Meatballs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Meatballs

m1shooter
05-09-2007, 02:51
Alright guys Im thinking about making meatballs instead of getting the store bought stuff, does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share?

tat2guy
05-09-2007, 07:51
I never use an actual recipie, just add stuff to texture and taste, but it's pretty much the same as meatloaf without any BBQ sauce or ketchup or whatever in it.

Ground beef
bread crums
egg
oregano, onion powder, garlic powder

ball 'em, bake 'em, pop 'em in the spaghetti sauce!

K.C. Dia
05-09-2007, 09:05
Originally posted by tat2guy
I never use an actual recipie, just add stuff to texture and taste, but it's pretty much the same as meatloaf without any BBQ sauce or ketchup or whatever in it.

Ground beef
bread crums
egg
oregano, onion powder, garlic powder

ball 'em, bake 'em, pop 'em in the spaghetti sauce!

A 50-50 percent mixture of ground beef (80-20) and ground pork (unseasoned) makes them juicier. Sometimes if I don't have any bread crumbs, I will substitute white bread soaked in a little milk.

JohniusMaximus
05-09-2007, 15:43
Here's my method.

Decide how much you want. Grind up equal parts lamb (or veal), pork, and beef. Add a whole egg (about 1 per pound of meat), homemade breadcrumbs, oregano, parsley, garlic (fresh...chop the cloves yourself...I demand it), fresh grated Romano cheese, salt and pepper. Use your hands to blend it. Roll it into balls. Put some olive oil in a skillet and heat it up. Sear the meatballs in the olive oil until you get a nice crust on at least two sides. They're not done yet!

Pre-heat your oven to about 350. Stick the meatballs in there until done. In my oven it takes maybe 15 minutes. You might have to sacrifice one or two to see if they're totally done.

I never liked the results of finishing the meatballs in the redsauce. I started using the oven and have been happier with that finish.

There's no set recipe. Just play around with it.

m1shooter
05-09-2007, 16:55
Thanks for the replies fellas, Im thinking one day next week is going to be Italian night!:eat:

The Pontificator
05-09-2007, 17:07
here's a recipe from "The Barefoot Contessa". Bet she eats a LOT of this!

:animlol: :rofl: :animlol: :rofl:

For some odd reason, posting a .txt file to this site causes all formatting to be dropped and the file is one large paragraph.

I don't know why. Sorry about that.

lethal tupperwa
05-09-2007, 20:53
2 lbs. meat, cut into 1 inch pieces(use any combination of
beef, pork, veal, pancetta, ham and salami ends)
1/4 c. good quality olive oil
2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 Tbs. mashed or pressed garlic
4 -5 slices bread, crusts removed, soaked in 1/2 c. milk
3 eggs
2 oz. Parmesan cheese finely grated
1/2 c. golden raisins very finely chopped
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 tsp. dry oregano
1 tsp. dry basil
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Stir the meat together with the olive oil, vinegar and garlic.
Cover and let marinate for at least an hour. Soak the bread
in the milk to soften, then crumble it with your fingers.
Grind the meat in a meat grinder, using the medium sized
attachment. Mix in the crumbled, milk-soaked bread, eggs, cheese, chopped raisins, parsley, oregano, basil, fennel, salt and pepper.
Using your hands, combine the mixture until well blended, then knead until the meatball mix develops a slightly firm, cohesive texture.
Form meatballs by pinching off about an ounce of meat between
your thumb and forefingers, then roll in the palms to form a smooth, firm ball, about the size of a walnut. Place the finished meatballs on a
baking sheet.
To cook the meatballs, fry in olive oil until brown and cooked through,
about 8 minutes. For Louie’s spaghetti and meatballs, drop raw meatballs
in simmering tomato sauce for 10-12 minutes, then toss with pasta and serve.
Makes about 6 dozen walnut-sized meatballs.

Mild Bill
05-10-2007, 18:26
Really nice ideas doods...

I like the bread soaked in milk thing too... It adds little areas of creaminess in some bites...

I get a flavorful Baguette or something--- slice it into discs and toast em' golden brown---
then I soak them in some Half & Half, and then squoosh into the mix...

Sometimes I'll hide a little cube of fresh Mozzarella in the middle of the meata balla...

:beer:

jame
05-15-2007, 21:37
I used to work for a company that made these little bites from heaven, as well as other cooked pizza toppings, taco meats, etc. and got in on the biggest secret of meatballs.....

Use TVP, finely chopped tofu, or bread crumbs, your choice of spices (include salt!) and let it sit over night in the fridge.

Now, (this tip from a cookbook) roll it out under some waxed paper to a flat sheet about 1" thick. Cut that sheet into 1" squares. Roll those little ground meat chunks into balls and place on a cookie sheet, and bake until done.

PERFECT meatballs!