Computer CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RAM disk burning problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RAM disk burning problems

ElevenO
05-06-2007, 09:59
I just purchased a new computer a couple of weeks ago but I have some files that I would like to transfer from my old computer to my newly purchased computer. However, I am having great difficulty in acheiving this goal. Both my CD-and-DVD-ROM drives are exibiting the same problem. They'll each start burning information onto the disk and then, for no apparent reason, they'll quit and seem to get stuck on a file (regardless of what kind of file it is or how big it could be)and....that's it. They'll simply stop doing their job. Originally, I thought this problem was isolated to my cd-rom drive because, several nights ago, I sucessfully burned some information to a dvd-ram disk without any problems whatsoever. Then, about 2 days ago, my dvd-rom started to act like my cd-rom and just up and quit. I've tried several different disk (including DVD-R's, DVD-RAM's, CD-R's and CD-RW's) all to no avail...except for the 1 dvd-ram disk from about 4 nights ago. I've tried several different -RAM disk since then but my burning problem still remains.

Would someone please help me before I lose my freaking mind? :upeyes: :sad: :steamed: :badpc: :burn: :help: :frown: :freak: :impatient: :rollingeyes: :shakehead: :soap: :rant: :tempted:

BTW, I edited my message to simply say "thanks in advance". :wavey:

Washington,D.C.
05-06-2007, 10:10
What disk writing software are you using? Are you writing files from the hard drive to the disks?

G. Gunman
05-06-2007, 10:14
:animlol: Frustrating, isn't it! I'm not a computer IT guy; but, I'll share what I've learned with you: A lot has to do with the type of CD management software that came with your computer. I, also, suspect your problems might be related to the type(s) of files you're trying to transfer. For instance you cannot save an IE, 'Favorites' file to CD because the software won't support that particular file extension language.

The other problem you might be experiencing involves overload. If a file is too large, some CD burning software requires you to manually setup a multiple disk transfer. Much as I hate to say it, you're probably going to have to read the on-line manual that came with your computer in order to finally figure this thing out.

(And, if you got your computer from Gateway the same way I did, you might discover that you have to buy an upgraded CD/DVD software package to override the problems you're presently experiencing with the basic program that came with your new computer.)

Oh, yeah, if you also purchased one of those indispensable 2 year service contracts, then, tech support might be able to help.

;)

ElevenO
05-06-2007, 10:49
Originally posted by G. Gunman
:animlol: Frustrating, isn't it! I'm not a computer IT guy; but, I'll share what I've learned with you: A lot has to do with the type of CD management software that came with your computer. I, also, suspect your problems might be related to the type(s) of files you're trying to transfer. For instance you cannot save an IE, 'Favorites' file to CD because the software won't support that particular file extension language.

The other problem you might be experiencing involves overload. If a file is too large, some CD burning software requires you to manually setup a multiple disk transfer. Much as I hate to say it, you're probably going to have to read the on-line manual that came with your computer in order to finally figure this thing out.

(And, if you got your computer from Gateway the same way I did, you might discover that you have to buy an upgraded CD/DVD software package to override the problems you're presently experiencing with the basic program that came with your new computer.)

Oh, yeah, if you also purchased one of those indispensable 2 year service contracts, then, tech support might be able to help.

;)

Ohhhhhhhh crap. I think I'm screwed. :shocked:

Yes, I have a gateway :upeyes: and my basic software is a roxio cd creator 5 (or something like that). My computer is now about 5 or so years old so my 2 year tech support plan is about as useful as last weeks toilet tissue. :sad: :eyebrow:

At this point, I'm simply trying to save some word documents, a handful of videos and movies, and a limited number of .exe and .zip files that I have managed to accumulate over the last few years or so. The vast majority of my music and pictures have already been saved. The only big things that I've got left are a few bittorrent movies and video clips and several .exe's.

Why couldn't this crap have been simple? I should just be able to drag-and-drop/copy-and-paste from the harddrive to my disks without any friggin headaches but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo that ain't gonna happen, apparently.:frown: :rant: :brickwall: :steamed: :burn:

ElevenO
05-06-2007, 11:07
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
What disk writing software are you using? Are you writing files from the hard drive to the disks?

I'm using the basic roxio cd creator 5 and, yes, I'm trying to write from my hard drive to (preferably) some dvd-r and dvd-ram disk that I have recently purchased for this task. One more individual 4.7 GB disk should do it (and I should have about a half a disk of free space left over when all is finally said and done because I've only got about 2 more gigabytes of data that I still want to save). I also have some dvd-r/w disk but I found out they are not compatiable with my particular dvd drive so I'm limited to using either dvd-r's or dvd-ram's.

G. Gunman
05-06-2007, 11:32
:wow: Yup, Roxio #5 Basic! I've got it too; and it's, 'a bear' to use. The next question is, how large is your RAM? The bigger the better.

I finally gave up on trying to save to CD's, and bought one of these instead:

http://www.apricorn.com/products.php?cat_id=55

Washington,D.C.
05-06-2007, 12:04
Here's the software I use and it's free

http://filehippo.com/download_deepburner/

You may or may not have to uninstall Roxio for it to work properly.

Sgt. Schultz
05-07-2007, 18:24
I know this does not solve your CD burning issue but ... you can take the old hard drive out of the old computer and temporally put it into the new one, then copy the data directly from one drive to the other. Open up the new computer and disconnect the ribbon from the CD-DVD drive(s) and attach it to the old drive (along with a power plug). If you have room in the new computer you can mount it permanently and use it for additional storage or as a backup drive.

aaronrkelly
05-07-2007, 18:42
If they arent BIG files or you can move them in multiple runs. Buy a 1GB ($12) or 2GB ($22) thumb drive (USB memory key, etc). This will work FAR beter then CDs and they are SO useful everyone should have one.

IndyGunFreak
05-08-2007, 03:41
I agree with the above, and also with Gunman. Mass external storage is inexpensive right now, and its best to get it while its cheap.

Or, if you're not afraid to open up your old case and pull the old hard drive...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1337265&Sku=V13-3210

Whats the old PC going to be used for? Non CD/DVD backup drives are honestly extremely cheap right now.

If you don't want to put your old hard disk in an enclosure... I didn't go through the link Gunman posted to look at prices, but I got a 500gig USB drive for 160 from Tigerdirect, but they have them in varying sizes and prices... Sort the following link by price, and you'll find some good deals..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=136&

IGF

ElevenO
05-08-2007, 11:51
Guys, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I've given up on my roxio software so I've decided to use some different third party cd/dvd burning software (that I found on a freeware website) and, if that doesn't work, then I'll probably end up buying one of the external harddrives in IndyGunFreaks second link listed in his above post. Some of the prices are so good that I may end up doing that anyway regardless of whether or not my dvd's end up working for me or not.

Again, thanks for the help.

IndyGunFreak
05-08-2007, 12:03
Originally posted by ElevenO
Guys, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I've given up on my roxio software so I've decided to use some different third party cd/dvd burning software (that I found on a freeware website) and, if that doesn't work, then I'll probably end up buying one of the external harddrives in IndyGunFreaks second link listed in his above post. Some of the prices are so good that I may end up doing that anyway regardless of whether or not my dvd's end up working for me or not.

Again, thanks for the help.

If you're gonna go with a free burning software, I'd second Washington DC on Deepburner. Its pretty easy to use, and never gave me trouble.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
05-08-2007, 15:21
Not to beat a dead horse(you did say you were considering an external device of some type), but I was doing some shopping for some other things, and found this one at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136077

250gigs for 79, I'm not sure it can get any cheaper than that. TD has a couple 250gig drives for $89(including the one above)..

Just thought I'd pass it along.

IGF

ElevenO
05-09-2007, 00:28
IndyGunFreak, those external drives are beginning to look better and better to me right about now because, so far, my dvd's just haven't done well at all.:brickwall:

I've already downloaded and tried deepburner and, at first, everything seem to go pretty well with its first burn. However, after the burn was completed, I went into "my computer" and then double-clicked my "D:" drive to look at the dvd and all of the files which were supposed to have just been burned onto it and I saw.....nothing.:badpc: :dunno: :frown: :freak: :impatient: :rollingeyes: :shakehead: It was like the dvd drive refused---or could not see---the files and folders that DB had just finished burning onto the disk. So now I'm like :shocked: and :rollingeyes: and :crazy: and :upeyes: and (finally) I'm left here wondering what (again) went wrong this time:badpc: :brickwall: and whether or not I should just say "screw it" and go do a "computer box o'truth" with the old computer and my trusty 12 gauge and a few rounds of 000 buckshot? :2gun: :whistling: :psycho:

IndyGunFreak
05-09-2007, 10:38
Do you have a Fry's Electronics?

Again, not to beat a dead horse, but this deal while probably not as good($$ per gig) as the above, its 30 bucks cheaper, and only about 90gigs less. I don't think you could buy a 160gigs worth of DVDs for this price...

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4881370?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Edit: Just noticed you said you were going to put the old PC out of its misery if you didn't get this working. If its that unimportant, just get an enclosure like the one I put in my first post.. and if you have the mental capacity to plug in two cables, and turn 4 screws(;)), you'll have a USB backup drive.

How big is the drive on the old PC? If its only like 20-40gigs, I wouldnt bother, but if its in the 80gig range, I'd just get an enclosure.

IGF

Washington,D.C.
05-09-2007, 11:54
Some computers and sometimes software get confused when there is more than one burner in the PC. The older ones sometimes don't even like two drives even if only one of them is a burner. When you deep Burner you can tell it which drive to use. Also it's best to properly uninstall Roxio ans reboot the PC.

ElevenO
05-09-2007, 19:24
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Some computers and sometimes software get confused when there is more than one burner in the PC. The older ones sometimes don't even like two drives even if only one of them is a burner. When you deep Burner you can tell it which drive to use. Also it's best to properly uninstall Roxio ans reboot the PC.

Well....I'll say this much about my roxio software. I'm pretty sure the honeymoon is over between me and good ole roxio. :upeyes: :badpc:

IGF,
My comment about destroying my old computer with my shotgun was said partly :whistling: in jest. Actually, I'd prefer not to damage ANY of my computers in any way. However, if it comes down between destroying my sanity (or what's left of it, anyway :shocked: ;) ) or one of these computers......:whistling:

IndyGunFreak
05-09-2007, 19:36
Originally posted by ElevenO
Well....I'll say this much about my roxio software. I'm pretty sure the honeymoon is over between me and good ole roxio. :upeyes: :badpc:

IGF,
My comment about destroying my old computer with my shotgun was said partly :whistling: in jest. Actually, I'd prefer not to damage ANY of my computers in any way. However, if it comes down between destroying my sanity (or what's left of it, anyway :shocked: ;) ) or one of these computers......:whistling:

Man, sorry you're having so much trouble. What exactly are you trying to move to the new PC? Entire programs, or individual files, or what?...

Good Luck..

IGF

ElevenO
05-09-2007, 19:52
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
Man, sorry you're having so much trouble. What exactly are you trying to move to the new PC? Entire programs, or individual files, or what?...

Good Luck..

IGF

Both. Mostly a bunch of individual files as well as a handful of programs. The files in question range from simple "microsoft word" and "notebook" text documents, to some jpegs, mp3's, a limited number of video clips, a few bittorent movies, some .zip files,some .pdf's as well as the aforementioned programs.

Most of my mp3's and jpegs have been moved successfully but everything else is proving to be a pain in butt (at least so far).

Again, thanks to everyone for the help that each of you have given to me. As it looks right now, an external harddrive is most likely in my future. Once I do finally get everything that I want saved to the new PC, I wouldn't mind reformatting the old harddrive and using it as a back-up for the new PC. I know it's redundant but that doesn't bother me. A better question is would that (keeping the old hardrive as a back-up for the new pc) even be practical and/or smart to begin with?

ElevenO
05-09-2007, 19:57
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
I know this does not solve your CD burning issue but ... you can take the old hard drive out of the old computer and temporally put it into the new one, then copy the data directly from one drive to the other. Open up the new computer and disconnect the ribbon from the CD-DVD drive(s) and attach it to the old drive (along with a power plug). If you have room in the new computer you can mount it permanently and use it for additional storage or as a backup drive.

I like the above idea and I'm not afraid to open up the old case (or the new one, for that matter) if push comes to shove. I'd prefer to do everything with burned cd's and dvd's but if that doesn't eventually work then the above option becomes alot more tempting.