Bunny control...via Mossberg!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bunny control...via Mossberg!!

XMM
05-05-2007, 10:07
Ha. :)

This picture was taken not 5 minutes ago. :supergrin:

I was sitting out on the back deck about 10 minutes ago, noticing a couple of rabbits scampering around. I looked to my left and there were two more; a look to my right revealed two more! My mind said, "too many!!" I went in and got my Mossberg Plinkster .22lr with a cheapo BSA scope on it. Two shots were fired from 45 yards away.....here is the result! Two cute but pesky bunnies with holes right behind the shoulders. ;) Who says that a $90 rifle and a $25 scope can't be effective? :tongueout:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/tjhands/G23004.jpg

XMM
05-05-2007, 10:15
Getting ready to skin them and quarter them. :wavey: I'll tell my wife it's beef......see if she notices. ;)

hpracing007
05-05-2007, 10:17
What dish are you gonna be making with them?

:eat:

Damon Sriv
05-05-2007, 10:17
Nice shooting, how are you going to cook them?

XMM
05-05-2007, 10:40
Stewed sounds good. With veggies! :eat:
Heading out now to clean 'em up. It's been awhile since I've "ett" rabbit, but I didn't realize there were so many around us! The skin's so loose on these two, I doubt I'll even need the knife. My mouth is watering already.

El_Ron1
05-05-2007, 11:05
Here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
Hippity, hoppity,
Easter's on its way.

:supergrin:

vern23
05-05-2007, 11:08
That sure is some green grass. What kind of fertilizer are you using on it? (other than the blood of rabbits)

El_Ron1
05-05-2007, 11:15
Originally posted by vern23
That sure is some green grass. What kind of fertilizer are you using on it? (other than the blood of rabbits) Bunny droppings are rich in plant nutrients.

XMM
05-05-2007, 11:23
Originally posted by vern23
That sure is some green grass. What kind of fertilizer are you using on it? (other than the blood of rabbits)

Good ole' Iowa black river dirt! Best in the nation. :thumbsup: Looks like this every year, regardless of whether we have someone fertilize or not.

AJ Dual
05-05-2007, 11:42
"I WANTS MY HASSENPHEFER!"

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/yosemite_sam.gif

Thirdeye
05-05-2007, 11:50
When I saw "Mossberg" in the title, I thought you meant "Mossberg 500". Needless to say Im dissappointed:sad: Happy eating though:supergrin:

XMM
05-05-2007, 12:06
Originally posted by Thirdeye
When I saw "Mossberg" in the title, I thought you meant "Mossberg 500". Needless to say Im dissappointed:sad: Happy eating though:supergrin:

Got one of those, too! ;) At 45 yards, the .22 seemed a better choice, though. :supergrin:

XMM
05-05-2007, 14:26
Ahhhhh, the smell of stewed bunny is filling the kitchen! :) Luckily my wife is still gone. Maybe if I hurry I can get these things cooked up and in the fridge by the time she gets home!! :supergrin:

BEER
05-05-2007, 14:55
it's black.

it has a scope.

it has an assault style high capacity magazine.

it's semi automatic.

yep, seems like a sporting purpose for such a nasty evil sniper assault weapon, but watch it around your kids, those things have a bad habit of jumping up and going on killing spress all by themselves (the rifle, not the kids).

sorry, i had to. :rofl:

postpostban
05-05-2007, 15:07
Is it Wabbit season right now? Did you just proudly post an act of Poaching?

Iowa DNR says Sept. 1 - Feb. 28, 2007 Cottontail rabbit

dave_pro2a
05-05-2007, 15:09
Originally posted by postpostban

It's a-ok, they were trespassing. And who made you the rabbit police?

postpostban
05-05-2007, 15:10
Originally posted by dave_pro2a
It's a-ok, they were trespassing. And who made you the rabbit police?

Nobody, Just asking a question. I promise I won't arrest you.

I just don't post crimes on the internet that's all.

jtm62
05-05-2007, 15:13

You know... A Hunting License is a way for the state to make money. And hunting seasons are silly, but I suppose needed. It is another drain on the people who actually kill to eat.

It has been clear throughout the thread that he killed the rabbits and now has the intent of eating them. No harm, no foul.

Plus, he was on private property, why should the state have any control over what he kills and eats on his property?

Nice work XMM! :thumbsup:

postpostban
05-05-2007, 15:23
Hunting seasons are established to allow hunting at the right time for the species. Winter is a time when rabbits don't have young ones or are pregnent. More than likely, he hes left some small rabbits to starve to death. I never said one word about licences.

I'm not a tree hugger, I enjoy Rabbit deer, etc. I'm glad he's eating them, I hope they turn out nice. I just don't agree with shooting them out of season, then posting it of a gun board.

Not every one who gets on a site like this is as understanding. Bragging about poaching doesn't really reflect well on us.

PDogSniper
05-05-2007, 15:29

They were doing or about to do damage to livestock or property... Free reign. Everyone has the right to protect property from wildlife...:tongueout:

jtm62
05-05-2007, 15:53
Hunting seasons are established to allow hunting at the right time for the species. Winter is a time when rabbits don't have young ones or are pregnent. More than likely, he hes left some small rabbits to starve to death. I never said one word about licences.

I'm not a tree hugger, I enjoy Rabbit deer, etc. I'm glad he's eating them, I hope they turn out nice. I just don't agree with shooting them out of season, then posting it of a gun board.

Not every one who gets on a site like this is as understanding. Bragging about poaching doesn't really reflect well on us.

Fair deal. I just don't agree with the idea of seasons. And I don't consider this instance poaching... although, from a technical standpoint it is. Shall we agree to disagree? ;)

For the record, I do not hunt, nor have the desire too do so.

harleyfx69
05-05-2007, 16:12
I just don't agree with the idea of seasons

thats not agreeable right there ..

it was mentioned above that the animals have seasons where they have little ones to take care of that can starve and die if the mother is killed,

im not much into hunting but if certain animals come into my yard nad threaten me or my animals they will not be leaving the same way they came in regardless of season ..

and i applaud you for eating what you kill ! good job !

dave_pro2a
05-05-2007, 16:22
More than likely, he hes left some small rabbits to starve to death.

Rabbits are just big rats that can jump high.

jtm62
05-05-2007, 16:44
Originally posted by harleyfx69
thats not agreeable right there ..

it was mentioned above that the animals have seasons where they have little ones to take care of that can starve and die if the mother is killed,

im not much into hunting but if certain animals come into my yard nad threaten me or my animals they will not be leaving the same way they came in regardless of season ..

and i applaud you for eating what you kill ! good job !

Harley, it's a simple matter of survival of the fittest. Those rabbits could have gotten hit by a car and the babies would still die. An eagle or hawk could swoop out of the sky and pick up one of those rabbits and the same thing would happen.

Hawks need to eat. Eagles need to eat. People need to eat. (Yes the killing of the rabbits was not needed in this cause, but justified, as it became dinner.)

Predators hunt prey, and rabbits are pray, and in most places they are over populated, so, the loss of 5 little ones to satisfy something higher up on the chain is not a big loss.

XMM, now I'm curious, were they female rabbits? :wavey: :banana: :rofl:

harleyfx69
05-05-2007, 16:47
like i said jt ..

i dont have a problem with it just i wont kill them for sport .. and i believe that their breeding seasons should be respected ..

XMM
05-05-2007, 17:10
Just to clear things up......I made hushpuppies out of the wee ones. Threw them straight into the oil without batter. If that's the worst crime I committed this week, I'm doing OK.

They are rabbits, guys, not bald eagles. Take a two-minute break from your DNR mindset and just soak up the beauty of eating what you kill.

They tasted marvelous. :)

P.S. I'm sure with a little work you could find out exactly who I am and where I live. If you're gonna report me for poaching, I'll gladly do my time with the memory of how friggin' good those little bunnies tasted! :wavey:

hpracing007
05-05-2007, 17:53
not being a hunter, i didn't even think about the hunting season... Thanks for mentioning that, I learned something heh.

Oh well, what's done is done. what all did your rabbit stew consist of?

harleyfx69
05-05-2007, 18:07
the little ones make better shishkabobs :grill:

MooseJaw
05-05-2007, 18:15
Why not rent a movie, for after dinner..

mayber "Fatal Attraction"..

;)

XMM
05-05-2007, 18:16
Originally posted by hpracing007
not being a hunter, i didn't even think about the hunting season... Thanks for mentioning that, I learned something heh.

Oh well, what's done is done. what all did your rabbit stew consist of?

I didn't think of a hunting season either. The stew is rabbit, beef broth, onions, carrots, taters, corn, green beans, and barley. :)

XMM
05-05-2007, 18:17
Originally posted by MooseJaw
Why not rent a movie, for after dinner..

mayber "Fatal Attraction"..

;)

She killed that rabbit out of season! She ought to be arrested! Oh wait, that bunny is the least of her worries......:supergrin:

MooseJaw
05-05-2007, 18:19
XMM

:thumbsup:

Bucky69
05-05-2007, 19:56
Round these parts, most varmints are in season all year long. For sure racoons are - don't know about them pesky, forever breading wabbits thought.

PDogSniper
05-05-2007, 20:03
Originally posted by XMM
She killed that rabbit out of season! She ought to be arrested! Oh wait, that bunny is the least of her worries......:supergrin:

That's for dang sure... You realize the punishment one can go through from the GT'ers here...:shocked:

XMM
05-05-2007, 20:12
Originally posted by PDogSniper
That's for dang sure... You realize the punishment one can go through from the GT'ers here...:shocked:

I'm slowly starting to realize that. ;) I thought all I had to worry about were the actual LEOs. Apparently the DNR guys are scoping us out as well!! Oh well, I have always lived on the edge. If I die in an out-of-season raid tonight, at least I'll have rabbit protein to keep me going!!! :supergrin:

Molon Wabbit!!!

PBCounty
05-05-2007, 22:49
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/magnum-pi-jh.jpg

Originally posted by postpostban:

mossy500camo
05-06-2007, 00:10
Originally posted by Thirdeye

HECK me too!:sad:

ps
Nice shooting!:noevil:

Razoreye
05-07-2007, 22:48
XMM, why not use your XMM? :supergrin:

Did your wife know what it was she was eating? Details, man, details!

Mossy500, like the new avie!

noway
05-08-2007, 07:57
OP, Hey can I bring my bowl to your table?

I'll even bring the ingredients you just provide the wabbits

Noway Rabbit soup

items:

OP 2 rabbits skinned,clean, quartered

2 sticks of fresh sweet corn, chucked and clean and the kernels shaved off

1 sml bag of babby carrots

2med white potatotes, peeled and dice small

2 garlic cloves peeled and smashed

4 can of organic chicken stock

2 tsp of black pepper

1 big jalapeno pepper

1 medium onion diced

2 sticks of celery chopped

combine all rabbits parts, chicken stock, black pepper, and garlic, in to a crockpot and cook on medium until the meat able to fall from the bones or can be picked from the bone.

Add all other veggies and cook until carrots and potatoes are tender.

Serve in big dish bowl with crack or wheat bread.

mossy500camo
05-08-2007, 09:25
Originally posted by Razoreye

Mossy500, like the new avie!

Thanks my friend!:thumbsup:

duncan
05-08-2007, 13:19
Poaching and lurching any game out of season is illegal and not right.

Poachers are subject to criminal laws, ranging from misdemeanors to felonies. Penalties may include steep fines, jail sentences, the FORFEITURE of any poached game or fish, the loss of hunting and fishing license privileges for several years, and the forfeiture of hunting or fishing equipment, boats, and vehicles used in the poaching.

It's one thing if wildlife are truly threatening your crops or your livestock. Then most states allow for the taking of usurping wildlife.

While I like to eat rabbit myself nothing in the above leads me to think they were tearing up anyone's vegatable garden.

WHY? . . .

I would stick to hunting during set seasons as I know of one one guy who lost his brand new H3 Hummer and a nice set of rifles for capping a blacktail with a 22lr rifle at dusk with a state game agent just 100 yards away. I was wild turkey hunting and drove by this fool crying as his Hummer was loaded on a trailer heading to the state impound for sale or disposition.

:tongueout:

I'm all for personal freedoms but that guy who lost his Hummer, was not very happy for a mangy ole deer! And you really don't want to make a game agent or state attorney's day! You could be their trophy for justice.

And it's wrong to do.

We have to obey the law otherwise the anti's will say look at what this guy did with a gun. What illegal action will he do next? It's a slippery slope.

I'd avoid that practice in the future.

vafish
05-09-2007, 07:18
There are 2 issues here. The legal issue and the ethical issue.

Ethically, I have no problem with a person who shoots an animal on their own property and eats it. As long as the animal dies a quick death and the animal is not endanger of extinction.

Legally, shooting game animals out of season is a crime. I'm pretty sure that GT rules state you are not supposed to discuss illegal actions here.

Committing a crime and posting about it on the internet is not a smart idea. I doubt the game warden is going to be kicking down doors over a couple of rabbits, but you never know when a post like this will come back and bite you.

Glocktex
05-11-2007, 08:38
This just about sums it up!

XMM
05-13-2007, 14:55
Yes, I forgot to add that these rabbits were devouring our vegetable garden. They were absolute incorrigible pests. That's the only reason I did them in. I was remiss to leave that crucial, exonerating piece of information out initially. Sorry fellas.

PDogSniper
05-13-2007, 15:23
Originally posted by XMM
Yes, I forgot to add that these rabbits were devouring our vegetable garden. They were absolute incorrigible pests. That's the only reason I did them in. I was remiss to leave that crucial, exonerating piece of information out initially. Sorry fellas.

+! for you, you have a right to protect the food crop that's gonna feed your family... :thumbsup: :tongueout: for the rest...:supergrin:

mossy500camo
05-13-2007, 20:13
Originally posted by XMM
They were absolute incorrigible pests. That's the only reason I did them in.

That's more than enough reason. I hate pest.

michaelj1978
06-07-2007, 14:10
I'd have done the same and shot them if they were on my property, especially in my garden. However I probably wouldn't have eaten them as they are out of season and I believe could be full of parasites. I tend to wait after the first or second hard freeze to kill off the stragglers then I'll eat the survivors (after I kill them of course) :supergrin:

Nothing wrong with what he did. There will always be enough rabbit to go around.

mauser
07-07-2007, 10:09
now, after i read this all, i am sure that america MUST be the glory land for any hunter and gun owner:hearts:

i love america, the cheap prices for guns and fishing gear and the possibility, that you just can shoot some pests out of your garden....right in to your oven:hearts:

for the rest-if you do so in germany, you will seriously go to jail with the same:rofl: .......:sad:

XMM
07-07-2007, 13:05
Wow, really? You're heading to jail for eating a rabbit?

I'm 50% German and proud of it but I'm 100% happy to be living here!

:thumbsup:

Those bunnies are forever a part of me now and that feels good. I thank them for their "XMM contribution."

Blitzer
07-07-2007, 13:52
Rabbits taken during warm weather has a lot of parasite issue to contend with, I won't eat them myself. :shocked: :sad:

mauser
07-07-2007, 14:05
jap-thats true with that parasites, but i think they would'nt survive a journey in a hot pan.

ok-now someone will say, that there are good things in germany too, but i am not interested in all that things. i want fishing, hunting an i love shooting.

if you want to go fishing in germany, you have to absolve examen for fishing-license, like driving scool. and hunting?......oooooh-just forget about it:rofl:

......but you can be extremely violent an criminal, yes, even kill somebody, and you will go to jail for 5 years if your lucky...isn't that stupid?