Slayed the Smallmouth yesterday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slayed the Smallmouth yesterday

Pyzik
05-04-2007, 08:10
Got out of work yesterday and the weather was perfect for fishing. 72 degrees, sunny, very little wind. I ran home, changed and headed to Standish Dam, down the road from my place.
There were 4 or 5 guys fishing there already, but my spot was open. Threw on an "Original Floater" Rapala, and casted just up from the swirls where the water tapers into the river. 1st cast caught a 21" Smallmouth, don't have a scale and I can't guess weight so I don't know what she weighed. Caught one later that wasn't as long but was the heaviest smallie I have ever caught.
Caust one every other cast or so. A couple guys that were there when I got there got mad, cursed and left:rofl:. Caught about 40 or so Smallmouth in an hour and a half:banana:. 30 or so were "keepers".
Bass are spawning now in Michigan so it's not season(I was 'Pike fishing'), and I toss 'em all back anyway.
I brought a change of clothes with me to work today so I can just head strait out to another little spot I know taday.:supergrin:

Just thought I'd share.

357glocker
05-05-2007, 14:46
Awesome. It's been awhile since I've caught a smallmouth. At lake Okaboji in Northern IA I used to hook a few of 20-22" smallies. I'd say they were 5-6lbs. That's a trophy smallmouth in my book:thumbsup:

XMM
05-07-2007, 07:54
Originally posted by 357glocker
Awesome. It's been awhile since I've caught a smallmouth. At lake Okaboji in Northern IA I used to hook a few of 20-22" smallies. I'd say they were 5-6lbs. That's a trophy smallmouth in my book:thumbsup:

Yup, I've fished Okoboji and Spirit Lake a number of times. Great spot for our past of the country! ;)

To the OP, I used to love going fishing right after work! Some awesome memories - enjoy your time out there. I may just have to go fishing tomorrow on my day off. If I hustle with my errands, I can be out to the ponds by 2pm or so. :supergrin: