Pueblo Steel Matches [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pueblo Steel Matches

Hoser
05-08-2007, 08:11
If you are looking for something to do on a Tuesday afternoon/evening then head to Pueblo.

Pueblo will once again start our weekly steel matches. Every Tuesday until (dove season) Sept. I am the overall Match Director, but I will also have help from Rod and Teri, Stuart, Chris and Craig.

Start time will be anytime after 4:30-ish and we will finish up around dusk. If you show up early and want to shoot, you can shoot till you are done and leave. Depending on when it gets dark, you can pretty much show up whenever, till 6:00-6:30 or so, and shoot till last light.

Same type stages and scoring as last year. Four runs on the same stage and we throw out your worst run. Its all time based.

Like last time we will have separate divisions for different guns. Open, where anything goes. Limited, iron sights and no comps. Revolver, round guns with no comps. Cowboy, any legal SASS gun. Rimfire. Anything goes as long as it is a rimfire. No holster required for the rimfire division. All other divisions draw from a holster. No minimum power factor for ammo or calibers.

Some have asked about a pistol caliber carbine, like 9mm AR-15s, division... Sure. As long as its safe, come on out.

You dont have to be a member of IPSC, USPSA, IDPA or anything. These matches just like all of them in Pueblo are open to the public.

Bring 100-150 rounds and $10.

Hope to see you there.

Hoser

Hoser
05-09-2007, 07:56
18 people made out last night and a good time was had by all.

First shots for a few of the early crew went downrange by 4:45 and some were back on the road by 6:00. Most of the rest of us stayed till 7:30 or so and just banged away and BS'ed.

And you dont have to be a Pueblo West member, IPSC/IDPA member, or a member of anything to shoot these matches. They are open to the public.

Results went out a while ago. Contact me at pueblosteel AT juno.com if you want them or didnt get them.

Hoser
05-25-2007, 11:17
Matches are still going strong.

We have had all types of people with all sorts of different guns show up.

Everything from 22s to cowboy guns to AR-15s in pistol calibers.

Last match we dodged the rain. After the match a few of us just played for a while shooting all the new steel.

Come Sept you will have another 8 months to think of an excuse why you cant make it out.

If you dont have fun or learn something I will gladly refund your match fee.

mikeone
06-12-2007, 00:41
sounds like a good time i cant beleive ive been missing this.:banana:

Hoser
06-12-2007, 07:52
It *is* a great time. Not a lot of pressure. Not a ton of people. You can shoot the whole match in 45-90 minutes. No taping targets, no lugging steel around, and if it rains the targets can still be shot when wet, ect...

Come on out. I bet you have more fun than if you stayed at home.

mikeone
06-12-2007, 18:27
I gonna watch the USPSA shoot at Ben Lamond this weekend.

So Ill be all hyped up when tuesday comes.

Can you email me directions.

Imepwon@aol.com

Im from denver the drive is not that bad

looks like ive got a every tuesday night shoot to go to.

Ill try and round up some friends.

Thanks Mike P.

Hoser
06-13-2007, 12:18
Try going here for directions. http://www.ecouspsa.com/maps/pppsmap.html

We occasionally have a Denver shooter or two come down. Maybe you can arrange a car pool or something.

Last night I decided to shoot a stage with my IPSC Shotgun for a little practice with it before the Johnson 3-gun match in 2 weeks. Fun times.

Bring out them shotguns.

Hoser
06-13-2007, 12:22
Originally posted by mikeone
I gonna watch the USPSA shoot at Ben Lamond this weekend.

See you there. I am on squad 8. Ask around for Hoser or Tom Freeman.

mikeone
06-13-2007, 18:15
Good deal im stoked.

Hoser
06-18-2007, 11:34
All is a go for tomorrows match.

Hope to see some of you there.

Hoser
06-20-2007, 08:26
Great turnout last night. Over 20 people shot over 30 different guns. The shotgun idea turned out better than I thought. 9 people opted to also shoot a shotgun in the match. 4 people shot pistol, rifle and shotgun last night.

84 rounds for pistol and rifle minimum and 64 for shotgun.

And a few people asked about if a 10/22 or some other rifle was legal. Sure. If it goes bang and doesnít put holes in my steel, its legal.

There was plenty of new shooters and a couple old friends.

Same time next week guys. What do you have to loose.

Hoser
06-25-2007, 19:05
230 views of this thread and not one single taker?

I triple (yes, thats a triple) dog dare one of you to come out... Be a man among men.

If you dont have fun or at least learn something, I will happily refund your money.

Hoser
06-27-2007, 17:57
Man.

Everyone that stayed home can rest easy knowing that you got beat by two girls last night...

The-Fly
06-27-2007, 22:19
Hozer, I'd love to shoot at your matches, but I am at the other end of the state.

Hoser
06-29-2007, 08:02
It was recommended to me that maybe if I posted some pics of what a Pueblo Steel Challenge type stage looks like, more people might give it a try.

Here is what the three stages from earlier this week looked like.

Stage 1. From the small box you shoot the small white poppers that are called Colt Speed Plates or grasshoppers. Move to the second box and shoot the two large poppers and finish on the orange popper. The orange popper stops the clock. The average time was around 15-20 seconds for all eight hits. Shotgun times ran as low as 7.93 seconds.
http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Match-Pics/Steel_1.sized.jpg

Stage 2. From the box that I took the picture from you shoot all six of the plates on the plate rack and finish on the popper on the left. The small black plate lives at the range and isnt part of the stage. Average time was around 11 seconds. Shotgun times ran as low as 3.66 seconds.
http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Match-Pics/Steel_2.sized.jpg

Stage 3. All shots taken from the box I am standing in while taking this pic. Shooting all the plates starting from either the right or left ending on the last plate. Again, the black plate 45 yards away isnt part of this stage. This stage is much more typical of a true Steel Challenge stage using the 10 inch round plates and 18x24 squares. As the plates are held up by 2x4s, we dont shoot shotgun on this stage. Average time on this stage was 15-18 seconds.
http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Match-Pics/Steel_3.sized.jpg

Below is Rainman shooting stage 3. And quite well I might add. He won the Iron sight division with a total time just over 78 seconds. Meaning he shot each of the above stages four times and we threw out the worst time on each stage. Meaning his average time, per run, on a stage was under 9 seconds, with a stock Beretta... Not some high dollar ultra tuned 1911 with 29 round mags ect. Total minimum round count for the pistol match was 80 rounds and shotgun was 50. The shotgun round count was higher than normal cause we shot four runs instead of the normal three. Every week the stages get changed around just to keep it new and fun. You can usually count on one easier stage, one more difficult stage and one that makes you aim and squeeze. Hope to see you out there sometime. If you shoot the match and donít have fun or learn something, just ask me for your money back. No problem.

http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Match-Pics/Steel_4.sized.jpg

Hoser
07-03-2007, 07:48
Anyone coming out tonight? Only two months and 8 matches left. You might run out of excuses...

TheFly, you have an excuse.

Hoser
07-08-2007, 06:23
Originally posted by mikeone
looks like ive got a every tuesday night shoot to go to.
Havent seen you yet... The matches are still going on rain or shine.

Hoser
07-11-2007, 07:56
18 people last night. Lots of shotguns and carbines also. Tons of fun.

Had a couple stragglers show up at 6:15 and we got them finished up by 7:00.

Same time next week. Dont be scared...

Hoser
07-16-2007, 08:12
Only six more chances to see how well your Glock can do.

cdrissel
07-22-2007, 20:38
Hoser,

Is the gate going to be open or are you using the Blue lock?

Hoser
07-23-2007, 12:58
Originally posted by cdrissel
Is the gate going to be open or are you using the Blue lock?
Blue lock, 2506 combo.

Hoser
07-25-2007, 08:16
Great time last night. Lots of shotguns, carbines and pistols giving lead back to the enviornment.

The triple dog dare still stands.

How about I say your first steel match as a GT member is free? Any takers now? Its friggin free...

Hoser
07-27-2007, 16:57
It will be a sad day when this thread hits 400 or more views and not a single taker. Even when a free match has been offered.

Thats ok though.

In case anyone cares, the matches wont stop 01 Sept afterall. Most all of us shooters agreed to keep going with the matches till daylight becomes a factor. In fact, everyone predicted a rise in attendance with the temps coming down to a dull roar.

And this is great practice for the IDPA State Match (Pueblo)and GSSF Match (Greeley) thats coming up fast.

cdrissel
07-28-2007, 12:32
Ok, Hozer, I'll take that double dog dare!!!!

Actually I was planning on getting down there last week but ran out of time.

See you Tuesday! Good to hear it won't end in September. :banana:

cdrissel
07-30-2007, 09:42
Sorry........

"Triple dog dare"

:notworthy:

cdrissel
07-30-2007, 09:52
As a novice shotgun shooter. What kind of ammo should I get if I wanted to shoot shotgun? I have a Rem 870 (2 3/4").

Thanks

Hoser
08-01-2007, 08:13
What kind of ammo should I get if I wanted to shoot shotgun?

Most guys are running #7.5 size shot and 3 dram ammo. You dont really need heavy duty hunting ammo but you might want to choke up to a mod just to help us (and you) see the hits. The small poppers at 13-15 years dont move much when you only put a few pellets on them. I use #4 or #6 loaded around 3 dram just cause its my IPSC load.

I like it when guys shoot Remington STS or Winchester AA ammo and leave their hulls behind for me...

However, no steel shot. At all. It bounces back.

Hoser
08-01-2007, 08:21
"Triple dog dare"

And Charlie is the first man among men to take me up on the triple dog dare.

Great shooting last night Charlie. You smoking fast till the plate rack... Which plates gave you fits? None of them were easy. In fact, half (the pesky popper and the devils triangles) of them were officially hard by anyones standards.

Maybe next match I will load up a plate rack with nothing but pesky poppers... And hope I dont get "accidentally" shot.

I guess I should hang up my 22 and shoot some centerfire just to make sure people dont think I squat to pee all the time.

The free first match offer still stands.

cdrissel
08-01-2007, 08:24
Thanks!

Great match last night!!!!

Looks like I was the only one who was willing to take up the triple dog dare. No first match fee for GT shooters paid for the gas.

I don't know if I can make it again next week, since there is a Monday night IPSC match at WPGC.

Had a blast. This type of shooting will help improve my IPSC shill and is fun to boot.

Let's see more Glock shooters come out and give it a try, you will be hooked!

:banana:

Hoser
08-06-2007, 08:10
Only 4-6 matches left till 2008...

See you tomorrow.

Hoser
08-15-2007, 08:03
Results for last nights match went out a few minutes ago. Let me know if you didnt get them.

4 maybe 5 matches left...

cdrissel
08-25-2007, 18:50
Hozer,

Looks like I can make it to this Tuesday "night" Steel match! Are we starting at 4ish?

Also, I just picked up some shotgun ammo and a 31 rnd 9mm Glock mag.

If you bring out your new toy again, I've got some 9mm ammo we need to shoot up.

Let me know.

:banana:

Hoser
08-27-2007, 20:21
Hey Charlie. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. I have been out of town for a bit. Was down in Raton shooting the Sportsmans Team Challenge. To say shooting steel all summer got Craig and I tuned up would be an understatement.

Hoser
09-02-2007, 21:08
Couple matches left...

Hoser
09-05-2007, 14:22
21 people last night.

Plan on matches to keep going till the end of Sept.

Hoser
09-12-2007, 07:29
Fun time last night. Set up by 4:00 and done shooting around 6:15. The weather was perfect.

I broke out my 10/22 just for grins. I was exactly 3.0 seconds slower for the whole match compared to a handgun. I guess a rifle *is* a little slower in close due to the heavier weight making target transitions slower. And the Kidd 2 stage trigger isnt my first choice for a fast trigger. Maybe for tight shots past 50 yards, but not up close.

Scores went out last night around 10:00. Let me know if you didnt get them.

Hoser
09-17-2007, 15:16
Only two matches left.

Tomorrow and the 24th.

cpkamk
09-22-2007, 07:11
Hozer, I just moved to CO (Bailey) in May and just found your string of posts related to your Pueblo matches. Work takes me to Pueblo about 1x a month and I usually stay at the Hampton Inn-Southgate, next to the dog track. This leads me to 3 questions. 1) How far is that from the range? and 2) It seems your shoots are over for the year, anymore shooting this fall? 3) Please tell me you'll start up again in the spring? It sounds like too much fun!!

Thanks - Chris

Hoser
09-23-2007, 22:59
1. Southgate is about 20-25 minutes from the range.

2. Weekday matches are over after this Tuesday. They will start again in May 2008. The matches are most likely going to move to Wednesday afternoons.

3. Yes we will, without a doubt, start steel matches again even if only *one* person from GT was man enough to make it out.

Next years matches are actually going to be a little easier. Several (not many, but more than four and less than six) people thought the stages were too hard. The average shot was/is a 6 inch plate at 25-35 feet. Next year I will have 10 and 12 inch round plates, 18x24 plates and 12 inch triangles. 2 of the 3 stages will be Steel Challenge stages. I might also go to 4 stages and score the best two out of 3 runs.

Hoser
09-26-2007, 09:19
The results for the last match of 2007 went out last night.

Those of you that never came out, you missed a good time. If it was easy, girls cold do it.