Illinois res.should bring FOID to buy a gun in KY ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Illinois res.should bring FOID to buy a gun in KY ?

Nata
05-03-2007, 21:26
Sorry for my ignorance, but as an Illinois resident, do I need to bring my FOID if I decide to buy a gun in KY?

cwshootersupply
05-03-2007, 22:11
yes it is required by federal law that the sale must legal in both states and IL requires it so it is needed

Nata
05-03-2007, 22:46
Thanks

Gary G23
05-04-2007, 16:07
Also keep in mind that you can only buy a long gun out of state, not a handgun, and that the 24 hour waiting period still applies.

Berretta9
05-04-2007, 17:26
what 24 hour waiting period ??

Nata
05-04-2007, 18:15
Illinistan mandate "cooling down period" for gun purchases..(add that to higher prices for similar items and higher purchase tax, please do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy in ILL)

Then, I dont belive private sales are influenced to much by this..

Egyas
05-04-2007, 18:51
Originally posted by Gary G23
Also keep in mind that you can only buy a long gun out of state, not a handgun, and that the 24 hour waiting period still applies.

Explain to me your reference for this comment. This is completely counter to my understanding of firearms laws. While in Colorado last week, I ALMOST bought a Walther P-22. They had a good sale, I just didn't have enough money with my to buy it AND have the fuel margin I wanted for the trip back to Illinois. The dealer NEVER mentioned one word about not being able to buy a handgun.

cwshootersupply
05-04-2007, 20:48
Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the sellerís licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaserís State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licenseeís business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

Here it is straight from the horse's mouth

Egyas
05-04-2007, 23:13
Then I stand corrected. I had not heard that before. Thankfully I didn't buy that Walther then, as the LAST thing I need is to wind up part of an illegal firearm deal. Sheesh!

Nata
05-06-2007, 02:51
@cwshootersupply
Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the sellerís licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaserís State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licenseeís business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

As I am quite new here and I want to make sure I dont make mistakes, I still have a question after reading the above message, because I see you touch only deals between a licensed dealer and a non-licensed party. Please clarify for me the issue of transactions between private parties (non licensed) residing in diferent states.

1) Is it a face to face buy-sell transaction legal in this case?
2) What about a face to face trade (exchanging two firearms)between two ppl. each residing in another state?

Gary G23
05-06-2007, 06:00
1. No
2. No

cwshootersupply
05-06-2007, 12:37
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the personís own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides

Once you across a state line then federal gun law is in effect. Of course you can do what ever you want ,but if the right peaple find out then...:worried:

Nata
05-06-2007, 17:14
Thank you for the explanation, better not to make errors of judgement due to missing information.

Bren
05-07-2007, 16:04
Originally posted by Nata
Illinistan mandate "cooling down period" for gun purchases..(add that to higher prices for similar items and higher purchase tax, please do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy in ILL)

Then, I dont belive private sales are influenced to much by this..
No, but private sales between residents of different states are a felony.

Flinter
05-09-2007, 19:59
No, but private sales between residents of different states are a felony

1. Does this apply to immediate family members?
2. Are immediate family members that reside in another state allowed to take possesion of a firearm as a gift or inheritance?

Gary G23
05-10-2007, 17:02
1. Yes
2. Gift - No
Inheritance - Yes (as long as it isn't an NFA firearm)