SC Reciprocity Bill, H3212 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SC Reciprocity Bill, H3212

walrus108
05-03-2007, 16:32
THIS INVOLVES EVERYBODY WHO LIVES IN THE US AND HAS A CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT

The SC reciprocity bill, H3212 (http://www.scstatehouse.net/cgi-bin/web_bh10.exe)
Has made it to the Senate. H. 3212 is a bill to amend the South Carolina concealed weapon permit (CWP)
reciprocity law to help protect South Carolina CWP holders and their families when they travel
in other states by allowing CWP holders from other states to carry in South Carolina. Once this
bill is enacted into law, SC CWP holders will be able to carry in approximately 30+ other states. It is now sitting in a Senate sub-committee.

We need help from ALL STATES on this one. Tourism is the largest industry here in SC and this law effects citizens of SC, as well as ANYBODY from any state where they were issued a concealed weapons permit, who might ever possibly visit our state. Please take the time to send a quick email to the members of the sub-committee. Even if you are from ALASKA, Texas, Michigan, etc, you can email these State senators and help us get this bill passed. Just mention that you would like to visit SC but would like to be able to legally carry while here. You need not even mention where your from. As of now SC only has reciprocity with 9 other states. 11 others honor our CWP's even though their citizens can't carry here. This needs to change. Please email the following SC state senators who currently control this bill. If it makes it to the floor, it should pass, and the Governor will sign it into law. This will not only make me very happy but effect carry issues in many other states for a long time to come.

Senator John D. Hawkins (CH)- DH@scsenate.org

Senator Vincent A. Sheheen - VS@scsenate.org

Senator Joel Lourie - JBL@scsenate.org

Senator Lewis R. Vaughn - LRV@scsenate.org

walrus108
05-06-2007, 17:11
GRASSROOTS GUNRIGHTS ACTION ALERT!

H.3212 Needs our help again!
Last week, many GrassRoots GunRights members called, emailed and faxed the members of the Senate subcommittee that were meeting to vote on H.3212 - the CWP Recognition bill that will make your South Carolina CWP good in 30+ states. Well, your efforts worked! The subcommittee voted unanimously to send H.3212 back up to the full Senate Judiciary committee with a favorable recommendation (without amendments).

But our work is not done. In fact, the truly hard part is just beginning. This bill will meet its strongest opposition at the next two points: The full Senate Judiciary Committee and the full Senate.

The full Senate Judiciary committee will meet to consider H.3212 on Tuesday May 8th at 3:00pm in room 308 of the Gressette Building. Please try your best to attend. Back in 2005 the Senate Republican leadership killed this bill by adding a "poison pill" amendment to it that would've made it worse than existing law if it passed. We have to stay vigilant if we want this CWP Recognition bill to pass, or they'll find a way to kill it again. If we can pack the room, we will send a strong message to our Senators that we mean business!

If we can stop them from killing the bill in the Senate Judiciary Committee and in the full Senate, this bill will go to the Governor for his signature.

Please act now! Let your voice be heard loud and clear!
Call, email and fax the Senators from your county and tell them:

Dear Senator:

GrassRoots GunRights speaks for me!

I want H.3212 passed exactly as it came from the House & Senate subcommittee!

I also want you to send me your written confirmation of exactly how you will be voting on this bill.

Sincerely,
PUT YOUR NAME HERE
PUT YOUR ADDRESS HERE

Here's how you do it:

First: Fax them. Do it right now. They will have a big stack of faxes waiting for them when they arrive at the office Tuesday morning. This is the Senate fax number: 803-212-6299. Make sure you fax EACH of the Senators from your county. Use the text provided in the box above.

Second: Email each of them. Do it right now. Fill up their inbox with our emails. Follow these instructions carefully:

- Block and Copy all the text in the box above.
- Click here . A browser will open with links to every county in the state.
- Click on the county where you live. You will see a list of your Senator's names listed under "South Carolina Senate Delegation."
- One at a time, you must click on EACH name you find in this list. Doing this will take you to that Senator's webpage. Their email address will be found right below their office telephone numbers. Just click on that email address and your email program will open up automatically, addressed to that Senator. Paste the text from the box above into each email and send it. Be sure to add a Subject line to your email, such as "Please Pass H.3212!"

Third: Call each of them. Do this First thing TUESDAY morning (they don't come in on Mondays). You may have to leave a message. Make sure he knows that GrassRoots GunRights speaks for you, and that you want him to vote for this bill. If you don't get to speak with him personally, make sure to tell him you want to know how he intends to vote in the full Judiciary committee and in the full Senate. This is the capitol switchboard number for the Senate: 803-212-6299 Use the capitol switchboard number so that we clog up the phone lines and really let them hear us! Just call this number and ask for your Senators by name, one by one, until you've spoken with each one in your county. You can use the text provided in the box above for talking points.

Once you have done all this, sit back and relax for a moment. Be proud of yourself. You've just fought for your gun rights.

Ok, that's enough.

Now make arrangements to be at the Senate Judiciary committee meeting at 3:00pm Tuesday in room 308 of the Gressette building. Let's pack the room send them a message that they better not mess with our gun rights!

See you there!

Bill Rentiers
Executive Officer,
GrassRoots GunRights of SC

walrus108
05-06-2007, 17:14
Let's keep this at the top. Call, email, and fax those Senators and let them know that you are watching them and will hold them to account! You can find your senators here http://www.scstatehouse.net/countydelegationinfo/cntymast.html
Come on y'all. Don't let me, and yourself, down!

BEANCOUNTER
05-20-2007, 22:06
Any updates?

Florida has reciprocity with 30 states. Is SC going to be 31?

edited 6/23/2007 to add:
I regret to inform you that South Carolina will NOT be reciprocity state #31.

On June 12, 2007, Florida's Division of Licensing updated it's official site to announce that West Virginia had become the 31st state to enter into an agreement with Florida.

Florida now has reciprocity agreements with 62% of the states. I don't think we will ever reach 100% (in my lifetime) because of states like NJ, CA, IL, and most likely SC.

GAFFN1
06-14-2007, 20:12
Any new news regarding this bill?

walrus108
06-17-2007, 11:40
Not in a while. I'm going to find out what it's current status is on Monday though. I'll let you know when I get some kind of reply.

drinkoj
06-24-2007, 12:15
Since I am currently researching the purchase of my first handgun and potential CWP, I thought it would be appropriate for me to post information about the legislation on CWP and reciprocity for my state, South Carolina.

In a nutshell, the SC state Senator Ralph Anderson of Greenville district 7 (retired Postmaster), is the sole miniority Senator that has blocked House Bill 3212. Bill 3212 is not dead, but will still be in the final stage of committee when the next session of the state senate meets in January 2008. Here is an editorial that he has written on the reasons for his objection and he can be reached at RA@scsenate.org : Don't let other states dictate our 'carry' law (http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007706230308)

BEANCOUNTER
06-24-2007, 22:06
Thanks for the update and explanation.

Florida won't be reserving #32 for SC.

The funny thing is that reciprocity is a non-issue in Florida. I doubt many down here know that Florida has reciprocity with other states. I can't even find any Florida newspapers that ran a story on West Virginia becoming the 31st reciprocity state earlier this month.

Concealed carry has been pretty much a non-issue too. It is rare that someone with a concealed carry permit runs amuck. I'd send Sen. Anderson Florida's statistics, but somehow I doubt he cares.

BigWaylon
06-26-2007, 19:30
this looks like a good thread to ask my question...

looking at Packing.org, under North Carolina...it says:

Permits/licenses that this state honors:

...and lists South Carolina

but under States that honor this state's Permit/License:

it says South Carolina, but adds Resident Permit/License only...

is that the root of the issue up for vote? where we'll (NC) honor your (SC) permit, but you won't honor ours?

what is a Resident Permit/License? is that anything I can get? or is it for permanent SC residents only? (I see Non-resident Permit/License OK listed under other states)...

Thanks.
Greg

BEANCOUNTER
06-26-2007, 21:44
Originally posted by BigWaylon
...what is a Resident Permit/License?
Some states, like Florida, will issue concealed weapons licenses to both residents and non-residents.

Florida's non-resident license allows out-of-state holders to carry while in Florida (and while in some other states as well).

Florida has a reciprocity agreement with North Carolina and 31 other states. This means that if you have a NC CCW, you can legally carry in Florida. If you hold either a resident or non-resident Florida permit, you can can legally carry in NC (according to Florida's website).

Some states, however, will accept only resident CCW's. For example, West Virginia will honor the Florida concealed weapon license only if the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

South Carolina has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with Florida, so SC permit holders are not allowed to carry in Florida (unless they can obtain a Florida non-resident license) and Florida license holders aren't allowed to carry in SC. Drinkoj's post above is not at all encouraging that this will change any time soon.

BigWaylon
06-27-2007, 05:51
Originally posted by BEANCOUNTER
Some states, like Florida, will issue concealed weapons licenses to both residents and non-residents.

Florida's non-resident license allows out-of-state holders to carry while in Florida (and while in some other states as well).

Florida has a reciprocity agreement with North Carolina and 31 other states. This means that if you have a NC CCW, you can legally carry in Florida. If you hold either a resident or non-resident Florida permit, you can can legally carry in NC (according to Florida's website).

Some states, however, will accept only resident CCW's. For example, West Virginia will honor the Florida concealed weapon license only if the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

South Carolina has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with Florida, so SC permit holders are not allowed to carry in Florida (unless they can obtain a Florida non-resident license) and Florida license holders aren't allowed to carry in SC. Drinkoj's post above is not at all encouraging that this will change any time soon.

does that mean that SC will honor my NC permit since I'm an NC resident?

but it would NOT honor a non-resident NC permit?

Greg

BigWaylon
06-27-2007, 15:17
I think I may have searched and found the answer myself:

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

As of February 22, 2007, states with which South Carolina has reciprocity are:

Alaska, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

looks like NC is now one of the select few...since I have an actual permit as an NC resident...

Greg

drinkoj
06-28-2007, 03:32
Was about to mention that BigWaylon but see you saw it.

Now for us Sandlapper's wanting to be able to carry in GA and FL, New Hampshire for $20 as a non resident seems to be the way to go; per gun instructor. Hate to do that, but a person must do what a person must.

I'm still not sure if I'll get my CWP once I purchase a handgun, but again, it's about my choice and rights.

Got a friend willing to part with his Glock 22, three 15 round clips, mod 3.5 trigger and sight, and a few other items for $400, plus sell me a nice .22 target pistol for some extra, that my kids feel in love with when he taught them to shoot a while back. So it looks like I'm about to drop some money into a new hobby/obsession. :wavey:

BEANCOUNTER
06-28-2007, 20:50
Originally posted by drinkoj
,,,Now for us Sandlapper's wanting to be able to carry in ...FL, New Hampshire for $20 as a non resident seems to be the way to go; per gun instructor. Will he bail you out if things go wrong while you are in the Sunshine State?

According to Florida's Div. of Licensing, New Hampshire issues concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents which cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision. So unless you hold a license as a NH resident, don't CCW in Florida with a NH non-resident license.

Here is the link (be sure to read the footnotes):
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

drinkoj
06-29-2007, 02:37
Will he bail you out if things go wrong while you are in the Sunshine State?
Not a chance in a h3ll. Thus why I ask questions and post things like this to find out about FL #6 footnote. ;)

Now anybody got something to say about the GA one, as that's the state I personally will need IF I choose to get a CWP.

I wonder why neither state (FL or SC) will accept the others CWP? Seems both states require training, background checks, and a registration. While I understand why some in SC wouldn't choose to accept a GA CWP, as I've got a few friends that don't want non-trained/schooled persons allowed to enter into SC with a CWP, but not FL. DON'T FLAME ME, I disagree with them, as I am a strong State's rights advocate for the state someone resides and think military training should count for something.

BEANCOUNTER
07-02-2007, 20:41
I wonder why neither state (FL or SC) will accept the others CWP?
Florida won't accept out-of-state CCW's unless the other state accepts Florida's (at least the resident licenses) and has entered into a formal reciprocity agreement.

So in Florida, each reciprocity state (there are 31 of them) has extended the privilege of concealed carry to holders of Florida CCW's. Florida has, in turn, extended that same privilege to the licensees of these states.

Since SC hasn't entered into a reciprocity agreement with Florida, you can't legally carry in the Sunshine State.

For the past few years now, Florida's Div. of Licensing has been quietly working hard on reciprocity for us Florida CCW holders. I am amazed at their success. (This is important: Under Fl. statutes, they have been granted the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements without having to go back to the legislature every time another state is added.)

Florida is CCW friendly, but why should Florida accept SC's CCW's as long as SC absolutely refuses to accept Florida's? From your previous post, I'm not at all encouraged that this will happen anytime soon.

drinkoj
07-03-2007, 10:14
Florida is CCW friendly, but why should Florida accept SC's CCW's as long as SC absolutely refuses to accept Florida's?

And again, I wonder why they won't accept each others when they both have similar requirements? What standard is not being met by the other state, is more or less my question. Or is it just a piss'n match; just dumb politics.

BEANCOUNTER
07-03-2007, 10:55
And again, I wonder why they won't accept each others when they both have similar requirements? What standard is not being met by the other state, is more or less my question. Or is it just a piss'n match; just dumb politics. Yes, it is politics, but not Florida's. The reason you can't carry in FL with a SC permit is all SC's fault.

Here is the official answer from Florida Div. of Licensing from the link I posted above:
-------
ANSWERS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT RECIPROCITY AND TRAVELING WITH A FIREARM

QUESTION 2. There are a number of states that issue concealed carry licenses but do not have a reciprocity agreement with Florida. Why?

Answer: The State of Florida will honor the concealed weapon/firearm permits issued by another state PROVIDED THAT the other state will agree to honor the licenses issued by Florida. The states listed above are the only ones that have agreed to honor Florida permits.

There are a number of reasons why other states refuse to honor Florida licenses. Some states will recognize another state's licenses only if that other state's gun laws are substantially similar to their own. South Carolina, for example, will not honor Florida licenses because Florida's issuance standards differ from South Carolina's standards on key points. Other states simply do not have the statutory authority to establish reciprocal agreements with other states. Oregon is among the states in this latter category.

drinkoj
07-04-2007, 03:48
Sigh, that's what if figured; politics. Just by looking briefly over the differences, there not all that different. Not like the GA and SC differences.

Well, if 3212 gets to Gov Mark Stanford I believe he'll sign it into law due.

Thx for the response.

Magnum 357
07-09-2007, 16:51
Please keep updates coming!!!