truck.
But above all else do two things...get your kids input on what type of car he might want and do your research.

Check here for used car info: http://www.edmunds.com/apps/usedmatrix/UsedMatrix

and here for listings of used cars: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/index.jsp?bkms=

Lastly if you are a car lot type of person, there is a dealership at 23.5 and gratiot that has treated me well, its next to a CVS or Walgreens type place on the east side of the road and they usually have plenty of decent cars in your price range. (Though I havent been out that way in over a year)

Drilled
05-18-2007, 18:51
Found a 1998 Chevy Lumina, 3100 engine, one owner 51,000 miles, all service records, needs tires (original) Just had brakes done...80 year old woman that is buying a new car...we lucked out...$2,800...A friend of my mom's...

Hailstorm
05-18-2007, 20:20
Good deal. I would suggest flushing the Coolant, Trans and brake fluid. Of course oil. This way you start off fresh.

The 3.1 and 3.4 had a issue with leaking intakes. Other than that. Nothing comes to mind. All this means is, change the coolant so it doesn't corrode from the inside. And keep and eye out for oil. Normally we don't do a new gasket unless its leaking oil on the ground. Other wise the engine is strong. Not trying to scare you on the leaking. Just a FYI.

Oh, check to see if they did a brake flush when they did the brakes. Like they should have. It will be listed if they did.

If you want. I can get you 25% off at the Canton Firestone. PM if you want more info. Or, you can call to see what costs would be and you'll see if its worth it for you. Oh, should be 25% off on tires to. If you call on prices, don't say anything about the friends and family discount. Just reduce the cost by 25%. Should be close to actual costs. If you want.

It looks like you got a good deal, $2800 is real good. :thumbsup:

mufasa1023
05-19-2007, 13:02
If you do choose to get a GM though get one with the 3800 engine. Those engines are great, I have had a few last me over 230k.

Those 3800 engines are solid, my last one went 270,000 before the rest of the car gave out on it...but the engine was still going strong! :thumbsup: