Sizing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sizing

PrincessCelica
05-07-2007, 13:50
I was thinking the other day (dangerous I know!) and I've come to the conclusion that manufacturers need to standardize sizes. A small needs to be a small no matter what. Ditto for pants; a 7 needs to be a 7 regardless of what brand it is.

I'm going through my closet and realized I have pants that range from a size 3 to a size 11. They all fit. It's not like I've been going through any funky weight changes. So um, why am I skinny enough for a size 3 but fat enough to be a size 11 at the same time?

I also have shirts ranging from a children's medium to an adult large. :headscratch: Again, each shirt fits me fine. It's ridiculous. Anyone else have this problem?

SouthernGal
05-07-2007, 13:58
Join the *****ing parade. I've been complaining about this for well over a year now.

Try finding ANYthing that will fit a 34-26-33. They may as well direct you to the children's department.

They call it "vanity sizing" and frankly, it sucks. Notice that they don't do it over in the men's department either. Go figure. It's because men don't care if they are a size 30 or a size 44. They'll buy what they need no matter what number size is on the tag.

PrincessCelica
05-07-2007, 21:47
I was lucky when longer jeans came into fashion. When I first made the switch from children's clothes to juniors, I had to buy my pants WAAAAAAAAAY too big in the waist to get them to fit my legs. Now I can buy pants that fit both my legs and my waist without having to delve too deeply.

I don't know what my actual measurements are, and honestly wouldn't even know how to measure. If someone could instruct me, I'd appreciate it.

Singlemalt
05-08-2007, 06:38
Originally posted by PrincessCelica

I don't know what my actual measurements are, and honestly wouldn't even know how to measure. If someone could instruct me, I'd appreciate it.

:supergrin:.......I could tell you but easier to assist......:supergrin:

SouthernGal
05-08-2007, 08:20
I was lucky when longer jeans came into fashion. When I first made the switch from children's clothes to juniors, I had to buy my pants WAAAAAAAAAY too big in the waist to get them to fit my legs. Now I can buy pants that fit both my legs and my waist without having to delve too deeply.

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Taking-Body-Measurements.asp

Some magazines like VS will show a body picture and show you where to line the tape measure up in order to measure yourself for clothes.

Mrs. Tink
05-08-2007, 12:19
Some catalogues for younger women (ex. Alloy, Delia's) suggest that pants can be worn around the waist or around the hips; they tell you to measure where you want your pants to fit and order accordingly. At least that seems to be more of a choice.

I saw a catalogue (Blair) where a "small" was a size 8-10. Guess they don't think that women smaller than that will order from them. :shocked:

AZ DBLTRBL
05-08-2007, 12:35
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Join the *****ing parade. I've been complaining about this for well over a year now.

Try finding ANYthing that will fit a 34-26-33. They may as well direct you to the children's department.

They call it "vanity sizing" and frankly, it sucks. Notice that they don't do it over in the men's department either. Go figure. It's because men don't care if they are a size 30 or a size 44. They'll buy what they need no matter what number size is on the tag.

You sound about the same size as I am - Not sure how tall you are (but probably taller than I am - everyone is)
I have been stuck buying my clothes from the "juniors" dept all my life. It can be a bit frustrating, as some of the fashions the teens wear would look ridiculous on me...but what do you do?! I am between a 1 and a 3, depending on the cut of that particular item, so anything in the "womens" dept is automatically too big (so I don't even bother.)

Even after I find something that fits ok, I still end up wacking off about 4" off the hem - I guess everyone in this country is 5'6" or taller....except me...and I refuse to wear any heel higher than 4" (and then only for special events - what is heck is wrong with flats and why can't I buy jeans that accomidate wearing them?!?)

PrincessCelica
05-08-2007, 14:13
I'm stuck in the middle on pants. The "regulars" are just too short after having been washed, and even sometimes before. The "talls" are too long and drag. I'm too lazy to actually hem them, though.

SouthernGal
05-08-2007, 14:32
Originally posted by AZ DBLTRBL
You sound about the same size as I am - Not sure how tall you are (but probably taller than I am - everyone is)
I have been stuck buying my clothes from the "juniors" dept all my life. It can be a bit frustrating, as some of the fashions the teens wear would look ridiculous on me...but what do you do?! I am between a 1 and a 3, depending on the cut of that particular item, so anything in the "womens" dept is automatically too big (so I don't even bother.)

Even after I find something that fits ok, I still end up wacking off about 4" off the hem - I guess everyone in this country is 5'6" or taller....except me...and I refuse to wear any heel higher than 4" (and then only for special events - what is heck is wrong with flats and why can't I buy jeans that accomidate wearing them?!?)

Yep! We're about the same size. I'm 5'3" and I can still buy in the junior's department OR if I want, in the children's sizes if I can find 14s. I wear anywhere between a 00 to a 3.

Very few designers have kept sizes small enough for us in their line. Ralph Lauren seems to be an exception as is Liz Claiborne and CK. I've resorted to buying used clothing online. As you probably know, if you don't sew, having alterations done is tricky and can be expensive.

Banana Republic and other companies have come out with a 00 size which does fit me but I'm not crazy about their styles.

SouthernGal
05-08-2007, 14:34
Originally posted by Mrs. Tink
Some catalogues for younger women (ex. Alloy, Delia's) suggest that pants can be worn around the waist or around the hips; they tell you to measure where you want your pants to fit and order accordingly. At least that seems to be more of a choice.

You're right. Usually a catalog will tell you how to measure yourself for THEIR particular brand.

SouthernGal
05-08-2007, 14:35
I'm stuck in the middle on pants. The "regulars" are just too short after having been washed, and even sometimes before. The "talls" are too long and drag. I'm too lazy to actually hem them, though.

The fact that I know how to sew has saved my rear end more than once. Sometimes I think I'm the only short person still alive.

chewybaca67
05-08-2007, 14:43
I know how you feel, even as a "guy." But not your average Joe, just your average "John" (slang for Navajo to Navajos). See, we are not known for having big butts..........or in my case.....any butt at all! So when ever I get pants, no matter what brand, it looks like I have a potato in me bum. I always tell my friends that we should open up a jeans company around the 4 Corners area (which also resembles me bum) and sell pnats just for Indin folk with our dimensions of course.

AZ DBLTRBL
05-08-2007, 14:49
Yep! We're about the same size. I'm 5'3" and I can still buy in the junior's department OR if I want, in the children's sizes if I can find 14s. I wear anywhere between a 00 to a 3.

Very few designers have kept sizes small enough for us in their line. Ralph Lauren seems to be an exception as is Liz Claiborne and CK. I've resorted to buying used clothing online. As you probably know, if you don't sew, having alterations done is tricky and can be expensive.

Banana Republic and other companies have come out with a 00 size which does fit me but I'm not crazy about their styles.

I can so understand..I am 5'0" so I have to hem EVERYTHING and it really is frustrating. I do not sew, so I have to hire someone to do it for me, or I just hack them off and give them the ol" good enough" hem...makes me wish I was 5'11" and was a size 0...but, as we all know, that is pretty creepy. Women with curves...when did that go out of style?!

SouthernGal
05-08-2007, 14:55
I can handle a hem or two but changing a waist to take it in gets tricky for me. Some of my old ("fat") clothes are still in my closet and I won't get rid of them because I looked so hard for them to begin with. But, they're sizes 10 and 12 and will need serious inches taken out of the waist and rear end before I can wear them.

You aren't the shortest person on the planet. My mom (who is 4'11") has you beat. :)

SouthernGal
05-08-2007, 14:57
Originally posted by chewybaca67
I know how you feel, even as a "guy." But not your average Joe, just your average "John" (slang for Navajo to Navajos). See, we are not known for having big butts..........or in my case.....any butt at all! So when ever I get pants, no matter what brand, it looks like I have a potato in me bum. I always tell my friends that we should open up a jeans company around the 4 Corners area (which also resembles me bum) and sell pnats just for Indin folk with our dimensions of course.

Is this where the lack of ass comes from? Is this an Indian thing? I'm part Native American and don't have much of one either.

windplex
05-08-2007, 15:07
They call it "vanity sizing" and frankly, it sucks. Notice that they don't do it over in the men's department either.

I found this at Wal-Mart in the men's department. Seems like everything I buy there has to by a size smaller to fit.

Not sure if it is vanity sizing or for practical purposes due to wal-mart's customer base getting larger or being larger. I shop there so not putting anyone down.

At one time sizes were too small I thought due to having things made in the far east and the size of men there. Not any more.

Go figure. It's because men don't care if they are a size 30 or a size 44. They'll buy what they need no matter what number size is on the tag.

Men do care less about the size number and about getting bigger IMO and in my observation. Heck some men feel bad about being too small and would prefer to be bigger. Know a fellow who is has to shop in the kids department mainly due to his slim waste and it bothers him how slim he is. And men's sizing used to include his size but not longer does and so off to the kids department.

Good luck to you ladies!

harleyfx69
05-08-2007, 15:10
lol ..

i too am a guy with problems ..

as is my dad .. he wears some weird pant size with a weird length ..

and since im cheap .. i have problems finding things at walmart ..

then also tshirts are another matter ..

like with certain T's .. an xl fits fine .. others a xl is tight ..

others a large is fine .. it sucks trying to clothes shop ..

oh and also another thing .. both things of hanes tshirts or some manufacter like that .. i got 2 packs of tshirts .. one white and one black .. the friggin white ones dont fit while the blacks are fine ..

chewybaca67
05-08-2007, 15:15
Is this where the lack of ass comes from? Is this an Indian thing? I'm part Native American and don't have much of one either.

Sadly, for some, it may be so. I personally don't mind at all. Regarding Indin women I mean.

PrincessCelica
05-08-2007, 17:34
Originally posted by chewybaca67
Sadly, for some, it may be so. I personally don't mind at all. Regarding Indin women I mean.

There are times I wonder if I've got some black in me somewhere. If I do, it shows up in my booty! Not that I'm complaining:supergrin:

chewybaca67
05-08-2007, 21:57
There are times I wonder if I've got some black in me somewhere. If I do, it shows up in my booty! Not that I'm complaining:supergrin:

The mix between Black folk and Indins has produced some mighty fine behinds!.....er....I mean people!

SouthernGal
05-09-2007, 07:48

Tis better to HAVE than to HAVE NOT.

Glockgirl26
05-09-2007, 08:12

Now this is interesting, I'd have never thought of it. My dad's great great grandfather was full blooded Blackfoot, and Dad has no ass and neither do I. But as SG could tell you, the rest of me looks like Hitler's ideal...tall, blonde, blue eyed and fair. Being as tall as I am is no picnic when it comes to buying pants either. Sometimes it's easier for me to just buy men's pants...at least they come in a 36" inseam.
:supergrin:

SouthernGal
05-09-2007, 10:10
Originally posted by Glockgirl26
Now this is interesting, I'd have never thought of it.

Me neither. Now I'm wondering what else my grandmother passed on to me. She missed giving me the "height" and "boob" genes, so why not the "ass" gene too?

Mrs. Tink
05-09-2007, 10:59
I have the "higher-up" ass gene. My butt is fairly normally sized, but then there's this extra fleshiness right around the area where my spine ends, just below the waistband of my pants. It's really irritating because sometimes it means that pants don't fit properly. Older women in our family ALL have exaggerated "upper butts." :shocked: :rofl:

SouthernGal
05-09-2007, 12:29
Originally posted by Mrs. Tink
I have the "higher-up" ass gene. My butt is fairly normally sized, but then there's this extra fleshiness right around the area where my spine ends, just below the waistband of my pants. It's really irritating because sometimes it means that pants don't fit properly. Older women in our family ALL have exaggerated "upper butts." :shocked: :rofl:

That's your "flank" according to one Dr. I know. I know this because a friend here at work just had liposuction on this area for the very same reason. No matter how many times a day she'd do 40 minute workouts, the bulges on her backside meant she had to have larger pants even though the waist didn't fit (too large).

They took 5450 out of her, and she's much more contoured in her problem areas now.

Mrs. VR
05-09-2007, 17:29
I have a waist in a place where most peoples hips are, so tell me about it. I'll tell you what's VERY disturbing though...little girl sizes are sized SMALLER than boy sizes. I know this because, duh, I have a boy and a girl less than two years apart. Emily wears a TEN in girl sizes (mostly for length, she still sometimes needs a belt, but she's growing into it), but a ten in BOYS sizes (hand me downs from sam) just SWIM ON HER. Something seriously wrong with that if you ask me. Little kids don't have hips to account for.

I'm also 5ft 1/2 inches, I usually have to cut off the "short" jeans, or wear heels with them. :upeyes:

April
05-09-2007, 17:42
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
...I'm also 5ft <i><u>1/2 inches</u></i>...

just felt like pointin' that out :supergrin:

Oh and I don't presently qualify to participate in this thread. I'm 5'5 but am carryin' a baby elephant for the next 3 months. :wavey:

Mrs. VR
05-09-2007, 18:07
Originally posted by FF Wife
just felt like pointin' that out :supergrin:

Oh and I don't presently qualify to participate in this thread. I'm 5'5 but am carryin' a baby elephant for the next 3 months. :wavey: oops that was 1 and a HALF inches. :tease:

Nephilim
05-18-2007, 18:55
You think it's bad for you, at least you can try it on ;) Try shopping for a girl. I like buying clothes for my wife, especially dresses... but it's ridiculous. My wife can wear between a size 6 and a 12 depending on the brand and cut. If we're using a real standard for any sort of measurement (or an average at least) she's a size 8.

It was mentioned earlier that guys will buy something because it's just what they need. That is really true... so is the fact that men are told their whole lives to be bigger and that big is good. Boys are told to grow big, to be tall, to be big and strong, etc. Men aren't as traumatized by starring their actual size right in the face.

One thing that's frustrating when looking for something for Joy... she's got a really large bust and really large hips, but a really small waist compared to the two. Clothing makers apparently haven't considered that it's possible to be busty and small waisted.

Nephilim
05-18-2007, 19:20
Have you guys thought about getting clothing custom taylored? There is a local seamstress who does amazing work and Joy can get things from her at a really really reasonable rate... like $40-50 for a really nice well cut blouse for work. You'd easily pay that at New York and Company or The Gap.

Glockgirl26
05-21-2007, 07:08
I have had clothes altered to fit...dresses off the rack won't fit me, I have to buy them in a 12 or 14 to fit my chest and have the waist taken in. But I don't know of anyone who actually makes custom clothing around here.

SouthernGal
05-21-2007, 08:06
Originally posted by Nephilim
Have you guys thought about getting clothing custom taylored? There is a local seamstress who does amazing work and Joy can get things from her at a really really reasonable rate... like $40-50 for a really nice well cut blouse for work. You'd easily pay that at New York and Company or The Gap.

I have a seamstress here in town who is an engineer by trade. She does great work, but you pay through the nose for it. Most simple alterations I do myself, but something more complex like my pinstripe suit that's a size 8 has to be cut down by a professional like her. Her big ticket items are mostly wedding gowns.

Nephilim
05-21-2007, 08:22
I have a seamstress here in town who is an engineer by trade. She does great work, but you pay through the nose for it.

The seamstress joy uses... I'm pretty sure she undervalues her own work. She's designed costumes for broadway and is an excellent designer/seamstress. If I were here I'd charge way way more.