vacationing in Massanutten in the spring [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : vacationing in Massanutten in the spring

Mrs. VR
05-02-2007, 17:56
Any suggestions on what to do, where to go, what is must-see? We are going with three kids ages 4-11 and 6 adults. Thanks! :wavey:

vafish
05-02-2007, 19:32
Shoot a USPSA or ICORE match at the orchard?

Beautiful scenery along the skyline drive.

Old Rag Mountain is a real nice day hike. You might end up carrying the 4 year old a bit though.

Lurray Cavers, or Skyline Caverns are a couple of nice caves.

1 1/2 hour drive gets you back in near the DC area.

Route 11 Chips factory tour. I highly recommend the Mamma Zuma's Revenge Red chips!!!

What type of stuff do you like to do?

Mrs. VR
05-03-2007, 07:45
chip tour sounds fun! We're going with such a varied group, it's kind of hard to say what everyone wants to do. The kids obviously are a large enough range, that it's hard to find something to keep EVERYONE engaged, so shorter activities are better. Any rafting in that area?

I'm looking forward to some antiquing, but I havent told VR yet;)

vafish
05-03-2007, 12:06
No rafting that I know of real close by. There is canoeing and probably tubing on the Shennendoa river. Rafting would probably be over in WV.

Oh and don't buy a big bag of the MZR's red chips before you try them. They are a tad on the spicy side. Not bad if you have a sandwich or some dip to go with them. But just the chips by themselves will liven up your mouth.

I think RT11 chips is a bit north of Massanutten. Up closer to Winchester.

There are some civil war battle fields around and I think Natural Bridge isn't too far away for a day trip.

lethal tupperwa
05-03-2007, 19:48
is for sale, including the hotel and gift shop.

When you drive down I81 to exit 175 go over to Rt11 you and drive north 5 miles to get back on I81 at exit 180 you will go over natural bridge.

But you probably wouldn't know it unless you were looking for it.

When you are below it you can see it.

Mrs. VR
05-04-2007, 11:50
we LOVE spicy :drool: and the kids will enjoy the civil war stuff, thanks! :wavey:

vafish
05-04-2007, 19:08
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
we LOVE spicy :drool: and the kids will enjoy the civil war stuff, thanks! :wavey:

Do the chip tour, buy a box of the RED ONES (http://www.rt11.com/default.cfm?URLKey=ChipDetails&CategoryID=558) and let me know if you still like hot stuff.

Fernman
05-23-2007, 18:27
Caverns are always a hit. You could always adopt PJMN and bring him 10 minutes down the road to my place :hearts:

If you head 30 min south to Staunton there is the Frontier Culture Museum (interesting, especially if you've never been!) and Queen City Brewing (yumm), Definitely try Calhoun's Restaurant in Harrisonburg-excellent micro-brews and calimari, lots of civil war history in the valley (just drive the roads and stop and read some of the signs), skyline drive is gorgeous always...

http://www.virginiaisforlovers.com/

.40Guy
05-24-2007, 16:22
If you wind up near the caverns in Luray, look for Foamhenge. You'll know it when you see it!

lethal tupperwa
05-25-2007, 04:40
Originally posted by vafish
Do the chip tour, buy a box of the RED ONES (http://www.rt11.com/default.cfm?URLKey=ChipDetails&CategoryID=558) and let me know if you still like hot stuff.

Is the exact amount needed to wipe out a small town.