My son just enlisted! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My son just enlisted!

WI-Guy
05-08-2007, 20:19
Wife is not so excited because she swears he is coming home in a bag from Iraq. I am proud that he made another good decision for himself.

He graduated High School, he is an Eagle Scout, and he returned from his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) in March. Now he is on to serve his country!

So, that being said - what does a 21 year-old young man need to know and do to be the best Marine available? He is drilling with the delayed entry group and doing calesthenics at home. I have taught him how to shoot Glock, rem 870 and .22s. I am thinking about getting a Beretta 92FS and an AR-15 for him to practice with as well.

His entry date will be August something so he has a few months.

What do you more experienced leathernecks think he should do to prepare?

02LimitedX
05-09-2007, 06:31
I personally bought an AR-15 just for fun. But after I enlisted in the DEP I purcased a Beretta M9 for practice. Push ups, situps and running all need to be worked on. I ship in August also, to PI.

Ignition
05-09-2007, 12:16
nothing wrong with having fun shooting and such before going in

but by and large the Marines that shoot the best are the ones that havent formed bad habits already.

becoming the "best Marine" i dunno....

earning the title Marine.... good for him.

Run and run alot. Learn not to take things personal and never give up

The rest will be sorted out by Drill Instructors

Doesnt hurt to learn rank structure. Down side to learning that is once he hits the yellow footprints everyone, but recruits, will be SIR or Ma'am

Study some Marine Corps history.

Best thing he can do, he already has... made the choice. Now its his job to man up and earn the title

grats

Grim Jackal
05-11-2007, 20:33
Run, push-ups and leg lifts/flutterkicks...everything else will be taught the Marine way.

usmc0341
05-15-2007, 18:13
Originally posted by Grim Jackal
Run, push-ups and leg lifts/flutterkicks...everything else will be taught the Marine way.
+1:thumbsup:

05-19-2007, 18:43
Help him to understand that he will be in an environment that is not politically correct. Nor is it forgiving. Nothing matters during Boot Camp except making Civilians into Marines. Being an R.M. he knows how to follow rules, the difference is the shock in the application/teaching methods that comes the first 2 or 3 days.

The most important thing is to make sure he listens and does what he is told to do. Being in average fair shape (Height to Weight) will only help the first week or two.

The USMC has been making Marines for a long time. They know what they are doing. Let them do what they do better than anyone else. They work on a common denominator.

The most amazing thing about the Marines is finding Former Marines and thinking WOW, How did they make it.

Well, even I did it and finished my enlistment as a Corporal of Marines.

Try to go to his Graduation. You will be amazed.

Good Luck, Am looking forward to be able to give him a Semper Fi and call him Marine.

inkslut
05-23-2007, 20:47
to be the best Marine?

-run

- keep your mouth shut in boot and listen and do everything fast

-run

- let the PMI teach him to shoot, don't buy an AR-15 so he can learn bad habits

- run

- and in your free time, run

and in between all that tell him thanks for making a great decison that will help him out the rest of his life and for serving his country in a time of need.

Semper Fi

pjva04
05-25-2007, 04:31
The recruiter should have a "Green Monster" or another type of study book. He should study as much as he can from that book as possible. Skip the shooting, let the PMI's handle that.

I think running was mentioned...good idea, a perfect PFT when I was in was an 18 minute 3 mile...and Marines always strive for perfection. He should be strengthening his legs, too. They take a lot of pounding in the Corps. Pushups, Dips, situps, crunches, flutterkicks should be done to failure, because that is how he will be doing them in PI (alternate exercises so they are being done every other day 3 sets each). Pullups are also a big one, since they are tested (20 dead hang is perfect...and expected). I have heard they have moved to the crunch from the situp, but general ab work will suffice here. If you have access to a swimming pool, he should be doing laps at least every other day (alternate with running).

I didn't do any of the above prep work before I went in 1990, but I did have the right mental attitude which is the most important thing. He needs to be resigned to the fact he wont get much sleep, nothing will make sense, he will encounter personalities that may offend him, etc... but being able to deal with all that are parts of being a Marine.

...oh yeah, remember that he needs to RUN!

awilless
05-27-2007, 18:15
PULL UPS, and of course run.
That is the best way to get a good PFT.

Hike around with a big ass pack - that is going to happen quite a bit.

Do everything fast and learn that even if you could complete something so fast that it was done before they tell you, you are still too slow.

Cut out any caffine whatsoever, one less thing he needs withdrawls from, needs to take sleep deprivation strait up.

Don't ever go to medical or say anything is wrong with you unless your pecker is going to fall off.

That is a pretty good start, but even if you don't do any of that, you will probably be as set as 99% of everybody there, as long as you are a bit smarter than a rock and never give up, it is still going to suck for three months... unless he goes to MRP (medical recovery platoon) then it could be longer.

Slateman
05-29-2007, 10:08
Running and pull ups. Thats the best thing. Also, swimming will help.

AdminJarhead
06-05-2007, 11:22
I have seen the results of what happens when a recruit forgets that it's the Marine Corps. Here is some simple G-2 (knowledge) to help your son out:

1)Sunday to Sunday, Chow to Chow

2)I, me, my, we, us, you, they, them don't exhist on the Island. It's this recruit or that recruit or these recruits, etc...

3)Make friends with the laundry recruit, the scribe, and your squad leader

4)They are Drill Instructors, not DIs or Drill Sergeants

5)DONT EVER USE THE SCUTTLE BUTT ON THE QUARTER DECK!!!

6)Always left over right

7)Always secure your footlocker

8)Always pull on your lock 3 times to make sure your sea bag, rifle cable and footlocker are secured.

9)Don't write letters in the rack after lights out

10)Don't look in the port holes of Senior's "house"

11)When you're on the quarterdeck, put out

12)It's not Basic Training, it's Recruit Training, there is nothing Basic about it...

13)Keep your mail private, and don't let anyone send you anything that isn't a piece of paper.

14)One arms distance for your safety and "mine"

15)You can't get away with anything, they already expect you to do it, so don't try it

More to come...

OD GASTON
06-05-2007, 11:45
Have him to memorize the "General Orders"....always good to know if your asked.;)

Do not send food of any kind while he his there.

Buy alot of stamps and stay in touch...letters from home mean ALOT when you are there.

Practice....Site picture,sight alignment. I would hate for him to have to wear that MARKSMAN badge.

Tell him... DO NOT VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bbsmyers
06-06-2007, 16:35
If he is writing a letter home to someone and makes derogatory comments about any of the Drill Instructors, don't let them read the letter. I remember one recruit likening the DI in receiving to the Mr Planter's peanut guy. Looking back it was amusing, but then it seemed like certain doom.