Carry in national forest [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry in national forest

jhaygood
05-02-2007, 16:58
Sorry this may be the wrong place to post this but I figured ya'll would know best. Does anyone know if you can carry in a national forest? If so does it have to be concealed since VA is an open carry state. Thanks.

Gregw/aGlock
05-02-2007, 17:39
Check out packing.org -- I believe that in Virginia, state laws apply in a national forest. However, the ranger stations are "federal buildings" so carry there is a no-no....

Nicky9
05-03-2007, 06:00
Originally posted by jhaygood
Sorry this may be the wrong place to post this but I figured ya'll would know best. Does anyone know if you can carry in a national forest? If so does it have to be concealed since VA is an open carry state. Thanks.
I think its only CCW in National Forests in VA. Actually pretty sure GWNF is that way.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/general_info/index.shtml

Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands

First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as they possess a concealed weapon permit.
Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.

Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.

John Fry
05-03-2007, 21:55
Please check the following National Forest Carry in Virginia (http://www.virginia1774.org/Page1.html#Federal)

The VDGIF regs control where you can carry in a National Forest.

G. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.