No more pistol range at Chickahominy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No more pistol range at Chickahominy

williamN
05-07-2007, 15:00
After the renovation from July 1st - Aug. 31st there will be no more pistol shooting at the Chickahominy shooting range :sad:

PVanCleave
05-07-2007, 15:40
Originally posted by williamN
After the renovation from July 1st - Aug. 31st there will be no more pistol shooting at the Chickahominy shooting range :sad:

Says who?

williamN
05-07-2007, 16:06
There is a sign posted and just to make sure I e-mailed them. here is the e-mail I received.....

Mr. ********,
Pistol shooting is scheduled to be discontinued at the CWMA range when it re-opens in September. The range will operate as a sighting-in range for rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loader rifles. Operating periods and weapons use will be the same as the other four DGIF ranges. Thank you for your interest.

Phil West
Public lands Manager

PVanCleave
05-07-2007, 16:10
Originally posted by williamN
There is a sign posted and just to make sure I e-mailed them. here is the e-mail I received.....

Mr. ********,
Pistol shooting is scheduled to be discontinued at the CWMA range when it re-opens in September. The range will operate as a sighting-in range for rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loader rifles. Operating periods and weapons use will be the same as the other four DGIF ranges. Thank you for your interest.

Phil West
Public lands Manager

Damn. Looks like I need to call my DGIF contact and see if this can be headed off at the pass.

vafish
05-07-2007, 16:35
What about those of us who hunt with pistols as allowed by VA law?

PVanCleave
05-07-2007, 16:56
Originally posted by vafish
What about those of us who hunt with pistols as allowed by VA law?

Probably tough luck if VCDL can't stop this.

John Fry
05-07-2007, 22:26
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has become a Politically correct organization. They have changed the name of the Hunter Safety Program to Outdoor Education in an attempt to lure in more people. Handguns are intentionally de-emphasised in the Hunter Safety program. As of July 1, there will no longer be any Game Wardens, but Conservation Police Officers to take the game out of the Game department.

Carlitos
05-08-2007, 15:28
"The range will operate as a sighting-in range for rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loader rifles."

-that seems to describe about 90% of the rifle ranges I have ever seen: take rifle out of case; put on bench, site-in, go home. Repeat every weekend until you get bored of firearms & take up another interest.

That is what I did until I discovered pistol shooting, USPSA ("IPSC") GSSF, real practice for CCW, etc.

Kinda illustrates the divide between the "Jim Zumbo world of gun-owners" and us outlaw Glock/CCW/EBR-owner types, doesn't it?

Something tells me that "John Kerry the Duck Hunter" would approve of the new range policy. Sad.

HavinaPretzel
05-12-2007, 13:56
This SUCKS; Chickahominy's almost always where I go to shoot and I like it there. I need to look into joining a gun club around here anyways since Chickahominy is almost an hour away for me and I want to shoot more often, but I really liked knowing my taxes were being put to good use somewhere.