New Jersey shooters - how long did it take you, and some other questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey shooters - how long did it take you, and some other questions.

Ferox
05-03-2007, 20:33
I applied for my pistol permits and license around 2 weeeks ago, my town of Toms River is notorious for taking 6 months for everything to come back.

Just wanted to see how long it took everyone else. I was still able to buy a gun and shoot at "sure shot pistol range" in lakewood, took a safety course, just cant take the gun home until I get my permit.

also I wanted to see if we have anything good in our state in terms of competitions and advanced firearms training, or am I gonna have to go out of state.

njtta150
05-04-2007, 13:40
took me about 4-5 months to get mine back. i am surprised it didnt take a full 6 months. hope you get yours just as fast.

you can check out www.anjrpc.org for info on shoots.

Patterson
05-05-2007, 14:27
I can't remember how long it actually took. It was somewhere in the 9 - 12 week range for both the FID & Pistol Purchase Permit. I've been to Shore Shot a few times. Some of the folks there (Andy, Todd) can be very nice & helpful. You might also try joining the outdoor Range @ Ft Dix where an annual membership is around $60 but you pay $3 for each hr you shoot when you go. They also have skeet shooting. More info can be found @ <http://www.dixmwr.com/Recreation%20_Facilities/Rod%20&%20Gun%20Club/RodGun_Home.htm>

I would recommend visiting the ANJRPC website <http://www.anjrpc.org/> for other training opportunities & general information.

One other thing you might consider when purchasing in the future is finding an FFL. When I purchased my first pistol, I did a considerable amount of research regarding pricing. I eventually found a pharmacist who is also an FFL and charges a flat $20 markup over his cost on any firearm you buy. It ended up being a lot cheaper to go through him & the turn around time was quick.

Good luck with the wait!

Bobbyson1a
05-06-2007, 18:49
I waited 4-6 weeks to get my permit.

Glock&Load
05-11-2007, 00:09
To my amazement here in Kearny I got mine in 2 weeks. I was expecting 6 months from what I heard from other people. But 2 weeks later i got a postcard in the mail telling me to pick up my permit. And the 2nd and 3rd permits I got they took only 2 days at the most. The officer told me once you get the 1st permit the rest are quick unless something comes up on the background check.

You should always call and ask the status because state law says it should only take 30 or 60 days I'm not sure which.

Don't it suck to live in this state? High property taxes, insurance,housing cost. Why do we take this nonsense?

2004ej
05-18-2007, 10:18
For me about 2 years ago it took 6 months, I live in South Jersey and had to go through the local State Police Barracks. My wife just picked her's up last week and took her about 3 months. I hear its better to have a local police dept. the time won't be as long. If your lucky enough to live in an area with a local dept.

Gotta love NJ.......

Matrix62
05-31-2007, 11:47
Hey,

I pretty much did the same thing you did- applied for my permit and shot my pistol at Shore Shot until the paperwork came in. In Brick it took 8 months to go through, the people in the records office were polite as can be, they pretty much blamed the delay on the state returning the necessary information.

For competitions I shoot steel targets at Central Jersey and Oldbridge. I want to try IPSC there soon. I believe Oldbridge also has IDPA and bullseye leagues. Central Jersey has the GSSF once a year- last year I won $25! (random drawing lol).

MAUSER88
06-07-2007, 13:33
I'm in Forked River and waiting over 3 1/2 months for mine. I have only been getting them for the last 22 years!!!

Best range in the State is here www.cjrpc.com I've been a member for 20 years.

karateman
06-07-2007, 19:44
I Got FID in a little less than 3 months. Now Hand Gun permits take only about 2-4 wks. I have also shot at Shore Shot, I like them because you can shoot, 9mm carbines there. Little more costly than some other ranges but nice and small. Now just waiting for my Fla. Non-Res CCW. just sent in a couple of wks ago. The 90 day wait has begun.

Marauder.45
06-07-2007, 20:10
Originally posted by Matrix62

For competitions I shoot steel targets at Central Jersey and Oldbridge. I want to try IPSC there soon. I believe Oldbridge also has IDPA and bullseye leagues. Central Jersey has the GSSF once a year- last year I won $25! (random drawing lol).

What he said.

Mine took 9 weeks. Now new purchase permits take about 3 weeks. I've gotten alot of them over the last few years.:tongueout:

Glock shoot is next weekend. Haven't done any shoots in Oldbridge yet.

CooperGlocker
07-11-2007, 08:49
Originally posted by Glock&Load
To my amazement here in Kearny I got mine in 2 weeks. I was expecting 6 months from what I heard from other people. But 2 weeks later i got a postcard in the mail telling me to pick up my permit. And the 2nd and 3rd permits I got they took only 2 days at the most. The officer told me once you get the 1st permit the rest are quick unless something comes up on the background check.

You should always call and ask the status because state law says it should only take 30 or 60 days I'm not sure which.

Don't it suck to live in this state? High property taxes, insurance,housing cost. Why do we take this nonsense?

Lucky, when I lived in Kearny about a year ago it took me 108 days.

Southside
07-24-2007, 13:46
It is now six weeks that I am waiting for my permits,called headquarters today they said they were waiting for my prints to come back,and for my references also have not come back sa of yet.
Strange to me is that just before I made that call I had a phone conversation with one of my two references,the wife of my other referance and she told me that they have not received any mail about the permits.I guess i'll hane a good story to tell when they do come through.