Uninstalling VISTA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling VISTA

BobRicks
05-11-2007, 10:22
I installed an upgrade version of VISTA Home Premium on my Dell desktop a while back, and now the computer is starting to make serious noise when booting up. Probably a cooling fan on cpu or fan on power supply or something like that. Am thinking of building another system to replace this older dell. I can put a legal copy of XP Pro on whatever hard drive I use for this build. My question is later on if I want to upgrade it to VISTA, can I use the upgrade version I purchased since it will be uninstalled off of the old computer? Would I need to contact MS for some kind of numbers to put in on the install?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

chbix
05-11-2007, 10:38
you should have a cd key that came with the upgrade. Use the same one.

lens
05-11-2007, 11:42
Legally speaking . . .

As long as it is NOT an OEM version (Retail is fine), you can transfer it from one machine to another. The legal limit is that you can only have one license on one machine at a time.

OEM versions are a lot cheaper and come with the added legal restriction that it is forever "married" (sorry . . . no divorces or annulments allowed by MS) to the machine it was originally installed on. Additional note: If it is a "branded" OEM version, it is usually "modified" so that it will only install on the same brand (and sometimes same model) machine . . . this is done by the computer mfr under license from Microsoft and not Microsoft itself.

malkore
05-11-2007, 15:36
lens has the right answer here.

you should be able to register Vista on the new machine...or you may have to call MS and explain that you moved it, so they can have their system allow it to be registered again.

c6601a
05-15-2007, 01:53
A couple of years back someone tried this experiment. He wiped the hard drive on an old computer and reinstalled the OEM Windows XP on it a couple of time. After a few tries, it refused to validate and he had to call Microsoft. He explained that the unreliable OS crashed and he had to reinstall it. They apologized for the inconvenience and gave him a new install code. He kept reinstalling on the same machine about once a week and called Microsoft about a dozen times and every time he got an apology and a new install code without any hassle.

It appears that the deterrent mechanism is that most people stealing the OS would not want to call Microsoft. If you gather the guts and call them they have no choice but to give you a new code because they have no way of proving that what you are saying is not true.