Address change for CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Address change for CCW

Diokan
04-29-2007, 22:01
If I move within the county that I got my permit (Fairfax) do I have to notify the courts that I moved? Does anyone know the process if I do?

Thanks-

Norstrog
05-03-2007, 20:46
As far as I understand it you don't have to change your address at all according to VA but I know you don't if you stay within the county. Call the local issuer to double check they'll tell you definitively.

Sporwick
05-04-2007, 10:10
I was just wondering the same thing. I know that VA laws say that you do not need to get a new permit for a change of address. I like to use my permit as my second form of ID when I purchase and in that instance the address has to match your liscense (which it wont when I move). I am moving from Arlington to Alexandria in 2 months. I am going to call.

Truckee
05-04-2007, 20:31
Norstrog and Sporwick,

Change of address is a grey area... both of you 'may' be correct, but not for long (see below).

As of this date, there seems to be much confusion concerning this issue... from the top people, to us bottomers. If you change your DL address, it 'seems' generally accepted that your CHP needs to be changed. By loose interpretation of the Code by most LE, one's CHP address should match one's VA. DL information.

However, directly secondary to this confusion, a clarification has been legislated.

18.2-308 (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308)

D1. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's note) Whenever any person moves from the address shown on the concealed handgun permit, he shall, within 30 days, notify the issuing court of his change of address. The court shall issue a new concealed handgun permit as provided in subsection H and provide the Department of State Police with the permit information as required in subsection K.

Sporwick
05-07-2007, 13:29
Well I called Arlington County Clerk and they told me to just submit a letter and it will go in the system. Being that I dont move until the middle of July, I think I am going to wait until July (when the new law goes into effect) to go in there. Hopefully they will understand the new law and issue me a new permit. Knowing the system I bet I will have to pay and get fingerprinted all over again!

stooxie
05-12-2007, 12:11
I'll tell you a good reason for getting a new CCW with the correct address on it regardless of legal obligation:

When using your CCW as an ID for a gun purchase it will be a lot easier if everything matches.

I make no other statement besides that. Not saying the above is necessarily right, or legal, or moral, or whatever.

I chose to get my CCW updated so that I don't have to sit there and explain myself to anyone when buying a handgun or what Virginia classifies as an assault rifle.

-Stooxie

solie
05-17-2007, 13:02
When I changed my address here in Madison all they had me do was write my name and address on a notepad and she processed it there and I had my new one within 5 minutes.

She also gave me my old one back with the old address.

Sporwick
05-17-2007, 13:23
I wish it were that easy here in NoVA.

Diokan
05-19-2007, 15:47
I went down the the Fairfax County circuit court to ask. They handed me a form titled "Request for Duplicate Permit To Carry a Concealed Handgun - Commonwealth of Virginia"

Basically they told me I needed to fill it out with the new address/telephone number, and pay $10 for the new "duplicate" permit. I can scan the form in if anyone wants it.

It is the same form as this:

http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/003204.pdf

Except it is blank for the circuit court part.

dbrowne1
05-19-2007, 16:57
The Code is (until 7/1/07) silent on this issue. As far as I'm concerned, the permit remains valid for its full term so long as you remain a resident of the Commonwealth and keep your DMV-issued ID up to date, even if you move.

If you move within the same city/county and they will re-issue it with a correct address, more power to you. If you move to a different city/county, I think that gets dicey as far as which jurisdiction is now "issuing" your permit if you want to get a new one. If I move from Norfolk to Richmond with a Norfolk permit, and want it "fixed" to correct my address, does Norfolk have the authority under the Code to re-issue it to a Richmond resident? Does Richmond have the authority under the Code to, without going through the whole application process, re-issue it to me?

Interesting questions, actually...

Diokan
05-23-2007, 06:43
Originally posted by dbrowne1
If you move to a different city/county, I think that gets dicey as far as which jurisdiction is now "issuing" your permit if you want to get a new one.
Interesting questions, actually...

Interesting....I suspect you have to request the new licence from the court that issued it to you, regardless of where you live in Virginia. Each court can issue a license that is valid in other jurisdictions in Virginia. Think of marriage licenses and notary licensees. These are issued by individual county/city courts, but are granted under the authority of the commonwealth. And they are recognized by all the other courts in VA.

glck123
05-31-2007, 13:34
Does this apply to those who recieved their permit, before 7/1/2007, and have already moved?

Sporwick
05-31-2007, 13:48
Originally posted by glck123
Does this apply to those who recieved their permit, before 7/1/2007, and have already moved?

I am assuming so. I have my permit and am not moving until July.

johnydoe
07-25-2007, 07:13
Originally posted by Truckee
Norstrog and Sporwick,

Change of address is a grey area... both of you 'may' be correct, but not for long (see below).

As of this date, there seems to be much confusion concerning this issue... from the top people, to us bottomers. If you change your DL address, it 'seems' generally accepted that your CHP needs to be changed. By loose interpretation of the Code by most LE, one's CHP address should match one's VA. DL information.

However, directly secondary to this confusion, a clarification has been legislated.

18.2-308 (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308)

D1. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's note) Whenever any person moves from the address shown on the concealed handgun permit, he shall, within 30 days, notify the issuing court of his change of address. The court shall issue a new concealed handgun permit as provided in subsection H and provide the Department of State Police with the permit information as required in subsection K.

Did this change ever happened? I don't see it at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308]18.2-308

Truckee
07-25-2007, 09:10
Originally posted by johnydoe
Did this change ever happened? I don't see it at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308]18.2-308

I don't see it either johny... seems it vaporized.

May I suggest, on pure speculation, that this statute was included with the "Lifetime Permit" legislation... which failed to receive funding and thus was not enacted.

jasonwc
07-25-2007, 13:56
Truckee's speculation was correct. I did some digging into the legislative history of 18.2-308 and found that the quoted section above (D1) was part of the changes that were supposed to make Concealed Handgun Permits good for life. That change never took effect, and neither did the mandatory notification of an address change.

Here's what Westlaw says about the issue:

"Acts 2006, c. 886, in subsec. D deleted "five-year" preceding "permit" in three locations, and in the twelfth sentence inserted "and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit"; in subd. E.13 in the second sentence inserted "a disqualifying conviction or upon", and in the third sentence inserted "of such individual or of a deputy sheriff, police officer, or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth"; in subsec. H in the first sentence changed "the date of issuance; and the expiration date" to "and the date of issuance"; in subsec. I deleted the first sentence, which prior thereto read: "Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in subsection D, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit."; in subsec. M added the definition for "Personal knowledge"; and added subsecs. D1, H1, J5 and S.

That the provisions of this act creating subdivisions D1 and J5, amending subsection I, and amending subsection D, eliminating the five-year permit and subsection H referencing expiration of such a permit shall not become effective unless an appropriation of funds effectuating the purposes of these provisions is included in the general appropriations act for the period of July 1, 2006, through June 30, 2008, passed during the 2007 Session of the General Assembly, which become law; if such funds are appropriated, then such provisions of this act shall become effective on July 1, 2007.

No appropriation for the purposes set forth in the second enactment of Acts 2006, c. 886 was made in the 2007 appropriations act (Acts 2007, c. 847), so the amendments by that act creating subdivisions D1 and J5, amending subsection I, and amending subsection D, eliminating the five-year permit and subsection H referencing expiration of such a permit, did not become effective."

D1 read as: "Whenever any person moves from the address shown on the concealed carry handgun permit, he shall, within 30 days, notify the issuing court of his change of address. The court shall issue a new concealed handgun permit as provided in subsection H and provide the Department of State Police with the permit information as required in subsection K."

You'll now find

"D1. Not effective."

If you check the statute on the Virginia state website you'll find no mention of D1.

Nonetheless, as others have suggested, it's a good idea to do so anyways. A concealed carry permit can be used as a secondary form of ID to purchase a firearm but to do so the address must match your government issued Photo ID.

Jerseycitysteve
07-26-2007, 22:25
I even moved within Norfolk and decided to get my address changed on both my DL and CCW. One can never be too careful.

Thanks for including the form, Diokan.

gunman_23
07-31-2007, 19:17
So if I understand the above posts correctly...

The requirement for a new permit based on moving was on the books, but did not take effect?

So, the obligation legally is a moot point, but the obligation for clairification is a personal one.

Correct?

I was actually going to post a thread asking about this because I called the State Police station in Fairfax and the Sgt said he knew nothing about it.

The last thing I want is to get hemmed up on this or carry illegally (in theory).

jasonwc
07-31-2007, 20:09
Originally posted by gunman_23
So if I understand the above posts correctly...

The requirement for a new permit based on moving was on the books, but did not take effect?

So, the obligation legally is a moot point, but the obligation for clairification is a personal one.

Correct?

Yes, that's correct. There is no longer a legal obligation to update your address, but it's probably a wise choice.

trio
08-10-2007, 23:17
to shed some light on this subject...

the mandatory update was tied to the lifetime CCW that was NOT funded by the VA State Police...since the Staties didnt fund it, the rest of the provision did not go into effect, and, as such, there is no need to update your address...

Also, for the record, if you move out of county, it is nearly impossible to do...I will illustrate...

My permit is issued by Orange County...I now live in Prince William...

When it looked like that law was going to take effect I called the Clerk down in Orange to get a head start....they refused to issue me a new permit because my new permit would have a Prince William County address on it

I then called Prince William County, who also refused to issue me a new permit since my original permit was issued by an Orange County judge...

my only recourse would be to apply for a whole new permit....

(this, for the record, was one of the problems with the new code that pissed of the VASP...there was no solution to this problem if the code section had gone into effect....)

And this problem remains the same now...I have a permit that will not expire for 3 more years, but no way to get a new address on it without paying the fee to get a whole new permit....

its idiotic....

EvilBlack10mm
08-11-2007, 17:13
I reside in Prince William County and I recently got pulled over. The cops didn't give me any grief or say anything about my address. My CCW address has my old address from Alexandria.