Thoughts On The Honda Element>? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On The Honda Element>?

ULVER
05-10-2007, 16:33
I am looking at a new vehicle for me, my wife, and the two kids. I love my big, powerful Police Interceptor, but my instant family hs changed much...and so has the price of fuel!

My bud has a Honda Element. He likes it a lot. My mom just got a new Camry. I like it's solid reliability, but it's very boring in many ways. The Element was a lot more fun to drive.

I would like opinions on the Honda, and also what you would have your eye on for:
A/Reliability
B/MPG
C/Fun to drive/roadtrip typ vehicle

:thumbsup: :wavey: Thanks for any help!

Markie
05-10-2007, 16:52
The element is a great little car, no problems in the 2+ years that I have had it. If two kids are all you are planning, it will be perfect; another kid will force you to get something bigger...

Me and the sweetie took it on a long weekend recently, and slept without problems on the fold down seats. It was a touch uncomfortable (the gap in-between the seats), but it is manageable. A small futon (maybe twin) would make the car VERY comfortable to sleep in for more than a night or two.

Positives...
** It can double as a camper (seats fold down and there are some aftermarket shades you can buy for the windows.
** It gets more than 300 miles on 15 gallons of gas.
** Floors you can wash off with ease.
** Manual Gear Shift
** Good sound system
** All wheel drive
** Its a Honda, no expensive maintenance.
** The backseats pop out completely.

Negatives...
** I have heard of lack of power in the automatics. The 4 cylinder engine is pretty small (but with the stick shift, you can make it do all sorts of good things.)
** It can be a little noisy. The sound of the road, the background noise, is a little more than I was used to.

See if you can borrow your buddies for the weekend or something, it is a good little ride. It was the first new car I ever purchased... There is another website out there, much like glocktalk that has all sorts of info. I forget the name, but if I remember, I will post it...

Good luck.
Mark

ULVER
05-10-2007, 17:14
Thanks brother! Nice post!:banana:

I guess I should point out, we ARE going to get an automatic something, Element or not.

The two kid thingy is in stone. No more. I would like to be able to seat one more, but I don't know if it matters as much as the other details.:thumbsup:

cash
05-15-2007, 17:09
I'll pretty much echo what the other guy said. My wife has an 04 she bought new. We've had no substantive problems with it. My wife is a veterinarian and dog lover (4 pugs!!) and it's perfect for her needs.

2 complaints: Noisy on the highway and the windshield chips easily. Other than that, in 3 years and almost 30k miles, we've changed the oil and that's it.

The stock tires aren't that great. We need to put tires on it, and I'm going to put good tires on it this summer and hopefully that will help with the noise.

Swanny
05-17-2007, 23:11
We just looked at one and ended up with a Prius instead. The main concern for us was fuel costs, and the Element only gets about 25 MPG. It's a box on wheels, so it has to push a lot of air and that drives down the fuel efficiency. That said, we both loved the Element. It was fun to drive and was practical.

Scrappy
05-22-2007, 19:57
Looks like a Milk truck or something. My sister- n- law has one and loves it for her big dogs! It does look much better now since they color matched the outside and got rid of that plastic look.
Gas miles are not very good because it has the aerodynamics of a barn!

ShipWreck
05-22-2007, 21:08
I have looked at them many times, and I like the way they look. But, I drive a lot for work - and the gas mileage has been what stops me. I read up on it a few years ago. Apparently, it is very, very heavy. It has a 4 cylinder with a lot of HP for a 4 cylinder, but the weight of the vehicle hurts the gas mileage (at least that is what the article I read claimed). Since it gets mileage comparable to 6 cylinders, that's why i couldn't go with it.

If I didn't drive so far to get to work everyday, I would have gotten 1.

epsylum
05-23-2007, 18:12
How about another suggestion? Subaru Outback. My dad just got one and it is sweet. It has a good amount of room and the rear seats fold flat. AWD, like all Subarus. It can be had with a turbo, but that will drive down the MPG and drive up the cost (not to mention turbo = premium gas). The Subaru 2.5 boxer 4 is very reliable and makes good power for what it is.

I have an '02 Legacy GT Limited (manual) with the same 2.5 in it and I get a real world 25 MPG in it around town. I hardly do any highway driving and I can get 350+ miles out of the 14 gallon tank. In the snow it is a thing of beauty. Last winter I was watching people slip and slide and spin their tires everywhere. I drove in to work on un-plowed streets with about a foot and a half of snow and it was almost too easy. I and a guy in an Audi A6 Quattro were driving like it was a nice summer day while passing cars stuck in ditches.

ULVER
05-23-2007, 19:43
I just got back from test driving the new SC Element. It's a bit less "boxy", and a tad more refined. Sits a bit lower. Looking for a more urban market. It rides nice!:thumbsup:

Some things I DO NOT get though:sad: :

The SC is the top of the line, but they don't offer it in AWD, though the two lesser models are>???

The SC doesn't have the option for a sun/moon roof, either, though the other two do.>???

And most strange of all, NONE of the big road boxes, have the option for the Honda Navigation System---but you can get it on the damn Civic!!!

Just don't get it...

Anyway the salesman said, having a sun/moon roof installed by a shop, is like $250 these days. He didn't mention if a Honda shop could do it.

Also, he said that it's better to buy a Garmin (I think that was the name)Navigational System, that you can use in other vehicles.

If anyone knows anything about getting either a Navigational System or a Sun/moon roof, :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: I'm listening!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am looking at everything still...

ShipWreck
05-23-2007, 20:33
Check out the Toyota Matrix. It looks like it is car height, but if U park it next to other cars, U will see that it is taller. Lots of room, and sporty looking too.

pugman
05-24-2007, 17:29
Originally posted by cash
I'll pretty much echo what the other guy said. My wife has an 04 she bought new. We've had no substantive problems with it. My wife is a veterinarian and dog lover (4 pugs!!) and it's perfect for her needs.

2 complaints: Noisy on the highway and the windshield chips easily. Other than that, in 3 years and almost 30k miles, we've changed the oil and that's it.

The stock tires aren't that great. We need to put tires on it, and I'm going to put good tires on it this summer and hopefully that will help with the noise.

Oh man, my wife has a twin...we have a CRV, which granted isn't an element, but I believe they are on the built on the same platform, she is a Vet and yes, we have 3 pugs!

A buddy of mine bought an element for one reason--EVERYTHING inside can be washed down. I've driven them, and they do seem a bit less peppy than my wife's CRV, but I can see them as a great utility vehicle and duh, its a Honda.

Scrappy
05-24-2007, 18:35
Oh and dont forget the suicide doors that have no support!

New
05-31-2007, 14:19
I have not read any of the responses, but:

They have to be one of the most un-safe vehicles on the road. They have the suicide doors, as you know, and in the event of anything hitting the front fenders, it causes that door to not open because the fender wedges itself behind the door so it can't open.

My Mother has one, and a deer bumped into her when she was stopped, not moving. She was unable to open the door.

So, if both the front fenders are munched under, there are no exits.

PAPACHUCK
06-01-2007, 10:11
2nd most fugly car on the road. Only behind the Scion.

flynjump
06-03-2007, 23:14
[QUOTE][i]

Also, he said that it's better to buy a Garmin (I think that was the name)Navigational System, that you can use in other vehicles. [QUOTE](i)

Yep Garmin is the name he mentioned for the GPS. They wrote the book on navigation systems. I have had a Garmin handheld in my Cessna 182 Skylane for over 10 years. And they make great systems for automobiles. I have one which I switch between cars.

I just bought a new Chevy Malibu, picked it up Feb 20th and now have 7800 miles on it, so gas mileage was important to me. I average 32 - 35 mpg on the highway and 27 - 31 around town. It has the base four cylinder but has more than enough power. Seats 5 comfortably and the rear seat does fold flat. If you don't need all wheel drive capability (I also have a Grand Cherokee for snow days) the Malibu has been stone cold reliable and very comfortable to drive. Not sexy or anything but does what I bought it for. And the best warranty of any US manufacturer....

Rob1035
06-05-2007, 05:11
Check out the Honda Fit, should meet your MPG needs...

I agree about the GPS, I have Garmin Nuvi, and it is fantastic, will go in any car, and didn't tack on $1500+ to the purchase price of any of the cars I've bought like most built in systems. :supergrin:

wthomas
06-08-2007, 14:07
Originally posted by PAPACHUCK
2nd most fugly car on the road. Only behind the Scion.

:thumbsup:

AngryBassets
06-25-2007, 22:52
I've owned one for a year now. It's the family truckster/wife's car.

Reliability: No problems at all.

Mileage: It's ok. Not good, not bad.

Power: It's an underpowered box. My car is a 2007 GTI, which is just fast and my beater is a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 six. That thing is a torque monster. That said, the Honda isn't sloooow, but it's the slowest thing in my driveway--by far.

Versatility: Best non-minivan for a couple with two kids. My 4 year old can't kick the seatback and there's no issue with strapping the baby in. Plenty of room for junk, and you can wipe down the interior. Cold AC. AWD so it handles great in the rain and snow.

Looks: People will look at you and say, "Boy, that gay fellow taking his sister and her kids to the mall sure is driving an ugly car".

PM me if you have any other questions.

AngryBassets
06-25-2007, 23:00
Originally posted by ULVER
Some things I DO NOT get though:sad: :

The SC is the top of the line, but they don't offer it in AWD, though the two lesser models are>???

The SC doesn't have the option for a sun/moon roof, either, though the other two do.>???

Only AWDs come with the sunroof. If you live somewhere where it a)rains OR b) snows, get the AWD.

Also, I've never heard of an aftermarket sunroof without problems.

Compare a TomTom, Garmin, Magellan, etc to the CRAP nav systems manufacturers are equipping their cars with. They are junk. Aftermarket FTW when it comes to that stuff. Which reminds me: I really like the radio in my EX-P. Boomin' subwoofer. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/804.gif